Author Topic: New bike Suspension questions.  (Read 301 times)

Offline MadHunky

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
New bike Suspension questions.
« on: August 08, 2019, 01:03:35 pm »
I just took posession of a new 2016 concours. It has just over 125 miles on it after a couple days of cummuting to work and joy riding. New to the forum, but not a new rider. Happy to be here, tons of great information.  I'm a larger rider at 6' 1" and 230 pounds. I notice that the bike is a little squirrely in the rear end around higher speed turns, 40-50 mph range. When I commute in it I usually carry a small bag that may weigh 25-30 pounds in one of the side bags. I want to play a little with the suspension and try and dial it in, but not sure which way to start. I have been riding with the KTRC on to get used to the power at first.  I've been watching some videos online, but figure I'd go to the source with some pointers. Everything on the bike is stock. Thanks for any insight.

Offline Staylo

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12548
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: New bike Suspension questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 02:47:38 pm »
Unfortunately, there’s no dialing in that rear suspension. It is hopelessly under-sprung for “average” sized riders, and for a bigger fellow it’s even worse. There’s just not enough spring rate on the shock to stop the wallowing in the corners that you described. At the very least, you’re going to need a properly rated spring for your weight, and even better would be a replacement shock. The Penske 8983 is the most popular upgrade for the c14, But it’s a pretty big pill to swallow at nearly $1000, plus installation if you can’t do the work yourself. It will, however, completely transform the ride and handling of the bike, and in the long run it will save you money in replacement tire costs, as a poorly set up suspension wears  tires unevenly, and more quickly.
Lancaster County, PA
'11 C14

Offline MadHunky

• Big Wheels
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 02:59:20 pm »
Thanks for the information. I figure in the mean time while I'm breaking it in, and getting more comfortable on it I will just keep turning it a couple clicks clockwise and experiment with it. Of course I could just go on a diet.

Offline Staylo

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12548
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 03:20:46 pm »
Of course I could just go on a diet.
Unfortunately, the factories seem to spring these bikes for 12-year-old Japanese girls. No amount of dieting is it going to help.  They design bikes to be ridden with the luggage full and a pillion passenger, and then they put a spring on that isn’t even strong enough to support a single rider with empty bags. *shrug*
Lancaster County, PA
'11 C14

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Scooter
  • COG#: 12840
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 03:38:08 pm »
Is there a properly rated spring that can be used with the stock shock? Not ideal but I can't do the Penske...
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 05:02:12 pm »
I'm in the same boat.
$1000 is just too many $$ and guess I'm not a good e'nuff rider to notice that the rear is that bad.
I adjusted sag, adjusted damping, and it seems to me that handling improved.
Seems I recall that Traxxion offers a stiffer spring?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Scooter
  • COG#: 12840
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 06:13:29 pm »
Well, I went looking. Traxxion doesn't show just a spring. Racetech has one for $135 with an adapter collar needed for $20. https://racetech.com/ProductSearch/12/Kawasaki/Concours%2014%20ZG1400/2008-17
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline antibus

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11339
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 11:03:28 pm »
Many people on this forum like Traxxion for the front and Penske for the rear, and that is likely the best set up. Two years ago I had adventure power sports in Idaho spring and valve my stock front and rear suspension with race tech valves making the rear shock serviceable. This cost around $1000 total. For an aggressive skilled rider this is likely not the best upgrade, however for me it was incredible. I love the feel of the bike touring on winding roads and on interstates as well as riding errands around my town. I don't ride fast or aggressive, however I ride a lot and like the product adventure power sports provided. For my money it is perfect.
CDA #0542

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 12:40:22 am »
I just took posession of a new 2016 concours. It has just over 125 miles on it after a couple days of cummuting to work and joy riding. New to the forum, but not a new rider. Happy to be here, tons of great information.  I'm a larger rider at 6' 1" and 230 pounds. I notice that the bike is a little squirrely in the rear end around higher speed turns, 40-50 mph range. When I commute in it I usually carry a small bag that may weigh 25-30 pounds in one of the side bags. I want to play a little with the suspension and try and dial it in, but not sure which way to start. I have been riding with the KTRC on to get used to the power at first.  I've been watching some videos online, but figure I'd go to the source with some pointers. Everything on the bike is stock. Thanks for any insight.

Are you carrying that weight in the right or left bag?

Offline MadHunky

• Big Wheels
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 12:28:45 pm »
When I noticed the issue I had nothing in my bags, and was out on the back winding roads. But normally I carry in my back left bag. I have since turned my rear suspension 5 clicks, and notice a big difference. Thanks for all the information here.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 12:33:48 pm »
Madhunky, 5 Clicks ain't e'nuff. I suspect you have way to much static sag.

Do a search for "setting spring sag" and follow those instructions.
I would find it, but have to leave for a time. Will trya gain later, or maybe someone else will attach them.

Ride safe, Ted

Update; Here is 1 video. There are many to look at on You Tube..
             https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtzTyCKh5fY

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 11:39:00 am by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Bill

• Moped
  • RUBY 2012
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10540
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 09:33:54 am »
I have to agree with Ted, do the sag adjustment first, then fine tune it and write down the settings so you know where you are at. I finally did the SAG on mine and it made a world of difference in handling and tire longevity.

Bill