Author Topic: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?  (Read 190656 times)

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
Re: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?
« Reply #250 on: April 30, 2014, 12:50:14 pm »
What Steve said.
The confusion comes because the early bikes came from Ma Kaw with the Dunlop 110/80 front. Anyone feel free to jump in and correct me where I am wrong.   Then, in 1994, when there were a few changes/updates made, the bikes came equipped with a "slightly" wider redesigned rim and a Dunlop 120/70 front... but that tire appears to have not REALLY quite been a 120/70 tire though it WAS wider than the 110/80.  Replacing it with a more typical 120/70 in any other manufacturer or even model of tire from Dunlop was actually putting on a tire not specified for a rim that narrow.  The 110/80 is still the better choice IMHO for handling and fitment on any year of Concours (any year before that other thing came out that made us start calling them C-10s at least).   ;D

Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline WanderingNAP

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11073
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #251 on: May 19, 2014, 05:01:04 am »
One hour and 45 minutes later and i've finally reached the end of the thread and i think i've got a handle on it... :truce:
Looks like i'll be buying another Dunlop K700 for the rear and it will last as long as my existing front Dunlop (I bought the set together last Summer, ergo the 2/1 ratio). AND in the mean time, I'll be shopping for a 17" rear wheel... If i lived in Kansas or Florida the Metzler 880s would be 'good enough', but everywhere else they're rubbish....Radials are preferred but bias are decent and not dangerous. Avon is the front runner and going 110/80 is the proper fit for the front from here on out. Thanks Gentlemen. Did i pass?!

Online connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #252 on: May 19, 2014, 09:58:01 pm »
Nope,, ya missed somthing...
Read it again.
And then go read the other tide discussion...    ;)

(Hint) Avon is coming out with a new Compound/Radial Tire/(for the C-10) in the next few months..

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into an FJR !!!
  • COG#: 7055
« Reply #253 on: May 19, 2014, 11:07:26 pm »
One hour and 45 minutes later and i've finally reached the end of the thread and i think i've got a handle on it... :truce:
Looks like i'll be buying another Dunlop K700 for the rear and it will last as long as my existing front Dunlop (I bought the set together last Summer, ergo the 2/1 ratio). AND in the mean time, I'll be shopping for a 17" rear wheel... If i lived in Kansas or Florida the Metzler 880s would be 'good enough', but everywhere else they're rubbish....Radials are preferred but bias are decent and not dangerous. Avon is the front runner and going 110/80 is the proper fit for the front from here on out. Thanks Gentlemen. Did i pass?!

Nick, don't do it Bro, the Dunlop 700's are crap. Have you looked at the Avon AM-26? They are bias but are better than the 700's any day of the week. I am currently running 110/80 front and 150/80 rear and they are great.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #254 on: May 19, 2014, 11:18:40 pm »
880's are crap too even in Florida. The problem is they will never heat up even on hard cornering or with  heavy loads on a C10. In wet weather they are like concrete and act like snot on grease.
880's on certain  other bikes work great but IMHO they are dangerous  on a C10. I put 500 miles on one and then  tossed in the garbage
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit 100+HP  + way more torque.
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #255 on: May 19, 2014, 11:26:13 pm »
880's are crap too even in Florida. The problem is they will never heat up even on hard cornering or with  heavy loads on a C10. In wet weather they are like concrete and act like snot on grease.
880's on certain  other bikes work great but IMHO they are dangerous  on a C10. I put 500 miles on one and then  tossed in the garbage

What Daytona Mike said ^^^^^

Hey Mike, you beat me to it by about 8 minutes.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #256 on: May 20, 2014, 01:10:20 am »
Ditto!
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline WanderingNAP

• Big Wheels
« Reply #257 on: May 20, 2014, 02:45:53 pm »

[/quote]

Nick, don't do it Bro, the Dunlop 700's are crap. Have you looked at the Avon AM-26? They are bias but are better than the 700's any day of the week. I am currently running 110/80 front and 150/80 rear and they are great.
[/quote]

I will definitely be running the avons in the future, but i only need a rear tire at this moment so i thoughti should stick with the set of matching Dunlops until i need a new complete set. I dont think it should take me too long. 8K miles or so, probably by independence day :-)

Offline DamDan

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 5420
« Reply #258 on: May 20, 2014, 07:19:15 pm »
I admit that the Dunlop K700 series isn't a great tire but I've had to "resort" to them on many occasions due to both Dunlop and other manufacturers dropping lines/sizes of tires over the years. At least they have been fairly available and inexpensive, for radials. I have them on both of my C-10s now but have an Avon awaiting me at the dealer. Of the 250+K miles on my two C-10s, over half have been on the K700s and I'm forever having fellow riders tell me that I need to back off a little.  LOL  Plus, I've never had any "failures" with them that I can recollect. Can't say that about some of the others I've used. So, Avon will have to prove to me that they're worth the extra money. I'm more than willing to try though.

Offline Edward

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10829
« Reply #259 on: May 20, 2014, 10:39:38 pm »
I couldn't wait for the 3D XM. I had previously loved the Avon combo (Storm 2 Ultra + Azaro) but wanted to try something new considering mileage and prices.

I've been on a Shinko 777 and a Michelin PR3 for a few weeks and have loved it so far. Handling is nice, have scraped a bit more off my center stand and my pegs, and there is almost NO chicken strip left, so I am cautioning myself to hold off a little. They "dance" a little more at high speed and in dirty air than the Avons did, but I try to avoid both of those situations as much as possible.

So far, the Avon is the winning combo, but this hasn't been too bad for the price. I got >7K miles on the Avons, so hoping for something more from this set.

Front: Michelin PR3 110/80 18
Rear: Shinko 777 150/80 16

:great:

Offline Coldfinger

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #260 on: May 24, 2014, 02:10:04 am »
I just mounted a set of Bridgestone BT 45 Battleax tires on my 87.  Super easy to mount and set beads.

Went on a 97 mile interstate and highway ride.  Took hands off bars one time and bike seemed to track straight which surprised me because it's always drifted to the right.  Maybe it was the road or wind, time will tell.

I did get the feeling they wandered a little.  I've never run non-radials before on the Concours.  Maybe it's just because they are new and very responsive and bike is very responsive compared to my Yamaha Raider, which has been my primary ride the last few years.  Maybe the wind and buffeting accentuated it.  I'm still pleased with the tires though.  They even have a date code of 2014 and came from Dennis Kirk.

Offline Jesusfreaks95

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 11384
« Reply #261 on: May 29, 2014, 01:25:56 pm »
Has anyone ran the new Michelin Commander II for a rear? Also, the BT-45 seems to be a popular read but what about a BT-020 for the front? Sorry if I missed any information, this thread is long!

Offline Zorlac

• Crotch Rocket
  • Bulletproof, eh? I'll be the judge of that!
  • COG#: 6962
« Reply #262 on: May 29, 2014, 02:13:35 pm »
"Has anyone ran the new Michelin Commander II for a rear?"

I'm running one, it works well enough for me it's wearing well too.
COG #6962

Offline james_laribee_NY

• Moped
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #263 on: May 29, 2014, 06:25:43 pm »
I'm running the Commander on my 99. About 8K miles so far and still looks like new. My last tire was worn out by this amount of miles.
It works pretty good. Maybe a little twitchy at the extreme.
JML

Offline Jesusfreaks95

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 11384
« Reply #264 on: May 30, 2014, 02:29:50 am »
Okay, thanks for your reply's that pretty much seals what I'm going to try this time around.

Offline WanderingNAP

• Big Wheels
« Reply #265 on: May 31, 2014, 03:08:44 am »
Well, in the interest of saving money AND learning how to remove and install the rear tire i've decided to re-use the tires on the parts bike i got last fall. They are the Avon pairing that are well reviewed and have lots of life left on them. The best part is now I'm proficient in tire work which will save me HUNDREDS during the life of the bike. I will post my review here soon(ish). Although.... the shinko reviews and price point are enticing.

Offline dld

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #266 on: June 02, 2014, 02:44:03 pm »
Update on my Avon Azaro/Storm combo.

We just took a vacation trip, 2142 miles, over numerous mountain passes as high as 9623 ft,  hours spent at 100-110 mph through Death Valley at 119 degrees (282 ft below sea level),  the Grand Canyon, Zion national Park, across Nevada on the Lincoln Highway. The tires had about 3500 miles on them when we left. The rear is completely worn out now, the front probably has one or two thousand miles left on it.
  Overall these tires are incredibly good. Not mileage kings, but they take anything you throw at them in stride. We rode in really hot conditions and rain on this trip, and lots of high speed. I never once felt like the tires were a problem.

I will be ordering a new rear tire today, and it will be another Avon.

DLD
DLD
1998 Kawasaki Concours
1979 Yamaha XS650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1969 Datsun Roadster
1994 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible x 2
1990 Nemisis A Modified Autocross car designed and built by me, Kawasaki KZ1300 power

Offline DamDan

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 5420
« Reply #267 on: June 03, 2014, 12:15:03 am »
Hey, dld, how many "hours" @ 100-110mph did it take you to navigate Death Valley? Didn't know it was that big. LOL  I just put an Avon on the front of my '06 with the rear to follow later this month. First Avons for me in over 275K miles. We'll see.

Offline PaulP

• Software Engineer
  • Street Cruiser
  • An armed society is a polite society.
« Reply #268 on: June 03, 2014, 01:12:44 pm »
Caleb,

I'm running the BT-20 on the front and BT-45 on the rear. It's a good combination for me, but keep in mind I don't ride that hard. I  use my bike mostly for daily commuting and some touring on the weekends, so wet/rough road performance is the most important thing to me and these tires deliver in that sense. They also deliver relatively long life. I know some prefer radials, but I have nothing but good things to say about the Bridgestones.
Current: 2006 Concours (Connie Mae)
Previous: 1988 K100LT, 1982 GPZ550

Offline Coldfinger

• Moped
« Reply #269 on: June 03, 2014, 10:16:46 pm »
I've got a few hundred miles on my BT45s and I wouldn't bet that I can tell the difference between them and radials (which I've always run up till now). 

I'm in Nebraska and haven't ridden with them on mtn type roads so can't attest to how they may feel when doing curvy roads.

Offline WanderingNAP

• Big Wheels
« Reply #270 on: June 06, 2014, 04:35:31 pm »
The Avons are awesome. Way better than the Dunlops in feel, on metal bridges, in the wet, and on the freeway.

Offline Redbarron

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10045
« Reply #271 on: June 12, 2014, 12:26:33 am »
Well hear to report that the front 120 70 18 Avon Storm Ultra st is a close second so far to the Michelin PR3.  With the PR3 edging it out in regards to wet traction and flexability, but the PR3 is loud.  The Avon handles better turns in a little better and not as loud.

The Michelin Commander ll 150 80 16 rear is so far the scariest  >:D rear I have ever had on any bike in almost 30 years.
It is slippery as all hell but so far wear seems to be barely noticeable.

I like the Shinko 777 but it dry rots and wears out to soon.  Thinking trying out the BT45 for fall and winter riding.
Never Allow the Radicall Views of the Few to Infringe on the Constitutional Rights of the Many

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 6953
« Reply #272 on: June 12, 2014, 02:52:53 am »
The PR3 / BT45 is a good combo.
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline Open air

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 11191
« Reply #273 on: June 20, 2014, 03:34:25 pm »
Tires?  so many different experiences.

My rear BT45 is almost done at 5000km (3000 mi).
BT45 has worked well, just not lasting. Driving to work and few day trips only.

I am looking at Shinko 777 for rear and mounted BT45 remaining on the front.

What do you think?

Offline jettawreck

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #274 on: June 23, 2014, 07:17:25 pm »
I bought a Shinko 777 rear and got it mounted up the other day. Runs smooth and straight and makes the whole ride feel better, smoother. The old Venom had worn a bit cupped and had sidewall weathering, so it was time. Don't know how the Shinko will last, but its on the C10 that I plan to sell later this year. I'll get some miles on it and decide if I want to mount one on the '05 that I plan to keep around. So far it's fine.
I'm sure it's not the BEST tire available (as per the thread title), but for the money I'm giving it a try. This way, I can decide or eliminate a couple choices for the next time around.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 07:27:02 pm by jettawreck »
Snowmobiles, I have a bunch.
Motorcycles-I haven't had anything except dirtbikes 30 years ago, so this will be all new to me.
2005 C10 with Rifle w/s, SISF Exhaust sprocket, overflow tubes, 2 minute jet mod. (SOLD)
2004 Honda ST1300-the current mule.