Author Topic: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?  (Read 190561 times)

Offline nic1965

• Tricycle
  • NewConnie
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11862
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?
« Reply #325 on: March 10, 2015, 08:32:30 pm »
Canads Motorcycle sent the tires right away.
Date codes are from Aug 2014, for both.

Offline dan4aspen

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #326 on: March 11, 2015, 04:13:04 pm »
I just purchased a set of Pirelli Sport Demons from Motorcycle Superstore for $212 and change for both front and rear this morning.  When you see the prices in cart, when you check out, use code on main page, and you get an extra 5% off when you pay, giving you the 212 and change price, with free shipping.  Chaparall Motorsports has the Avon Storm 3D XN's for $246.76 for both.  Almost bought those, until I read about ball bearing feel on highway posted a few days ago.
BURN RUBBER, NOT YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!

Offline VenturaHwy

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #327 on: March 19, 2015, 03:33:30 pm »
Hi Y'all

I was looking online at tires today and notice that the "Michelin Pilot GT" is listed any more, and the replacement GT line doesn't list a 16" rear tire. So what's a fellow going to do? I'm not a Dunlop fan! I'm open for suggestions from the group.

Offline RodWpg

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #328 on: March 19, 2015, 03:36:16 pm »
michelin pilot road 3 front 110/80zr18.....michelin commander II cruiser rear tire
2003 concours winnipeg manitoba canada

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #329 on: March 19, 2015, 08:23:11 pm »
Just got in a new 3D XM Avon for the back of my 06 bike to go with the Storm 2 Ultra on front.  Both are stock 110/80-18 and 150/80-16 sizes.  This will be my first try with the new XM.  I have a little less confidence in this tire going in than in the old Azaro.  WE'll see how I like it soon enough.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline nic1965

• Tricycle
  • NewConnie
  • COG#: 11862
« Reply #330 on: March 21, 2015, 04:05:15 am »
michelin pilot road 3 front 110/80zr18.....michelin commander II cruiser rear tire
So yeah, I just had the same set installed on my '86. I'm sure the front tire will be perfect. Just hoping the rear was a good choice. What is your opinion of it, so far ?

Offline Zorlac

• Crotch Rocket
  • Bulletproof, eh? I'll be the judge of that!
  • COG#: 6962
« Reply #331 on: March 21, 2015, 05:18:46 am »
I've had a Michelin commander II on the rear for awhile now and it's hands down the best commuter tire I've tried since the pilot GT's went away.
COG #6962

Offline RodWpg

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #332 on: March 21, 2015, 11:19:42 am »
So yeah, I just had the same set installed on my '86. I'm sure the front tire will be perfect. Just hoping the rear was a good choice. What is your opinion of it, so far ?

I don't have these tires....yet....I was just replying to the post above mine who was asking what michelins he could buy. Someone said they weren't happy at all with their performance on wet. After watching Rick's videos travelling across the country on them twice and slogging thru alaska mud and still buying another pair when he replaced them I gotta think if they are good for him they would be good for me.....I dunno :/

Offline Cannothas

• Resurrected wrecked 1992 C10
  • Tricycle
  • New C10 Owner
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #333 on: March 30, 2015, 04:20:08 pm »

I have run two sets of the AM 26 Roadriders from MSS with no issues. Those must have been in the warehouse for quite a while.

Turned out the date-code was from December of 2012, I purchased it in August 2014.
I went to AmericanMotoTire.com and got a Storm 3D XM for $143 to replace it and I'll fight with Avon for the warranty on the Roadrider. (I'll post the results of the warranty in my other thread where I asked about the Cobra AV72)
It's Finally Ride-able!!!
Repaired: Fairing, Replaced bent forks,  Reassembled a mass of misc. stuff, Rinsed Fuel Tank, Removed Vacuum Lines & Reed Valves, Fuel Sending Unit, Speedo Cable, Tires
Mods: Convert Stock Petcock to manual, Chop rear fender, Chop stock windshield, 180-mount fuel sending unit, mounted coolant overflow behind battery.
Remaining: Right saddle bag mount, Misc. small fries

Offline Mike

• Bicycle
« Reply #334 on: March 31, 2015, 07:05:34 pm »
Just took off an azarro rear radial, around 13000 miles, it was spent, probably should have replaced it at 10,000 miles, guess I was used to wing size bias Metzlers. Replaced it with the new style/compound Storm ultraX 3-D, only put 100 miles on it in the last week, will know more next year, supposed to be the best thing since sliced toast. $144.00 to my front door.
Any report on the Storm ultraX 3-D
Did you use the front or rear?

Offline Rebel Longhorn

• Late Starter Trying to Catch Up
  • Tricycle
  • Dream: Ride Route 66 (IL to CA) before turning 75
  • COG#: 11902
« Reply #335 on: April 01, 2015, 03:35:12 am »
After reading all (many) of the posts, the tire issue seems incredibly complex.  I just obtained through a trade a 2001 C10 and the tires are Michelin Commander II (130-70-18 front, 150-80-16 rear) 5/32 front and 8/32 rear manufactured in December of 2013.  I am a novice rider, not overly aggressive and keep speeds at or below 70.  Are the 130s on the front too oversized?  My mileage will be less than 5,000 per year, so I may hit an age limit before I hit the wear out mileage limit.  Is 4 years about the maximum age I should let the tires go before replacement?  I know that 1/32 is the recommended limit, but Louisiana gets lots of rain and roads are not the best.  Should I change out at maybe a more conservative 3/32?  Is it best to change both tires at the same time with like model tires?  In relative terms, the tires are one of the least expensive operating costs for the bike.  ($0.01 / mile)
Just Riding to Enjoy the Open Air.  Started riding late (66), so will always be the novice in the crowd.

Offline Zorlac

• Crotch Rocket
  • Bulletproof, eh? I'll be the judge of that!
  • COG#: 6962
« Reply #336 on: April 01, 2015, 04:57:12 am »
Are the 130s on the front too oversized? (I think they would be)  Is 4 years about the maximum age I should let the tires go before replacement? (Some would if they seem hard & less grippy)  I know that 1/32 is the recommended limit, but Louisiana gets lots of rain and roads are not the best.  Should I change out at maybe a more conservative 3/32? (If it feels squirrelly when it's wet probably)  Is it best to change both tires at the same time with like model tires? (I don't, I mix & match change em when they're done)
COG #6962

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 6953
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #337 on: April 01, 2015, 05:20:51 pm »
A 130/70-18 is the stock size tire for a GL1500 and often referred to as "Wing" size on the forum. The 130/70 in a bias ply tire ( which GL1500 and most Cruiser tires in that size ) will fit on a 3.0" rim which the Connie has on a 94-06 model. Its too big for the older 86-93 front wheels. These tires will steer slower, requiring more handle bar input to get them to turn. On the other hand they tend to be much more stable, tracking straighter and wandering less over tar snakes and grooves. They also get way better mileage. Like many tires traction varies depending on MFG / Model. Some models have plenty good traction for non-aggressive riders, great mileage and nice stable ride. They can be a good choice for some.

In the car world, I believe 6 years is the limit. I don't think any of the tire shops around here will even rotate tires, they won't touch them period past 6 years. For M/C's I might be more conservative. Do you know how to read the date code on tires?

Opposed to the 1/32, 2/32 thing I would run them to the wear bars. Maybe change slightly early of the wear bars. For the wet weather I try to not run past the wear bars. I would change them according to the wear bars and/or age which ever comes first.

I too mix and match tires. If we have the luxury of tons of tire choices for the C10 I would stick with matched sets. But since we have so little choices in that regard, I have mixed MFG's, AND mix bias and radials with the taboo Radial Front, Bias Rear.  -- I currently have PR3 front, 777 Rear combination.

At 15K front, 10K rear typical mileage I tend to change them independently.
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline Mike

• Bicycle
« Reply #338 on: April 01, 2015, 05:50:25 pm »
A 130/70-18 is the stock size tire for a GL1500 and often referred to as "Wing" size on the forum. The 130/70 in a bias ply tire ( which GL1500 and most Cruiser tires in that size ) will fit on a 3.0" rim which the Connie has on a 94-06 model. Its too big for the older 86-93 front wheels. These tires will steer slower, requiring more handle bar input to get them to turn. On the other hand they tend to be much more stable, tracking straighter and wandering less over tar snakes and grooves. They also get way better mileage. Like many tires traction varies depending on MFG / Model. Some models have plenty good traction for non-aggressive riders, great mileage and nice stable ride. They can be a good choice for some.

In the car world, I believe 6 years is the limit. I don't think any of the tire shops around here will even rotate tires, they won't touch them period past 6 years. For M/C's I might be more conservative. Do you know how to read the date code on tires?

Opposed to the 1/32, 2/32 thing I would run them to the wear bars. Maybe change slightly early of the wear bars. For the wet weather I try to not run past the wear bars. I would change them according to the wear bars and/or age which ever comes first.

I too mix and match tires. If we have the luxury of tons of tire choices for the C10 I would stick with matched sets. But since we have so little choices in that regard, I have mixed MFG's, AND mix bias and radials with the taboo Radial Front, Bias Rear.  -- I currently have PR3 front, 777 Rear combination.

At 15K front, 10K rear typical mileage I tend to change them independently.
Slybones, perfectly said.

Offline Crashcup

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 8820
« Reply #339 on: April 08, 2015, 05:40:23 pm »
I was happy to see this info gathered into one thread... my 2005 needs tires, and all the info here has been helpful for me to catch up on the latest recommendations.

I did read someone asking about "geeking this out" (or something to that effect). That kind of describes me. Whether I'm looking for tires, a GPS unit, or a tablesaw, I typically do a lot of research and try to gather together all that info in one place for easy comparison. Usually that means an Excel spreadsheet.

Attached is my updated tire comparison workbook, FWIW. It's far from complete. But if anyone finds this useful and wants to pick this up to add more info, I'd be happy to answer questions or help out. I just can't see having enough time to continually maintain it.

Thanks again, COG and COGgers for pushing me in the right direction!  (BTW, just ordered the Avon Storm 3D X-Ms in the stock C10 sizes.)
2005 Concours - "Vanessa"  COG#8820  AMA#1101956

Offline RodWpg

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #340 on: April 08, 2015, 06:38:28 pm »
can't view that without 'office'

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #341 on: April 08, 2015, 07:09:01 pm »
can't view that without 'office'

Here ya go.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline ACISROC

• Coordinator for the" Help A Cogger Out" thread.
  • Iron Butt
  • Red C-10 called Diablo
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11845
« Reply #342 on: April 08, 2015, 08:21:45 pm »
Thanks, I will take two Pirelli sport demons, After I wear these out in 4 years!
There are "Bold Riders" and their are "Old Riders" but their are very few "OLD BOLD RIDERS"
 2003 C-10, C.O.G.Member#11845, A.T.G.A.T.T.
SW Chapter "Bold Riders" Retired Scout 12%er

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #343 on: April 08, 2015, 09:57:32 pm »
Noted the price comparo. Cool. Thanx.

I've done business with Rocky Mountain ATV before, no issues. I intend to order up a new 777 plus a tire or two for the KLR from them, soon.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline VisionDonNebr

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11206
« Reply #344 on: April 09, 2015, 12:28:01 pm »
I see the Avon 3D X-M is in the 120/70ZR18, seems like we pretty much figured out that is just a bit oversized?  Same as the original Dunlap's?  Otherwise were I to buy tires today I could go with Rocky Mountain Avon front, 777 rear......seems like we had a post on this before......??  Of course that is assuming Rocky Mt is free shipping on an over $100.00 order, they all seem to be that way.

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #345 on: April 09, 2015, 02:48:48 pm »
I see the Avon 3D X-M is in the 120/70ZR18, seems like we pretty much figured out that is just a bit oversized?  Same as the original Dunlap's?  Otherwise were I to buy tires today I could go with Rocky Mountain Avon front, 777 rear......seems like we had a post on this before......??  Of course that is assuming Rocky Mt is free shipping on an over $100.00 order, they all seem to be that way.

Here's the Storm 3D XM in the 110/80-18 size.
http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33_61_1079&products_id=6594
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Mike

• Bicycle
« Reply #346 on: April 10, 2015, 02:08:28 pm »
Just got in a new 3D XM Avon for the back ( how's that back tire doing ) of my 06 bike to go with the Storm 2 Ultra on front.  Both are stock 110/80-18 and 150/80-16 sizes.  This will be my first try with the new XM.  I have a little less confidence in this tire going in than in the old Azaro.  WE'll see how I like it soon enough.

Offline Bob

• Mini Bike
« Reply #347 on: April 12, 2015, 02:32:03 am »
After reading every page of this over the last week or two I just installed a Shinko 777 on the rear of my '86 today.  It was $88.49 shipped from Revzilla and arrived in 3 days.  This is the first non Dunlop this particular Connie has had.  Between the cost and the being worn out in 5k miles I just couldn't do another stock Dunlop. 

Thanks for everyone sharing their experiences here.  I'm looking forward to getting 1500 miles on my new 'economy' tire next weekend in NW AR.
1986 ZG1000A1
IBA62582

Offline Mike

• Bicycle
« Reply #348 on: April 12, 2015, 03:28:42 am »
Well, i think I'm done. Two sets of Avon 3D X-M stock sizes left me with a unsettling ride above 50. I decided to try one last thing since Avon's specs showed the 120 70ZR 18 fit a 3 1/2" rim, I got a 110 80ZR 18 for a 3" rim (which we have) and tried it with an old E3 bias ply on the rear. The speedo was 1.5% slow but seemed pretty steady last nite.
Today, I put the  150 80ZR 16 on the rear and rode it this evening. Everything seems OK with easier turn ins, but not as stable as E3 or Venom bias plys.
So Avon has a matched set of radials 110 80ZR 18 front and 120 70ZR 18 rear that will work.
If you want a long lasting (15k mile) tire that steers and rides like a truck and really stable, get the Dunlop ELITE 3 (not DUNLOP AMERICAN ELITE, it's not the same) in Goldwing sizes DUNLOP ELITE 3 130/70B-18 M/C 63H, FRONT  and DUNLOP ELITE 3 160/80B-16 M/C 80H, REAR (MULTI TREAD)
This took over two months and 70 emails to find the problem. Avon has not admitted a size problem. A forum monitor pointed it out to the the factory rep months ago. They knew but never suggested the cure for 'riding on marbles'.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #349 on: April 12, 2015, 12:45:07 pm »
There's an article on the Avons in the current (May) issue of Rider magazine.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing