Author Topic: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?  (Read 187387 times)

Offline works4me

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10594
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?
« Reply #375 on: June 05, 2015, 12:39:33 am »
I was Wrong  ::) Dunlop does NOT make a matched set of radials for this bike.....the rear E3 radial is apparently too big, They do make a E3 bias which fits the rear, and a roadsmart II radial which is correct size for the front......and that is as close as you get for dunlops .....so sorry if I caused confusion.

if I am still wrong talk to Camper Dave
J/k
if I'm wrong let me know so I can apologize again :/

I reckon you'd be right if it wasn't for the K701/700G combo.  ;D

Offline RodWpg

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #376 on: June 05, 2015, 01:02:05 am »
oooooo I missed that one! thanx, altho it is a 120 front as opposed to 110 it would work, odd looking tires and they don't tell you anything about them on the dunlop website
2003 concours winnipeg manitoba canada

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 6953
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #377 on: June 05, 2015, 07:18:26 pm »
oooooo I missed that one! thanx, altho it is a 120 front as opposed to 110 it would work, odd looking tires and they don't tell you anything about them on the dunlop website

If you look a the specs that 120 is only as wide as a 110. That is whats so screwed up about this whole thing.  Using them calculators 110mm = 4.33", 120mm = 4.72". That Dunflop 120 is only 4.37 inches wide according to their site back when the posted it. Its only .04 wider than a 110 and no where near 120. It is designed for a 3.0" wheel the Connie has. It is designed for the Connie.  So yes that one fits. -- Problem is now the manual says 120, people see 120 and go buy 120 radial tires that are higher performance, newer design, etc. All these regular 120 radial tires are 4.7x in size and designed for 3.5" wheel min.  -- So essentially Mamma K screwed us all up by spec'ing and getting Dunlop to produce this bastardized tire.
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline Old OutLaw

• "Jist havin' Fun...."
  • Bicycle
  • Still Learning.....
  • COG#: 12052
« Reply #378 on: June 07, 2015, 03:17:34 pm »
am curious if any of you have tried the Michelin Commander II's on BOTH ends.....
they make a 130/70x18 for the front, and I'm wondering if these would slow down and take the
wind wobbles - wandering on the road groove  wiggles out of the Connie..... I know it would be an
oversize tire for the front, and have read that it would help some...?

bike is a '95 so it has the wider front wheel....

I'm old (67), and am not going very fast around the corners anymore.... I should add that I'll be carrying my Wife of 47 years with me sometimes, so stability is paramount....if it was slow and predictable, I'd be happy ?

whaddya think ?

Skip
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:30:37 pm by Old OutLaw »
"Skip"   -   Cog #  12052

1995 Connie ... had 41,000 when I got it.....  46,000 now, and Delkevic 14", free power mod, K&N, Irridium plugs, Madstad 'screen, bar risers, 12v outlet....

"Do, or Do not, there is no try....".... Yoda from Star Wars....

Offline RodWpg

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #379 on: June 07, 2015, 09:05:26 pm »
130 on the front has been said by wiser men than I, that the bike drives poorly.

Offline ACISROC

• Coordinator for the" Help A Cogger Out" thread.
  • Iron Butt
  • Red C-10 called Diablo
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11845
« Reply #380 on: June 07, 2015, 09:40:01 pm »
am curious if any of you have tried the Michelin Commander II's on BOTH ends.....
they make a 130/70x18 for the front, and I'm wondering if these would slow down and take the
wind wobbles - wandering on the road groove  wiggles out of the Connie..... I know it would be an

I'm old (67), and am not going very fast around the corners anymore.... I should add that I'll be carrying my Wife of 47 years with me sometimes, so stability is paramount....if it was slow and predictable, I'd be happy ?

whaddya think ?

Skip
                      I put those on my old 87 750 Vulcan- the only thing on the bike I liked-the stator eating piece of junk
There are "Bold Riders" and their are "Old Riders" but their are very few "OLD BOLD RIDERS"
 2003 C-10, C.O.G.Member#11845, A.T.G.A.T.T.
SW Chapter "Bold Riders" Retired Scout 12%er

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #381 on: June 07, 2015, 10:30:46 pm »
I had a Commander II on the rear, real scary on wet corners. They slip out way too easy. I could nail it on wet roads going straight, though.

I whined to Michelin about it and they refunded my $$.  :great:
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #382 on: June 08, 2015, 12:31:47 am »

whaddya think ?

Skip

On the forum a 130/70-18 and 160/80-16 are referred to as Wing size tires as those are what a GL1500 call for. And the GL1500 has the same size front and rear wheels as the Connie. So a 130/70-18 in a bias ply tire is designed for and fits the 3.0 inch rim just fine. You will have to pull 2 of the fender bolts on one side to slide the tire up and into place. One there the fender bolts can go back in and has all the right clearance.

As mentioned the 130/70 will steer slower. It will take more pressure on the bars to get them to steer. I will take 1-2 days to get used to, and then you wont even realize it any more. Saying they "drive poorly" all depends on your priorities. They will do exactly what you want. They will help a lot with decal wobble, stability, tracking on grooves and tar snakes, wind wobbles, etc. For most they make the inaccurate speedo accurate. Using Wing Tars front and rear, the bike will be easier to get on the center stand, lean over more when in the side stand, raise your seat height about 1/2 inch.

Overall since you are not running the corners hard, ride 2 up regular and stability factor is your top priority,  I think a set of Wing Size tires would be a great choice for you.

Which ones is the question. ME880's and Commanders have had complains about wet weather traction. But that is also from a more SPORT/touring crowd. Probably not an issue for the more sport/TOURING oriented rider.  Dunlop Elite 3's are posta handle fine in the wet. I rode a Connie with them for a 1/2 day once and they steer slower like the ME880's did. But from those who have tried them they do fine in the wet. Note these are bias ply E3's for GL1500 not radial E3's for GL1800. There are other GL1500 tires as well.  For a while Michelin made the much loved Pilot GT specifically for the GL1500 and people loved them on the Connie. I tried a set and for Wing tires they were the best of the bunch. And worked great in the rain. Too bad these are not around anymore.
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline Old OutLaw

• "Jist havin' Fun...."
  • Bicycle
  • Still Learning.....
« Reply #383 on: June 08, 2015, 01:04:36 am »
Well....allrighty then, Mushlin's it is.....

I've always liked mich's anyhow, on a truck, (Big Rig), they are about the ONLY tire
that is actually Round, and they also take much less weight to balance.....I run them
on everything I own, and sounds like they will be just the ticket for me Connfabulation...

I don't ride atall in the rain, so that's notaproblemmo....

Thanks Gents, I sure do 'preciate the info..... now, if only ya'll could cure me low RPM blues....

*SIGH* ....

Skip

1995 Connie ... had 41,000 when I got it.....  46,000 now, and Delkevic 14", free power mod, K&N, Irridium plugs, Madstad 'screen, bar risers, 12v outlet....

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #384 on: June 08, 2015, 02:45:32 pm »
now, if only ya'll could cure me low RPM blues....

Probably carb passages, or pilot jetts stopped up.

Contact Steve!! (Shouldaben Engineering)
He can clean and rebuild carbs and add the 2 minute jet kit (for better response)
   (He also sells parts to improve low end power)...

Do that, and Problem solved......

Ride safe, Ted

Now, back to tarrrrs,,,,,,,,,
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #385 on: June 09, 2015, 08:33:46 pm »
Well....allrighty then, Mushlin's it is.....

I've always liked mich's anyhow, on a truck, (Big Rig), they are about the ONLY tire
that is actually Round, and they also take much less weight to balance.....I run them
on everything I own, and sounds like they will be just the ticket for me Connfabulation...

I don't ride atall in the rain, so that's notaproblemmo....

Thanks Gents, I sure do 'preciate the info..... now, if only ya'll could cure me low RPM blues....

*SIGH* ....

Skip

Note that last sentence. The much loved Michelin Pilot GT's for the GL1500 are no longer made. At least last I heard.  I also have a GL1800 in addition to the Connie and was looking at tires the other day. Something I spotted while looking was the Dunlop Elite 3's for the GL1500 were redesigned not too long ago and getting good reviews from that crowd. I don't know of anyone on the C10 using the new E3's for the GL1500. Not talked about that much any more.
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline RodWpg

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #386 on: June 09, 2015, 09:20:58 pm »
I have the E3 on the front and will be switching it to the dunlop roadsmart II at the end of the month as it comes in 110 size....e3 only in 130, I thought I had an E3 on the back, but it does not come in the correct size either and it turns out mine is a E3 'BIAS' ...not radial but it does come in correct size

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #387 on: June 10, 2015, 10:18:37 pm »
The E3's for a GL1500 are bias ply tires. The E3's for the GL1800 are radials. My observation while out looking at GL1800 tires was the GL1500 E3's have a fairly recent redesign of the tire. And they are getting good reviews. --  A GL1500 has the same exact size wheels front and rear as the C10. So any set of tires that are designed for a GL1500, albeit bias ply tires, will fit the C10 wheels and be within the tire specifications. No its not the size listed in the C10 manual, but they fit and have no clearance problems other than removing the fender bolts to get the installed. They have their advantages and disadvantages. For Old Outlaw it seems the advantages are items he has high on the priority list, and the disadvantages he is willing to live with. Sounds like a good choice for him.
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline Old OutLaw

• "Jist havin' Fun...."
  • Bicycle
  • Still Learning.....
« Reply #388 on: June 11, 2015, 02:32:50 am »
yep, the "Disadvantages"  are only Diss's if they impact the way you ride.....

the Michelin Commanders are heavier tires and should give more stability because of the increased
Gyroscopic effect also....

and the rear is a "B" spec rated tire, which will work well when carrying the Wife.

Win - Win.... and Michelin Quality...  Win.

Skip

Offline Old OutLaw

• "Jist havin' Fun...."
  • Bicycle
  • Still Learning.....
« Reply #389 on: June 12, 2015, 08:09:12 pm »
Well, I recieved the Michelin Commander II Front tire today, got it mounted, and
test rode the bike.....slowed down the steering nicely, got rid of the "riding around
on a sheet of Ice" feeling that the front end had, still corners better'n I can ride, and
it's a LOT smoother, and more stable in crosswinds and the turbulence found behind
trucks on the Freeway.....I like it a lot......

when I get the corresponding Commander II tire on the rear, I think it's gonna be Wondermuss .....

thanks for all the input guys, it helped a lot !

Skip 

Offline ACISROC

• Iron Butt
  • Red C-10 called Diablo
« Reply #390 on: June 12, 2015, 08:15:52 pm »
 Ride on Old Outlaw!  I am sure you will like it just as much on the back too! :great:
There are "Bold Riders" and their are "Old Riders" but their are very few "OLD BOLD RIDERS"

Offline Old OutLaw

• "Jist havin' Fun...."
  • Bicycle
  • Still Learning.....
« Reply #391 on: June 13, 2015, 12:27:29 am »
Well, I sure hope so.....be nice to have the back one also improve the stability a
bit, as this bike is still a bit on the goofy side....I did get down on all fours and
took a good look at the rear, and it's definitely cupped a bit too.....

I also just walked back in the house after changing that stupid tank Valve over
to a manual valve....no mo vacuum operated whatchaMacallits for me.....that's
what's wrong with this world nowadays, everybody, (well, MOST everbody),
wants things to work with no effort....where's the fun in that ?? ...now it's more
in line with my "Old School"  way of wanting things...

she ain't gonna leak no mo.....   :great:

Skip

Offline Old OutLaw

• "Jist havin' Fun...."
  • Bicycle
  • Still Learning.....
« Reply #392 on: June 25, 2015, 12:49:03 pm »
UPDATE :

finally got the rear tire on, and all I can say is WOW !  what a difference.....much
more stable in the crosswinds - turbulance....still corners very well, much less "Turn
in" doesn't try to fall in to the corner, lot more predictable...and somehow, it's still
light and "Flickable" thru the twisties....Love these Commanders.

P.S.  best price I found was Jake Wilson....excellent, fast service too.

Thanks

Skip

Offline ACISROC

• Iron Butt
  • Red C-10 called Diablo
« Reply #393 on: June 25, 2015, 07:18:30 pm »
 Good for you old outlaw,
                                       If your ever near forest grove give me a shout, I'll let you ride mine to try out the Pirelli's , We can do the twisties at Hagg Lake,
                     Steve

Offline Old OutLaw

• "Jist havin' Fun...."
  • Bicycle
  • Still Learning.....
« Reply #394 on: June 25, 2015, 10:37:14 pm »
sounds like fun, but I don't go very fast anymore LOL....at 68 years young,
I have gotten over it..... Almost anyhow

Skip

Offline ACISROC

• Iron Butt
  • Red C-10 called Diablo
« Reply #395 on: June 25, 2015, 10:47:13 pm »
sounds like fun, but I don't go very fast anymore LOL....at 68 years young,
I have gotten over it..... Almost anyhow

Skip

I am like a spring chicken-54 years old LOL :) I also like to go slow too, or the speed limit 3/4 of the time.

Offline CBX-Bob

• Scooter
  • COG#: 11241
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #396 on: June 26, 2015, 01:34:55 am »
2 year,  2002 C-10 owner, after buying the bike from the original owner with 14,000 miles both tires needed replacing, went with Bridgestone BT-45's. Wasn't hip to the Radial/Bias thing. Front was a 110/70-18 (correct is 120/70-18) Rear 150/80-16. Seemed fine, handled OK, wore fast.  Replaced both at 6+ K miles. Went with stock Dunlop front, and Shinko 230 150/80-16 (bias) rear. Felt good, But after 2500 miles rear looked like it might not go another 3K anticipated for the trip to, and back from the Nationals. So dismounted the 230, and mounted the Shinko 777HD (bias). Handled way better than the Bridgestone's, felt about the same as Dunlop front, 230  rear. but the 777HD,  after 2980 miles looks like it will do another 6K. Not bad! But after riding with (Island) Bob Rainey for 300 + miles during the Nationals, my next set of tires will be: Michelin Pilot Road 4 front (correct size) and Shinko SE890 160/80-16 rear (both radials).  Because every time we stopped to rest, or take pictures Bob said "Man, I like these tires!"  This is his 5th C-10.  Good enough for me  :great:
Oh, I've got 25,840 on her now, I love my C-10, when I wear it out I'll get another  :motonoises:
2002 Connie, 82 CBX Nakid, 82 CBX Dressed

Offline RodWpg

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #397 on: July 01, 2015, 02:53:26 am »
Dunlop roadsmart II 110/80ZR18 front tire (radial)......I put one on today and have been riding all night, very very pleased. Dunlop Elite 3 Bias on back 160/80B16.

Had a dunlop elite3 radial on the front, but it was a 130....came on the bike,have used it 2 1/2 seasons.....glad to switch to a 110 size.

I have been wrestling with this bike for 2 1/2 seasons at low speeds, I'm talking mostly about doing right hand turns from a stop, pulling away when the light turns type situation. I figured it was cause I was getting old and fat....which I am, but switching to a 110 helps.

The bike has a much lighter feel to it.

Haven't been out on the highway much yet but it would have to be pretty terrible for me to change my mind.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 11:32:01 pm by RodWpg »

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #398 on: July 01, 2015, 08:32:03 pm »
I love my C-10, when I wear it out I'll get another  :motonoises:

:a102:   You can wear them out?   
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #399 on: July 02, 2015, 08:55:23 pm »
I love my C-10, when I wear it out I'll get another  :motonoises:

:a102:   You can wear them out?

Probably only another 200,000+ miles to go.  :great:
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold