Author Topic: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?  (Read 193373 times)

Offline dysldu

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 7494
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?
« Reply #600 on: August 01, 2019, 06:44:00 pm »
Connie needs new shoes so I read through this thread (a herculean effort) and decided on a Shinko 777 for the rear.  Someone pages back recommended a Bridgestone BT-023 110-80/18 for the front.  But I can't find that anywhere online from a US source.

Others are recommending a Shinko Verge for the front but it seems to be only available in 120-70-18.

I can get a Bridgestone BT 45 in 110-80-18.

The Verge is a radial, the BT 45 is bias.

The Shinko rear is a bias.

So my considerations are 120-70-18 vs 110-80-18, and matching radial front with bias rear vs bias front and rear.

I'm looking for the best combination of handling, grip (wet and dry), and economy.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into an FJR !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #601 on: August 01, 2019, 11:14:48 pm »
Avon AM-26's.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline works4me

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10594
« Reply #602 on: August 01, 2019, 11:48:40 pm »
The BT-023 was  great tire. It had been replaced by the T-30 which is now the T31.
Still a great tire in my opinion.
Good handling, feedback,and longevity at a low price point.

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12983
« Reply #603 on: August 04, 2019, 12:25:55 pm »
I have Bridgestone Exedra Max 120/70ZR18 on the front, so that size will fit. The 110-80-18 is perhaps easier to install onto the rim and maybe has better fuel economy (but that size is not always available as you are finding out).
1988 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 - Ninja Edition
Bike has the usual accessories and modifications

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #604 on: August 04, 2019, 09:49:32 pm »
I would have no issue myself, if I desired a "single purchase point/common tire mfg" combo of these..

http://tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/Bridgestone/Bridgestone%20MC/bridgestone_battlax_bt023.htm

http://tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/Bridgestone/Bridgestone%20MC/exedra_max.htm

I don't particularly care for B'Stones, as I am riding a C14... but always loved Michelin's and Avons, on my C10's.

in my mind, the best C10 tires were the older Michelin Macadam's.. un believable tires... no longer made in "our sizes".
these are off shoots of that design.
Rear
http://tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/Michelin/Michelin%20Commander%20II.htm
front
http://tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/Michelin/Michelin_Pilot_Activ.htm
 and both suitable for older Connies, prior to the front end changes..

and I still don't rule these out, for general usage...
http://tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/AVON/AVON%20MC/avon_venom.htm

finding a GREAT aggressive tire for my '78 KZ1000LtdB2, is still killing me... I have some Dunflop 491's, that I try to burn off... but they have about as much wet traction as 2 bricks being slid against each other... wet bricks at that...

still a lot of tire available for the C10, just forget about the radial aspect, and buy a good tire, (ie.e. a bias ply if desired... hell, people put stupid "car tire" on this bike, and don't even think about the rating...all they care about is how many miles they get..) with an acceptable speed rating, based on your riding... You will never see 150MPH on the bike, so buy tires rated for riding... as they are rated like 2x higher just on general saftey principal... i.e., you can go 200mph on an H rated tire, and it won't blow out... ya don't need Z rated tires.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 10:46:16 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #605 on: August 05, 2019, 02:02:07 pm »
I am running the Michelin Commander II rear and Pilot Activ front combination. I just got back from a 3700mi ride to the Black Hills and back through central Wyoming. The tires now have 5k miles on them and they could do the trip again. We did I-90 to Deadwood and mostly backroads the rest of the trip. These tires work great and I would buy them again but I have collected everything to change over to 17" wheels. I am going to put a set on my 84' Sabre 700 real soon though.
1994 Kawasaki ZG1000A-The Long Rider
1984 Honda VF700S Sabre-The Bike
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S The Hooligan Bike
1974 Honda CB550 K0

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #606 on: August 05, 2019, 02:46:53 pm »
I prefer radials as I feel they turn in more quickly, with less effort.
Soooo, just to be different;   >:D
    {instead of a 120/70R-18} I installed a 110/80R-18 Metzler Roadtec Z8 Interact on the front of my C-10.. {$115.85}
https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/metzeler-roadtec-z8-interact-motorcycle-tire/p/30568

{instead of a 150/80R-16} I installed a 180/60R-16 {Shinko Journey} on the rear of my C-10. {$131.85}
             Yes, it took some effort, but it fits fine...
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shinko-se890-journey-touring-radial-tires

So far I like the combination, but the resultant tire profile's make the bike go into a turn "very" quickly! <evil grin>
If ya like playing in the twisties on yer C-10, "thinkaboutit"...   :motonoises:

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 05:58:28 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
« Reply #607 on: August 07, 2019, 05:32:46 pm »
Ahh, as much as I hate change, I'm disappointed to see things haven't changed on this forum.  The previous comment, "hell, people put stupid "car tire" on this bike, and don't even think about the rating...all they care about is how many miles they get" was the final reminder why I haven't frequented this site in the last year and a half.

If I remember correctly, a couple of years ago, someone was unselfish enough to provide detailed info for anyone interested in going to the "dark side" with a car/taxi tire.  And, they provided this info without any derogatory remarks for those who didn't agree with this approach.  I'm sure the folks who put a lot of miles on their motorcycles surely appreciated the input whether they followed this path or not.

It's a shame some folks can't respect everyone's right to explore new things and/or just have fun when it doesn't impact them personally.  Sure, voice your opinion, dialog is good, but keep it respectful of other peoples feeling.  For me, I'm out of here.  I'm older now and I'm only going to live once, so I sure don't need these negative vibes.  I'm certainly going to miss communicating with the rank and file, but I've had enough of the elite few who spoil the fun.

Ride safe and have fun.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 06:16:53 pm by Jim »

Offline bajasam

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #608 on: August 07, 2019, 07:39:49 pm »
While it's always nice to be sensitive to other persons feelings, it would be extremely hard for me to keep a straight face and proclaim that it's a wonderful idea to take a performance motorcycle capable of 130mph and put a square tread antique car tire on it.I'm sure if a shop did this for someone they could probably get sued for malpractice. This is kinda like a toss-up between humorous and insensitive.

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #609 on: August 07, 2019, 08:13:05 pm »
I'm certainly going to miss communicating with the rank and file, but I've had enough of the elite few who spoil the fun.

Jim, don't cut yourself out of the fun.
If you don't like a discussion, simply go to another that is enjoyable to you.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 11:09:13 pm by connie_rider »

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #610 on: August 08, 2019, 12:18:29 am »
I just got an e-mail, from some person that doe not know me, saying pretty much"thank you for all the good advice you have given..."
 and told me to disregard the insults..

phehhh.. I don't find it an insult someone gleaned a "personal opinion/quip" I made, out of context, and turned it into a silly "crying session".. frankly, I stand behind my findings about car tires on Concours bikes.. I HAVE ridden 2 of them with the Taxi tires, and found the handling, re-activity, and safe feeling, a reason WHY i joke about it.. if someone wants to pop up, and dis me over what I said, well... if you ain't done it/ experienced it/paid for it.. you have zero to say. I personally can't tell someone to do it.. even those that have "done it" will admit... "it takes time to get used to the handling".. That in itself, should speak volumes.

Now, while the person eamed to go back in time, and find the "recommendation", they clearly didn't read the input that was given be me then, as Tech Editor, nor did they read the same thing the following tech editor Fred Harmon wrote.. non of us would ever "suggest" this swap to anyone.. if you want to stick some odd stuff on your bike, have at it.. tell us how it works out. But never say "hey everyone.. do this....."

sorry for the rant, i was only speaking from actual personal experience, and the outcome.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #611 on: August 08, 2019, 02:35:30 pm »
Ahh, as much as I hate change, I'm disappointed to see things haven't changed on this forum.  The previous comment, "hell, people put stupid "car tire" on this bike, and don't even think about the rating...all they care about is how many miles they get" was the final reminder why I haven't frequented this site in the last year and a half.

If I remember correctly, a couple of years ago, someone was unselfish enough to provide detailed info for anyone interested in going to the "dark side" with a car/taxi tire.  And, they provided this info without any derogatory remarks for those who didn't agree with this approach.  I'm sure the folks who put a lot of miles on their motorcycles surely appreciated the input whether they followed this path or not.

It's a shame some folks can't respect everyone's right to explore new things and/or just have fun when it doesn't impact them personally.  Sure, voice your opinion, dialog is good, but keep it respectful of other peoples feeling.  For me, I'm out of here.  I'm older now and I'm only going to live once, so I sure don't need these negative vibes.  I'm certainly going to miss communicating with the rank and file, but I've had enough of the elite few who spoil the fun.

Ride safe and have fun.
exactly why i wont be a paid member, as long as this behavior is tolerated, i wont support it either. It does NOT fly on my discussion board , at all. (yes, i own a 2 stroke forum) with a LOT of legacy. I see a LOT of nontraditional stuff done, but nobody gets flogged for it. if they do, ban-hammer time, regardless of how technically adept they are. Interestingly, all the people that have been in the business for 40+ years and such, (land speed holders, manufacturers, pro engine and race bike builders) don't leave and they, as true professionals, don't act that way either.  That's actually WHY  they stay in that community.  .02.

Offline works4me

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10594
« Reply #612 on: August 08, 2019, 05:14:03 pm »
I haven’t heard this much whining since daycare.

Let it go.

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #613 on: August 08, 2019, 05:43:35 pm »
For what it's worth, (at the recent COG National) the Michelin Motorcycle Tire Representative gave us his input about car tires on a motorcycle.
He said: DO NOT DO IT because {if the fail} they fail catastrophically in a manner {side wall blow out} that almost always causes a crash..

Ride safe, Ted

PS: After his discussion, I asked the Michelin Guy about the installation of the wider {180/60} tire on my C-10's narrow rim. {see post 606}
      He said; (Officially) he couldn't recommend it as the (180/60) tire is too wide for the rim.
                   (Unofficially) he said that he didn't feel I would have the same safety concerns that I would have if I installed a s____d car tire.
                   Then; we went outside, got a beer, and (Unofficially) talked bad about MOB..   :beerchug:

I'm trying to be funny here guys. Let's go back to the tire discussion..
               Ain't life great!!!   :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 06:01:38 pm by connie_rider »

Offline Treadlightly

• Tricycle
« Reply #614 on: August 28, 2019, 08:08:51 pm »
Hey there, I'm looking at putting some fresher tires on the 1986 I just bought. I like the grip I'm getting from the Bridgestone's that are on it but I've already put a thousand miles on them and they are 4 years old. Question is can I use a 120/70 18 on the front? Can't find a match for the one it came with 110/80 18. Back is no problem, I found a match for it 150/ 80 16. No real hurry, they still have good depth for now.

Offline Treadlightly

• Tricycle