Author Topic: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?  (Read 187529 times)

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
Re: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?
« Reply #400 on: July 03, 2015, 02:21:23 am »
I love my C-10, when I wear it out I'll get another  :motonoises:

:a102:   You can wear them out?

Probably only another 200,000+ miles to go.  :great:

Oh, so it takes a looooooong time.   :great:
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline FastRocket

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #401 on: July 09, 2015, 09:14:29 am »
Just had 2 new Dunlops installed . Wow ! What a dif . I could feel the differance just by rilling the bike forward from the bike shop . Bike also feels lighter now . Super smooth inthe city . Can't wait to get on the highway ...

:great:
2003 Concours
1990 EX 500 Track Bike/1986 GPZ 550
1986 GPZ 550/1978 KE 175
 1975 H1-F 500
1974 H1-F 500

Offline FastRocket

• Bicycle
« Reply #402 on: July 13, 2015, 10:19:20 pm »
So I went on the highway and did a run on my new dunlops . Fricken bike is a death trap from 40 mph to 70 mph . After that the speed wobble stops///mostly  . Just wasted $600 bucks . Tire store place said they were the best tires for my bike ... Not a happy camper

:-[
2003 Concours
1986 GPZ 550/1978 KE 175
 1975 H1-F 500
1974 H1-F 500

Offline ACISROC

• Coordinator for the" Help A Cogger Out" thread.
  • Iron Butt
  • Red C-10 called Diablo
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11845
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #403 on: July 13, 2015, 10:33:42 pm »
  Sorry Fast Rocket.
                             It pays to do the research. I did it for my "03" c-10 and I did it for my tires. I am very happy with a matched set of Pirelli Sport Demons at 2300 miles on them. I had Dunlops on my old Vulcan and they were crap. They came on my Concours and were crap. My buddy has them on his Harley (new) and he is replacing them. They slide all over and forget the bridge grates.
There are "Bold Riders" and their are "Old Riders" but their are very few "OLD BOLD RIDERS"
 2003 C-10, C.O.G.Member#11845, A.T.G.A.T.T.
SW Chapter "Bold Riders" Retired Scout 12%er

Offline RodWpg

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #404 on: July 13, 2015, 10:40:49 pm »
I am happy with the roadsmart II front e3b back.....Dunlops, I'm guessing you didn't use those?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 11:29:35 pm by RodWpg »
2003 concours winnipeg manitoba canada

Offline Zorlac

• Crotch Rocket
  • Bulletproof, eh? I'll be the judge of that!
  • COG#: 6962
« Reply #405 on: July 14, 2015, 09:38:50 am »
So I went on the highway and did a run on my new dunlops . Fricken bike is a death trap from 40 mph to 70 mph . After that the speed wobble stops///mostly  . Just wasted $600 bucks . Tire store place said they were the best tires for my bike ... Not a happy camper  :-[
The OEM Dunlops have never really gotten rave reviews. "a death trap from 40 mph to 70 mph" Did they balance them properly?
COG #6962

Offline delling3

• Road Bike
  • 2nd Time Around
  • COG#: 11850
« Reply #406 on: July 14, 2015, 02:25:13 pm »
My "new to me" 1995 C-10 came with a freshly installed set of stock Dunlops.  I would not say that they are the most confidence inspiring tire I have ridden on, but I don't have any feeling of a "death trap".  The bike handles the turns with no issue.  Tends to be a little squirmmy on the interstate, but not really noticable until above 70MPH.   I am not certain it is a tire issue, or the fairing and all the frontal area moving thru turbulent air.  I would take the bike back to the tire shop and have them fix it.  I know there are better tire choices out there, but nothing about the Dunlops strike me as being what you describe.   
Chris Delling
2006 Concours, risers, knee savers, throttlemeister, Murph's grips,  23" Clearview, KB fork brace, SISF's carbs, 2MM, and advanced exhaust cam gear, 7th gear, Spoofak.  Waiting in the wings:   McCruise Cruise Control.

Only dead fish go with the flow . . .

Offline VisionDonNebr

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11206
« Reply #407 on: July 14, 2015, 09:30:49 pm »
Just put 6k on a set of the "original Dunlop's" can't say I had any problems with them, putting new skins on shortly however PR3 and 777 shinko, sure disappointing that "radial" tires on a bike do not seem to mean longer life as on a car, or is this more because of the size of our tires, could Kawasaki have done a better job on the C10 original tires size?  Well, can't wait to see how the new combination will handle, hope I get a bit more mileage out of that combination

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #408 on: July 14, 2015, 11:00:21 pm »
Just put 6k on a set of the "original Dunlop's" can't say I had any problems with them, putting new skins on shortly however PR3 and 777 shinko, sure disappointing that "radial" tires on a bike do not seem to mean longer life as on a car, or is this more because of the size of our tires, could Kawasaki have done a better job on the C10 original tires size?  Well, can't wait to see how the new combination will handle, hope I get a bit more mileage out of that combination

Yer really gonna like that new combo. I'm on my fifth or sixth set of PR3 and 777's
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline nic1965

• Tricycle
  • NewConnie
  • COG#: 11862
« Reply #409 on: July 22, 2015, 03:26:45 am »
I finally decided to try Michelin.
PilotRoad3 and Commander 2 in stock sizes.
So that's a premium sport touring front radial / reinforced cruiser rear bias combo.
Excited to be rid of Metzler ME junk. Nervous about this expensive choice.
Updates to follow.
Tires are mounted and look great, PR3 front required NO weights to balance, Commander2 rear needed 3 chicklets.
no dots on the tires to line up valve stems, the shop foreman said the better made tires don't need them anymore...the front tire will loose a few pounds of air between rides, might have to have it remounted,,,
After 2 short rides and 2 afternoon rides, I'm happy. Bike handles great with no wobble or headshake. Have not been out in the rain yet tho.
Okay, I had some down time, blew a fork seal and could not find fork bushings...they where right under my nose...race tech makes them, I bought mine at Canada's Motorcycle. Anyways the front wheel is back on.
The PR3 is holding it's pressure now, only had to adjust twice.
Big Red Connie is fast and smooth on the back roads. I am so happy with the bike's handling and traction. My decel wobble is gone , I even sat up straight for a stretch and shocked myself by going a bit "no handed".
Now here is the problem...I was riding in the rain to Port Renfrew BC , that is a curvy coastal road, bridges are 1 lane...the rear Commander 2 was easy to break loose accelerating out of corners. I dialed it back a notch just to be safe. I guess i will be taking it easy in the rain till rear tire is worn enough to swap out. I have been hearing good things about Shinko Journey SE890. I did not choose this radial tire before because it's closest size is 160/80R16, but I have read that this size works well on a C10.
Once again the PR3 & Commando 2 combo is great on dry or damp roads, remarkably better than my old Marathons. A little touchy in the rain tho.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #410 on: July 23, 2015, 01:00:14 am »
I finally decided to try Michelin.
PilotRoad3 and Commander 2 in stock sizes.
So that's a premium sport touring front radial / reinforced cruiser rear bias combo.
Excited to be rid of Metzler ME junk. Nervous about this expensive choice.
Updates to follow.
Tires are mounted and look great, PR3 front required NO weights to balance, Commander2 rear needed 3 chicklets.
no dots on the tires to line up valve stems, the shop foreman said the better made tires don't need them anymore...the front tire will loose a few pounds of air between rides, might have to have it remounted,,,
After 2 short rides and 2 afternoon rides, I'm happy. Bike handles great with no wobble or headshake. Have not been out in the rain yet tho.
Okay, I had some down time, blew a fork seal and could not find fork bushings...they where right under my nose...race tech makes them, I bought mine at Canada's Motorcycle. Anyways the front wheel is back on.
The PR3 is holding it's pressure now, only had to adjust twice.
Big Red Connie is fast and smooth on the back roads. I am so happy with the bike's handling and traction. My decel wobble is gone , I even sat up straight for a stretch and shocked myself by going a bit "no handed".
Now here is the problem...I was riding in the rain to Port Renfrew BC , that is a curvy coastal road, bridges are 1 lane...the rear Commander 2 was easy to break loose accelerating out of corners. I dialed it back a notch just to be safe. I guess i will be taking it easy in the rain till rear tire is worn enough to swap out. I have been hearing good things about Shinko Journey SE890. I did not choose this radial tire before because it's closest size is 160/80R16, but I have read that this size works well on a C10.
Once again the PR3 & Commando 2 combo is great on dry or damp roads, remarkably better than my old Marathons. A little touchy in the rain tho.

I had the same issue with theCommanderII. I didn't wait for it to wear out, I pulled it almost immediately after slipping out on wet corners. I followed that with two Shinko 890's that were out of round enough to bounce the bike. Went to Shinko777 in stock size, happy camper. It is slightly larger in diameter than other 150 tires, I lost about 200 rpm at 80mph.

I did pester Michelin about the lack of traction on the Commander, they send me a refund check for the full price of the tire once I showed them that I destroyed the tire.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

Offline MichiGlenn

• Road Bike
  • "Wherever you are, be all there" Jim Elliot
  • COG#: 10892
« Reply #411 on: July 27, 2015, 11:22:53 pm »
Does anyone have experience with the Bridgestone Exedra Max?  P/O had them on my 2001. Seem to handle well enough, but I have nothing to compare them to. 120/70ZR18 front, 150/80/B16 rear. Probably due to replace at the end of the riding season.  Bike has 17750 miles, so I assume it's her second set after factory Dunlops. Don't have a reason to change brands, but no reason not to. Any thoughts?
2001 C-10
1977 Honda CB750K Sold
1978 Honda CB750K Long Gone
1972 Honda CL175 Ancient History
Heald Super Tryke 8hp, Wards T555 Trike

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #412 on: July 29, 2015, 09:02:14 pm »
Does anyone have experience with the Bridgestone Exedra Max?  P/O had them on my 2001. Seem to handle well enough, but I have nothing to compare them to. 120/70ZR18 front, 150/80/B16 rear. Probably due to replace at the end of the riding season.  Bike has 17750 miles, so I assume it's her second set after factory Dunlops. Don't have a reason to change brands, but no reason not to. Any thoughts?

One thought, use a 110/80x18 up front. It matches up with the rim size better than a 120/70. And they handle much better than a 120 or 130/70. Pretty much everybody makes decent rubber in this size. I am on my fifth or sixth Michelin PR3. I tried a Pirelli Angel GT up front, loved the tire but it made a bit of a weird howl, not loud, just there. I'v also heard good on the Dunlop Roadsmart. I'm not a fan of Avon(recent history reinforced that feeling) but some folks like 'em.

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
« Reply #413 on: August 09, 2015, 07:36:13 pm »
  Sorry Fast Rocket.
                             It pays to do the research. I did it for my "03" c-10 and I did it for my tires. I am very happy with a matched set of Pirelli Sport Demons at 2300 miles on them. I had Dunlops on my old Vulcan and they were crap. They came on my Concours and were crap. My buddy has them on his Harley (new) and he is replacing them. They slide all over and forget the bridge grates.

Still liking the SD's?
I'm probably 2000 miles from the wear bars on my Wing sized E3's but the date code says I'm riding 9 yr old tires. I saw the Sport Demon's on sale  at BikeBandit for $234.94 shipped so decided a switch was in order. Seems like it's hard to go wrong at that price.

Offline ACISROC

• Iron Butt
  • Red C-10 called Diablo
« Reply #414 on: August 09, 2015, 11:25:14 pm »
mnbikeguy,
                  Yes I am still loving them. That is a great price. My buddy is going to put them on his 1200 Nightster Harley. but he rides his like a sportbike LOL

mnbikeguy is cool  :great: :great: :great:
There are "Bold Riders" and their are "Old Riders" but their are very few "OLD BOLD RIDERS"

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
« Reply #415 on: August 14, 2015, 02:48:49 am »
mnbikeguy,
                  Yes I am still loving them. That is a great price. My buddy is going to put them on his 1200 Nightster Harley. but he rides his like a sportbike LOL

mnbikeguy is cool  :great: :great: :great:

Cool. Mounted and balanced them yesterday and rode to work per usual. Still taking it gentle until they are scuffed in before I lean too hard. Going back to stock size from the wing size sure makes a difference! lightened up the handling pretty significantly.

ACISROC is cool  :great: :great: :great:

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #416 on: August 14, 2015, 01:56:48 pm »
Ok, didn't see this in the previous notes. Are the Pirelli Sport Demons (in stock sizes) Radial tires?

Ride safe,Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Edward

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10829
« Reply #417 on: August 14, 2015, 02:06:07 pm »
Cross-ply? (X-Ply)

http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/motorcycle/sheet/sport_demon.html?url=%3Fsubtype%3Droad

I have a set of these in the garage waiting to go on.

Offline mnbikeguy

• Moped
« Reply #418 on: August 15, 2015, 03:31:13 pm »
Ok, didn't see this in the previous notes. Are the Pirelli Sport Demons (in stock sizes) Radial tires?

Ride safe,Ted

They are not radial tires but they do come in stock sizes. I've put a couple of hundred on them already both slab and some twisties. They exceed my expectations at this point. Only time will tell on miles but assuming I get even 5000 from a set I'll be happy at the price point since I mount and balance them myself. If I was paying $80 to have them mounted and balanced I'd want more miles.

Offline ACISROC

• Iron Butt
  • Red C-10 called Diablo
« Reply #419 on: August 15, 2015, 05:43:17 pm »
+1^^^^^
               I got 2500 on mine and expect at least that with the hooligan riding I do sometimes. I am impressed with mine, still chicken strips on them. :beerchug:

Offline FastRocket

• Bicycle
« Reply #420 on: September 05, 2015, 07:19:27 am »
So I went on the highway and did a run on my new dunlops . Fricken bike is a death trap from 40 mph to 70 mph . After that the speed wobble stops///mostly  . Just wasted $600 bucks . Tire store place said they were the best tires for my bike ... Not a happy camper

:-[

Spoke to soon . Got it all figured out . Working amazingly well now . Tire pressures were incorrect and adjusted front forks and reduced rear shock to #2 instead of 3 . Very nice to ride now ...

;)
2003 Concours
1986 GPZ 550/1978 KE 175
 1975 H1-F 500
1974 H1-F 500

Offline ACISROC

• Iron Butt
  • Red C-10 called Diablo
« Reply #421 on: September 06, 2015, 01:34:41 am »
Good to hear FastRocket :)

FastRocket is cool  :great: :great: :great:

Offline Pilot

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 11324
« Reply #422 on: September 07, 2015, 05:00:53 pm »
I had luck out COOPER TIRE just came out with new radials for c 10.  16 in rear, last sept 2014 not a lot of dealers have them probably all by now.  ordered from west coast deliver to dealer in kileen tx,  to put on my 1995 connie.  in front AVON AV65 STORM 3D XM ( EXTRA MILAGE) 110/80ZR18  STICK VERY GOOD ALL WX  HAD UP TO 115 MPH FOR OVER AN HOUR.  ON REAR  AVON AV66 STORM 3D XM  150/80/ZR16.  ABOUT 375.00 FOR BOTH.  SO FOR NO WEAR SHOWING 5000+ MILES!  GREAT RADIAL CAN REALLY DRAG PEGS IF YOU WANT.

Offline DannyS_WA

• Mini Bike
  • Riding since 1972 Vietnam Vet 71-72 US Army 70-73
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #423 on: November 16, 2015, 10:17:20 pm »
I have had a set of Shinko 890 Journey tires for a little over 5000 miles and I like them a lot. Got them from Bike Bandit. If they last like they are advertised I will get another set when it comes time to replace them.

Offline Zorlac

• Crotch Rocket
  • Bulletproof, eh? I'll be the judge of that!
  • COG#: 6962
« Reply #424 on: November 18, 2015, 10:09:23 am »
Got them from Bike Bandit.
FWIW, I ordered a PR3 front & a 777 rear from BB and had them the NEXT DAY:motonoises:
COG #6962