Author Topic: new front tire  (Read 1526 times)

Offline mf-rabbit

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9851
  • Membership Level: Active
new front tire
« on: April 16, 2012, 01:05:12 am »
Just wonderin if anyone has run into this? I got a new front tire from the dealer and had them mount it after I took the wheel off the bike myself and took it down there.Well it seems like I've noticed a slight bit more vibration in the handlebars and when I loosen my grip up alot the front end shimmy's-not real bad but I don't remember it doing it before.Put her up on the center stand and checked for play in the stem bearings and didn't notice any so I built a stand for the front tire and took it off the bike and put it on the stand and spun it and it always ends up with the valve stem at the bottom,I taped a piece of metal (approx. 1oz. ?) opposite the valve stem and it stops in various places when spun.The dealer said they only bubble balance the tires.Feels like they may have goofed up.Any other opinions would be appreciated.

Roger

Offline Apeman

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9793
Re: new front tire
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 01:53:23 am »
I am guessing the dealer either forgot to balance your tire, or the tech did it poorly.  They may have put on a wheel weight and it flew off.  Your simple test proves that it is not in balance.  It may be simpler to just put on the weight yourself, then take it for a test ride to see if there is any difference.

btw, I have been balancing my own motorcycle tires for years, using a technique just like yours.  I have never had a problem with bounce, or shake from my own balancing.  I have heard that this method is more accurate than bubble or hi speed spin balancing. 
I have learned so much from the mistakes I have made.  1993 Concours, and three 1980-81 KZ750s.

Offline mf-rabbit

• Moped
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 10:45:57 am »
Good Morning and Thanks Apeman for responding.You know you guys are Great to help out,I think I'll go down to a local tire shop and get some stick on weights today and tape them on the wheel until I find the sweet spot and go from there.

Roger

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 11:24:15 am »
Stem stering bearing adjustment is a finicky thing. If the wobbles are more prevelant on 45-20 mph deacceleration I would think the bearings are too loose. The test I do is get the front tire off the ground and see how much it takes to get the steering to hit the stops. If it hits the stops and bounces off it is too loose. I have mine setup so it takes around a pound of force to move them center to the stops in both directions. There was an old post that had you use a fish scale to test force. There shouldn't be any notchiness through the entire range which would either indicate dented races or bad bearings.
Southern Connecticut.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline mf-rabbit

• Moped
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 01:07:19 am »
SORRY! For the late reply but I tore the weights off the wheel and static balanced it on a homemade rack for the wheel and got the sweet spot and put it back on the bike and went to the Run With The Wolf Rally only to still feel the front end wobble so when we got back it was time to do a valve adjust and I made a wrench to adjust the stem bearings and man were they loose took a little more than half a turn to get'em right.WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! took her out for a cool evening ride and had to go to sleep smilin YAHOO it's great when she's runnin good >:D Thanks for the help Bob & Ralph :beerchug:

Roger

Offline goatmar

• Crotch Rocket
  • I do believe, help my unbelief.
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7957
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 09:21:58 pm »
DYNA BEADS  :)

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php

They work great, even the Kaw dealer was amazed.  He tested my tire after adding them and it zero out perfectly.
Dave Muzzey  St. Charles, IL  COG#7957  '01 Connie  100K miles and counting

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 11:35:58 am »
Glad it worked out. Agree, going to bed with a smile after getting the bike to run a little better than it was before is a good feeling :beerchug:
Southern Connecticut.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 11:44:41 am »
Plus one for the Dyna Beads, I use them in both my bikes, the '88 with new tires, the '01 I took off all the weights when I repainted the wheels and added Dyna Beads, smooth as silk.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline Piston720

• Scooter
  • COG#: 10213
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 05:51:03 pm »
Dynabeads.
How do you determine how many grams (ounces) to add?

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 05:31:45 pm »
It tells you on their website, IIRC 1oz for the front and 2oz for the rear.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics