Author Topic: Metzeler Roadtec 01  (Read 1204 times)

Offline GIant81

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12285
  • Membership Level: Active
Metzeler Roadtec 01
« on: April 16, 2017, 01:07:23 pm »
I'm looking at a pair of the Roadtec 01's and wondering.  Is there any reason not to get the HWM version? 

I'm running an 09, C14, and I'm 6'9", 300lb. So it's essentially running two up with just me on the bike. 

I've also heard that they tend to wear down to a wide flat center stripe.  And that a 55 series tire tends to stand up a bit taller, causing more of an inverted V profile. 

What I'm hoping is that taking a flatter profile tire like the Roadtec 01, and buying a 55 series size will give it a bit more rounded shape, then since they are HWM models, they will last longer. 

They are also cheaper than the PRT4's. 

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11323
Re: Metzeler Roadtec 01
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 06:38:25 pm »
Hi,
         Have you tried the Angel "A" Specs???? ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline GIant81

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12285
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 11:21:32 pm »
I know it feels like on the forums that the PRT4's and Angels are the only thing to use, and I almost bought a set myself, but after seeing a review by F9 about how the angels are great for more aggressive riders, but not as good for more timid riders, It looked like the Roadtec 01's are going to be a better tire for me.

I do a lot of "two up" (well myself, at 300lb) highway miles on 4 lane or straight 2 lane highways commuting to work in all weather.  I can't drag knee, and as much as I'd love to, I just don't have anywhere I'd feel comfortable doing it, and I'm too big to borrow leathers to ever end up on a track. 

The angel's sound like a solid tire, if you can actually use them.  I can't, so the 01's seem like a better fit. I know they're new, but the reviews seem solid so far. 

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11887
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 01:47:16 pm »
I've just mounted one up on my rear a couple weeks ago, I only have about 30 miles on it, so I cannot give a review- the weather has really been sucking it the last couple months here. But so far I like it, hoping next weekend and the Spring rally will really give it a workout! [crossing fingers on weather]
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750
1983 Honda CB1000 Custom
1990 Kawasaki EX500

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 or Bust!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 10:16:14 pm »
I mounted up a set of these in early Oct., had high hopes for them. 1,500 miles in they started getting noisy while cornering. At 2,500 or so they were squaring off a lot. 60% highway - 40% curves, all loaded. They follow grooves in the road worse than any tire I ever had. Now at 4,100 miles, the deepest tread I can find front or rear is 3/32. There at the wear bars towards the outer quarter.

If I ride them till there slick, I should get 5,000 out of them. Pretty disappointed in them  :'(!

Cliff   :beerchug:

Offline Staylo

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12548
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 11:40:43 pm »
I mounted up a set of these in early Oct., had high hopes for them. 1,500 miles in they started getting noisy while cornering. At 2,500 or so they were squaring off a lot. 60% highway - 40% curves, all loaded. They follow grooves in the road worse than any tire I ever had. Now at 4,100 miles, the deepest tread I can find front or rear is 3/32. There at the wear bars towards the outer quarter.

If I ride them till there slick, I should get 5,000 out of them. Pretty disappointed in them  :'(!

That’s discouraging. Your report seems to conflict with most of the other reports that I’m seeing. Other users are reporting 11,000+ kilometer lives out of their sets. I’m not saying you’re wrong, obviously, I’m just wondering what might account for the discrepancy. I’ve been watching the reports closely because I’m due for a new set next season And I haven’t been happy with the wear pattern on the PR4s, and was really looking at going back to the Metzlers.
Lancaster County, PA
'11 C14

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 or Bust!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 05:33:37 pm »

That’s discouraging. Your report seems to conflict with most of the other reports that I’m seeing. Other users are reporting 11,000+ kilometer lives out of their sets. I’m not saying you’re wrong, obviously, I’m just wondering what might account for the discrepancy. I’ve been watching the reports closely because I’m due for a new set next season And I haven’t been happy with the wear pattern on the PR4s, and was really looking at going back to the Metzlers.

I haven't read any reports so I don't know what they say. I tried them because I've tried everything else out there & you don't know till you try it. Was really hoping to see 7,000 - 8,000 miles out of them. Then maybe I could to drop down to 2 - 3 sets a year instead of 4+ a year that I average now.

11,000 kilometers equals 6,800 miles so I'm not that far off.

Offline Tree

• Tricycle
  • Too many deployments to count. SUBPAC & SUBLANT.
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 06:30:31 pm »
I have only used PR 3's & 4's in the past and Angel GT-A's just recently.  No data for Metzeler so my comparison is between PR & Angel.  I just finished a set of Angels with 12,000 miles of mostly slab commuting while carrying my 240 lbs (conservative).  I am more than happy with the mileage and performance of the Angels vs. PR.

I hope I didn't muddy up the thread but there's a reason why so many riders are on Angels.  Just sayin.  It still comes down to personal preference.
Submarines Once! Submarines Twice! Holy jumping . . . <edit> !

A Sport Bike With Bags.

Offline Throttle 8

• Moped
  • COG#: 12220
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 03:30:49 am »
I put on a set of Roadtec 01's in September to replace the Angel GT A specs. I could not get another set of the Angels, because they were on back order for over a month; so I tried the Roadtec 01's. I have managed about 1500 miles before winter closed in. I will be going back to the Angels when these wear out. The Roadtec's seem to be wearing ok, and the grip seems fine; but they steer WAY HEAVIER than the Angels. They make the bike feel 100 pounds heavier than it did with the Angels. Just my $0.02.
2014  C14 ABS (Metallic Spark Black)
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 or Bust!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 10:16:47 pm »
  I just finished a set of Angels with 12,000 miles of mostly slab commuting while carrying my 240 lbs (conservative).

My last set of Angels was good for 9 days, 4 in GA., 4 in MO., 1 in AR. 3,400 miles total & they were will past worn out. I avoid the slab & don't ever commute.
I can only dream of that kind of mileage.

I tried the Roadtec 01's. I have managed about 1500 miles before winter closed in. I will be going back to the Angels when these wear out. The Roadtec's seem to be wearing ok, and the grip seems fine; but they steer WAY HEAVIER than the Angels. 

I didn't mention that, but steering is much heavier. lots of bar pressure. I'll be going back to Avon's myself!

Offline Lurch71

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 10:33:37 pm »
  I just finished a set of Angels with 12,000 miles of mostly slab commuting while carrying my 240 lbs (conservative).

My last set of Angels was good for 9 days, 4 in GA., 4 in MO., 1 in AR. 3,400 miles total & they were will past worn out. I avoid the slab & don't ever commute.

I tried the Roadtec 01's. I have managed about 1500 miles before winter closed in. I will be going back to the Angels when these wear out. The Roadtec's seem to be wearing ok, and the grip seems fine; but they steer WAY HEAVIER than the Angels. 

I didn't mention that, but steering is much heavier. lots of bar pressure. I'll be going back to Avon's myself!

Have you tried Dunlop Roadsmart 2’s or 3’s?  A co-worker uses them on his Fjr and gets 10-12k off the rear.  That’s mostly freeway riding, 140 miles a day, 4 Days a week. 

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 or Bust!
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 12:58:06 pm »

Have you tried Dunlop Roadsmart 2’s or 3’s?  A co-worker uses them on his Fjr and gets 10-12k off the rear.  That’s mostly freeway riding, 140 miles a day, 4 Days a week.

I've had Roadsmart's & Roadsmart 2's. I didn't like them & best I can remember mileage was around 4,500.

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 02:42:35 pm »

I've had Roadsmart's & Roadsmart 2's. I didn't like them & best I can remember mileage was around 4,500.

Hey Cliff, since you have tested every tire for the connie under the sun, how would you compare PR4's to the Angel (GT-A is it)?
I was thinking about going Roadtec, but after your review, no way jose... which leaves me with the angels... I like to take curves aggressively (speed and lean). Look fwd to your input!  :great:
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline Throttle 8

• Moped
  • COG#: 12220
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 05:08:44 pm »
Jerdurr---if you ride hard the Angel GT A Specs are the tires for you. I might have been a little hard on the Roadtec 01's in my earlier post, they do seem to have pretty good grip; but I don't care for the heavy feel. I will be going back to the Angel's for my next set----they are amazing for riding hard, the bike tips into the corners with them in a way that you cannot believe for a bike this big. :beerchug:
2014  C14 ABS (Metallic Spark Black)
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 or Bust!
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 10:08:38 pm »

Hey Cliff, since you have tested every tire for the connie under the sun, how would you compare PR4's to the Angel (GT-A is it)?
I was thinking about going Roadtec, but after your review, no way jose... which leaves me with the angels... I like to take curves aggressively (speed and lean). Look fwd to your input!  :great:
[/quote]

The Angels are great tires, I would pick them over the 4's any day. Especially for more aggressive riding. The 4's & 3's have all kind of funny wear patterns. I figure that's why they're discontinuing with the 4's so soon. 2's never had those odd patterns. I want buy any more Angels simply because of my mileage results. I need all the miles I can get or maybe a tire sponsor  ;D.

Mileage is subjective though, Tree said he got 12,000, I got 3,400. Everyone of mine were hard miles though, I'll blame it on Steve & his flash though.

Avon 3D-XM's have been the best overall tire for me after going through a dozen sets or so. That's what I'll stick with till something else comes out to try.

Pick something & try it, your results will vary.  :motonoises:

Offline Tree

• Tricycle
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 01:07:51 am »

Mileage is subjective though, Tree said he got 12,000, I got 3,400. Everyone of mine were hard miles though, I'll blame it on Steve & his flash though.

I was very careful with this set of tires.  Basically staying in the same rut in the highway to/from work.  I wanted to take the back roads lots of times but I needed to see how the Angels handled the commute.  The 12K miles is real.  I have Steve's ECO flash and it took a ton of self control to keep that genie in the bottle.   :motonoises:  This next set of Angels I won't be so nice to.   >:D

A Sport Bike With Bags.

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 07:37:30 pm »

I was very careful with this set of tires.  Basically staying in the same rut in the highway to/from work.  I wanted to take the back roads lots of times but I needed to see how the Angels handled the commute.  The 12K miles is real.  I have Steve's ECO flash and it took a ton of self control to keep that genie in the bottle.   :motonoises:  This next set of Angels I won't be so nice to.   >:D

Just to make sure we are comparing apples to apples, are we talking about Pirelli Angel GT, or Regular Angels here? I believe the GTs will give more mileage. Cliff, were you using the GTs or the regular ones?
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 or Bust!
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2017, 01:32:15 pm »

Just to make sure we are comparing apples to apples, are we talking about Pirelli Angel GT, or Regular Angels here? I believe the GTs will give more mileage. Cliff, were you using the GTs or the regular ones?

Mine were standard Angels. I've never used the heavyweight version of any tires. There harder to mount & have a harsher ride. I could be & probably am wrong, but I think the only real difference between the 2 is in the sidewalls. Strictly for load carrying not more mileage.

Offline Tree

• Tricycle
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 10:17:28 pm »
That's what I understand about the Angel GT's.  The 'A' specification refers to a stiff sidewall.  Supposedly better for heavier bikes.  They may be harder to mount/dismount, I can't tell the difference.  I slather on so much Goop that they practically mount themselves.   ;)

A Sport Bike With Bags.

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 10:49:19 pm »
In multiple discussions; Cliff keeps telling us that he gets better mileage out of the Avon 3D-XM's and likes they way they handle.

He rides far more miles than the rest of us, is in Arkansas {that is a known tire wear area}, and I've rode with him, {he's pretty aggressive for an old guy}..  :nananana:

We keep talking about Angels/PR4's/etc etc etc...
I suggest we humor him, and listen to the old grouch. {as he goes thru more tires than anyone I know}..

Personally, I plan to buy a set of them next.

Is anyone else using the Avons? Thoughts?

Ride safe, Ted

PS: There ya go Cliff.
           I talked nice about ya.
                Do you feel better now??  :)
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org