Author Topic: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?  (Read 148766 times)

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?
« Reply #575 on: January 16, 2018, 03:47:16 pm »
I put the weight in "Old Fashioned" so you would understand...its 78 Kg over here...we went Metric in 1971 after all   ;D
Can't do the old pound and ounces nonsense any more, 13.45 lbs to the Franble,  76 ozs to pint etc....whats wrong with mm and kilos?
And don't even start about inches, all that 43/63 makes an inch, 3 inch to a flooter, 78/27 of a yard...what a load of nonsense...no wonder you built the Hubble telescope wrong size, all them conversions are easy to get wrong   :D

Ya did good jacksdad.
I was beginning to think you'd miss the opportunity to ping us Colonists...

Yea, we tried the Metric system in 71.
Everyone hated it so we went back.
But now,,,, our system and the metric are mixed together on many thing's.
Which is probably the real reason for the problem on the Hubble.
  Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  !!    >:(

Ride safe, Ted

14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline jacksdad

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #576 on: January 16, 2018, 07:19:25 pm »
Just why do you stay with the ancient Imperial system? The rest of the planet is now using Metric, it must cause problems with everyday stuff, having to convert everything? Mind you, we do still buy beer in pints, and have Miles per hour. I'm just about getting to grips with buying fuel in litres, but still work out usage in miles per gallon!  ;D

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #577 on: January 16, 2018, 07:24:41 pm »
I guess we're just set in our ways.
Some folks would be ok to convert, but the majority is used to the system and see no reason to change.

Plus the costs to change over is staggering.
         (think about it)
   Everything from gas pumps to packaging etc, would have to be changed in some manner.

Ride safe, Ted

14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #578 on: January 16, 2018, 08:07:19 pm »
So, are the gallons you use 128 ounces? Then, there's the whole liquid vs dry measure arguments (ask a cook). If we start this, the next thing you know we're arguing about which side of the road to drive on, which way a racetrack is to be driven, and how wide railroad rails are supposed be. A slippery slope, I say. Slippery. 
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline jacksdad

• Training Wheels
« Reply #579 on: January 16, 2018, 09:18:19 pm »
No! A Gallon is 160 Fl Oz. (I had to Google the answer) You even have a different measurement for "1 Gallon"  :-[
Then there's the standard US measurement of "A Cup"...what is 1 Cup, in metric? Oh wait, there isn't  "A Cup" volume is there, it depends what you are weighing!  :rotflmao:
Isn't it time that you caught up with the modern world?

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #580 on: January 16, 2018, 10:43:53 pm »
32 oz. to a quart. 4 quarts to a U.S. Gallon. Maybe that's why our gas mileage is so bad....Then there is the hectare, the rod, the league, the nautical mile, the mile, the ton, the metric ton. Yada, yada. 

Cup, smup. Let's not even talk about units of money. So, just be reasonable. Do it our  way.... :truce:

:))
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
« Reply #581 on: April 30, 2018, 02:46:44 pm »
Update on the Dunlop E4 in Goldwing size for the front, gotta get ready for a trip coming soon new tire arrives this week and yes going with the same tire Dunlop E4 Radial in 130/70R18. This has been a great tire all around and lasted very well, the center still looks good and not into the wear indicators yet, the sides are about halfway into the indicators but still look good and working well in the dry, it seems to have lost a little stickiness in the wet on a bridge I went over a couple weeks ago while it was raining. I was leaning at just the right angle to have the least amount of tread and it was loose so leaned a touch more and it was fine. Anyway have 28,300 mile on it now and will get a couple hundred more before the weekend so gotta say this has been a great tire and lasts!!

Offline Bushy

• Tricycle
« Reply #582 on: May 02, 2018, 12:06:41 am »
Thanks for the update Warwgn, I was considering the wing sizes last year when I purchased the Shinko verge and 777 combo.
But with the bike being new to me I wanted to stick with what the bike “should” have.
I have been happy with the combo but find I am probably not using all the grip available. I will probably only get 8000 miles on these so your 28k sounds amazing.
How is the car tire holding up on the rear?
John
2002 C10
Ontario, Canada

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
« Reply #583 on: May 02, 2018, 02:03:14 pm »
got out the dial caliper last night since the new front came in and the new E4 had .160 tread depth to the top of the center wear indicator and the old has .030, so I would bet this tire would go well over 30K miles. (with how I ride and am set up)

The rear car tire still has tons of tread left, I did not put the gage on it but lots of tire left before it hit wear indicators.

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
« Reply #584 on: May 05, 2018, 05:42:37 pm »
seems I have a correction, the E4 on the front is bias ply but it will be replaced by a radial. Hope it holds up just as long.

Offline the doc

• Big Wheels
« Reply #585 on: May 07, 2018, 08:35:29 pm »
I am going with the factory specked Dunlop.. the K701 and K700, I have seen an Avon ripped apart at my mechanics shop.
He won't even mount them if I bought some. Glad you all had good luck with them.. !!  Mine are both radials and I hear they were specifically made for the bike. I will try to update you later on them, as I have not been a Dunlop fan at all.. just going with it one time..and see for myself.. I haerd stories on Laps are crap way back in the day.

Offline Lee

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12558
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #586 on: May 07, 2018, 09:51:54 pm »
Asking what tires are best is like asking who's the prettiest girl.  You'll get folks asking why you think that even matters in the choice :)

Marisa Tomei, Hopefully no one really cares why it matters. But believe she is an expert on tires and posi traction!

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
« Reply #587 on: May 07, 2018, 10:09:41 pm »
 :))  Yes she is!

Offline works4me

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10594
« Reply #588 on: May 08, 2018, 01:30:09 am »
I am going with the factory specked Dunlop.. the K701 and K700, I have seen an Avon ripped apart at my mechanics shop.
He won't even mount them if I bought some. Glad you all had good luck with them.. !!  Mine are both radials and I hear they were specifically made for the bike. I will try to update you later on them, as I have not been a Dunlop fan at all.. just going with it one time..and see for myself.. I haerd stories on Laps are crap way back in the day.

Those Dunlop’s were the cat’s meow, in 1986.
Now...not so much.

Offline Zorlac

• Crotch Rocket
  • Bulletproof, eh? I'll be the judge of that!
  • COG#: 6962
« Reply #589 on: May 09, 2018, 02:04:38 am »
Keep the front at 42psi to try and limit the amount of cupping/scalloping of the tread. That Dunlop tar cups really bad at the specified pressure.
Good luck with those Dunlops.
COG #6962

Offline the doc

• Big Wheels
« Reply #590 on: May 23, 2018, 11:14:10 pm »
Thanks guys, for the tips and thoughts on the Dunlaops, they seem to grip nicely, I think the only thing I heard was they wear out fast. Course a sticky tire would have those tendencies right? Anyway they seem comfortable and thanks, on the tip on pressure, cuz the Sportmax that were on it had tread but dry-rotted (in the seam area) and the front did have cupping.. thanks again and happy and safe trails to all! :)

Offline Rastus

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 12520
« Reply #591 on: July 03, 2018, 02:23:33 am »
I put on a set of Avon Storms about 8000 miles ago. I was impressed with their 15,000 mile wear-out warranty. From the beginning these tires have felt pretty sticky in the corners, but straight-line stability is definitely lacking. Any type of pavement irregularity like rain grooves, textured pavement, road cracks that have been tarred, and the like bring on the wobble. Triple digit wobbles are no fun! The back tire is squared off a bit, which I believe is partly from avoiding the superslab at all costs and spending most of my riding time in the twisties. Might have to take Robert Rainey's advice and get out my wood rasp.

03 C10
78 Z1-R
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 10:24:32 am by Rastus, Reason: clarification »

Offline cra-z1000

• Crotch Rocket
  • Keeping it upright..
  • COG#: 9790
« Reply #592 on: July 04, 2018, 01:24:45 pm »
I put on a set of Avon Storms about 8000 miles ago. I was impressed with their 15,000 mile wear-out warranty. From the beginning these tires have felt pretty sticky in the corners, but straight-line stability is definitely lacking. Any type of pavement irregularity like rain grooves, textured pavement, road cracks that have been tarred, and the like bring on the wobble. Triple digit wobbles are no fun! The back tire is squared off a bit, which I believe is partly from avoiding the superslab at all costs and spending most of my riding time in the twisties. Might have to take Robert Rainey's and get out my wood rasp.

Had this issue also , reduced pressure to 36lbs front and 38 rear and its alot better .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four