Author Topic: $500 for a set of C-10 tires installed?  (Read 7029 times)

Offline VisionDonNebr

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11206
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: $500 for a set of C-10 tires installed?
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2015, 03:00:46 pm »
Hummm...bet that is what the shop did.  Thanks for the knowledge and idea. 

Offline goatmar

• Crotch Rocket
  • I do believe, help my unbelief.
  • COG#: 7957
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2015, 05:52:40 pm »
I started changing my own tires on the last set.  Surprisingly, it's not hard to do.  Two or 3 tire tools, couple of large zip ties and a squirt bottle of RU-GLIDE.  However, the best part about changing your own tires, or at least removing them and taking them to whomever to change out, is the fact that you can do your own inspection of critical items while your there.
Brakes, steering head bearings, swing arm bearings, grease rear wheel coupler/ring gear, grease final drive propeller shaft joint, grease axles, grease Uni-Trak linkage, check wheel bearings, speedo drive and cable, tire balance, all items torqued correctly during reassembly, etc.

Hey Jim what also works great is a spray foam window cleaner from home depot that works great.  No residue once dried.

Sprayway glass cleaner
Dave Muzzey  St. Charles, IL  COG#7957  '01 Connie  100K miles and counting

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2015, 07:55:35 pm »
I started changing my own tires on the last set.  Surprisingly, it's not hard to do.  Two or 3 tire tools, couple of large zip ties and a squirt bottle of RU-GLIDE.  However, the best part about changing your own tires, or at least removing them and taking them to whomever to change out, is the fact that you can do your own inspection of critical items while your there.
Brakes, steering head bearings, swing arm bearings, grease rear wheel coupler/ring gear, grease final drive propeller shaft joint, grease axles, grease Uni-Trak linkage, check wheel bearings, speedo drive and cable, tire balance, all items torqued correctly during reassembly, etc.

Hey Jim what also works great is a spray foam window cleaner from home depot that works great.  No residue once dried.

Sprayway glass cleaner
Sprayway is my favorite glass cleaner.  Back in the seventies and early eighties, if you would order 100 cases at a time they would put YOUR company name on it (mostly it was purchased by glass companies back then and I owned one).  Mine was called "Instant" Glass Cleaner.  Anyway, it's still the best in my opinion and I use it to mount tires sometimes too... UNLESS I have a good ol' plastic trash bag.

I demonstrated for a few folks at the Silverdammit National how to mount a tire with NO tools, no lubricant other than your bare hands and a trash bag.  Total elapsed time?  In most cases about 7 seconds.  You simply lay the rim flat (or in my case on a couple of 2 X 4s in order to protect the rotor) and lay the trash bag so that it covers the entire rim.  Naturally the bag needs to be of sufficient size to do this.  55 gallon black bags are best.  Some are better than others by a large margin (the crispy feeling ones are better than rubbery ones), but I have yet to find one that won't work.

Anyways, lay the bag over the rim so that it is two layers thick and lay the tire on top of that.  Now push it down, both beads of the tire together, over the rim and work it around simply shoving it over the rim.  Once it is all the way on, pull the bag from between the tire and rim and inflate as usual. CAKE!

Then clean the rim with Sprayway before installing just cuz it smells so good.   I reckon I could do a video or something.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2015, 08:09:37 pm »
Holy @#$%.  This I've got to try and I just happen to have a spanking new PR3 going on the front next weekend and crispy 55 gallon bags.
Thanks!

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2015, 08:21:53 pm »
Typically, getting the new tire on is not where the real difficulty lies. More often than not with tubeless moto tires it is in breaking the bead loose. I do like the trash bag idea though.
Rev,
Do you have a trick for that bag to get the bead loose and the tire off the rim? Now that I would like to see in 7 seconds.
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 08:44:50 pm »
Typically, getting the new tire on is not where the real difficulty lies. More often than not with tubeless moto tires it is in breaking the bead loose. I do like the trash bag idea though.
Rev,
Do you have a trick for that bag to get the bead loose and the tire off the rim? Now that I would like to see in 7 seconds.
Matt
Yes I do, but it involves acetylene and matches and may exceed legal noise db limits in some locales and re-locating the rim may take more than 7 seconds in some cases.   :nananana:

I use a folding tree step screwed into a tree outside my shop door.  I slip a piece of fence rail about five feet long (or the handle off my Snap-On floor jack) onto the step and then use that assembly to apply leverage to a chunk of 2 X 4 cut off at a 45* angle.  The bead is broken in a few seconds on each side.  This also requires throwing down a couple of boards to protect the rotors, but takes next to no time. I got the tree step at WalMart about 15 years ago for about 25-50 cents I think.  At the end of every hunting season I would go buy all they had and put them on eBay for $2 each.  Sold em all in lots of 10.  I have a small handful left over and they work great for hanging hoses, breaking beads or climbing a tree if you've the need.  A man has to keep stuff sometimes.

Jim,
You are golden with the crispy bags.  I never liked those bags until I found this use for em.  Now I can't hardly ever find em. LOL
Report back at how crazy EZ this is. The world is full of skeptics.  But Draino won't hurt your pipes and The Rev would never tug on yer trash bag.   :D

EDIT TO ADD:
BTW, Michelins are the toughest tires to get on and off I have ever messed with.  Avons are cake.  Nonetheless this trick works a treat. Ya just have to push a little bit more.  I learned this trick from a farmer mounting antique tractor tires.  I couldn't wait to try it. Then I didn't and forgot about it for a few years.  I still forget about it sometimes.  I'm just used to doin' it ol' skool... with Sprayway. LOL
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:50:50 pm by Rev Ryder »
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 08:48:09 pm »
Rev,
Matt

Kickstand of a motorcycle to bust the bead  :great:
KiPass!

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2015, 08:52:01 pm »
Dirt bike yeah.  Street bike?  Not a connie.  For starters, to get the kickstand that high will require cracking plastic on the far side. LOL
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline flivver

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2015, 09:54:55 pm »
I use a folding tree step screwed into a tree outside my shop door...

I don't suppose you have a video of this...?  I'm having trouble visualizing it all.
AMA #2994244 / 2002 ZG1000 / 2000 Honda Shadow VT750C (sold)
Lowered Pegs, Handlebar Risers, Madstad 16" Windscreen, Grip Heaters, Murph's Side Cover Knobs, Bergmen Quick Release
I love this place!

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2015, 11:30:46 pm »
Do you have a Cycle Gear outlet close to you. Free mount and balance when you bring in your wheels and you purchase the tires from them. They have competitive pricing on tires most of the time. HTH.

Thanks AirMonger. I wasn't aware of that.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline J.R.

• Mini Bike
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2015, 12:50:35 am »
The folding tree step is installed upside down? So that the step can be used as a pry point for the fence rail (i.e. lever), then folded back down out of the way?

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2015, 01:20:16 am »
The folding tree step is installed upside down? So that the step can be used as a pry point for the fence rail (i.e. lever), then folded back down out of the way?

This is prezactly correct.

and...
No, I don't have any video, but may have to make one soon to show the tree-step bead-breaker and trashbag process.  It's all rather crude, but simple, quick, and best of all CHEAP.  Like me.  ;D

EDIT TO ADD:
I do have to be a little careful with my riding lawnmower around that tree.  Don't wanna get caught on the step.

EDIT AGAIN TO ADD EVEN MORE:
Now y'all made me go out in the bitter 40 degree weather and take a picture of the stupid tree step. LOL
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:30:55 am by Rev Ryder »
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline fred-houston

• Officer
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG Membership Officer
  • COG#: 9066
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2015, 01:30:02 am »
This is what I use to break the tire beads http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0519/

Works great.
Fred Boothe - COG Membership Officer
Missouri City, TeXaS
1999 C-10 EFI (Semi Naked)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2015, 11:44:49 am »
When I usta do mine, I used a Hi-lift jack, base on the tire, the lift point under the receiver hitch on the truck or El Camino. Worked just dandy.

The guy at the local indy shop does them now for $25 per, works for me.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline flivver

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2015, 12:14:16 pm »
Once you break the bead, isn't it still a pain to get the tire off with spoons?
Lowered Pegs, Handlebar Risers, Madstad 16" Windscreen, Grip Heaters, Murph's Side Cover Knobs, Bergmen Quick Release
I love this place!

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2015, 12:30:43 pm »
The secret is the lube.  I use RU-GLIDE and others have said foam window cleaner works wonders, too.  Break the bead all the way around and make sure that both beads at the end that you are NOT working on are tucked into the recess in the rim (use a long zip tie to squish them together, if necessary).  Lube up the beads, and at the other end, put 2 spoons under the first bead (use some plastic strips from a milk jug between the spoons and the rim) and that's usually all that's needed to get the rest of that side of the tire off using you hands.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 12:41:49 pm by Jim »

Offline flivver

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2015, 12:49:42 pm »
Thanks, Jim.  I'm about due for a rear tire (I've got only 5K very non aggressive miles on a Avon AV46 Azaro, and it's about at the wear bar), and am contemplating doing the replacement myself.  Rev makes putting the tire back on sound positive trivial...
I love this place!

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2015, 12:59:19 pm »
Once you break the bead, isn't it still a pain to get the tire off with spoons?
It IS about the lube.  But it's not that hard dry either. As mentioned previously, I use Sprayway for lube when I use it. But one tire iron and a dead blow hammer well get the tire off in a few seconds.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2015, 01:20:35 pm »
Hey rev,
I hear dynamite works in flash/bang too!
Matt

How about that removal video?
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline Dan Vitous

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 8306
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2015, 02:14:56 pm »
I followed the Dave Morrow write-ups available in Tech Pages.  Built the box to protect the brake discs, and the 2x4 bead breaker works like a champ!

Tech-wise... tires are probably the least intimidating.

I my 2nd set (dealer mounted) ran a 110 front (I have a '99).  I tried a PR110  on my 3rd set, moutning myself, and couldn't get it to seat, nor could 2 dealers.  Ended up going back to a 120.

I'm running Avon Road Riders now, with a 110 front again - mounted myself with no problem.
Dan   
Naperville, IL     
COG#3533
CDA#0129
AMA#522689                             

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2015, 04:14:29 pm »
Hey rev,
I hear dynamite works in flash/bang too!
Matt

How about that removal video?

Not being from the Nor'East, it was all I could bring myself to do to go out and take a pichur of a tree in the dark in 40*F weather.  Now you wants me to go make a video?  Are you crazy?  A feller could freeze to death out there.  We're in the middle of a blue norther... it probably won't even hit 60 for a week.   :o

OK, so it's supposed to be 73*F by Sunday... but still I'd have to wear a sweater... or maybe long sleeves.  :D
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2015, 08:08:28 pm »
It was a balmy 18f here in NH. I set up my table saw and router outside and reworked some doors for a customer it was so nice with no wind and only a slight bit of snow falling.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2015, 08:18:18 pm »
Geez Willy,
That almost sounds like a Norman Rockwell post card to me. 

A FROST BITTEN POST CARD!!!!    :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Where I live that's like dark-side-of-the-moon type stuff.   :D 

and I'm kinda skeared of the dark.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline flivver

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2015, 10:54:45 pm »
Is a new valve stem mandatory, as well? 
I love this place!

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2015, 10:56:49 pm »
Is a new valve stem mandatory, as well?
If it's rubber, replace it.  If it's a metal one, it's probably ok.  If its age is unknown though, new ones are good piece of mind,
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie