Author Topic: Shinko Tire Test - Part 1 and miscellaneous ramblings  (Read 10462 times)

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Shinko Tire Test - Part 1 and miscellaneous ramblings
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2017, 11:03:48 pm »
Thanks Ted. I would like to do the COG National or any rally meet. But it's just not likely to happen. My time for riding is so limited and I'm so SELFISH... actually I'm henpecked and I have a beautiful wife and 8 children, (now grown) and 12 grandchildren and counting. The wife loves to go on long trips with me two up but these are for getting away since we spend so much time with family. So I have to get my kicks on the COG writing about things like Shinko Tire Tests, learning, reading and RIDING when I can.

There is however, one possibility of us heading up through Lake Ozark, MO during the Nationals since that is our general direction and date for our Circle the Great Lakes Tour we have devised for June this year. But if I pre-register it will jinx the whole thing. I have to ease up there and pretend like it's a total unexpected COINCIDENCE...

"What a nice RESORT AREA. Wow, Lots of MOTORCYCLES... they must have had the same idea we did honey!"

One can only HOPE...

Did you make it to the Rally?
If no, next year it will be in Kerrville Texas..   hint hint

Diver ray, I also have a Shinko {Verge II} on the bike. So far, so good...

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 03:28:06 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline dlama

• Denny
  • Mini Bike
  • "The path of the righteous"
    • Company Website under construction
  • COG#: 12260
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2017, 03:38:23 am »
No Ted, sorry to say I did not make it anywhere near the Nationional Rally. We decided to change our travel plans and we went west from Longview, TX to Cimmaron, NM and took Hwy 64 west and enjoyed a scenic trip to HWY 550 (the million dollar highway) in CO all the way past Grand Junction, CO Then took 139 (the lost Hwy) North up over Douglas Mountain Pass into Vernal, Utah on our way to Jackson, WY. 
The Shinko Ravens are doing better than expected on wear, but worse than I expected on handling. A little skiddish and less confidence inspiring than Michelins PR4GT or the Shinko Verge 2X. But no real issues for two up, high speed loaded touring during the 3500 miles of mountains and canyons along with some slab burning home.
Denny LaMaster

2005 Concours 1000 in Pearl Lustre Beige. On/Off petcock, Madstad 18" bronze screen, Throttle Meister, Murph's tip over bars w Hiway Pegs, Avons Storm 3D 110/80/18 -Cobra 160/80/16 SWEET... 2012 C14 Arabian Red, K&N  Russell Day Long dual heat, Phils Rack, ST Horizon Bars, Bestem 929 w top rack / LEDs, Buck's Hwy Pegs, MadStad Bracket on CalSci XL tall/wide. Time to Ride...

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2017, 03:28:42 pm »
See you in Kerrville next year??

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2017, 03:42:53 pm »
I'm running the Verge 011's although the new front is still lying on the floor. Got about 1500mi on the rear, 180-55 (no two up riding so 180 is probably fine) with just a hint of starting to square off. I haven't pushed it hard but in brisk twisties it does well. Feel of the bike hasn't changed since the worn Angel GT front is still on. I'm gonna stay away from dual compound fronts which is why I tried the 011's. The dual compound produces that weird crown wear pattern once worn some. The Angels were like magic new but at 2000 miles the front started hurting that wonderful turn-in the new ones produce. Squaring off a front  (or whatever the dual compound does) does not seem like the hot ticket. I'm not riding a lot due to family/work obligations but will probably put on another 2500 miles before it gets cold. We'll see how the Verges do. Got to get the front installed!

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2017, 04:43:26 pm »
You gave me the perfect opportunity to say something that's a bit controversial...
Ya'll know how much I hate saying controversial things.   ;)
Nay-sayers, {brace yourselves} "here it comes"...

If the tire is not handling right, and has a flat spot with crowns on both sides, or it is cupping,,,
    Raise the front of the bike and reshape the profile of the tire with a body grinder...
       ie; Grind the crown points, smooth the cups, and make the profile round again.

Let the flames begin..

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2017, 06:14:38 pm »
Being cheap that idea has occurred to me. But I'm already doing too many things and not riding enough!

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2017, 09:04:53 pm »
It will improve the ride during the last miles you travel on the tire.

Try it.
      If I'm wrong, it's Harry Martin's fault!

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

Offline DiverRay

• Tricycle
  • Ride Safe, Ride Fast
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12498
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2017, 03:49:29 am »
Well, I've put about 4.5K on the Shinko's, and so far so good. I DID have a problem with the front feeling "loose" part of the time, but after I pulled the front tire and replaced rotors/pads, it's better. The reason was NOT the rotors, though. I think the shop made a mistake when putting the front wheel back on. I noticed the axle flange was against the outside stops on both sides of the forks. When I installed the tires, I tightened the axle and THEN tightened the clamps, and I have about 2-3mm on each side. The bike is MUCH better in the sweeping corners now, and no loose feeling in the front end. Tires look about 1/3 worn, and as part of the trip was close to triple digits on both air and speed, that's not bad!
Ray Matteis
KE6NHG
2011 Concours
1978 XS1100 Yamaha (winter project)

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2017, 12:53:57 pm »
You gave me the perfect opportunity to say something that's a bit controversial...
Ya'll know how much I hate saying controversial things.   ;)
Nay-sayers, {brace yourselves} "here it comes"...

If the tire is not handling right, and has a flat spot with crowns on both sides, or if it's cupping,,,
    Raise the front of the bike and reshape the profile of the tire with a body grinder...
       ie; Grind the crown points, smooth the cups, and make the profile round again.

Let the flames begin..

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

Offline DiverRay

• Tricycle
  • Ride Safe, Ride Fast
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12498
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2017, 03:26:54 am »
Well, the Shinko tires are gone! about 7,500 miles on the set. Replaced with Angel GT "A" spec, and boy, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! :great: My commute has one corner that the State has tried to fix, and this bike has never liked that corner. It does a shimmy all the time, until now! My last two sets of tires BOTH caused a shimmy, and the Angels DO NOT. So no matter how often I need to change them, it's Angels for the Connie!
Ray Matteis
KE6NHG
2011 Concours
1978 XS1100 Yamaha (winter project)

Offline GIant81

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12285
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2017, 01:26:23 pm »
After about 6k my shinko rear had to go, so on went the roadtec 01 HWM, then about another 1600m later, I have my new roadtec 01 front HWM version ready to go on with a set of pads.

I have to admit I liked the shinko, price/mi is not bad, but I have nothing to compare it to.  I'll see how the Metzlers go, then a set of PRT4's, then maybe a set of angels, then a set of Dunlops, and finally just settle on which I like the best and go with them.

This test may not entirely be apples to apples since I'm running an HWM Metzler and the shinko doesn't have a heavier version, but then maybe it is since I bought the heaviest weight version in both I could. 

Being a 300lb rider with a straight commute, I burn out the center pretty fast. 

Offline dlama

• Denny
  • Mini Bike
  • "The path of the righteous"
    • Company Website under construction
  • COG#: 12260
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2017, 05:08:03 pm »
After about 6k my shinko rear had to go, so on went the roadtec 01 HWM, then about another 1600m later, I have my new roadtec 01 front HWM version ready to go on with a set of pads.

I have to admit I liked the shinko, price/mi is not bad, but I have nothing to compare it to.  I'll see how the Metzlers go, then a set of PRT4's, then maybe a set of angels, then a set of Dunlops, and finally just settle on which I like the best and go with them.

This test may not entirely be apples to apples since I'm running an HWM Metzler and the shinko doesn't have a heavier version, but then maybe it is since I bought the heaviest weight version in both I could. 

Being a 300lb rider with a straight commute, I burn out the center pretty fast.

I have enjoyed commuting on rural roads since 2012. The benefits of 30 miles each way cannot be underestimated in reduction of medications that would otherwise be required. The other benefit is in the short term testing of FARKLES. If it's no good at least you are not committed for days on end of a long distance trip!

But motorcycle commuting and tire/suspension testing is probably the ultimate "feel" test. You know where each bump and turn is after so many repeats. It's almost like your personal / public track. (All perfectly legal of course).  :motonoises:
Denny LaMaster

2005 Concours 1000 in Pearl Lustre Beige. On/Off petcock, Madstad 18" bronze screen, Throttle Meister, Murph's tip over bars w Hiway Pegs, Avons Storm 3D 110/80/18 -Cobra 160/80/16 SWEET... 2012 C14 Arabian Red, K&N  Russell Day Long dual heat, Phils Rack, ST Horizon Bars, Bestem 929 w top rack / LEDs, Buck's Hwy Pegs, MadStad Bracket on CalSci XL tall/wide. Time to Ride...