Author Topic: Tires  (Read 1518 times)

Offline TimB_PA

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Tires
« on: March 12, 2017, 03:08:48 pm »
Has anyone replaced the rear tire with a commander II, sized 200/55-17 or similar sized tire?
I am not new to sports tour bike's having put 103k on my last bike a 2011 BMW RT. Obviously I rack up a lot of miles for a northern guy which means I go through lots of tire's. I have not found a designated ST tire that will last beyond 10k and I have tried them all. So doing some research I found the commander II is silicate infused which gives it stick, but utilizing a stiffer compound which adds to longevity.
With this said, if I can safely fit the 200/55 on without rubbing it might allow for longer change intervals without compromising traction too much. My only question is whether it will fit, the rest I can test in the twisties myself.
Any help is appreciated...

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Tires
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 04:17:25 pm »
Tim,
A couple of people have run a 200/50 on the rear. there is a thread or two on here about it. I think you would be the first with a 55 series though.
Let us know how it works out!
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 04:23:05 pm »
The 200/55-17 is going to be slightly narrower than the 200/50-17 which is known to fit.  I too have not heard of anyone actually fitting one of these but there is no reason to think it won't fit.

Going from 190 to 200 width add less than 1/2" to the total width so that's about 1/4" on each side.  There is plenty of room if you look at your current tire which I assume is a 190.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline TimB_PA

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 07:23:55 pm »
I finally burned up the BT016's and decided to go ahead with the Michelin tires. I have a PR4gt front matched up with a Commander II in 200/55-17. I have to go get in some ride miles before commenting on my choice. Plenty of room so I don't anticipate any surprise.

Offline TimB_PA

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 06:43:26 pm »
I have gotten out for an initial ride with the tire and wanted to get down my initial thoughts.
First thing is the rear end sits higher and it is noticed initially. Not bad or good but if you struggle with footing this could be a bad thing.
The ride is noticably softer, and the bike steers and drops in much smoother and easier.
I was a little tentative in curves to start basically a new zero mile tire and it was raining. I decided to gradually push it over more and it held the roads just fine all the way to the tire edge at moderate speeds. No slip or slide.
Take off is less effort and you can review each gear a little longer between upshifts. I noticed with routine starts that I could review each gear out a little longer between upshifts and my eco display didn't kick out before I shifted or after. Maybe because the bike rolls easier.
Ok so that's about it and I didn't have my GPS to see how the taller tire displayed speed, but I will do that.

Offline TimB_PA

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 01:42:00 am »
Ok so here are my observation's after 1k miles.
The tire is rounder because of the sizing. So when you lean it over it really leans over.  If you like turning in steeply you'd love this tire.
The tire makes the rear higher and as a result your saddlebags are visible in the mirrors. I can still see behind me fine but you have to adjust the mirror some.
The speedo is spot on with this tire. If the speedo says 60 you are doing 60 and not 57.
After 200 or so miles the tire softens some which might require a 2 click adjustment to the rear shock. If you don't it can get a little bouncy.

Offline OKC14

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 02:31:23 pm »
I'm running a Metzler Sportec M7 RR 200/55, I'd have to say your assessment is spot on. Rolls in easier, stays planted in the corners, and the speedo is dead on.

Offline TimB_PA

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 11:45:46 pm »
Ok I'm going over 3k miles now. Observation are the same, and you have to look very closely to see any indication of tire wear.
Because the tire rotates less there is a discrepancy on the onboard computer that needs to be calculated. The difference is 4.8 for miles travelled. Basically the odo reads low by about 5 miles for every 120 displayed. This of course throws off the mpg reading as well.
So far I am pleased with wet and dry traction, wear, and overall result.

Offline NorthFlat2008

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12670
Re: Tires - 2008 C 14 — Tire Pressure Sensor
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 07:27:20 pm »
2008 Concours 14 - Love the bike!, but front tire pressure sensor battery went out, as it did once or twice before.  Dealership now tells me I have to buy a whole new sensor unit for $460.  I could swear I only had to buy batteries before.  In general, I've had very good luck with this dealer, but I think the service guy I spoke to is new.  Is this a ripoff?

PS - To add to the irritation, the shop is 75 miles away—

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 12:33:28 am »
Hi,
      Thanks for the info! :great:

I've never "mixed" tire brands! (front and rear!)

Not sayin it's bad (probably not) but...

It seems to bother my, Teutonic Blood, I guess!!! ;D ;D ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 04:08:07 pm »
It ain't the tires in that last posts picture that's "Boiling my blood" :great: :great:
Thanks SG1 :beerchug:
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 08:03:30 am »
This 200/55 rear tire idea is intriguing. For all those who have tried it please keep us informed. I just might have give it a go.

Has anyone tried an upsized front tire?
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14

Offline SW ROADRUNNER

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 07:34:52 pm »
Careful Deepsea you will super saturate and get the bends.

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 10:14:28 pm »
Been there done that x7. Trust me, it ain't no fun. :'( :'(  Laying in a recompression chamber for hours and hours sux. The only thing worse in diving is decompression from a deep dive. Coming up from an 850FSW dive requires 14 days of decompression.

Offline OKC14

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 07:35:45 pm »
I have about 7k on my Sportec M7s, 200/55 rear.  Wear is really even and I've had zero issues with grip, even when pushing the bike to the limit. My next set will be a 200/55 rear again.  Front tire is stock sizing.

Offline Skiee

• Norm
  • Road Bike
  • COG#: 11459
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 11:12:42 pm »
I have about 7k on my Sportec M7s, 200/55 rear.  Wear is really even and I've had zero issues with grip, even when pushing the bike to the limit. My next set will be a 200/55 rear again.  Front tire is stock sizing.
Jason,
Sounds like the 200's performance is on par with what I want. Are you running a M7 up front, also? Have you done any 2up with this tire?  Might have my shop look into these for me...

Norm
2009 Concours 14 (Francis)
AMA# 3044870
CDA# 510

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 04:52:59 pm »
I had a commander II on rear of my C10. Loved it in every way except one... slipped when it got within sight of moisture, especially painted lines.
I had several instances where the rear got a little loose on me if the road was wet. Go to where I would not use the rear brake at all, except at very low speeds when it was wet - no confidence.
I ended up taking it off early, and replaced it with a Avon 3D X-M. After 5,000 miles on it, tread on the Avon still looked really good, I'd say less than 1/2 worn, and still stuck well in all conditions.