Author Topic: $500 for a set of C-10 tires installed?  (Read 7025 times)

Offline RJSutherland

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
$500 for a set of C-10 tires installed?
« on: January 30, 2015, 09:22:50 pm »
Hi.

I need tires for my 2005 C-10.

Called two local places north of Gainesville, GA.  No Michelins in matched sets.  No Dunlops in matched sets.  Metzler 880s are available, but my saddle is still stained from the time I slipped on the center stripe in a curve while riding 880s.

Where do y'all get the 110/80 tire that "we" prefer?

Do "we" care if the tires aren't a matched set?

What happened to buying a set for $350 or less?

Thank you, Collective Concours Mind.

RJSutherland
Do no evil.
Return no evil.
Fear no evil.

Kawasaki 440 LTD
Honda 750 Custom
Kawasaki 750 LTD
2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800-A
2005 Kawasaki Concours C-10

Offline delling3

• Road Bike
  • 2nd Time Around
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11850
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: $500 for a set of C-10 tires installed?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 09:40:50 pm »
I just got my C-10, so I haven't bought tires yet.  Is that $500 with you dropping off the bike, them mounting and balancing, and returning the bike to you?  If so, I would think that's a bit high, but not unheard of.  I just priced a set of the new Avon Storm 3D tires from the Motorcycle Superstore.  110-80-18VR front and 150-80-16VR rear.  Price was about $325 with free shipping.  When I buy tires, I pull the wheel(s) and take them to the dealer for mount and balance.  I would guess that the mounting and balancing of two tires would be around $50 or $60, bringing my total to almost $400.  The dealer isn't going to discount a tire like mail-order (unless it's something he has had in stock for a long time), and the with the added cost of removing/installing the wheels . . .

There are less expensive tire options.  Battlax BT-45's are a very popular tires, and made is sizes that fit our bikes.  They are bias-ply tires, and some feel that this is a inferior choice.  Should be able to get a set via mail order for around $250. 
Chris Delling
2006 Concours, risers, knee savers, throttlemeister, Murph's grips,  23" Clearview, KB fork brace, SISF's carbs, 2MM, and advanced exhaust cam gear, 7th gear, Spoofak.  Waiting in the wings:   McCruise Cruise Control.

Only dead fish go with the flow . . .

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 09:59:04 pm »
delling3,
I used to pay 80$ for mount and balance of my tires at a local dealer. Now I have a balancer and a mounting machine as well. The 80$ was me bringing them the rims. I would imagine with the amount of work required to remove and then reinstall the wheels on a C10 that the 500.00 is not really on the high side, the shop needs to be able to stay open as well.
Matt
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 10:41:21 pm by mattchewn »
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline Edward

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10829
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 10:42:55 pm »
Michelin PR3 110/80 18 up front ~$140 shipped
Shinko 777 150/80 16 out back ~$90 shipped

Mount and balance @ local shop ~$60 total

Grand Total: ~$290

This is me removing and replacing the wheels myself. Been a great combination that I am on my second set of. I figure average about 10 - 12K miles out of this. Not a bad price. The additional $210 would almost buy me another set of tires.

Offline AirMonger

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10838
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 11:05:54 pm »
Do you have a Cycle Gear outlet close to you. Free mount and balance when you bring in your wheels and you purchase the tires from them. They have competitive pricing on tires most of the time. HTH.
"It usually takes 20 years before people begin to appreciate a good design." Kevin Cameron

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 11:35:58 pm »
Just bought a BT-45 110-80/18 on Amazon for $104 delivered to my house this week. I'll get it changed at the dealer in Braselton or Dahlonega for $40 ride in or $20 carry in (wheel + tire) in a month or so. The 150-80/16 matching rear is usually about $150 delivered. Same cost to mount. Total about $345 or so. Ask the guys at Rider's Hill if they'll match the online price. They once told me they would.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline FreshAir

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 9097
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 11:53:51 pm »
I just received my Avon Storm 2 Ultra Radial Front Tire 110/80R-18 for 104.99 including shipping from Motorcycle-Superstore.com.  The rear tire still has good tread, so I did not order a new one.  However, I currently run the Avon Azaro 150/80ZR/16.  Although I have a local mechanic install my cycle tires for me, his prices reflect labor required.  He has one price if he removes tire/rim from bike and then mounts/balances/installs new tire and a different price (less cost) if I remove tire/rim and bring to his shop for the new tire to be mounted and balanced. 
Current Ride:  2000 Kawasaki Concours, 30,000 mile
Candy Persimmon Red & Cosmic Gray Accent

For Sale:  2000 Kawasaki Concours, 83,000 mile
Parts Bike:  1987 Kawasaki Concours   Wineberry Red

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 12:00:21 am »
All front and rear motorcycle tires are mismatched, when you think about it. But I don't mind mixing* as I ride the front and rear differently anyway. But, I would prefer not to mix a super grippy tire with a not so grippy tire. Which is to say I wouldn't want a not so grippy tire, if you know what I mean.  :017:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that your brain processes the grip of the front tire and rear tire as two separate events. So you start to learn that one or the other is starting to lose grip at certain speeds, certain conditions, or you keep going faster until you feel that edge, and when it happens at the same time in the front and the rear, that is good, but if say for example the rear is losing grip first, that is bad because you think, 'hmmm I could go faster if I had a better rear tire'.

Not including the case of where you enter a corner faster than you should have and then you go 'oh crap'.

* from a functional point of view, aesthetically I like having the same brand tire front and rear, but it's not a big deal for me as my bikes all look like crap anyway.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 12:09:39 am by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline works4me

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10594
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 12:13:37 am »
It's terrifying to think dealers actually get 500.00
for a set of mounted tires.
I get my front T-30 from Amazon for about 101.00.
The rear Shinko 777 is about 90.00 from most
online retailers.
I bring my wheels to my local dealer for mounting,
40.00 for both including taxes and disposal.
I don't understand the prices some dealers are charging.
AFWIW, the T-30/777 combo has been an awesome
combination for 11-12K miles a pair.

Offline RJSutherland

• Moped
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 01:11:54 am »

Thanks, Ron.

I'm not mechanical enough to remove and replace the wheels yet.

Well, maybe I could do it once ... if I had EMTs waiting for me at the end of my road.

Jason no longer works at Rider's Hill. He always made the ride there worthwhile.  Lee, the new guy, sounds nice. Professional.  They want $60-70/tire to take the wheels on/off and mount new tires.

The new (to me at least) guys at the Bike Stop in Cleveland said I could bring my own tires in for mounting ... on or off the bike.  That might work.

The dealer in Gainesville was terribly disappointing the last time I left it there for a simple repair that required ordered parts.  They left my bike out in the rain and it was filthy when I got it back way past when they should have.

I don't do business with other shops anymore.

Hard to believe I've had these tires since May of 2013.

Time for new ones.

And an oil change.
<gasp>

RJS
Do no evil.
Return no evil.
Fear no evil.

Kawasaki 440 LTD
Honda 750 Custom
Kawasaki 750 LTD
2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800-A
2005 Kawasaki Concours C-10

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 01:22:22 am »
Interesting news. Haven't been to Rider's Hill in a while. I guess they went up.

Last ones I had done in Braselton trying to get to know those guys. I know you've used the guys in Cleveland before. I've tried to do business with them in Gainesville twice. The first time they gave me bad info about coolant capacity, the second time, they messed up my valve cover gasket. I wound up doing my valves over again and have ever since. If you find a good place, how about let me know.Thanks.
Ron

2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Charliedog

• Bicycle
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 04:19:39 pm »
Unfortunately most dealers in my area will either:  a.  Not mount & balance tires not purchased from them-citing liability issues (?), or b.  Charge double for mounting & balancing tires not purchased from them citing lost profit from the lost tire sale. 

OTOH one of the local dealers discounts tire prices to almost mail order prices, and sometimes in the winter months will offer free mounting & balancing.  That works for me.

Offline works4me

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10594
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 05:00:54 pm »
Unfortunately most dealers in my area will either:  a.  Not mount & balance tires not purchased from them-citing liability issues (?), or b.  Charge double for mounting & balancing tires not purchased from them citing lost profit from the lost tire sale. 

OTOH one of the local dealers discounts tire prices to almost mail order prices, and sometimes in the winter months will offer free mounting & balancing.  That works for me.

Sounds like it's time to invest in a tire changers.
I refuse to be extorted by bad business practices.

Offline rick3foxes

• Scooter
  • Apex, NC (USA)
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 07:27:45 pm »
Agreed.
That's what pushed me over the edge.
After driving across the county and waiting 2 hours for my tires to be changed for $80, I went DIY:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,55637.msg411747.html#msg411747

The Mojolever makes all the difference in the world!

>:D
IBA #34853
2012 Alaska Trip Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T578lzlENSY
2014 Western Trip Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJgillo35KA
"...miles to go before I sleep."  - Robert Frost

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 08:24:46 pm »
Three Harbor Freight tire levers and a plastic trash bag and I'll race anyone with any machine to mount two tires.  It just ain't hard to do. Practice does build confidence and competence.
I usually buy tires from www.Americanmototire.com.  Plenty of good sources with excellent prices to buy from still.
A pair of stock Connie sized Avom 3D XM to my door is $267.09 right now. That's with the 110/80 front and 150/80 rear.
Mount em yerself and ride happy.
BTW... I balance mine on the stock axles between a couple of jackstands, chairs, or even five gallon buckets.  Frugalicious is the name of da game..
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Rain Dancer

• Street Cruiser
  • Just Ridin' in the rain......
  • COG#: 10523
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 03:42:32 pm »
I always think about it, but the local shop does it for me right away, the tire prices are within 10 bucks of mail order, and I don't have to find a place to take the old tires.  If that should change......well, not like I didn't do enough tires as a mechanic, can always go back to it. Always seems there is something else I want more....like now, a new drill press.........

"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."  Dennis Miller

1997Connie (rip?), 2004 FJR, 1983 xs650, 1980 xs11

Offline VisionDonNebr

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11206
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 04:15:53 pm »
When I got my last set of tires dealer said yeah, he can basically match the on line price BUT since I will have to than pay the local "sales" tax, he can never beat the on line stores.  And I suppose it they match the on line store price their profit is now so low they won't discount installation even if you buy the tire from them. Of course, we don't know what dealers invoice price is, seems like the parts department and service department do not "work" together.

Did my fork seals last winter so I now know how to remove the front tire but danged if I am going to try to take that rear tire off, I will pay the extra money!   

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 04:25:08 pm »
Don,
the rear tire on a C10 can be removed in 5 min or less. Ask DCconours how long it took me to get his tires off his bike. No air tools, no expensive lifts etc. 2x4 and hand tools.
1 I do not remove both mufflers as it is unnecessary. Only pull the muffler that is on the axle BOLT side not the nut side muffler. Pull the cotter pin and use a wrench on the axle nut. Then you can pull the axle bolt out.
2  If you rolled the rear tire onto a 2x6 or similar you can use another 2x under the center stand. You can wiggle the rear tire out from under the stock fender this way. (having the shock pumped up definitely helps DAMHIK).
I only had to remove the rear caliper bolt to allow it to slide out of the way. Yes it really is easy.
Matt
2011 GSX1250 FA
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline goatmar

• Crotch Rocket
  • I do believe, help my unbelief.
  • COG#: 7957
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 05:52:32 pm »
I thought we are running 120's not 110's on the fronts????????  Beside that as far as balancing just do Durabeads, put them in your done and always balanced.  :great:
Dave Muzzey  St. Charles, IL  COG#7957  '01 Connie  100K miles and counting

Offline antibus

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11339
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 07:36:36 pm »
I got a tire changer and balancer and have been loving it. It's a little north of $500 to have any shop in my area change tires. This way I can put on a set of fresh tires for a long road trip and not junk tires that still have a few thousand in them. Not sure if that is a best practice however I'm not dead yet.
CDA #0542

Offline VisionDonNebr

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11206
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 09:24:21 pm »
Well see, there is the problem.  There was NO way that muffler was coming off, when I got to the point I was going to most likely knock the bike of the center stand I gave up.  I don't know how the shop did it, they did not take the muffler off either.

Over the years the heat, cold, heat cold cycles have sort of "welded" that connection together. (oh yeah, took the pinch bolt off, it was rusty and snapped the head off anyway, didn't even bother to replace it).

My Yamaha Vision is also shaft drive, my experience on that bike is that the wonderful shaft drive always made it a not so fun experience putting the wheel back on also. 

I think I am getting old. 

Offline ACISROC

• Coordinator for the" Help A Cogger Out" thread.
  • Iron Butt
  • Red C-10 called Diablo
  • COG#: 11845
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 10:28:15 pm »
I don't scrimp when it comes to tires, Pirelli Diablo's for me ordered from Italy carried them on bike, dealer installed, $510.00 total cost.
There are "Bold Riders" and their are "Old Riders" but their are very few "OLD BOLD RIDERS"
 2003 C-10, C.O.G.Member#11845, A.T.G.A.T.T.
SW Chapter "Bold Riders" Retired Scout 12%er

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 12:07:12 pm »
I started changing my own tires on the last set.  Surprisingly, it's not hard to do.  Two or 3 tire tools, couple of large zip ties and a squirt bottle of RU-GLIDE.  However, the best part about changing your own tires, or at least removing them and taking them to whomever to change out, is the fact that you can do your own inspection of critical items while your there.
Brakes, steering head bearings, swing arm bearings, grease rear wheel coupler/ring gear, grease final drive propeller shaft joint, grease axles, grease Uni-Trak linkage, check wheel bearings, speedo drive and cable, tire balance, all items torqued correctly during reassembly, etc.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 10:12:57 pm »
Now I'm feeling guilty... :-[
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 11:40:09 pm »
Don,
The other option is to remove the shock link and let the swingarm drop down low enough the axle bolt will clear the mufflers.
Matt
2011 GSX1250 FA
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')