Author Topic: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?  (Read 189761 times)

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?
« Reply #275 on: June 23, 2014, 09:51:23 pm »
Tires?  so many different experiences.
My rear BT45 is almost done at 5000km (3000 mi).
BT45 has worked well, just not lasting. Driving to work and few day trips only.
I am looking at Shinko 777 for rear and mounted BT45 remaining on the front.
What do you think?

COGger Rock said on Saturday he likes his Shinko. How about posting up your  thoughts if you do that combo?If I do the Shinko, I'll have the same combo. I'm within a month or so of replacing my BT-045 rear. It's my second and okay, but for a supposedly dual compound, not giving the miles I thought I'd get. Maybe 5,500 when it's done.
Thanks!
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 6953
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #276 on: June 24, 2014, 12:27:05 am »
Tires?  so many different experiences.
My rear BT45 is almost done at 5000km (3000 mi).
BT45 has worked well, just not lasting. Driving to work and few day trips only.
I am looking at Shinko 777 for rear and mounted BT45 remaining on the front.
What do you think?

COGger Rock said on Saturday he likes his Shinko. How about posting up your  thoughts if you do that combo?If I do the Shinko, I'll have the same combo. I'm within a month or so of replacing my BT-045 rear. It's my second and okay, but for a supposedly dual compound, not giving the miles I thought I'd get. Maybe 5,500 when it's done.
Thanks!

My second PR3 front just arrived. My BT45 rear has a ways yet. But with all the positive feedback on the 777, better mileage and the nice price point looks like I might have to try the PR3 / 777 combo in about 4-5 months from now.
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #277 on: July 05, 2014, 01:07:22 pm »
At the national I had to put an ME 888 (rear) on my Connie for Lars.. (Traveler from Sweden that borrowed my 03)
I didn't get to ride the bike with it on, but he was impressed.

Need a front now. Thinking I will install the mating tire. Is anyone using these?
Thoughts?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline SmokinRZ

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9430
« Reply #278 on: July 24, 2014, 01:48:41 pm »
At the national I had to put an ME 888 (rear) on my Connie for Lars.. (Traveler from Sweden that borrowed my 03)
I didn't get to ride the bike with it on, but he was impressed.

Need a front now. Thinking I will install the mating tire. Is anyone using these?
Thoughts?

Ride safe, Ted

I am on my third ME880 put on last year.  I must have missed the new 888 but I did notice the tire is now made in Brazil.  Seems to be a little softer and slightly smaller physically from the previous tires.  I think the bad rep for the 880 comes from the wing sized tires.  As a multi-state interstate bomber, I like the security of knowing there won't be any tread separation.  This is a sturdy tire for running a continuous 85mph in 100 degree weather loaded down.  I still like to run a spirited pace in the twisties so I run the Z6 up front.  I've never had any issues with this combination.         

Offline Ride&time

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 11207
« Reply #279 on: August 11, 2014, 01:10:37 am »
I know many said changing from what came stock Dunlops 700 and 701 was a big improvement. I just went with them again. When I got my bike used I knew no different and thought this is just a touring bike. The new ones made a world of difference. I have no Idea how old the tires were that I removed or how good the previous owner was with keeping good air presure in them. They were half worn and I put about 7500 to 8000 on them. Probably average conditions and average riding (in my opinion) Those tires that came with my bike were not good, but the same tires new were much better. I do like sticking to radials, just me. I think looking at the tires for abnormal wear and potential future prroblems is important. Maybe more so than the brand. When I checcked the balance of the old tires it was bad. I mounted and balanced them myself this time much better. If you use a shop make sure its a good one.

Mark,  2006 concours

Offline DamDan

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 5420
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #280 on: August 14, 2014, 09:14:38 pm »
After putting a few hundred on my first pair of Avons, I'm liking them but time ans more miles will tell. They were a little more money than the Dunlops but MAY be worth it. Again, time will tell.

Offline Con Watcher

• Big Wheels
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #281 on: September 05, 2014, 05:21:46 pm »
I am looking to replace the ancient Dunlop D205's that came on the C10 I got this summer and am trying to make a decision on what to get. There seems by what I am reading to be a general aversion to Dunlop tires on these bikes, although probably due to my ignorance and nothing to compare them to they have seemed fine to me. They actually aren't in too bad of shape but the date code is scary. I live in Western Washington so I need something that does well in the wet, most of my riding is my long commute on the freeway. If I ride exclusively my commuting is 1300 miles a month alone, so I would like to not replace tires every few months. It seems that probably the new Avon Storm 3d xm or a combo with shinko 777 rear may be the best choices with the shinko maybe having the advatage in tread life. Any other suggestions, words of wisdom, ect. Why the dislike of the Dunlops?

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #282 on: September 05, 2014, 05:42:40 pm »
Are there any number-cruncher/statisticians/liars here that can handle compiling a survey for tires?

Would seem a survey of a few metrics (granted some would be rather subjective) like dry and wet traction (on a scale), noise, responsiveness/turn-in/, resistance to road flaws, size used, etc, would produce a significant volume of data points from this group.

Properly constructed, even in an Excel spreadsheet it would be very informative.

Any math/research geeks out there? I'd be glad to put legwork into this (I have a perspective and analytical skills, but don't know how to properly construct a study).

Maybe we could start with the old tire spreadsheet as a base of tires.

Offline Con Watcher

• Big Wheels
« Reply #283 on: September 05, 2014, 06:23:26 pm »
In going back and re-reading it looks like some people are getting good tread life out of the Bridgestone BT45's 10,000+ miles and some are getting far less on Bridgestone's are they different model tires or just from more aggressive use. Can a few that have the BT45's post the milage your getting on them and give an idea of how aggressively you ride. They seem like they might be another option for me, I had dismissed them because I saw several reports of them only lasting 5000ish miles. 

Online works4me

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10594
« Reply #284 on: September 05, 2014, 08:10:13 pm »
I can give a fair comparison between the BT-45 and 777.
My C-10 is my commuter and I ran them back to back.
Same bike, same roads, same commute with as few
variables thrown in as reasonably possible.
( I own other bikes for 2-up, long distance, etc. )
The BT-45 was completely done at 5500 miles.
The 777 will turn 10,000 miles next week and is
still not at the wear bars. I will likely finish out
the season with it.
I have been quite pleased and will definitely get another.
No surprises or disappointments with this one.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #285 on: September 05, 2014, 10:33:49 pm »
Just finished my second BT-45 rear and while I like them okay, both tires wore out between 6500 and 6800 miles. Might try the Shinko next summer/fall.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 12:29:54 am by ron203 »
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline DamDan

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 5420
« Reply #286 on: September 06, 2014, 07:46:45 pm »
With two C-10s to ride, I have now been using the Avons on my '98 long enough that when I got back on my '06, which has the Dunlop K series tires, I must admit that the Avons feel better. Now, if I could just get the price down to the Dunlop level. LOL  Plus, we'll have to see about mileage.

Offline Zenfab

• Mini Bike
« Reply #287 on: September 08, 2014, 09:19:26 pm »
Hi all!!!! Just did a 2106 km run and put avon storm frt and azaro rear much much better then my bt 45 and 20 ! Paid 424.00$ for the pair installed and balanced tax in and shopped around that was the best price I found in the province ! I ride 2 up 95% of the time and gotta say what a difference and got to try them on the rain so I'm a avon guy for now ;) sorry for grammar English is my 3 rd language
2003 concours
2003 fxdwg
2001 zx12r

Offline Greenie

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 1019
« Reply #288 on: November 02, 2014, 12:15:45 pm »
Hi all!!!! Just did a 2106 km run and put avon storm frt and azaro rear much much better then my bt 45 and 20 ! Paid 424.00$ for the pair installed and balanced tax in and shopped around that was the best price I found in the province ! I ride 2 up 95% of the time and gotta say what a difference and got to try them on the rain so I'm a avon guy for now ;) sorry for grammar English is my 3 rd language
I've had those tires on my C-10 for 3 years now(2 pairs), the front tire has 8K miles and is still fairly good, the rear tire let me down in Mexico with less than a 1,000 miles on it (the tire was out of round and I was unable to get the tire to Avon for inspection or warranty adjustments). Other than the premature failure the tires wear much slower than anything else I've tried and the tires handles very well.

Offline Jo

• Crotch Rocket
  • Secretary
  • COG#: 6247
« Reply #289 on: November 03, 2014, 10:24:06 am »
Ted, put a set of ME 888's just before the Vermont National rally..heavy rain to and from and variety of weather since...tires are wearing well... still going strong and  yes I have put on the miles.

Jo
central fl '01 connie
Jo  COG #6237,  '01 Connie, IBA, AMA
May the number of miles accumulate faster on my bike than on me!
AKA Connie girl

Offline LessPaul

• Street Cruiser
    • Tim Perry Creative Services
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #290 on: November 04, 2014, 05:24:39 pm »
Mine is more FWIW observation than anything. But I know I'll be tire shopping eventually, so I'll throw this out there.

Bought my '86 Connie last fall. It has Avon Venoms, front and rear. They had about 1K on them when I bought the bike. They looked basically brand new. I've since put another 6K on them this season and they still look new to me. No cupping in the front, or squaring off in the rear.

As for my observations/evaluation, I really don't have anything to compare them to. This is my first bike in 35 years, and my only set of tires on the Connie to date. I really have nothing to complain about. They seem to ride just fine for normal commuting (50 miles/day) and the occasional camping trip. 99.99% of my riding is 1-up, and camping trips put another 70 lbs on the seat behind me. I'm 59, and this being my first bike in ages, am not very aggressive.....tho I do love a spirited (but conservative) run. I rode for about an hour this summer in heavy rain at highway speeds and never felt like I was in danger of losing traction.

I have nothing to complain about with these tires. I guess I won't know if I have anything to rave about until I try a different set.

I see from many comments that the Avon Venoms don't seem to last very long. I haven't measured tread depth after 7K yet, but they still look to have a lot of life left. Unless they go to hell in a bucket, I expect I'll get another season out of them.
1971 Honda CB350 (in '76)
Time passes. Like 35+ years
1986 Kawasaki Concours (in '13)
Life is once again as it should be.

Offline Paulie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 4561
« Reply #291 on: November 04, 2014, 06:18:43 pm »
I see from many comments that the Avon Venoms don't seem to last very long.

Nope. Those comments are about the Avon radials, like the Azaro/Storm models. The Venom models are bias & last FAR longer. I use a rear Venom X 160/80-16 (for the GL1500 Wang)...and me likey!

Offline ACISROC

• Coordinator for the" Help A Cogger Out" thread.
  • Iron Butt
  • Red C-10 called Diablo
  • COG#: 11845
« Reply #292 on: November 11, 2014, 09:23:11 pm »
Pirelli Sport Demons front and rear, Really nice tire, grips excellent in rain too!
There are "Bold Riders" and their are "Old Riders" but their are very few "OLD BOLD RIDERS"
 2003 C-10, C.O.G.Member#11845, A.T.G.A.T.T.
SW Chapter "Bold Riders" Retired Scout 12%er

Offline Uncle Rob

• Road Bike
  • "Knock it off with those negative waves!"
  • COG#: 11810
« Reply #293 on: November 15, 2014, 02:30:19 pm »
Just replaced the original Dunlops on my 2003 (7000 miles) with a 110 PR3 front and 150 Shinko 777 rear.  The rear Dunlop was to the wear bars, the front probably had a couple thousand left in it.  Both were hard as a rock but had no age cracks.  The rear developed a crack when I broke the bead on it.  It feels like I added power steering to the bike.  Much smoother turn in with the new tires.  Have not really pushed the bike with the new tires yet. 
2003 C10
1999 Buell X1
Others in pieces

Rob Thomson

Offline Strawboss

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5852
« Reply #294 on: November 15, 2014, 11:01:23 pm »
Just took off an azarro rear radial, around 13000 miles, it was spent, probably should have replaced it at 10,000 miles, guess I was used to wing size bias Metzlers. Replaced it with the new style/compound Storm ultraX 3-D, only put 100 miles on it in the last week, will know more next year, supposed to be the best thing since sliced toast. $144.00 to my front door.
01 Concours  1982 KZ550A  1979 Triumph Bonneville  1995 Honda scooter 1982 CB125s 1980 BMW R-65  COG#5852  AMA Life 302525  NRA 9098599  SASS 28759

Offline Zorlac

• Crotch Rocket
  • Bulletproof, eh? I'll be the judge of that!
  • COG#: 6962
« Reply #295 on: November 16, 2014, 04:00:56 pm »
supposed to be the best thing since sliced toast.
I tried gluing sliced toast to the rear rim once but wasn't all that impressed.
COG #6962

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #296 on: November 17, 2014, 05:13:48 pm »
supposed to be the best thing since sliced toast.
I tried gluing sliced toast to the rear rim once but wasn't all that impressed.
Texas Toast unsliced is the ticket... may not be available in Joysie though.  :beerchug:

EDIT TO ADD:
You MUST use real buttah... no fake stuff.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Zorlac

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #297 on: November 17, 2014, 07:45:29 pm »
Texas Toast unsliced is the ticket... may not be available in Joysie though.  :beerchug:
EDIT TO ADD:
You MUST use real buttah... no fake stuff.
Hmmm, what's wrong with this picture? :o
COG #6962

Offline Zenfab

• Mini Bike
« Reply #298 on: November 17, 2014, 07:47:12 pm »
What do you guys prefer radial or bias ??? I ride 2 up at 95% of the time
2003 concours
2003 fxdwg
2001 zx12r

Offline Zorlac

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #299 on: November 17, 2014, 08:26:06 pm »
What do you guys prefer radial or bias ???
Both.
COG #6962