Author Topic: Traxxion Front Springs  (Read 759 times)

Offline Doc

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12697
  • Membership Level: Active
Traxxion Front Springs
« on: September 02, 2018, 02:32:35 pm »
For those of you running traxxion springs upfront what spring rate do you use? I had mine rebuilt by Traxxion and they used 1.2 kg springs - when I sent the forks to them last year I weighed 265 but since then I’ve lost 45 pounds and I’m at 220.  The ride is a bit harsh up front and I’m wondering if 45 lbs could make a difference?  Should I go with a lighter spring?  I am a street/commuter rider and one-up only.

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
Re: Traxxion Front Springs
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 04:08:32 pm »
My paper work shows a spring rate of 1.15. I'm 175 lbs fully dressed with a pocket full of change! I mostly ride loaded, 2 up or both. I assume you've made adjustments & softened things up a bit?

Cliff   :beerchug:
Cliff
2008 Concours, 200,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline Staylo

• Moped
  • COG#: 12548
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 04:27:03 pm »
If you’ve lost weight  you would need less preload to get the proper sag numbers. Here’s some basic info on spring rates:

When selecting a spring rate remember that a firm spring rate will not make a bike ride “Stiff”. In fact a firmer rate with less pre load gives a plusher ride than a softer rate with more preload. Spring rates and preload will determine the range of stroke that the bike uses. Soft rates allow the chassis to ride deeper into the suspension travel and therefore into the stiffer part of the stroke. (Leverage ratio curve for the geeks). If you are on the fringe of the spring rate range, don’t be afraid to select the firmer rate.

Having said that, you may have moved two spring rates and may actually be in need of a respring. Call and talk to Traxxion, they’ll help you determine where you’re at.
Lancaster County, PA
'11 C14

Offline Doc

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 03:12:27 pm »
My paper work shows a spring rate of 1.15. I'm 175 lbs fully dressed with a pocket full of change! I mostly ride loaded, 2 up or both. I assume you've made adjustments & softened things up a bit?

Cliff   :beerchug:

Thanks Cliff.  I will experiment a bit but had things softened up to begin with.

Offline Doc

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 03:14:04 pm »
If you’ve lost weight  you would need less preload to get the proper sag numbers. Here’s some basic info on spring rates:

When selecting a spring rate remember that a firm spring rate will not make a bike ride “Stiff”. In fact a firmer rate with less pre load gives a plusher ride than a softer rate with more preload. Spring rates and preload will determine the range of stroke that the bike uses. Soft rates allow the chassis to ride deeper into the suspension travel and therefore into the stiffer part of the stroke. (Leverage ratio curve for the geeks). If you are on the fringe of the spring rate range, don’t be afraid to select the firmer rate.

Having said that, you may have moved two spring rates and may actually be in need of a respring. Call and talk to Traxxion, they’ll help you determine where you’re at.

Thanks Staylo - good advice

Offline Douglas

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8649
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 02:39:16 am »
For those of you running traxxion springs upfront what spring rate do you use? I had mine rebuilt by Traxxion and they used 1.2 kg springs - when I sent the forks to them last year I weighed 265 but since then I’ve lost 45 pounds and I’m at 220.  The ride is a bit harsh up front and I’m wondering if 45 lbs could make a difference?  Should I go with a lighter spring?  I am a street/commuter rider and one-up only.

No. Ease off the compression damping.. better yet, do nothing til you learn what to do. Watch Dave moss videos on YouTube til you sound like him. Then try n do it.
ASE Certified mechanic.
Former CCS/WERA licensed racer #51.
"Whatever you do in life surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you" John Wooden
"Political correctness dumbs down our society because idiots come away propagating their beliefs as though they are correct" Douglas Re

Offline Douglas

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8649
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 02:49:11 am »
ASE Certified mechanic.
Former CCS/WERA licensed racer #51.
"Whatever you do in life surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you" John Wooden
"Political correctness dumbs down our society because idiots come away propagating their beliefs as though they are correct" Douglas Re

Offline Gixerhp

• Industry Member
  • Street Cruiser
  • The Lighting Guy!
  • COG#: 12189
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 12:08:48 am »
Call and Speak to Dan in Service, you might be able to just change the oil and the level of the oil!
No Replacement for Displacement
Bikes are my passion and my hobbie,,
If you need help, and are close,, PM me

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 02:22:23 am »
Agree. Springs hold the bike up and set sag. Oil and valving control damping and rebound. Traxxion has the answer.
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby.

Offline Gixerhp

• Industry Member
  • Street Cruiser
  • The Lighting Guy!
  • COG#: 12189
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 04:08:49 am »
Well this post has come up before my posting!

I have to sell a set of Traxxion Dynamics AK20 kit, and a Penske rear shock.

I would need your forks in trade, and the shock would be a Purchase,
 $1500 TYD
I paid almost $2200 and they only have 3000 miles on them.
I will also pay for a re-spring set up for your weight!
No Replacement for Displacement
Bikes are my passion and my hobbie,,
If you need help, and are close,, PM me