Author Topic: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?  (Read 190548 times)

Offline Ride&time

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11207
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Re: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?
« Reply #225 on: October 27, 2013, 08:25:52 pm »
I dismissed it because the tire guys at all the big stores start jumping up and down saying you can't mix radial and bias ply. With my car I have had them tell me they would not mount the tire. I have mounted tires myself before even car tires. So there are ways around the shop. Must have gotten 8000 miles from the Dunlop 700. It was used when I got it and I added 6000. It would be nice to get more but that seems Okay. I have had it skid prematurely in my opinion and felt it could have grabbed better breaking. I don't ride super hard so no need for the stickyest tire. Mostly though I thought you were putting me on in regards to mixing the tires. (didn't think you were serious)

Offline Zorlac

• Crotch Rocket
  • Bulletproof, eh? I'll be the judge of that!
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 6962
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #226 on: October 28, 2013, 12:40:03 am »
"the tire guys at all the big stores start jumping up and down saying you can't mix radial and bias ply."

See, there's your problem right thar, I've never seen anybody jumpin up N down when I be spoonin on da hoops of my choice.
::)
COG #6962

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 6953
« Reply #227 on: October 28, 2013, 01:51:16 am »
the tire guys at all the big stores start jumping up and down saying you can't mix radial and bias ply

Yeah, but there is more than one motorcycle manufacturer that actually sell them this way right off the show room floor. Its easy to find on the web HD's that come this way. And I have heard BMW sold them this way, but I have never been able to find that model bike. I believe it was one of the Dakar type bikes.

It could be argued that those bikes were designed this way. And the Connie is not. Colin and I were once reading a magazine article where the tire expert was describing all the changes motorcycle MFG's made to frame, steering geometry and suspension  components to bring radials to motorcycles. And I look at modern sport bikes and things like the C14 and I see these things. I would probably never put a bias ply on a C14 for example. Just too many radial choices among other things.  But on a C10 with its 1986 suspension, frame design, steering geometries, etc. AND factoring in the complete lack of choice we have its just not that bad of a choice. And many of them bias ply tires, albeit V-rated versus Z-rated radials are performing quite well.
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline danodemotoman

• Sport Tourer
  • Yo Ho, Yo HO, it's a bikers life for me!
  • COG#: 2877
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #228 on: October 28, 2013, 04:30:14 am »
 I try not to use never or always...
 Depends on the bike and frame as far as using radials on a bike not designed for it.
 My V65 Sabre not only works fine with radials but the advantage in cornering and braking was noticeble. The V65 frame is stiff enough where the V45 is reported not to be.

Offline Ride&time

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 11207
« Reply #229 on: October 28, 2013, 07:03:25 am »
Okay, I'll keep it in mind as a possibility.

Thanks

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #230 on: October 29, 2013, 04:59:42 pm »
I try not to use never or always...
 Depends on the bike and frame as far as using radials on a bike not designed for it.
 My V65 Sabre not only works fine with radials but the advantage in cornering and braking was noticeble. The V65 frame is stiff enough where the V45 is reported not to be.

I think on a bike designed for bias ply, using radials is a bike by bike deal. From things I have read, its not just frame stiffness. Its also steering geometries and suspension changes.

I think the real question here is taking a bike that originally came with radials, and going backwards and installing bias ply tires. For modern sport bikes and sport touring machines with cartridge forks and all the high end stuff, I would for sure would use nothing but radials. But take a look and many of the brand new and recent 2013 bikes that all use lower end dampening rod forks, etc. that are designed to be entry level or low cost. They still come with bias ply tires. That's part of the low cost. -- The take away for me, IMO of course, is that a C10 with its dampening rod forks, 1986 frame and steering geometry design is not that big a step backwards on a bias ply tires. And the bias ply tires have been brought up to date to some extent, with dual compounds etc. These are not 1986 bias ply tires.

2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline danodemotoman

• Sport Tourer
  • Yo Ho, Yo HO, it's a bikers life for me!
  • COG#: 2877
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #231 on: October 30, 2013, 04:18:45 am »
 Of course there are multiple issues involving tire choice.  Pointing to the frame was one.  Comparitive,  the Sabre has suspension very similar to the C10.
 Most often we have little chance of modifying those structural designs so left with 'testing' tires by the 'seat of the pants'.
 Having used a couple bias tires in the (several years) past have returned to radials as the best sport touring tire(s) for me.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 04:25:10 am by danodemotoman »

Offline DamDan

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 5420
« Reply #232 on: November 09, 2013, 11:30:44 pm »
And then, there are the original equipment Dunlop K700 & K701. Cost effective, as far as I'm concerned. And they are radials, which this bike was designed for.

Offline works4me

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10594
« Reply #233 on: November 10, 2013, 02:59:04 am »
Televisions, cell phones, digital cameras, computers,
autos, motorcycles.......I could go on but my point is
things have changed a lot in the last thirty years.
Motorcycle tires are no exception.
I fail to see the logic in sticking with dated technology.

For the record, I went through two sets of the Dunlops.
I wasn't impressed.

Offline Zorlac

• Crotch Rocket
  • Bulletproof, eh? I'll be the judge of that!
  • COG#: 6962
« Reply #234 on: November 10, 2013, 04:14:43 am »
"I fail to see the logic in sticking with dated technology."

The logic being that the currently available selection of radials for the stock rear rim are few in number.
COG #6962

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #235 on: November 10, 2013, 05:01:35 pm »
Still the idea that the C10 is "designed" for radials, just because it came with radials is a stretch in some peoples opinion given its 30 year old design. Todays bias plies are probably as good or better than 30 year old radials.
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline Douglas

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8649
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #236 on: November 10, 2013, 11:39:51 pm »
Boy, I'm worn out.  Have read this whole thread.

MY rear tire is getting close.  Front looks new.  Problem front is a radial so want a radial for the real. 
No where in this thread can I find the size for wing tires we can use on the rear.
Deadeye, readin' tar threads'll sure nuff wear ya out and usually tell ya not too much.  It's the nature of tire threads I reckon.

GL1500 "Wing Size" tars.
160/80-16 rear
130/70-18 front

EDIT TO ADD:
BTW, I hates wing size tars on a Connie.  Rides 'n' handles like a school bus.   :(

I agree. I like a 110 front tire myself. It soaks up bumps better in my opinion. I think a 100 front is as narrow as I wanna go. I have a 100 now and it's fine. I think its much better than a 130. Much smoother ride and when made by shinko it grips much better in the rain than a Metzeler me880, but then again, anything grips better than an 880...

Has anyone tried a 140 rear yet? I'd love to hear their thoughts on it.
ASE Certified mechanic.
Former CCS/WERA licensed racer #51.
"Whatever you do in life surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you" John Wooden
"Political correctness dumbs down our society because idiots come away propagating their beliefs as though they are correct" Douglas Re

Offline Douglas

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8649
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #237 on: November 11, 2013, 01:55:48 am »
I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Shinko 747's?

Can't say that I have personal experience w/ that tire but a friend has been happy w/ Shinko Raven tires.  The best thing about them was the price but in the same breath there have been problems w/ quality.

draw an X across the white wall so you can see it on film

Shinko Motorcycle Tire Background
ASE Certified mechanic.
Former CCS/WERA licensed racer #51.
"Whatever you do in life surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you" John Wooden
"Political correctness dumbs down our society because idiots come away propagating their beliefs as though they are correct" Douglas Re

Offline Kurt_Lammon_TN

• Tricycle
    • Plastic Repair Products
  • COG#: 9014
« Reply #238 on: December 02, 2013, 10:06:28 pm »
When I bought my '02 in 2009, it had Dunlops. The tires were a bit worn but plenty of tread, so I kept riding them. The headshake on deceleration was kind of scary. If you took your hands off the bars and let it coast, the head would start shaking really badly. (I know, I know... its better to have your hands on the bars!)

I thought it was a problem with the bike. Finally I got a nail in the back tire and decided to go with new Avons front and back. What a difference!! No more headshake. Super smooth. I don't go to the cornering limits and I've had no traction problems in dry or wet.

Regarding the shorter tread life of the Avons, I'd rather buy an extra set of tires over a five year span if they work this well. My vote is with the Avons!
Kurt Lammon  Chattanooga, TN  2001 Kawasaki Concours (current)  1979 KZ650, 1982 Honda XR200 (long-gone)  http://www.urethanesupply.com

Offline dld

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #239 on: January 02, 2014, 02:16:16 pm »
I just changed from worn out OEM style Dunlops to Avon Storm/Azaro yesterday, only have about 40 miles on them and can already say that the improvement in handling is substantial. Much, much smoother entering corners, and feels very stable in corners. I can't wait for a little warmer weather and a good ride on some twisty roads!

DLD
DLD
1998 Kawasaki Concours
1979 Yamaha XS650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1969 Datsun Roadster
1994 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible x 2
1990 Nemisis A Modified Autocross car designed and built by me, Kawasaki KZ1300 power

Offline dld

• Bicycle
« Reply #240 on: January 24, 2014, 07:00:07 pm »
Update to the post above;

I've had them on a few weeks now, and I can say that these tires are AWESOME! When you consider the size and weight of the Connie, and the handling with these tires, it's just amazing. Confidence inspiring!

DLD
DLD
1998 Kawasaki Concours
1979 Yamaha XS650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1969 Datsun Roadster
1990 Nemisis A Modified Autocross car designed and built by me, Kawasaki KZ1300 power

Offline DamDan

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 5420
« Reply #241 on: January 24, 2014, 07:04:33 pm »
Thanks for the input on your Avons. Keep us updated on any "issues".

Offline DanPaul

• Bicycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #242 on: April 29, 2014, 05:50:19 pm »
So i have read through a lot of the posts, can i get things simplified in one post? i see different sizes, mentions of the book being off stating a 3 1/2" inch front rim and its really 3" .

I think it would help me with my simple mind to see somthing along the lines of

Option 1 this size, this brand = best
Option 2 this size, this brand = Good, not as nice when wet
Option 3 This size but no matching front and rear available, ... all round good.

or somthing like that so i can compare based on someones opinion what choices are available.

My guy who i order tires with found the Dunlop 700/701 but not the BT045, only a BT020. will that work?
Appreciate any input given

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #243 on: April 29, 2014, 06:06:31 pm »
OK Dan, I'll venture in...
In stock Connie sizes:
Avons... Azaro rear Storm (whichever suits you) front.  Excellent handling wet or dry.  Best all around tire for the Concours 1000.  Wears a bit faster than some others.

Pirelli Sport Demons.  A non-radial choice here that is cheaper than most options.  Excellent dry traction, good wet.  Soft compound with good tread design.  A little more likely to follow rain grooves than the Avon Azaro/Storm combo.  A good all round tire particularly for folks who don't ride more than 5000 miles per year. (too long of lasting tires will put you riding on old rubber which is not ever good)

I put any and every other stock sized option well below these two.  I value traction enough to avoid any tires which offer (or I suspect may offer) less traction than these.  While I have tried a few others, most of those are no longer in production.  The Bridgestone is probably a good tire that I have experience with, but not on COnnie.  THe Shinkos I cannot speak to as I haven't run them either.  The Marathon 880's are evil IMHO (yeah, experience on these).  Michelin has no offering... yet.  Dunlops are not very good in my experience on COnnie, but I have only tried MOST of them.  I did like the RoadSmart tires on my 17" rims.  Best offering from Dunlop ever IMHO but not in stock sizing.  Too bad.

Hope that helps.  A topic always bound to create more heat than light.  ;)
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline dld

• Bicycle
« Reply #244 on: April 30, 2014, 04:13:26 am »
My last posted update on the Azaro/Storm combo was January 24th. Here it is the end of April, and having three more months of riding on them, I am still thrilled with the performance, both wet and dry. I'm constantly finding myself leaning into a turn until something scrapes, or my toes are dragging, and the tires just feel solid. When these are gone they will definitely be replaced with the same. They may not be the mileage kings, but I like the twisties, and these tires are perfect for that!
DLD
1998 Kawasaki Concours
1979 Yamaha XS650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1969 Datsun Roadster

Offline 2linby

• Iron Butt
  • I rode today, did you?
  • COG#: 5539
« Reply #245 on: April 30, 2014, 04:32:05 am »
Black and round. By far the best tires for the Connie!  ;)
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by" "Everything is simple, but nothing is easy".
Ex NWAD, AAD, COG #5539, IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor, Mentor 2001 Sonic Blue  166K and counting!
http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BBG)
http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip

Offline Boomer

• Crotch Rocket
  • Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #246 on: April 30, 2014, 09:46:48 am »
Have been running a PR3 front (110/80-18) and Azaro AV46 rear for 2 months 5,000 miles and love this combo.
Can't wait for the Storm 3D X-M to come out in 150/80-ZR16 next month!!
May even try a matched pair of 3D X-Ms when mine wear out.
If I do that will be the first time I have had a matched pair of tyres on a C10 since the early Noughties.
I think they were Michelin Macadam 90Xs.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK
CDA-007

Offline DanPaul

• Bicycle
« Reply #247 on: April 30, 2014, 10:37:51 am »
so i see some are 110/80/18 and some are 120/70/18, thats part of what confuses me i guess ,.... whats the big change? one fit better then the other?

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #248 on: April 30, 2014, 10:57:22 am »
Run the 110 / 80 - 18. it's speced for the 3" rim, the 120 series fits a 3.5". Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline DanPaul

• Bicycle
« Reply #249 on: April 30, 2014, 12:37:49 pm »
thanks, that helps :) i like cut dry awnsers.