Author Topic: meanstreak wheel machining  (Read 4264 times)

Offline markthink

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10306
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: meanstreak wheel machining
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 09:58:12 pm »
I went to Barnstorm Cycles for this in Spencer, MA. I was first so it was a little extra, then again I opted in for the bearings and powder coat too, along with a PR3. Sent Dad for his to follow mine and I think he came in at around that $150 including new bearings installed since Jake has the jig he built for it at hand now. Don't know if he ships- definite recommend for locals though.

Offline GF-in-CA

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2013, 10:46:46 pm »
Kosman near Santa Rosa is able to do this  http://kosmanspecialties.com/

Not southern California, I know, but still within a couple days shipping.

HTH,
Gary F.

1998 ZGX1100
Central Valley California

Offline tdbru

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10824
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 01:04:22 am »
Doug,
I just had mine done.  the price was the same as your quote $150.
Bob told me it cost him $150 also.  seems to be in the ball park.  all I could find locally.  no one had a lathe big enough, this place put it on a CNC mill.  but they also chased the threads deeper for that price too.  might be cheaper other places but by the time you add shipping and insurance....

GF-in-CA, what is the torque value for the mean streak valve stem nuts?

-Brian

Offline AirMonger

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10838
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 01:50:18 am »
I am an accidental mean streak wheel owner now. Now for my tale. A riding buddy is having his Mean Streak gone thru, bigger jugs and some other frivolous performance upgrades. He let me 'borrow' his rear wheel while this is going on to see what the fit and look was going to be. Fate would have it, he decided to repaint the bike at the same time because of all things, he scored a set of red Mean Streak wheels for a song when he bought a parts bike. OK, the wheel in my possession is no gem by any stretch of the imagination. It looks bad outside as well as inside. When I dismounted the tire (which would not hold air without some kind of liquid sealant) it was chewed up on the inside from a bad experience with a tire machine. Multiple times from what I can see. Anyway, I got the machine work done for 120.00 dollars and thought that was steep, but from what I see it was certainly in the ball park. The only bad thing was that the local shop here could only use one machine with a bed large enough to accept the rim. CNC was quoted at 4-6 hundred for set up by the way, so that was out of the question. Now take in to consideration that South Texas is in the middle of a oil boom right now, people pretty much get what they are asking for any kind of mechanical service. Bottom line, they physically chucked the hub up and made the desired modification (perfectly) but with some minimal marking of the wheel center. The rim is fairly rough anyway thanks to the Corpus Christi Crud, so I am having the wheel powder coated. It wasn't free but it wasn't expensive so what the hey. Sometimes dumb luck just falls on a guy. Kind of makes the misguided effort of trying to put a Yamaha wheel on the front easier to swallow.
"It usually takes 20 years before people begin to appreciate a good design." Kevin Cameron

Offline markthink

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10306
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2013, 11:20:59 pm »
1 ^ 'physically chuck it up' and just do it. Tight and right, by hand. My experience says a 'feel' for the job amounts to far more than 'done by CNC.' Good stuff.

Offline AirMonger

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10838
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2013, 01:32:17 am »
Kind of like knowing how to drag a feeler gauge thru a follower or knowing how to pinch the shaft towers on an Airhead Beemer to quiet it down while adjusting valves. Yep, some things are just an acquired skill. Not found in any service manual.
"It usually takes 20 years before people begin to appreciate a good design." Kevin Cameron

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2013, 04:04:13 am »
I will have to check to see if my friend still charges $50 to do that job on a CNC machine.
Some one from this forum had one done recently at my friends shop. I never heard back as to how that went.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit 100+HP  + way more torque.
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!