Author Topic: Shinko 016 Verge 2x impressions.  (Read 1966 times)

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Shinko 016 Verge 2x impressions.
« on: April 01, 2018, 02:10:42 am »
 I am not trying to be cheap. I am simply experementing with what Conni likes to have as footwear. OE tires lasted nearly 8K miles, front developed rather conical wear which has contributed to very nervous front end in the bends. Rear, on the orher hand, had 1-2k to go with modest center flat spot wear.
 Since 021 front tire had produced packer moments every time I've ridden my C14 exuberantly - I've said enough of this footle- time to find new shoes. I've wanted to try RoadSmart3, but I've found Shinkos at silly enough price to refuse to pass up.
 Install at Andrew's garage was a breeze. Tires exhibited no vibrations, no weird noise. After 1k miles, tires show very little wear, more so on the sides than in the middle.
 Comparing handling between OE tires and these cheep-o rubber made by subsidiery of Yokohama, I venture to say Bridgestone could use some cues from other manufactures how to make proper tire.
 016 exhibits more or less neutral handling at partial lean. Although I haven't found max lean I can take Conni to, I can attest 016s are easier to hold @ lean angles than BT021 where latter tire had rather tippy behavior, eager to fall in and lose its poise midcorner.
I haven't noticed such behaviour from 016.
 I live in rainy Seattle, so riding in cold and rainy conditions are norm during winter months. 016 performed admirably. I haven't had scarry moments in the rain. Thanks to heavy front end, and rock-steady poise of C14 , corners I had aprehention taking while riding Vee, were a non-issues this past winter.
 At nearly 2k miles, I've noticed slight flat forming @ rear tire. I don't remember when 021 had developed flat spot, however.

For half the price of RS3, mounted, I should not complain, even if 016 last less than OE 021s.

Cheers...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 09:02:26 am by RoadKillHeaven »

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • AREA: South Central Area
Re: Shinko 016 Verge 2x impressions.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 05:05:21 am »
I think Bridgestone knows how to make a proper tire.  What most people don't understand is that an OEM tire is not the best tire made...it is a tire that had to come in at a price point...so as to keep the price of the bike, as a whole, in line.  That is why many aftermarket tires offer an improvement to the OEM tire...they are not restricted to be made for the manufacturer's (of the motorcycle) price point.  Manufacturers are beginning to see the value in this...note the HDs...or, the Yamaha FZs...these bikes (and, probably more) come with premium tires as OEM...it might cost the bike manufacturers $40 more per bike to do that...but, there are no comments made about "crappy OEM tires"...and, most Concours riders are familiar with that statement, if they bought their bikes new...

Most tire manufacturers make a variety of tires...and, there is a variety of quality and performance...both motorcycle and automobile...I have yet to hear anybody lump Bridgestone's T30 or T31 tires into the "crappy OEM tires" group...

Most all of the OEM tires are simply a tire that was made to hit a price point...

I'm also thinking about the 016s for my next tire...am really interested in hearing more about your tires "squaring off" after a couple of thousand miles.

Safe riding.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 05:13:53 am by CRocker »

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Road Bike
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 08:57:34 am »
I beg to differ. Stock tires on Vee were Bringestone TrailWing (so-called DeathWings).  TrialWing tires almost cost me my life. Low-siding a bike on a highway at >60Mph was not what you'd call exciting. Luckily for me motorists behind maintained safe distance and were able to stop. Low-side spill was attributed to previous accident which resulted in spilled antifreeze and oil which I didn't see mixed with rain water. I replaced them with BattleWing tires which was an improvement. I had them for 4-5K miles when I start noticing similar to Trail Wing behavior. So I ditched BT tires all together. After switching to PR4 Trail, I've never had an issue with slip-sliding even in a wettest of conditions. PR4 Trail on my Vee lasted 22K miles front, 12-13K miles rear. There is no way to get mileage like that on C14. 
If I get 8K miles out of 016, I'd be happy.
P.S What I meant to convey regarding cues for making a better tire was to make a better economy tire. A better tire that has uniform wear and doesn't exhibit weird behavior after miles have been accumulated. 

« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 09:03:37 am by RoadKillHeaven »

Offline Turtle

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 12:51:37 pm »
My Connie had T30's on it when purchased, I hated them and they never felt secure when leaned over. Put on Pilot Roads and currently at 9200 miles with maybe 2k more in the rear.

I would be surprised if you get more than 5k out of the 016's.

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Road Bike
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 06:11:06 am »
Update:
3K miles on Verge.
Rear tire flat spot has disappeared due to improving weather and riding less in a straight line!  :great:
Tires are a bit nervous on the edge. I felt rear slip at almost full lean (toe slider scraping pavement) moment. But Connie corpulence saves most pucker moments as its stability is remarkable.

Cheers...

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 11:27:26 am »
How is it faring regarding to your 8k miles projection?  I am going to put a new Angel ST on my front wheel today...

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Road Bike
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 02:09:19 am »
If I can attain 8K miles out of Verge set, I'd be content
Most touring tires wear well under 3-4K miles. After that wear could go either way!

Cheers...

Offline GIant81

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12285
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 04:27:52 pm »
I got 6k out of my rear 016 and 7500 out of the front and all of that was mostly straight/flat commuting. 

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 08:37:45 pm »
If I can attain 8K miles out of Verge set, I'd be content
Most touring tires wear well under 3-4K miles. After that wear could go either way!

Cheers...

I have over 6300 miles on my PR4 front so far, and around 5400 on the rear and they both look very good. I changed the rear after only around 1,000 miles since I had a good nail in it. I plugged it and rode it a while locally, but changed it before a 2700 mile trip to Yellowstone and around.

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Road Bike
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 04:02:44 am »
Update:
I do not think front tire will last more than 5K. It is down to half the depth. Wow. C14 is a nose heavy beast!

Offline ANTHONY

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 05:29:16 pm »
I just changed my 016 after 9500 miles so I can tell you that they will last as long as you keep proper pressure in them. I'll post a PIC as I recently changed them, still have some wear left. I am also 230lb guy so it wasn't like I was light on the tires. I can tell you that I had zero problem in any condition with these tires as well, they worked well in rain and in the cold and of course just fine in the heat. I road it through end of November in MI loading it up with my bow and hunting apparel Putting 150 miles a day 3 times a week for 2 months and in many cases I would strap a 50lb bag of corn on back seat and tires worked great with the extra weight.  For the price of these tires and way I drove the bike they were phenomenal overall. Are they a Michelin? NO, but I think they proved to be a good tire.
Tony Johnston(TJRIPPER)

Offline Vic

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 06:05:38 pm »
Update:
I do not think front tire will last more than 5K. It is down to half the depth. Wow. C14 is a nose heavy beast!

Are you keeping PSI at 42 on the front, or lower?

Offline ANTHONY

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 04:32:18 pm »
No I run 38-40 Max
Tony Johnston(TJRIPPER)

Offline Vic

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 09:45:15 pm »
While 38-40 might seem ideal, with the C14's weight, those lower pressures will accelerate wear by excessive flex and therefore generating heat; especially with your bodyweight. You might benefit from lighter handling and slightly longer front tire life with PSI closer to recommended. Your bodyweight will help insure good front end grip, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Road Bike
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 06:12:34 am »
Thanks for reassuring review. I keep Connie's shoes at 40psi cold. 
it is nearly 4K on the set, the wear seems to have paused.

Cheers...

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 02:30:55 pm »
Like roadkillheaven ,  I hoped the Shinko's would be good e'nuff to use them.
Have to admit, they felt/handled pretty good.

But; I have about 2000 on mine and on the rear tire looks BAD.
  The small rain groove near the center is "gone" and the bigger/deeper one (sets slightly off side) is considerably shallower.
   Front tire looks ok.

At the National, I had a flat on the rear and will be replacing it.
    Will see at that time if the tire is as thin as I suspect or just the small grooves are gone. {Poor rain groove design?}

NOTE: I ride in the hot south on our rough roads and get a max of about 5000 miles on the rear / mebbe 6000 on the front.
            We've noticed that the riders up North get a lot better mileage out of their tires, and suspect the difference is the road construction?
          I also trailer to the events/enjoy the event/then trailer home, so I do not accumulate many highway miles on my tires. {ie; No flat bottom}
               {and Yes, I know I'm a sinner}  :-[
          Bottom line: I seriously doubt I would have gotten 2500 miles out of the rear.
                              Before the flat I planned to remove them because of the looks at about 2000.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 03:54:26 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 12:10:01 am »
Ted I have about 4k on a verge 011 rear and it still looks like there's rubber left. It is a bit flat spotted. I should probably look at it closely.  Still handles pretty well also. The front has about 2k on it since I procrastinated installing it after the rear.

Offline ANTHONY

• Tricycle
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2018, 07:37:45 pm »
Roads in Michigan are complete garbage because of the big weather swings we have here so I certainly don't think roads are better here. We do have a little bit milder weather versus the deep south but we still get 90's through the summer. I am blown away that people only get 2500 miles on these tires. If you keep your tires clean, at the correct pressure and get on the sides a little every 25-50 miles or so they should last well over 5k easy. I always roll my tires over edge to edge every so often even if I'm on strait road for hundreds of miles to keep them wearing evenly. I am a big buy and I ride my bike pretty hard and I have road so many different brands of tires and cant come up with one unless it was a pure sport bike tire that didn't last 5k. Guess you guys need to stop doing burnouts!!!  ;D ;D
Tony Johnston(TJRIPPER)

Offline Matthew

• Tricycle
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 01:16:29 am »
Could someone take a picture of this tire installed? I specifically told the tire shop to notice the direction of the tire and install it, but they did exactly opposite of how it's supposed to go but wouldn't believe me, no matter how I argued. I would have done it myself, but I broke my mojo lever dismounting the old, stiff, crusty tire.  :-[

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Road Bike
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 10:43:00 pm »
shot of front and rear tires, respectively.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 10:53:23 pm by RoadKillHeaven »

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2018, 05:50:47 pm »
All, (after looking at RoadKillHeaven's photo's), I looked at my rear Shinko again and the wear was not as bad as I thought.
  ie; It has a bit of a flat center, and my rear tire looks worse at 2000 miles than RoadKillHeaven's look at 4000 miles.
            But the deeper/larger grooves appear ok.

Unfortunately,,, it has a flat from a puncture.   :-[
{Plugged twice at the National due to a flat; with poor result}

I will admit I was pretty impressed by the way the bike handled with the Shinko's.
  So, I just ordered another rear Shinko to use as I finish the front Shinko.

Will see what mileage it gives me this time...

Ride safe, Ted

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 03:25:57 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Road Bike
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2018, 01:53:05 am »
I've crossed 6K miles. I reckon front tire will reach 0/32 before the rear tire. I reckon it has another 1K miles before deemed worn out. I shall see.
I've already ordered another set of 016s.

Offline Douglas

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8649
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 02:56:35 am »
A dips*** once told me how he put a set of shinkos on and they weren't round so had to take them off. Guess he had no idea how to seat a bead. But he was bashing shinkos w all his might. Arguing w him made me feel like meathead arguing w Archie.

I agree that Shinkos give the most bang for the buck. I just stopped trying to explain it to every numskull that comes along. Now I let people buy their brand loyal favorite junk w a banner and inflatable marshmallow. I gave up. The old man quietly smiling makes sense to me...
"Whatever you do in life surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you" John Wooden

Don't be a spectator in life. Be a participant...

Offline Matthew

• Tricycle
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2018, 02:50:30 pm »
I put my first 30 miles on these tires last night to start the break-in. They feel good and much more confidence inspiring than the last tires were on (old, crusty OEM tires)!

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Road Bike
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 11:15:50 am »
At about 7K miles on the tires.  They seem to have a few more.
Front tire is becoming a bit tipsy at ambitious lean angles. Otherwise no weird handling or noises or cupping.  Tire pressure between 38-40 psi.
I'd be a monkey's uncle if 016's last more that 8k.
We shall see.