Author Topic: New Shinko Verge 150/80ZR16  (Read 6695 times)

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11081
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: New Shinko Verge 150/80ZR16
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 03:40:57 pm »
I removed the Verge rear tire - which still had another 3,000 or so miles left in tread and replaced it with a Michelin Commander II. The motorcycle again handles as it should. Gone is the 85-90mph plus left right left wander and the unsettling feeling when leaned over in curves. I had a spirited 60 mile ride yesterday and the bike again inspires confidence at speed.
A big lesson learned in diagnosis is to assign primary responsibility at the last thing changed at the onset of issues. I could have been rebuilding functional forks or replacing good bearings. Disturbing the forks or bearings would have then made further diagnosis all the more difficult which could have spoiled riding this summer for me. The handling issue clearly started with the installation of the Shinko Verge and ended promptly with its removal.
Looking at the Verge I can see no appreciable difference between it and a Avon 3D-X I still had hanging on the wall. The handling issues of the Verge may have ultimately led to sudden failure or a high speed accident - who knows. Something is wrong with this tire and others in this forum have had similar problems.  I'll write to Shinko not for a refund or adjustment, but to let them know that there may be something wrong with the profile, tread, or construction of this tire.

Yup, I am in the same boat. My Verge 011 tire has 3-400 miles on it, and is coming off soon. I have been in contact with Western Power Sports, who distributes Shinko tires. I sent back another SR777 for being out of round, and I mentioned the problems I have been having with the Verge on my bike. It handled perfectly with the bias-ply SR777 that was just installed, even if the tire had a shake. I didn't realize we had Michelin radials that fit our OEM 16 inch rear rims, I will have to give the Commander II a try. I am sure it will handle nicely with the PR3 that I have on the front, which is a phenomenal tire.
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline Rod

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11095
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2017, 11:25:39 pm »
 Hi guys i have been round with shinko tires, I decided also going with Michelin Commander II  excellent choice great tire.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 12:12:45 am »
I sure hope the 190/55- 17 does better. B'kuz I just installed one on my bike...  :??:

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2017, 12:56:41 am »
Even though I had a couple of miles left in the Pirelli Sport Demons I saw a great deal on the Verge's at Jake Wilson's. $197 shipped. Worst.money.ever.spent. I've played with pressures trying for a bit more feedback. Nada. Tip in is awful. Forget having any sort of positive feel going into a corner. Christ - have to fight the bike through the corner to keep it from tipping in further. Anything more than 50 mph and you can expect to get sea sick from these tires they wander so bad.
I emailed Jake Wilson's and hoping for some help either in the form of refund or replacement.

DO NOT BUY THIS TIRE!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 01:06:42 am by mnbikeguy »

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2017, 02:17:05 am »
I sure hope the 190/55- 17 does better. B'kuz I just installed one on my bike...  :??:

Ride safe, Ted

I think the 17in is fine, it's these old 16 inchers that cause too much wandering with all the sidewall.

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2017, 12:35:08 am »
Even though I had a couple of miles left in the Pirelli Sport Demons I saw a great deal on the Verge's at Jake Wilson's. $197 shipped. Worst.money.ever.spent. I've played with pressures trying for a bit more feedback. Nada. Tip in is awful. Forget having any sort of positive feel going into a corner. Christ - have to fight the bike through the corner to keep it from tipping in further. Anything more than 50 mph and you can expect to get sea sick from these tires they wander so bad.
I emailed Jake Wilson's and hoping for some help either in the form of refund or replacement.

DO NOT BUY THIS TIRE!

A little update on my interaction with Jake Wilson. They wouldn't immediately refund or offer any help after explaining the situation with these tires. In fact the "customer service rep" told me that my only recourse was to sell them on eBay to try and recoup my cost. I of course I asked to speak to a manager who informed me my only recourse was to talk with their warranty people to see if they could get Shinko to take them back.
So much for their recommendation to "Ride safe" that plays at the end of every blurb of advertising that plays while you're on hold.
I'll report back when I hear from their warranty people. In the mean time I ordered another Pirelli Sport Demon from another distributer for the rear and will switch back. I will not be ordering from Jake Wilson again because of their recommendation to sell an unsafe tire on eBay. That's just irresponsible.

Offline jettawreck

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2017, 02:13:20 am »

Ride safe, Ted

I think the 17in is fine, it's these old 16 inchers that cause too much wandering with all the sidewall.

I think so, too. I'm having no issues with the 17" version on the Honda ST1300.
Snowmobiles, I have a bunch.
Motorcycles-I haven't had anything except dirtbikes 30 years ago, so this will be all new to me.
2005 C10 with Rifle w/s, SISF Exhaust sprocket, overflow tubes, 2 minute jet mod. (SOLD)
2004 Honda ST1300-the current mule.

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2017, 04:02:25 pm »

Ride safe, Ted

I think so, too. I'm having no issues with the 17" version on the Honda ST1300.

Exactly, I read on here that they were recommended by the heavier ST riders, that is why I purchased.

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2017, 01:49:53 am »

DO NOT BUY THIS TIRE!

A little update on my interaction with Jake Wilson. They wouldn't immediately refund or offer any help after explaining the situation with these tires. In fact the "customer service rep" told me that my only recourse was to sell them on eBay to try and recoup my cost. I of course I asked to speak to a manager who informed me my only recourse was to talk with their warranty people to see if they could get Shinko to take them back.
So much for their recommendation to "Ride safe" that plays at the end of every blurb of advertising that plays while you're on hold.
I'll report back when I hear from their warranty people. In the mean time I ordered another Pirelli Sport Demon from another distributer for the rear and will switch back. I will not be ordering from Jake Wilson again because of their recommendation to sell an unsafe tire on eBay. That's just irresponsible.

Still nothing to report from Jake Wilson and at this point I wouldn't recommend them or their affiliate Rocky Mountain ATV & MC. They clearly could care less about customer satisfaction or safety.
I did source another rear Pirelli Sport Demon and mounted it up along with the used front Sport Demon that had plenty of life left in it. Happy to report the bike is handling rock solid again.

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2017, 02:35:14 pm »

DO NOT BUY THIS TIRE!

Still nothing to report from Jake Wilson and at this point I wouldn't recommend them or their affiliate Rocky Mountain ATV & MC. They clearly could care less about customer satisfaction or safety.
I did source another rear Pirelli Sport Demon and mounted it up along with the used front Sport Demon that had plenty of life left in it. Happy to report the bike is handling rock solid again.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, if you want you can contact Western Power Sports directly, they are the distributor for Shinko in North America. Really nice people, you can explain your problem. The response I got was to double check tire pressures, and I confirmed that they were the max PSI on the sidewall. They just sent me a replacement SR777 for one that was out-of-round, so that will get installed soon here. I think in terms of the Verge 011, I will just eat the cost of that and chock it up as a lesson learned. I also think maybe a Sticky can be created to warn of Radial Shinko's on 16 inch rims.

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2017, 06:09:20 pm »
Well it looks like my avenues for refund are all closed now. Shinko refused to acknowledge a problem and Jake Wilson washed their hands of things. Correspondence was by email and cordial. They just don't want to take responsibility.  So while YMMV with Shinko and Jake Wilson, I would steer your future business away as they didn't measure up in my opinion.

Here was the email for reference:

Hey Mike,

I apologize for the delay on this I guess our contact with Shinko has been out of the office. However they did reply this morning and this was their response:

We are unable to warranty/refund the Shinko 011 Verge motorcycle tires in situation. There is no evidence of manufacture defect on these tires. If Rocky Mountain ATV’s chose to credit/refund/exchange tires for this customer they can do so on their own behalf. This appears to be customer preference and no fault of the tires. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or comments.

Unfortunately with the manufacture saying this and not being willing to provide us with credit our hands are tied and we are unable to accept your tires back for credit.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks!
Brady Jensen Ext. 1475 | Warranty Department - Rocky Mountain ATV/MC | Jake Wilson
Rocky Mountain: 1.801.465.3140 | Fax: 1.801.465.3457 | Jake Wilson - 1.800.721.8253 | Fax: 1.801.465.3457 | Address: 1551 American Way, Payson, UT 84651
Websites: www.rockymountainatvmc.com | www.jakewilson.com
bradyj@rockymountainatv.com

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2017, 01:52:05 pm »
Yeah I also can't fault them for any particular defect, other than our bikes are too heavier for this particular tire, in the 16 inch rim size. The good news is the Shinko SR777 is cheaper and a good alternative, after reinstalling that tire I got my bike's handling back. Also the tread is better suited for variable riding conditions, the Verge was essentially a racing slick along it's center line.