Author Topic: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?  (Read 187388 times)

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?
« Reply #175 on: May 09, 2012, 11:58:44 am »
I know that Murph has Avon Road Riders (AM-26) in stock. (Belted)
I looked at them. Look good! They appear to have the same tread pattern as the Avon Radials.
I have not seen the (AM-26) Roadriders discussed. Has anyone used these?

I did not go back and re-read this entire tread, so I may have missed the discussion on the AM-26 tires.
I did see that Murph was out of stock on them, so "someone" is using them....

What is the opinions on this tire?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Jethro

• Tricycle
  • COG # 10185
  • COG#: 10185
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #176 on: May 11, 2012, 10:13:14 am »
wow this forum is going to suck away all my riding time..for a newby theres just so much STUFF to read and learn...
but anyways heres my can of worms..would love to hear your thoughts...just got my connie about a week ago..she has brand new stock size dunlops...and i do most of my driving on highways..year round...im no racer..i prefer just cruisein on my concours,,im def a lower RPM kinda guy..but wow 6th gear is spinning way up there at 70ish..so i plan on the 7th gear unit from sisf..but the real question is in the meantime has any one ran a stock size front and a goldwing rear?? since my tires are new and funds are limited..i could drop a few RPMs with that bigger rear tire without haveing to spend money on a new front tire...plus money for getting them both mounted

Offline cra-z1000

• Sport Tourer
  • Keeping it upright..
  • COG#: 9790
« Reply #177 on: May 11, 2012, 10:24:00 am »
The roadriders work well but did not last long . Got about 8000 out of them before they cupped a bit . Running battleaxes now seem pretty decent so far .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #178 on: May 11, 2012, 09:16:57 pm »
wow this forum is going to suck away all my riding time..for a newby theres just so much STUFF to read and learn...
but anyways heres my can of worms..would love to hear your thoughts...just got my connie about a week ago..she has brand new stock size dunlops...and i do most of my driving on highways..year round...im no racer..i prefer just cruisein on my concours,,im def a lower RPM kinda guy..but wow 6th gear is spinning way up there at 70ish..so i plan on the 7th gear unit from sisf..but the real question is in the meantime has any one ran a stock size front and a goldwing rear?? since my tires are new and funds are limited..i could drop a few RPMs with that bigger rear tire without haveing to spend money on a new front tire...plus money for getting them both mounted

When you pony up the measley $37 buck to join COG, there's EVEN MORE!!!! (and it's good!) Been there, done that. Lurked, joined the forum, joined COG, WOW!!!!!    :))
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Jethro

• Tricycle
  • COG # 10185
  • COG#: 10185
« Reply #179 on: May 11, 2012, 09:35:57 pm »
i am a member COG...im #10185... ^-^
so has anyone tried stock size tire up front and a goldwing on the back? any thoughts? problems?

Offline cra-z1000

• Sport Tourer
  • Keeping it upright..
  • COG#: 9790
« Reply #180 on: May 12, 2012, 10:05:24 am »
I notice the BT45 has siping that runs aroung the perimeter of the tire.  Has anyone who uses them ever had problems with the tires "hunting" in grooved pavement.  The 205's did and they have much the same configuration.  The Avon Storm doesn't twitch in this scenario at all.

I've now got 850 miles on a set of these, and I'm going to retract my previous statement that they like to lean.

They do, in fact, like to slip and then lean. That siping on the sides causes them to follow every groove, crack and rut in pavement. Never, in 40,000+ miles on this bike, have I had a set of tyres that I so adamantly hated.

Furthermore, I'd add that these are outright dangerous when very cold. Other night I had to run a few errands, decided to take the bike instead of the car. Just turning out of my complex I almost lost the back. This was at about 20mph, at the most, and less than 1/4 throttle.

My biggest complaint, and East Coasters back me up here, is I-78. A highway that runs across NJ and PA. The eastern part is mostly grooved super-slab. These Bridgestones hunt and peck all over the place. And heaven forbid you get behind a tractor-trailer, then you're blowing all over the place.

I've gotten so scared on these, I refuse to ride in the rain with them.

It's odd too, as I had a set of these on a Ninja 500 a number of years ago, and they were wonderful. Shame really, but I think these were designed for smaller sport bikes and standards, not our big sport-tourer.

I'm in somewhat of a pickle here too as I'm riding out to the National, and can't decide on what to replace these with: the Avons gripped the best, by far. The OEM Dunlops lasted the longest. I'd love to keep experimenting with different combinations, but to be honest, every time I have to dump another $300 on tyres, is $300 less I have toward a new C14, which I've been saving up for almost 2 years. I've still got another year or so to go (I'd like to buy mine cash, or at the most, finance only a small fraction of the price) and so this bike needs to last.

FWIW, over the past 40k miles, all the big trips I did, and all the best rides I went on, judging from my ride journals, were on the OEM Dunlops. I know many on here dislike them, but I can say that this bike rode like a Cadillac and handled like a proper sport bike with these and the suspension upgrades I've done (Sonic 1.2s, Progressive rear shock.) YMMV.

I had considered the Kosman or Mean Streak rear wheel, but to be honest, this bike has almost 65k on it. To spend that kind of money, knowing full well that some very big maintenance is right around the corner (going to need all new suspension bushings, timing chain (eventually), all new lines and hoses, brake caliper and carburetor rebuilds) the amount of money spent eventually becomes too much. Do I buy another low-mileage C10, and move all my good parts over, or do I keep saving and go for a C14?

Time, and finances, will tell. Sorry for the long-winded post, but I'm at my wit's end on this tyre issue. The few sets that are available are all some crummy compromise or another, and the alternative is to spend nearly half of what this bike is worth (if not more) on getting 17" wheels.

I'm liking the BT45's myself , have almost 3000 on them . stuck like glue all over the Eureka Springs area , wore my chicken strips down to a nub . I did put the progressive springs in at the same time . Don't have too much grooved pavement here but honestly , I have never found a motorcycle tire that didn't follow grooves and they all slip when cold .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into an FJR !!!
  • COG#: 7055
« Reply #181 on: May 12, 2012, 06:35:58 pm »
I know that Murph has Avon Road Riders (AM-26) in stock. (Belted)
I looked at them. Look good! They appear to have the same tread pattern as the Avon Radials.
I have not seen the (AM-26) Roadriders discussed. Has anyone used these?

I did not go back and re-read this entire tread, so I may have missed the discussion on the AM-26 tires.
I did see that Murph was out of stock on them, so "someone" is using them....

What is the opinions on this tire?

Ride safe, Ted

Yo Ted,
  Thats what I had on my bike at the Wildflower ride. I mounted them up the week before. They must have handled pretty well, you remember when you said you couldn't keep up with me in the curves ? (ha-ha)
I like them so far, the ride is smooth, they track well, they handle good in the turns and they did well in the
little bit of rain we had that weekend.   

"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline pradsliff

• Road Bike
  • Pradsliff
    • Me and MyConnie Blog
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9720
« Reply #182 on: May 14, 2012, 06:08:16 pm »
I just went through reading all the advice on the forum and then selecting, buying, and riding on my new Avons. The full story is here: http://meandmyconnie.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/new-shoes-for-myconnie/
Cheers,
Peter

2001 Concours “MyConnie”  •  COG #756415  •  CDA #412  •  blog: http://www.meandmyconnie.com

Offline Dan Vitous

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 8306
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #183 on: May 15, 2012, 02:09:01 am »
Jim - what tire pressure are you running in your Roadriders?

I got the front mounted... rear tomorrow.  I think.  I hope.  The downside about jack-stand balancing... its a bit time consuming :P

At least the 110 front went on w/o incident.  I had a 110 Mac, replaced with a 110 PR, and it wouldn't seat.  Took it to 2 dealers, and they couldn't seat it either.  Had to go back to a 120.

I've seen 32f-34r, 34f-36r... some pressures as low as 28 in the front... all over the board.

The upside.. I've also seen reports of phenomenal mileage.  Not being a big shredder... I have hopes :)

Thanks!

Dan   
Naperville, IL     
COG#3533
CDA#0129
AMA#522689                             

Offline Racerchk

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #184 on: June 13, 2012, 07:07:28 pm »
I changed my BT45 front at 16K and it was not at the wear bars. However others report 14K for the front. So somewhere in that range. Aprox 10K typical for the rear of BT-45.

As for size get the BT-45 in the 110/80-18 for the front, and for the rear they stock 150/80-16. Yes the 110/80 fits the later model front. Its actually the right size, IE the proper fit according to the specs.

:You_Rock_Emoticon:  :wee_hee:

Dude, sorry to have bothered you before I dug through all the posts  :-[ You answer all my questions here, except maybe the Bias vs. Radial issue. But looks like BT45's!  ;) Nevada here I come   :motonoises:  Currently am hating ME880's  >:(
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 07:18:27 pm by Racerchk »

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 6953
« Reply #185 on: June 13, 2012, 09:48:07 pm »
Bias Ply versus Radial Ply....

You will get various opinions on this from "so what" to " your gonna die".  The vast majority of the internet searching I have done yields site all saying the same thing. Much of it is dang near copy/paste, word for word. I have only seen 1-2 good articles that were motorcycle specific and from some tire experts not just retyping the same old line.   

The general rule is dont mix bias and radial tires. However it should be noted that some M/C MFG's actually sell bikes right from the showrooom floor with a mix of tires. -- Then you have some that will say its ok to mix if you have bias front and radial rear. This is most common, but I have read a few that claim radial fronts and bias rears is the proper order.

Other general rule is if it comes with radials use radials, if it comes with bias ply use bias ply. Any swapping is dangerous bla bla bla.

A few data points as I understand them ( and learning more all the time, so subject to change without notice ), and General Rules not 100% cast in stone, and from the one good M/C article I read ( and cannot find right now ).

- Radials versus bias tires deflect load / energy differently, more flexible and generate less heat. ( I think this is 100% true )

- Radials last longer. In general motorcycle tire MFG's would give them softer compounds for better traction, and still have the same or better tire mileage than the old bias ply's had.

- All things being equal radials are supposed to have a harsher ride compared to the bias plys. Although not the case when comparing hard a** Wing Size bias ply tires to something like Avon radials. But they are intended for completely different needs. Hence the statement 'all things being equal'. -- Most articles I have read say the opposite. From the tire MFG's too. But I am wondering if it was car oriented. The one article I read saying M/C MFG making suspension inprovements for radials was an M/C specific article.

Given these things, from my fav article I have read Motorcycle MFG's have to make frame and steering geometry changes, and suspension changes to deal with radial tires and bring radials to the M/C market.  this is pretty universal stated across the sites. What seemed to be different about the one M/C specific article was giving some detail on:

-- The article will tell people if you have an older M/C designed for bias ply tires, that going to radials has no benefit. Your bike's frame / steerning geometry will not make use of the radial ply nature, could make it worse. Odds are you just end up with harsher ride and no benefit.  You spent more money for nothing unless you are willing to spend money on all kinds of other upgrades.

-- On the flip side when you have a bike designed for radials and going to bias ply, the response seemed to be 'why would you want to do that?'. I dont see the experts in the article saying your going to die, its more like 'how come'. Radials are better, why do you want to go backwards. I did not see all sorts of steering and suspension excuses like going from bias to radials. It was just a plain ole, WTF?

So MY conclusion is based on our poor choice of tire selection available for the C10 and the stock wheels. In our specific case the 'How Come?' is because they are a cost effective alternative, that handle well and have good traction, and in this case generally have slightly better mileage than the one existing radial pair we have.

How I understand it, subject to change w/o notice.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:34:36 pm by Slybones »
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #186 on: June 13, 2012, 10:42:44 pm »
In terms of Radials lasting longer than Bias ply tires. I have read on Michelin site that radials can last up to 50% longer than a bias ply. In the car world radial tires with 80K mileage warranties are not uncommon. These are generally H rated or less tires and not what I would think of as performance. Seems like they really do get some miles out of them.

In the bike world, why does it seem to me that radials are not getting all that much better mileage that bias plys. Sure they have better traction, but has the M/C tire MFG's just decided that we dont need mileage and that they will just make them sticker and sticker as technology improves. 10-15K is all you get. Live with it.
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #187 on: June 13, 2012, 10:59:35 pm »
With my limited knowledge and experience: My 2000 (new to me in 2010) came with old but not worn out Dunlops. I put on Avon Azaro/Storm combo and liked it. Low mileage outcome (5,500 miles rear, some life left in the front) great handling.

I ride one particular slab near my office a lot and it is grooved concrete. The older the Avons got, the more they danced. I switched to BT-045 Bridgestones (bias). No more dance (very little anyway), not quite as good in the handling dept. Same road. $100 less on a set. SLIGHTLY less confidence on a wet road, but I'm still not sure if that's in my mind or not. Not willing to push it to see.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #188 on: June 17, 2012, 02:25:18 pm »
Ok Jim, (now that you outrode me at the National)..
What do you think of the Roadriders?
Were they as comfortable as your previous tires?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Capt. G

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #189 on: June 17, 2012, 03:26:59 pm »
as a past road racer, avons are the way to go hands down. great feedback, tremendous traction in wet/dry conditions. Any kind of road surface. I will never run anything else. :great: :beerchug: :)

Offline Sirius Scratch

• zzzzzZZZZZZZ
  • Mini Bike
  • She's gone.
  • COG#: 9105
« Reply #190 on: June 20, 2012, 02:16:58 am »
After much reading here in the forum, I swapped my blistered, cupped, and otherwise hosed Metzler 880s for the bias ply Bridgestone BT45s front and back.  I've put 220 miles on them so far, a mix of in town riding and Interstate cruising.  Happy to report that the Bridgestones have plenty of road feel, lack the harshness of the Metzlers, and I experienced NO hunting in either of the riding situations, and besides the normal heavy truck canals on I-5 we have a plethora of heavy equipment surface anomalies on the local roads, enough to challenge any tire.  I am running factory recommended tire pressures front and rear.

Sirius
Sirius Scratch
1999 Hot Rod Concours. Now sold
2008 Burgman 650 Executive Temporary Solution
COG#9105
CDA0337

Offline motonerd14

• Nerd n' Ziggy
  • Street Cruiser
  • Go West, young man...
  • COG#: 9283
« Reply #191 on: June 21, 2012, 03:08:41 am »
After much reading here in the forum, I swapped my blistered, cupped, and otherwise hosed Metzler 880s for the bias ply Bridgestone BT45s front and back.  I've put 220 miles on them so far, a mix of in town riding and Interstate cruising.  Happy to report that the Bridgestones have plenty of road feel, lack the harshness of the Metzlers, and I experienced NO hunting in either of the riding situations, and besides the normal heavy truck canals on I-5 we have a plethora of heavy equipment surface anomalies on the local roads, enough to challenge any tire.  I am running factory recommended tire pressures front and rear.

Sirius

I'm wondering if the Bridgestones are directly affected not just by air pressure, but also suspension settings. I have a very stiff and sporty setup on this bike, with Sonic 1.2s in the front and a Progressive 465 in the rear that has been dialed in for better handling than ride. Could it be that the stiffer suspension is partially causing the wander I experienced with these? It was only on roads that had grooves or truck ruts. On fresh pavement, they were wonderful.
2012 C14 - 'Ziggy'
2005 KLR650 - 'Klara'

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #192 on: June 22, 2012, 03:05:18 pm »
At the National this year, Jim showed me how well the belted tires (AM-26's) worked for him. I was impressd!!
But I prefer a radial, as I think the radial gives me a tiny bit more grip/safety.

Eventually (if the tire choices continue to decrease) I will have to go to the belted tires,, find 17" wheels, and/or get a new bike.    :)

Until then,, I'll be on radials.

See ya on the road.
Ride safe, Ted

Offline Browny

• Big Wheels
« Reply #193 on: July 11, 2012, 04:02:37 am »
Hi all! My name is Bill Brown and this is my first post, nickname Browny!
   My 04 is running Azaro rear and Storm II front. At four thousand miles the rear went flat at 90mph on I-75  heading home from work out of Miami at 4:30 am, leaving me a quarter mile shy of Sheridan Street. On the rim I rode to the first light heading east, parking it till I got towed. I had approx a thousand miles left on the rear. Competition Cycle showed me the puncture dead center which caused me my inconvenience.
   Now, new Azaro, two thousand miles and the Storm II six thousand. My commute is a hundred seventeen miles a day, six days a week, rain or shine.
   I like these tires. Heavy rain, hi speeds, cornering and most impressed with getting me off the highway flat!
   My quest now is a 17" rear wheel due to the fact of dual compound.

ttyl, browny
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 04:29:27 am by Browny »

Offline james_laribee_NY

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #194 on: July 11, 2012, 03:34:06 pm »
Okay so back to the Michelin Commander II's. I like the twisties but I'm looking for longer tire wear. All I have run is the Dunlop 205's. What kind of life can we expect from the Commanders? Will I give up a lot of stick in the twisties?
JML

Offline motonerd14

• Nerd n' Ziggy
  • Street Cruiser
  • Go West, young man...
  • COG#: 9283
« Reply #195 on: July 15, 2012, 07:44:38 pm »
Just 2¢ here, but I put that BT45 back on the rear when the Azaro wore out. Now running a half-worn Storm on the front and a fairly new (2k miles, or thereabouts) BT on the back and so far, so good. I see no reason why one could not run this combination, if that helps.
2012 C14 - 'Ziggy'
2005 KLR650 - 'Klara'

Offline 03Mach1

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #196 on: August 12, 2012, 11:34:10 am »
I went with the Dunlop K700 replacement. So far, so good. About 1000 miles on it so far and shows very little wear.  You can see from the old one, it was overdue to be replaced. The guy inspecting it would not pass it.  I am glad. It was an accident waiting to happen.  It had almost 9000 miles on it!  This is the 4th set of tires in 31K miles.
Dave W.
Cuba, NY
2000 Concours

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #197 on: August 12, 2012, 03:02:18 pm »
What do you mean? ' The guy inspecting it would not pass it'
Are you saying you would have kept on riding on that bald a** worn out tire if the 'Guy' did pass it??
Wow!  Do you know what a 'Wear Bar' is??
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit 100+HP  + way more torque.
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #198 on: August 12, 2012, 04:50:34 pm »
That old one looks like a BT-45 rear. Only 9K and down that far. hmmm...  Maybe 8K to the wear bars?  -- 8K to 10K sounds about right for them. A few have reported less.

I have 11.2K on mine as of yesterdays ride. Not on the bars yet. This is my best so far. 10K as been typical for me.
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #199 on: August 13, 2012, 11:57:54 am »
Are you saying you would have kept on riding on that bald a** worn out tire??      Wow! 

Now Mike. Go EZ. <grin>
As I recall your rear tire looked a LOT like that in Arkansas....
But,,, of course, yours only had about 2000 miles on it....   ;)
I can't imagine how it got so worn???   :sign0098:

Ride safe, Ted