Author Topic: Roadsmart 3 reviews?  (Read 3456 times)

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Roadsmart 3 reviews?
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 05:30:40 am »
I only rode 2200 miles on the RS3's so far. This ride had thousands of corners and very little slab. The front is slightly worn on the sides when you rub your hand over the tread and the back tire looks to have worn well center and side to side. The original profile appears intact.

I found the handling similar to the Angel GT's and slightly less easy to drop into a corner than the last 3 sets of the Avon's which have a very pointy profile, the RS3 has a more rounded profile especially in the back.

A surprise is my headshake I have had with the last 3 sets of Avon's is gone! The headshake was quite severe if you let go of the bars. RS3's worked well in heavy rain and during extreme cornering. I run the 190/55 rear and I have no chix strips so my lean angel was definitely there.

If I keep up this kind of riding I am doubtful I will see 6K like I did with the Avon's, but time will tell as mileage adds up. So to run them till they are truly worn out never really happens with me so ultimate mileage they are capable of I will never see.

Usually if I still have some life in the tire but have a long trip coming I always install a new set because I don't want to have to limp home on a worn out set or be forced to buy a tire on a trip.

I will be buying the RS3's again and no more Avon's or Pirelli's.
Good to hear from fellow PacificNorthWestener prizing RS3. After Shinkos are done, I'll be switching to RS3 for sure. We do need good wet weather tires here is Seattle. RS3 is it.

Online FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12127
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2018, 05:32:24 pm »
Are these Roadsmart III tires being discussed here the same as the Dunlop SportMax Roadsmart III?
Local dealer is advertising $100 off a set with any service!

Offline Rusty

• Street Cruiser
  • Live to Ride, Ride to Live-2008 C14
  • COG#: 9585
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 01:21:24 am »
As far as I know YES!

Online Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2018, 02:30:52 am »
Putting on a set tomorrow.
If I make it to Texas, I'll let you know what I think.  ;)

Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"
Freelance Cartoonist & Illustrator: Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2018, 12:49:36 am »
You are gonna like the RS3 tires.  :beerchug:
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Online Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2018, 01:17:39 am »
Gottem today...like them already. Can't wait to try twisties. >:D
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2018, 02:08:32 pm »
There are a lot of very good tires out there presently multiple brands, for whatever type of riding you do or bike you have.   I must say I have been very happy with the Dunlop tires I have purchased the last 10 years and they presently have rebates when you purchase a set.   The Roadsmart III $75 currently.    I purchased a set of Dunlop Sportmax Q3s for my ZX14r and received a $50 rebate, just purchased a set of Dunlop American Elites for a buddy with a 2013 Harley Street Glide with a $50 rebate.    Made in the USA also I believe.   All have these tire models have very good reviews on the net.   

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2018, 10:59:49 pm »
Gottem today...like them already. Can't wait to try twisties. >:D

Let us know how you like them!!! :beerchug:
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Rusty

• Street Cruiser
  • Live to Ride, Ride to Live-2008 C14
  • COG#: 9585
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2018, 11:22:56 am »
Just replaced my Roadsmart 3's with another set. The $100.00 rebate was still on so I decided on another set. I got about 6700 miles on my first set and I probably could have left my front tire on but was not entirely comfortable about it so I replaced both. Rear tire was toast. I really must say I like these tires! I do a lot of mountain rides here in Southern California and I am hard on tires and they perform very well! I just finished riding 3400 miles on a 7 day trip with the OTP travelers and they performed flawlessly! That trip had a good mix of mountain roads and stretches of highway roads. Overall I would recommend the Roadsmart 3's for your bike! I ran the 190/55 on my rear. Yes I would love to get more miles from this tire but I am aggressive with them. ;)  I will send in another report after this set of tires has reached it's limit!

:motonoises:   :motonoises:   :great:

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2018, 06:25:00 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :great:

Good to hear. I currently have 2200 miles on my first set. Heading to Oregon on the 5th, short 2 day trip maybe another 900 miles. I want to wear this set out and install a new set before my Sept trip. Must have a new set for that long trip.

Personally, I am going to stick with this brand. At 2200 miles if I was running the Angel GT's I would be at the wear bars on the front. Avons 3DXM's got me to 6K miles on the front but the head shake was just horrible on all 3 sets I ran. No head shake with the RS's.

If the RS3's get me somewhere near 5K miles on a set I'll be a happy person.
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Online Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2018, 07:53:42 pm »
All I can say is they was plenty grippy enough for me all the way to Texas and back.
I felt confident leaning as hard as I dared at the Three Sisters. I hit maybe two or three sandy/gravel spots and the bike handled as expected.

I would buy another set when the time comes.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2018, 11:20:51 pm »
All I can say is they was plenty grippy enough for me all the way to Texas and back.
I felt confident leaning as hard as I dared at the Three Sisters. I hit maybe two or three sandy/gravel spots and the bike handled as expected.

I would buy another set when the time comes.

:beerchug:

Thanks, my thoughts exactly.
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Road Bike
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2018, 01:38:58 am »
RS3 are still om my radar as replacement of Shinko tires. But as I approach 5K on 016 with about half thread left, RS3 gets pushed further out to outer rim of the radar. The wear on 016's seemed have paused or at least slowed down as we entered dry-summer-full-lean-attack mode and flat wet-weather-keep-yer-straight-line center wear has disappeared.
I doubt you can get RS3, M+B for two Benjamins.

Offline sininja

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2018, 10:02:24 pm »
how much are shinkos that your getting out the door at $200? wheels on bike? 

Offline copdocpvd

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2018, 12:20:00 am »
I went through three sets of the Michelins, didn't get more than 6000 miles on any of the rears.  RS3s have 7500 miles on them right now, rear looks like I will get another 2,000 before replacing.

Love the tires, I am MUCH more confident with them than the OEMs or the Michelins, for me they turn in much easier, do better in the wet, and have dramatically reduced the stressful moments I had when pushing my envelope in curvy stuff.  I've got two sets in my garage (thank you, Dunlop for your frequent $75-100 rebates), both purchased for about the price of just the rear michelin.  I'll eventually try the Angels, but for now I'm extremely happy with them, and you can't beat the price.
when life throws you a curve, lean into it

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Road Bike
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2018, 04:10:56 am »
how much are shinkos that your getting out the door at $200? wheels on bike?
Wheels off.

Offline Jeremy

• Tricycle
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2018, 06:49:37 pm »
Update from my earlier input. So the rear tire I talked about back in March on the first page of this thread lasted 9,700 miles. It was squared and on the wear bars but still handeled well in a corner and didn't display any bad habits. When I replaced it I went with a full set of the RS III'. This set is now at 9,000 miles and still trucking along. I may be replacing them this weekend as I average 1,000 miles a week of commuting and dont like having tires on or near the wear bars when I am clocking those sorts of miles. They continue to handel great both (inspite of the squaring on the rear) on Californina Freeways and slamming curves on local mountain roads. 1.5 weeks ago I went on a ride that included 100 miles of twisty mountain roads and the tires still stuck like glue having 7000 miles on them at the time. Considering the price V/S the level of performance I don't see myself going to a different tire anytime soon these are just too good of a value. Plus right now there is a $75 rebate when you buy a pair which makes it even more of a deal not to walk away from.  Now if Michiline will come out with a GT version of the PR5 I will give them a try but till then I am sticking with these.
Jeremy
2016 C14

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2018, 12:24:53 am »
Thanks for the review. I have 3K on my set currently. No  isues what so ever. Just as you said, great handling tire with good wear rates.

But, I am doing another 3K trip and with 3K already on the mounted set I am not going to take the chance for this set to make it on my next trip. I don't want to be in tire preservation mode, I want to be able to rip it up as needed. So I will be installing a new set of the RS3's.
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2018, 06:18:47 pm »
New set of RS3's mounted now, I took a good look at the front/rear with 3200 miles on the old set. The rear was just about at the wear bars on the sides, the front was worn more on the sides than the center. Not sure they would have made it to 6K like the Avons? Highly doubt it. Unless I stayed completely upright on a slab which I never do.

I think my next set after this is going to be a Avon 3DXM rear and a Dunlop RS3 front.

Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 & counting!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2018, 09:57:42 pm »
I think my next set after this is going to be a Avon 3DXM rear and a Dunlop RS3 front.

Interesting combo. Let us know how it works out.

Cliff   :beerchug: