Author Topic: My 2013 Handeling Issue  (Read 1203 times)

Offline DarenLine

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
My 2013 Handeling Issue
« on: May 29, 2017, 03:04:10 pm »
Good day all,

I wanted to share my experience and see if I can get some help and insight about the issue. When I ride my C14 on uneven surfaces the bike gets extremely unstable, specifically when Lane spliting on freeways at jammed traffic, when I go over the white lanes or the shiny reflectors the bike wants to throw me over the cars. It's much more significant at 30-40 miles speed than faster speeds. I'm hoping a new set of tires will help the situation (I currently have continental front 120/70/17 and Angel gt 190/50/17 rear), is this something everyone experience with this bike? Just the characteristic? Steering damper?
None of my other bikes do it to this level as I regularly commute the same route on different bikes.

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: My 2013 Handeling Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 03:15:09 pm »
I don't think anyone has experienced this to that extent.
Some feel the stock suspension parts, must be changed to better component's.
But most of us are reasonably happy with the suspension as it is.
  New component's are definitely better, but something is obviously wrong with yours.

I am NOT a suspension guy. Others will give you better info.
Off hand it sounds like you may have the suspension set extra stiff.
Have you set the sag?
Have you adjusted the damping?

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 02:04:22 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 04:09:22 pm »
What tire inflation are you running?  Most find that 42 psi gives the best all around handling.  How worn are your tires?  That could also be a factor here.  I've never experienced this on my C14, it's always stable.  So something is not right.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 04:57:15 pm »
I haven't experienced your particular problem on pavement. When my 09 was relatively new I went to visit my favorite aunt who lives on a farm in northwest KS. When I turned off the pavement and on to the dirt roads the Connie fought with me wanting to follow invisible ruts.

That time both tires were PR2's. Went back same dirt roads but had a PR3's and then a PR4GT's. I don't know if it was the tires but for some reason the 3's and 4's behaved nicely on subsequent trips out to the farm. I run the recommended air pressure. YMMV. Tim 
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline DarenLine

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 06:58:16 pm »
Thank you all for your quick replies.
I'm not a suspension Guru, and I admit I need to spend more on that area as I'm currently mostly setup for 2 up riding, will start playing with it more to see if there are any changes. I'm running 41 psi, but will need a front tire soon, the rear one is very good, howevr I'm thinking of changing it to 190/55 instead of 50 as I've heard everybody is happy with the bigger tire.

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12056
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 08:47:08 am »
Every motorcycle rides better with matched tread on front and rear.

Offline Jim

• Scooter
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 01:21:15 pm »
Is one tire a bias ply and the other a radial? If so that could be your problem.

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 02:04:17 pm »
To Ted's point, if your suspension isn't set correctly, this can be a huge contributing factor to an unstable ride. Fred Harmon has excellent instructions on how to set up your suspension (I.e. sag and compression damping) in an archived Concourier article. You have to be a COG member to access it, though.

How about posting photos of your current tire treads? Tire conditions can also have a very negative effect on handling.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 11:31:34 pm »
Do you have the OEM tires on? That would be a problem right there especially if they are worn.

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 05:18:58 am »
Do you have the OEM tires on? That would be a problem right there especially if they are worn.
In his opening comments he said he has a Continental on the front and an Angel GT on the rear, so nope, no crappy BT-021s are at fault here.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline angelo

• Bicycle
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 10:48:58 am »
Of course several thousand dollars on suspension upgrades will make any bike better.  But stock on the c14 is plenty good for many circumstances and certainly shouldn't lead to what you are describing. Adjusting the preload and damping will change your ride.  Small incremental steps. 

There is a sticky on the zg forum with some starting points that are pretty good.  There is also a sticky here on the suspension page.  Process here or sample settings there should get you in the ballpark and gain enough understanding to make those minor adjustments. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:56:51 am by angelo »

Offline instructor

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11886
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 11:55:22 am »
When first buying my '12 C14 studied the owners manual on suspension adjustments and made several changes over a fairly short period of time until the bike seemed to do best at either low speeds or high speeds.  Had the suspension way stiffer than it should be at first and after riding over several of those freeze bumps on the Interstate figured I had better soften it up a bit.  Did that and later on softened it up a bit more and with the very recent install of Pirelli GT A5's the bike handles well at both ends of the speed spectrum. The original Bridgestone tires were serviceable, but will say the Pirelli tires keeps the bike on a solid line of entry to a curve and to me provides a smoother, surer ride.  I have no plans on ever riding the C14 on dirt or gravel roads for believe it is out of it's element with such road surfaces.  I shoot shotguns at our local Trap and Skeet Club and final 1.5miles is rough, rock, mud, gravel surface and friends there always ask me why I don't ride my bike to the Club??  Well, they are not buying the tires nor paying for plastic for the "drops" that are sure to take place. 

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 12:53:11 am »
In his opening comments he said he has a Continental on the front and an Angel GT on the rear, so nope, no crappy BT-021s are at fault here.

:-[

Offline DarenLine

• Tricycle
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 10:44:46 pm »
Thank you all for your help, I am planning to buy angel gts this weekend as My front tire needs to be changed soon, and while I do will change the rear one to 55 (instead of the current 50), this will take care of mismatching and and worn tire issues. I saw some good deals on PR4 but had them in the past on my FZ09 and never liked the way they looked on the bike, it make the bike look like a dirtbike, I appreciate their functionality and stickiness in rainy weather but living in Southern California I don't get to see much rain any ways, meanwhile I'll do some research and study to properly adjust the suspensions to see if the problem can be resolved.
Thanks again for all your help and support, will report back my outcome as soon as I'm done.

Offline DarenLine

• Tricycle
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 12:47:49 am »
Just a little follow up (pls excuse for delay), I replaced the front tire (continental) with brand new Angel GT (now matches the rear tire), took it out for a ride, wow, the proble is gone, can't believe a tire can have such an impact on the ride quality, bike feels much lighter, turns are fun and stable, bike rides like a 600cc bike. Couldn't stop riding :-)

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 09:39:59 am »
Just a little follow up (pls excuse for delay), I replaced the front tire (continental) with brand new Angel GT (now matches the rear tire), took it out for a ride, wow, the proble is gone, can't believe a tire can have such an impact on the ride quality, bike feels much lighter, turns are fun and stable, bike rides like a 600cc bike. Couldn't stop riding :-)

As I was reading this I kept thinking it was mismatched tires and worn tires.

As a general rule, you should never use different brand tires front/rear.   I think it applies to even one generation of the same brand to the next, such as BT020 to the 21 series etc.

Glad your back on the road and lesson learned. Glad you didn't get into a wreck in the process! :beerchug:

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 04:06:43 pm »
Radial in the back and  bias in the front is a strange combination. I have ran mismatched tires - no big deal but normally radial up front and bias on the rear.
The opposite is not a good idea.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!