Author Topic: meanstreak wheel machining  (Read 4258 times)

Offline valvestem

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 8936
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
meanstreak wheel machining
« on: March 08, 2013, 06:28:49 am »
 :)
Hi All;
 Going to have my meanstreak wheel machined and have a quote of 150.00
Does that sound about right for price. Perhaps a bit high but guess no one wants to work for nothing.
 Someone give me a clue if you have had this work done for you.
             Thanks
                 Valvestem

Offline cafefill

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 10349
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: meanstreak wheel machining
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 10:47:39 am »
  I just got one done last month by a friend. Cost me a 6 pack, but color my lucky to have a friend with a lathe with a swing that big in his home shop. He turned it with the bearings in it- chucked it up with the quills in the bearing centers, and lashed the wheel down with a stiff bungee cord.
  With that said, $150 sounds steep to me. It only took a half hour, all told, to get the job done. Perhaps you ought to shop around, perhaps check with your local technical college and see if they can do it there for educational purposes?
  Also- have your new valve stems in hand before you get the work done. The angled valve stem I bought was short for the super thick hole in the wheel, and the inside of the rim had to be counterbored about 1/4" so the nut would thread on.
HTH
Cafefill
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 05:00:08 pm by cafefill »

Offline worncog

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9584
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 12:10:51 pm »
The challenge is finding a machine with adequate swing over the bed. I live in a small town and no shop has a big enough swing, so I had to have it machined on a CNC mill. It is much faster to have it done on a lathe. Minimal setup. Mine cost $225, but the offset of shipping it to and from a wheel shop for the reduction would only save me less than $50. And I do like the old face to face explanation of what I would like done to the part. 

Remember you are paying someone for their years of experience and the facility. I'm glad you had a hookup though, as I get quite a few things done for beer 'round here.
RWTW, COBDR, SM 500, BVF...

'14 S10, '06 C10, '07 DR650, '14 250XC-F

Offline WG

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 4627
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 02:20:05 pm »
I had mine done last spring.  The first machine shop I went to seemed hesitant and didn't think his lathe had enough throat capacity to handle the job, so he referred me to a wheel repair business that has a different kind of lathe and was even closer to my home.  They did the job for me for $85.

There were some doubts about whether I'd gone to the right place when the machinist kept saying that .300" was "thirty thousanths" rather than "three hundred thousanths." ... perhaps it helped that I reminded him that it was more than a quarter of an inch!  ::)

Good luck.  Being able to mount tires designed this century is one of the best things I've ever done for the 'ole girl.
---
Wayne.

Offline Dave Scott

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 02:39:15 pm »
Mine cost me $150.  more of the cost was setup time than the actual work.  your price seems to be pretty much in line.

Offline Uglydog56

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9186
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 03:26:29 pm »
I paid 40.00  He did it on an end mill.  He was an old retired guy in his garage though who worked when he felt like it so it took a week.
Rick A. Cone    98 Connie  82 Yamaha Seca 900  76 Honda CB 400F

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 09:06:49 pm »
$150 might be a little high, but not much if at all really.  Kinda depends on yer market.  some places machine work is higher than others.   I had mine machined over 4 years ago and it cost me $100 and included turning down the Meanie rotor.  C'mon guys, having a buddy do it and reporting what a great deal ya got is hardly helping anyone realize a real-world, what-anyone-can-get-done cost.

The work can be done in a lathe or mill, but not generally for equal dollars or time.  I think $150 is OK, but not a GREAT deal... but again, it ain't the worst either.  My concern when doing mine was the total cost of wheel PLUS machine work.  I got my rim reasonable enough I wouldn't have screamed too loud if I'd have had to pay more for the machine work.  Bottom line is if you're happy and the machinist is happy... well, I'm happy too.  Welcome to the 17" Meanie wheel club.   :beerchug:
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline danodemotoman

• Sport Tourer
  • Yo Ho, Yo HO, it's a bikers life for me!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 2877
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 09:23:37 pm »
 Time is money in a production shop paying wages.

Mine cost me $150.  more of the cost was setup time than the actual work.  your price seems to be pretty much in line.

Offline 2linby

• Iron Butt
  • I rode today, did you?
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 5539
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 11:37:29 pm »
Not a great price, but a fair price.
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by" "Everything is simple, but nothing is easy".
Ex NWAD, AAD, COG #5539, IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor, Mentor 2001 Sonic Blue  166K and counting!
http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BBG)
http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip

Offline Dave Scott

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 8603
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 02:28:52 am »
The work can be done in a lathe or mill, but not generally for equal dollars or time.  I think $150 is OK, but not a GREAT deal... but again, it ain't the worst either.  My concern when doing mine was the total cost of wheel PLUS machine work.  I got my rim reasonable enough I wouldn't have screamed too loud if I'd have had to pay more for the machine work.   Bottom line is if you're happy and the machinist is happy... well, I'm happy too.  Welcome to the 17" Meanie wheel club.   :beerchug:

that's basically how I looked at it too, Rev.  The important part is how happy you'll be with the 17!  Be sure you do the front conversion too.  After that, I wouldn't trade my 10 for a 14 (no offense to the 14 guys cause when this one wears out I'll own one of them too).  I'm just that happy with mine now.  :)

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 05:50:45 am »
CNC setup and ready to go here Daytona. $50
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit 100+HP  + way more torque.
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 03:43:00 pm »
Mike, are you saying you are a machinist with a CNC set up and ready to machine Meanie wheels for $50 a pop?
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Bergmen

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 03:50:36 pm »
As others have said it can be machined on a lathe or Bridgeport-type vertical mill with a rotary table. Also, as mentioned, the set-up (if the shop does not do this type of work regularly) will take most of the time. In that case, it is best not to rush the set-up, well worth the hourly rate to make sure the first chips that fly are the ones that should fly. I paid $100.00 for mine at a shop that specilaizes in custom wheel work (Kosman), done on a vertical mill.

Dan
--2014 Yamaha FJR1300A--
--ZGRX 1200 Concours (sold)--
--SPOOFAK Inventor--

Offline cafefill

• Mini Bike
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 07:26:18 pm »
  Sorry Rev- the intent wasn't to brag about how cheap I got mine done. I did want to report that it took a bit more than a half hour to do it. $150 bucks would translate into almost $300 an hour, which I thought was a bit high. But- perhaps some shops take longer. I really only chimed in to warn about the fitment of the valve stem, which could have been fit at the time of machining instead of scrambling later to figure a way to do it after powdercoating.
  I also can't wait to get decent tires on this bike with the 17" wheels. This running out of rubber on an extended trip might be a thing of the past now.
  Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes.  :(
Cafefill

Offline GF-in-CA

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 11:52:14 pm »
    Also- have your new valve stems in hand before you get the work done. The angled valve stem I bought was short for the super thick hole in the wheel, and the inside of the rim had to be counterbored about 1/4" so the nut would thread on.

Just FYI, the Mean Streak wheel uses a specific valve stem, Kawasaki part number 16126-1191.  I did mention it in the article, but it is probably not as clear as it could be.  The stem will usually be included with a used wheel, but not always, as you found.  A new wheel won't have one, and you'll need to get the stem separately.

HTH,
Gary F.

1998 ZGX1100
Central Valley California

Offline Dougpod

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 8588
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 02:04:34 am »
Had mine done on an end mill also.  Then mounted a ZRX front end. Been on there for four years now and still can't believe how much better it is.

It isn't a cheap conversion, but worth every penny!

Doug
Doug Podgorny  Monee,IL  AMA #593738 COG #8588 CDA 0290  02 Concours  83 Suzuki GS650MD Katana

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 06:48:25 am »
  Sorry Rev- the intent wasn't to brag about how cheap I got mine done. I did want to report that it took a bit more than a half hour to do it. $150 bucks would translate into almost $300 an hour, which I thought was a bit high. But- perhaps some shops take longer. I really only chimed in to warn about the fitment of the valve stem, which could have been fit at the time of machining instead of scrambling later to figure a way to do it after powdercoating.
  I also can't wait to get decent tires on this bike with the 17" wheels. This running out of rubber on an extended trip might be a thing of the past now.
  Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes.  :(
Cafefill

My apologies Phil.  I came off sounding pretty judgmental or self-righteous there alright.  I'm a bit surprised your guy was able to gitterdun that quickly though.  Mine was done on a lathe and setup seemed to take forever.  Actual machining was pretty quick though.  Well, and mine also included the rotor for which he had to make a fixture to hold it.  That took a good thirty minutes I'll bet. 

Some shops also have a minimum... like a two hour minimum charge.  If I touch it, it's two hours.

AND maybe it's a little like putting on the loop for the cruise controls... sometimes it just goes right on, other times it takes hours and lots of French words.   :-X

Bottom line... the new rubber possibilities will definitely make it worthwhile.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:51:46 am by Rev Ryder »
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline cafefill

• Mini Bike
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 11:07:07 am »
  I know exactly what you mean. The first bike I installed the cruise on went well. The second time, I learned some new four letter words getting that stupid loop on.
  Perhaps I could check with my friend and see if he'd be willing to turn some Mean Streaks for guys on the forum. I'd imagine shipping would kinda offset the savings, however, but I could see nonetheless.
Cafefill

Offline Bergmen

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 04:38:31 pm »
Had mine done on an end mill also.  Then mounted a ZRX front end. Been on there for four years now and still can't believe how much better it is.

It isn't a cheap conversion, but worth every penny!

Doug

Absolutely. The combination of the ZRX front end and Mean Streak wheel revolutionizes the handling and braking of the Concours.

Dan
--2014 Yamaha FJR1300A--
--ZGRX 1200 Concours (sold)--
--SPOOFAK Inventor--

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 11:54:54 pm »

Mike, are you saying you are a machinist with a CNC set up and ready to machine Meanie wheels for $50 a pop?

My friend works here:  http://www.ccwheel.com/
and did mine and few others  from this forum. It has been a while since I spoke to him. You would have to go through me to get it done and I would check with him to make sure the machine is still ready to go and the price is the same. He does it after hours I am sure.
Let me know. It was $50 when this mod was at its peak a few years ago when Bergman came up with the idea.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit 100+HP  + way more torque.
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline valvestem

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 8936
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 08:06:30 pm »
 :)
Thanks a lot for all the great replies (info). Really appreciate it.
Going to go with the original quote. 150.00
 I also have Soupys lowering links and a c14 shock to put on. It should be a
 sweet running set up. I'm getting kinda slow and old, getting things done anymore.
78 and counting and will take all I can get.
            Thanks All
                 Valvestem :))

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 11:33:22 pm »
78 years?? and counting!!!, God bless. I hope to be still be on a bike by 70, just north of 50 myself.
You'll like the tire options that the 17" tire will get you.
I run the dual compound Avon Azzaro Storm 2.
Although the dual compound Azzaro is now available in the stock size if you get a 1912 or later date code.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:28:49 am by Bob_C_CT »
Southern Connecticut.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline GF-in-CA

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 02:28:33 am »
I run the dual compound azzaro.

Bob, I think you mean the Storm 2, the only 17" rear Azaro is a 140/80.

I, too, would love to be riding at 76, much less wrenching.   :beerchug:
Gary F.

1998 ZGX1100
Central Valley California

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 08:24:51 am »
Thanks Gary, you are correct, Storm.
Forget me riding at that age, I don't even know what tires I have on my bike now. I do have to admit sometimes coming out of work to a 50 space parking lot I forget where I parked the cage that morning. More reason to ride the bike to work.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:30:44 am by Bob_C_CT »
Southern Connecticut.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline Jwh360

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 10578
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 12:48:36 am »
Anyone know of a shop in the greater Los Angeles area that does the machining?  Just picked up a Meanie wheel and want to get it on the bike asap.
SW-AAD SoCal - 2012 Concours 14 "Big Red", 1979 RD400F Daytona Special, 2013 Suzuki GSX-R 750 "Money Pit"