Author Topic: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?  (Read 187491 times)

Offline Mike

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?
« Reply #350 on: April 12, 2015, 01:24:52 pm »
There's an article on the Avons in the current (May) issue of Rider magazine.
Couldn't find it. Do you have a link?

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #351 on: April 12, 2015, 01:29:05 pm »
Mike, it was on pg 110 of the paper issue. I'll see if I can find a link for you.
Ron

Mike-didn't find it either. I guess they lag the paper copy with the online posting to encourage subscription. Sorry.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 01:34:04 pm by ron203, Reason: follow up »
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #352 on: April 13, 2015, 11:28:44 am »
Just got in a new 3D XM Avon for the back ( how's that back tire doing ) of my 06 bike to go with the Storm 2 Ultra on front.  Both are stock 110/80-18 and 150/80-16 sizes.  This will be my first try with the new XM.  I have a little less confidence in this tire going in than in the old Azaro.  WE'll see how I like it soon enough.
Finally put it in and rode about 700 miles this weekend.  It did fine for me.  Not overly confidence inspiring just comfortable, but then I did half of my riding or more on wet roads or in the rain so never really pushed it.  It never slipped a bit and felt predictable enough..  The wiggle is there in turbulent air (behind trucks) but that is just gonna be there IMHO due to Connie's big plastics and relatively small tire size.  Never felt unsettled and I rode some distance up to 115 mph without issue.  Rode a lot of rain grooves and reground highway too , but it didn't follow the lines as badly as most tires.  That was nice.  So far I have no complaints. 
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #353 on: April 13, 2015, 11:47:34 am »
If you want a long lasting (15k mile) tire that steers and rides like a truck and really stable, get the Dunlop ELITE 3 (not DUNLOP AMERICAN ELITE, it's not the same) in Goldwing sizes DUNLOP ELITE 3 130/70B-18 M/C 63H, FRONT  and DUNLOP ELITE 3 160/80B-16 M/C 80H, REAR (MULTI TREAD)

I have these on mine and really like them a lot. They feel very predictable on multiple surfaces and track extremely well through the corners (just pick a line and go). Hope Dunlop keeps making these.

Offline Ultrarunner

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 11928
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #354 on: April 13, 2015, 12:56:21 pm »
I'm hesitant to jump into a tire thread when I'm so new to this forum.....  but, I just purchased a 95 Connie the other day, which came with Avon Azaros front and rear, which the PO said he put on 4 years ago- mileage average was 2000 a year, according to him.  Tires look great- a lot of tread, no cracking, nothing.  And they have felt fine (better than fine- very solid).  Well, date code says rear is from 2004, front is from 2003.  I expect that the date code doesn't lie, but the tires sure do look good.  Now I'm paranoid to ride the bike at all.

So, I just ordered a pair of Avon Storm 3Ds, front and rear, stock sizes.  I hope I like them.  I have been using Dunlops on my current daily driver (77 GL1000), but have not been happy with them at all.  After I went through the last one in 4600 miles, I decided I would pay the premium for high quality tires.  That, and I expect to put on more than 10,000 miles in the next year, and I would rather not replace tires any more often.  Thus the Avons.  Sure hope that I like them.  I did pay a bit too much- wish I had seen Crashcup's spreadsheet, but I did price them, and eventually went with MC Superstore because they had them in stock- everyplace else I checked said the rear wouldn't ship until early May.  Of course, I've never heard of Rocky Mtn. ATV, so.....

Offline Mike

• Bicycle
« Reply #355 on: April 13, 2015, 01:21:35 pm »
I'm hesitant to jump into a tire thread when I'm so new to this forum.....  but, I just purchased a 95 Connie the other day, which came with Avon Azaros front and rear, which the PO said he put on 4 years ago- mileage average was 2000 a year, according to him.  Tires look great- a lot of tread, no cracking, nothing.  And they have felt fine (better than fine- very solid).  Well, date code says rear is from 2004, front is from 2003.  I expect that the date code doesn't lie, but the tires sure do look good.  Now I'm paranoid to ride the bike at all.
(Wow! those tires are old if you read the code right!
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11
Tires Manufactured Since 2000

Since 2000, the week and year the tire was produced has been provided by the last four digits of the Tire Identification Number with the 2 digits being used to identify the week immediately preceding the 2 digits used to identify the year.

Example of a tire manufactured since 2000 with the current Tire Identification Number format:
DOT U2LL LMLR 5107    
51    Manufactured during the 51st week of the year
07    Manufactured during 2007

So, I just ordered a pair of Avon Storm 3Ds, front and rear, stock sizes. 
( I had a problem with the stock size 120 70zr 18 because it was for a 3.5" rim. I cured it by replacing it with a 110 80zr 18. The 120 is too big for your rim. http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/storm-3d-x-m  ...)   
I hope I like them.  I have been using Dunlops on my current daily driver (77 GL1000), but have not been happy with them at all.  After I went through the last one in 4600 miles, I decided I would pay the premium for high quality tires.  That, and I expect to put on more than 10,000 miles in the next year, and I would rather not replace tires any more often.  Thus the Avons.  Sure hope that I like them.  I did pay a bit too much- wish I had seen Crashcup's spreadsheet, but I did price them, and eventually went with MC Superstore because they had them in stock- everyplace else I checked said the rear wouldn't ship until early May.  Of course, I've never heard of Rocky Mtn. ATV, so.....

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #356 on: April 13, 2015, 01:30:11 pm »
Hasn't been an Azaro front (for the ZG1000) made in awhile. Since that time we've seen what... STORMS, STORM ULTRAS, STORM ULTRA I Is, STORM ULTRA 3Ds, and now the STORM ULTRA 3D XMs. Yep, been awhile. I'm happy to hear you're changing them out.  :great:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:33:59 pm by Rev Ryder »
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Ultrarunner

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 11928
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #357 on: April 13, 2015, 02:02:33 pm »
I really wanted that "0" to look like a "1" on the date code, but as hard as I try, it's still a "0".  Thanks for the heads up on the front sizing - cancelled the order on the front - maybe I'll be able to save a few dollars as well.  I'm anxious to get them on so I can ride!

Offline nic1965

• Tricycle
  • NewConnie
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11862
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #358 on: April 15, 2015, 11:16:56 pm »
I finally decided to try Michelin.
PilotRoad3 and Commander 2 in stock sizes.
So that's a premium sport touring front radial / reinforced cruiser rear bias combo.
Excited to be rid of Metzler ME junk. Nervous about this expensive choice.
Updates to follow.
Tires are mounted and look great, PR3 front required NO weights to balance, Commander2 rear needed 3 chicklets.
no dots on the tires to line up valve stems, the shop foreman said the better made tires don't need them anymore...the front tire will loose a few pounds of air between rides, might have to have it remounted,,,
After 2 short rides and 2 afternoon rides, I'm happy. Bike handles great with no wobble or headshake. Have not been out in the rain yet tho.

Offline The Dude

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11820
« Reply #359 on: May 04, 2015, 07:49:37 am »
I couldn't help but notice that this discussion mostly addresses stock tire sizes (16" rear and 18" fronts).  And that lovely spreadsheet that someone generously built contained no info on 17" rubber.

I bought an '02 a few months ago, and I am in the process of converting both wheels to 17".  Is it safe to assume that the described characteristics of 16 and 18 inch tires will apply to the 17" equivalents?

I've read enough here to know that mixing biases is not a big deal.  But given that I'm buying both tires at the same time, wouldn't it be better to buy a matched set? 

FWIW, I weigh 225, and I am not an aggressive rider (though I want to be).  I hope to take 1-2 medium/long distance solo trips per year.  The rest of my miles are spent on occasional commutes and weekend day/joy rides.  Tires are likely to expire by date than by mileage for me.  Having said all that, can someone out there recommend their favorite choice for 17" tires?  Or should I just make my choice based on the information for 16"/18" tires?
FOR SALE: '02 CONCOURS (Smooooth Project #3)
Replaced by 2017 FJR1300
Past rides: '84 KZ700, '91 VFR750
Torque cams, 7th gear, SiSF carb treatment, 2MM, free power upgrade, 17" wheels, Sonic 1.1kg with GVEs, Spiegler brake lines, Murph/KB tubular bar mounts w/ SuperBike bars, yada yada

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #360 on: May 04, 2015, 11:43:36 pm »
Dude- I am running Dunlop Roadsmart 2 front and rear - 120/70 front, 160/70 rear. I really like these tires but find the front very noisy on these rough Texas roads. The front tread on the Roadsmart has very aggressive rain grooves. I may try something else next time.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline ACISROC

• Coordinator for the" Help A Cogger Out" thread.
  • Iron Butt
  • Red C-10 called Diablo
  • COG#: 11845
« Reply #361 on: May 05, 2015, 12:13:37 am »
Dano 44 I have heard that all the cool people only ride the best..Pirelli sport demons front and rear, Nice grip and good wear, great in the rain >:D
There are "Bold Riders" and their are "Old Riders" but their are very few "OLD BOLD RIDERS"
 2003 C-10, C.O.G.Member#11845, A.T.G.A.T.T.
SW Chapter "Bold Riders" Retired Scout 12%er

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #362 on: May 14, 2015, 10:58:36 pm »
I couldn't help but notice that this discussion mostly addresses stock tire sizes (16" rear and 18" fronts).  And that lovely spreadsheet that someone generously built contained no info on 17" rubber.

I bought an '02 a few months ago, and I am in the process of converting both wheels to 17".  Is it safe to assume that the described characteristics of 16 and 18 inch tires will apply to the 17" equivalents?

I've read enough here to know that mixing biases is not a big deal.  But given that I'm buying both tires at the same time, wouldn't it be better to buy a matched set? 

FWIW, I weigh 225, and I am not an aggressive rider (though I want to be).  I hope to take 1-2 medium/long distance solo trips per year.  The rest of my miles are spent on occasional commutes and weekend day/joy rides.  Tires are likely to expire by date than by mileage for me.  Having said all that, can someone out there recommend their favorite choice for 17" tires?  Or should I just make my choice based on the information for 16"/18" tires?
Michelin PR4, PR3, PR2, in that order.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline LessPaul

• Street Cruiser
    • Tim Perry Creative Services
« Reply #363 on: May 15, 2015, 12:24:18 pm »
Just got off the phone with a local, private bike repair shop. Wanted to get his mount/balance price if I brought the tires & wheels in to him. Asked me what I was going with for tires. I figured I'd go with the "consensus" here - Michelin PR3 front and Shinko 777 rear.

His disdain for the Shinko was palpable. Like he wasn't sure he'd even agree to mount it.

"Junk. Absolute junk."

And he owns the '03 Connie I see parked outside his shop.

Why the hate, ya think?

1971 Honda CB350 (in '76)
Time passes. Like 35+ years
1986 Kawasaki Concours (in '13)
Life is once again as it should be.

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #364 on: May 15, 2015, 01:27:16 pm »
Just got off the phone with a local, private bike repair shop. Wanted to get his mount/balance price if I brought the tires & wheels in to him. Asked me what I was going with for tires. I figured I'd go with the "consensus" here - Michelin PR3 front and Shinko 777 rear.

His disdain for the Shinko was palpable. Like he wasn't sure he'd even agree to mount it.

"Junk. Absolute junk."

And he owns the '03 Connie I see parked outside his shop.

Why the hate, ya think?

Old opinions are difficult to get away from...I remember getting some Shinkos when I was a parts manager...20 years ago...and they were junk!  Then they buy Yokohama's motorcycle technology...apply it to their product line...and, a few years later, they are competetive in the bike tire marketplace...

But, first impressions are difficult to leave behind...

I have Shinkos front and rear on my bike...and, there's a 17" Verge 2X waiting to be mounted on my MS wheel...I have no problems running their tires.

Years ago I can remember being at Daytona for Bike Week and hearing this new brand of motorcycle tire called
"Dun-flops"...how time and improvement changes things!

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 02:22:20 pm by CRocker »

Offline Zorlac

• Crotch Rocket
  • Bulletproof, eh? I'll be the judge of that!
  • COG#: 6962
« Reply #365 on: May 16, 2015, 01:02:12 pm »
Ask him for a price on the Michelin Commander 2 rear & the PR3 front.
COG #6962

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #366 on: May 16, 2015, 01:20:25 pm »
I figured I'd go with the "consensus" here - Michelin PR3 front and Shinko 777 rear.

There can be no consensus in a tire thread...why that's just plain un-American.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline jettawreck

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #367 on: May 16, 2015, 01:24:03 pm »
I figured I'd go with the "consensus" here - Michelin PR3 front and Shinko 777 rear.

There can be no consensus in a tire thread...why that's just plain un-American.

Yeah, why can't there be a clear winner like there is with oil?? ;)
Snowmobiles, I have a bunch.
Motorcycles-I haven't had anything except dirtbikes 30 years ago, so this will be all new to me.
2005 C10 with Rifle w/s, SISF Exhaust sprocket, overflow tubes, 2 minute jet mod. (SOLD)
2004 Honda ST1300-the current mule.

Offline AriBklyn

• Got Mule?
  • Road Bike
  • COG#: 10574
« Reply #368 on: May 25, 2015, 02:43:17 pm »
Want to replace the front Dunflop 120/70 18 the PO put on. About 3,000 miles on them but after a 300 mile day yesterday found them to be very twitchy/wiggly. Gotta say it pierced my confidence a bit.

Anyway, I'm having a hard time finding the Avon Storm 2 Ultra or the Venoms in that size tire or preferably the OEM 110/80 18. Anyone have a line on where I can find them? I checked several vendors and couldn't find them.
Thanks,   

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #369 on: May 25, 2015, 03:16:50 pm »
Can't answer that right now. But I have a more basic question.

Does anyone (other than Avon) make a radial for the 16" rear wheel on a Connie?
I think everyone (except Avon) has stopped production of 16" radials.. (gloom)

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline RodWpg

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #370 on: May 25, 2015, 03:22:10 pm »
Can't answer that right now. But I have a more basic question.

Does anyone (other than Avon) make a radial for the 16" rear wheel on a Connie?
I think everyone (except Avon) has stopped production of 16" radials.. (gloom)

Ride safe, Ted

dunlop
2003 concours winnipeg manitoba canada

Offline RodWpg

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #371 on: May 25, 2015, 03:46:13 pm »
I have the dunlop E3 ....I know dunlop seems to be a dirty word here but I have no complaints. However, my bike came with them so I have nothing to compare it to, and not too many curves around here. Funny, a customer of mine says goldwing owners on his forum love dunlops.
here is a link
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire-catalog/road/touring/elite-3/

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #372 on: May 25, 2015, 03:58:26 pm »
I've run many a mile on the Dunlop Elite 3 Radials on my GL1800. In looking at the sizes available it appears they are at least 30mm wider than the stock size called for on a C10. ???

The dearth of manufacturers for "stock" sized tires is what is causing me to go to the Mean Streak conversion (in the works as I type this). I'm sick of not being able to get tires (been waiting 2 weeks so far  >:( )
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

If you can't be a good example; be a WARNING!

Offline RodWpg

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #373 on: May 25, 2015, 04:27:46 pm »
I've run many a mile on the Dunlop Elite 3 Radials on my GL1800. In looking at the sizes available it appears they are at least 30mm wider than the stock size called for on a C10. ???

I see that my front is a 130 grrrr sad face. Dunlop does make a roadsmart in a 110, but that's not what I have, wonder how it would be to put a roadsmart on the front and e3 on the back.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire-catalog/sport-trackday-race/sport-touring/roadsmart-ii/

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire-catalog/road/touring/elite-3/

Offline RodWpg

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #374 on: June 04, 2015, 08:37:06 pm »
I was Wrong  ::) Dunlop does NOT make a matched set of radials for this bike.....the rear E3 radial is apparently too big, They do make a E3 bias which fits the rear, and a roadsmart II radial which is correct size for the front......and that is as close as you get for dunlops .....so sorry if I caused confusion.

if I am still wrong talk to Camper Dave
J/k
if I'm wrong let me know so I can apologize again :/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 08:46:30 pm by RodWpg »