Author Topic: 1986 suspension up date required  (Read 887 times)

Offline -HARDCORE-

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7570
  • Membership Level: Active
1986 suspension up date required
« on: March 11, 2013, 07:29:36 pm »
Hi every one, I have a simple question since I have decided to keep my original 1986 Concours going, 172k on it now
The bike usually has the bags full of stuff (cameras/computer/clothes) and will be required to carry 2 people so the total will be 600lb
I still have the air shocks in the front (I know, shocking) rear has been re oiled.
Any ideas as to what springs and shocks I should be looking for ?
John
86 CONCOURSE "FLUX"

Offline Pat and Sher in MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7670
Re: 1986 suspension up date required
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 03:41:56 am »
** Deleted **
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 04:03:31 am by Pat and Sher in MA »
Pat & Sher in Ma.  04 C10 Dark Angel,  87 Ninja 600RX, 79 KZ1300 (x2)

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 03:16:17 pm »
Like me you need a spring on the refrigerator door and to be shocked how much weight you lost.   :D
Just kidding because I have the same issue.  Me and the lovely SO are close to the bike load limit.

I have seen stock connies carry way more than recommended.  By way more I am talking two 300lb people loaded with full bags.  Does not mean it was safe or that better shocks would not have helped but it is a very capable bike.  If you pump the back up full pressure and the front too it may do fine.  Other then that you could look for threads about front end upgrades and rear shock replacement but no good options are cheap.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline -HARDCORE-

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 7570
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 05:44:18 pm »
Murph suggested 1.2 progressive springs in the front and a 465 in the rear.
We have seen guys putting a stock c14 shock in as a up grade. Pat Mulloy is looking into that idea.
Used c14 shock is $150.00
John
86 CONCOURSE "FLUX"

Offline kd50

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10028
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 02:46:10 pm »
I will say that my 86 suspension was so horrible that I had no choice but I recently replaced the rear with the zzr shock. Got it a while back cheap on e-bay when everyone else was buying them up. Don't know if there are any left in that lot but it made a night and day difference. For the front I ended up going with a Race Tech package deal with emulators, compression and rebound springs. Again, Night and day. None of this was cheap in the sense of nickel and dimes but as far as suspension prices typically run, I was more than comfortable with the tag. Start to finish it was right around $500. Of course if you do a tiny bit of research you will find a cheap spacer sollution to the front. Not so easy out back though.

Good Luck 
'86 Concours totally custom just fer me!!