Author Topic: Outer Fork Tube Bushings  (Read 196 times)

Offline Davio

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Outer Fork Tube Bushings
« on: July 10, 2018, 01:09:19 pm »
Hi folks, there is already a post on this topic but there's been no activity for a couple of months hence this new post. My 1400 has just over 40k miles on the clock and has developed play in the fork bushes, no doubt a result of riding two up overloaded with camping gear and our awful British roads. I sent for a set of bushes from Pyramid and the parts promptly arrived. I didn't have time to do the work myself so took the fork legs to a local bike garage. The chap has stripped the forks but the seals are the wrong size. I am about to remove the upper bush in the fork tube so that I can measure them and hopefully source the correct bushes. Has anyone removed the upper bush, please? Does the fork tube need heating, and what did you use as a drift? Many thanks in anticipation. John   

Offline okrider

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
Re: Outer Fork Tube Bushings
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 01:26:34 pm »
After separating the inner tube from the outer tube, I put the outer tube on the inner tube upside down and use the inner tube to tap the seals and bushings out.
2011 Black: Russel Day Long, Helibars Horizon, Kawi top case, ECU flash, lowered passenger pegs

Offline Syxxphive

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12672
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 03:33:35 pm »
Let us know how it goes. I haven’t heard of someone replacing the bushes here as they don’t come out with the inner tube like most USD forks do. Kawasaki doesn’t even sell bushes, they have to be sourced elsewhere.

Offline JDSCO

• Scooter
  • 2016 C14
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 04:10:56 pm »
I am about to remove the upper bush in the fork tube so that I can measure them and hopefully source the correct bushes. Has anyone removed the upper bush, please? Does the fork tube need heating, and what did you use as a drift? Many thanks in anticipation. John

I indexed my 2008 outer tubes by 30degs each as that lessened the runout.
I have never attempted removal but my thoughts are to heat the outer tube and use a maple (hardwood) 1x2 to "tap the bushing out.
Maple works great , I use it for wheel bearings and you can customize it by sanding reliefs for shoulder fit.

The outer tube doesn't require much heat as it's relatively thin aluminum and aluminum is a great heat conductor. It expands quite readily without a lot of heat. Be attentive to the applied heat.

I've been doing some research and some have mentioned that the upper bushes are epoxied and others say that it is a "heat shrink fit".

I would really appreciate the dimensions you pull from those bushings! Thanks.

"Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races!"
Jay Leno

Offline Syxxphive

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12672
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 05:41:29 pm »
Someone found them hurried somewhere. It might have been MOB. Least he commented on the thread. I did as well. Pyramid does supply them. I’ll do some digging.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 07:27:52 pm »
Someone found them hurried somewhere. It might have been MOB. Least he commented on the thread. I did as well. Pyramid does supply them. I’ll do some digging.

yep
had to dig for the link, you have to know what size you want tho..
also, I don't recommend any seals for the forks, other than the OEM ones, but bushes should be fine...
https://pyramid-parts.com/collections/fork-bushes

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...