Author Topic: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?  (Read 194444 times)

Offline RJSutherland

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Re: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C10?
« Reply #450 on: April 19, 2016, 09:08:40 pm »
after reading dozens (or hundreds) of tire posts on here last summer both me and my C10 riding neighbor have switched to PR3 fronts and 777 rears.  Working great for the first 3000 miles I've got on them and they're looking to last way longer than the stock Dunlops.

Well, after reading a zillion posts, surfing the Internet until I got seasick and looking through old records, I just ordered the PR3 from BikeBandit and will buy the Shinko 777 from the Bike Stop in Cleveland, GA, and have them put both tires on. :great:

Just don't have the heart to buy another set of Avon 3D-XMs after seeing the steel belts exposed on the rear after 6,500 miles. :truce:

I'll let you know next year how it worked out.

Just hard to disagree with such a strong recommendation from SISF. :)

Thanks,

RJSutherland
Do no evil.
Return no evil.
Fear no evil.

Kawasaki 440 LTD
Honda 750 Custom
Kawasaki 750 LTD
2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800-A
2005 Kawasaki Concours C-10

Offline cowie

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #451 on: April 20, 2016, 06:03:13 am »
Hey guys ...just got a 06 conine and she needs rubber bad.

I'm not looking for anything imparticular. My biggest  concern is cost. What's the best bang for buck setup for my 06? Bt-45s?

Is going with the 110 80 18 on the front better then the stock size? Doesn't destort like factory size?

Is the factory rear size good to stick with? 150 80 16

Thanks for any input.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #452 on: April 20, 2016, 03:54:17 pm »
The Commander works very well until you try to give it just a little, emphasis little, gas on a wet corner. At least that was my experience.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline RJSutherland

• Moped
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #453 on: April 27, 2016, 05:04:38 pm »
At the Bike Stop in Cleveland, GA, having Ed install new tires.  Michelin radial PR on the front and the Shinko 777 bias on the rear.  Hate mixing radial/bias tires.

Double-checked this thread.  This seems to be the most popular combo.  A bit concerned about how the bike will handle in the mountains.
Do no evil.
Return no evil.
Fear no evil.

Kawasaki 440 LTD
Honda 750 Custom
Kawasaki 750 LTD
2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800-A
2005 Kawasaki Concours C-10

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #454 on: April 27, 2016, 05:41:48 pm »
Many use a radial/bias combo.
Should be fine.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline DannyS_WA

• Mini Bike
  • Riding since 1972 Vietnam Vet 71-72 US Army 70-73
« Reply #455 on: April 27, 2016, 06:03:21 pm »
The 777 now comes with a reflective sidewall imbedded into it. Shows up black during the day but reflects white at night when lights shine on it. Nice little safety bit.

Offline debugjaws

• Tricycle
« Reply #456 on: May 11, 2016, 06:43:13 pm »
Even though there's a gazillion replies to this topic, I've gotta add my two cents. After hitting an icy curve with Michelin Commander 2's, dumping my bike in February, settling up with the insurance company and fixing all of the plastics (unbelievably expensive!), I decided it was time for some new tires. I removed the Michelin Commander II's, which weren't bad, but wanted to go with radials. I put on Avon Storm 3-D XM's and experienced significant "Ball-Bearing Dance" syndrome (look it up on this forum - it's for real!). I could rationalize fear of ice since I had just experienced it ... but never fear of the tires. That was ridiculous. I don't care how few tire manufacturers there are out there that produce radial tires for this bike. Supporting them at the cost of injury or even life is not worth it.

So I invested in the Mean Streak 17" conversion (see tech pages) and put Michelin PR4 GT's on (170/60 ZR 17 on the rear, stock size on the front). HOLY COW!!! IMHO, if not the best, this is for sure one of the best performance mods to be done on this bike! A little spendy? Yeah - especially since I pulled off the Avon's with less than a thousand miles on them. But what is your safety worth? Oh, and what is the fun of the added performance worth? In conjunction, I live in Oregon - it rains A LOT(!!!) here. The PR4's are made for that. I only find it unfortunate that these are not out there yet for my GL1800 Goldwing, 'cause I'd put them on today!

Offline MBrew

• Bicycle
« Reply #457 on: May 11, 2016, 08:10:14 pm »
... I put on Avon Storm 3-D XM's and experienced significant "Ball-Bearing Dance" syndrome (look it up on this forum - it's for real!).....

What size did you have on the front with the Storm 3d's? Good luck with the mean streak. I'd like to do it, but I don't think I'll ever be able to.
Mike Brewster
'01 Kawasaki KLR 650
'00 Suzuki DR-Z400
'95 Kawasaki Concours
Former  '82 Yamaha XJ650R Seca       '74 Kawasaki H1 500

Offline Edward

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10829
« Reply #458 on: May 12, 2016, 12:37:13 pm »
Reporting back on the Pirelli Sport Demons I put on last November. Stock sizes.

Tires were never that great and as they wore, the bike handled more and more like a truck. I got just about 5000 miles on the set and was worried about all kinds of problems with my suspension until I put new tires on.

Bike handles like a dream again, I forgot how easy this bike is to throw around when it's handling properly.

Shinko 777HD/Mich PR3 Combo. After trying Avons, Pirelli and this combination, we have a winner for sure. At least until the MeanStreak conversion happens...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 03:13:23 am by Ed Mac »

Offline debugjaws

• Tricycle
« Reply #459 on: May 12, 2016, 01:51:49 pm »
... I put on Avon Storm 3-D XM's and experienced significant "Ball-Bearing Dance" syndrome (look it up on this forum - it's for real!).....

What size did you have on the front with the Storm 3d's? Good luck with the mean streak. I'd like to do it, but I don't think I'll ever be able to.

120/70ZR18. Bike handles great now, even through the squiggly rubberized junk they put on roads to seal the cracks.

Offline frenche

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12332
« Reply #460 on: June 01, 2016, 03:57:02 am »
Great thread. Lots of useful info. Thanks, guys.

Offline Garrett

• Tricycle
« Reply #461 on: July 19, 2016, 08:44:23 pm »
The C10 came with radials, so if you want it to be like it came from the factory get radials front and back. Or you could go Bias front and back. They both have their own characteristics. Study that to know. I have used Avons. There good but where out kind of faster than some but stick good in the curves. I made the mistake of buying a bias rear and having a radial front which is a no-no. I didn't know that when I did it. From what I have learned you can go bias front/radial rear and that is supposedly OK. I have it in reverse radial front and bias rear, and I corner hard and I haven't noticed any difference. On top of that just Sunday I noticed  that the shop that installed my front tire installed the front one backwards meaning the arrow does not go forward. That would have bad effects in the rain which I avoid whenever I can.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #462 on: July 19, 2016, 09:13:00 pm »
just Sunday I noticed  that the shop that installed my front tire installed the front one backwards meaning the arrow does not go forward. That would have bad effects in the rain which I avoid whenever I can.

has very little to do with rain... it's about strength of the belt windings, and which direction offers the correct transfer of energy to the road, without damaging the casing...
so in the case of front tire directional notation, it's about transferring grip during hard braking...while limiting stress on the belts..preventing them from loosening in the molded rubber, and failing. Also to reduce heat buildup.
sooo, just how long/how many miles have you had it like that?
I'd suggest you attend to that and have it fixed right now.
ride safe...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #463 on: July 20, 2016, 01:15:33 am »
The C10 came with radials, so if you want it to be like it came from the factory get radials front and back. Or you could go Bias front and back. They both have their own characteristics. Study that to know. I have used Avons. There good but where out kind of faster than some but stick good in the curves. I made the mistake of buying a bias rear and having a radial front which is a no-no. I didn't know that when I did it. From what I have learned you can go bias front/radial rear and that is supposedly OK. I have it in reverse radial front and bias rear, and I corner hard and I haven't noticed any difference. On top of that just Sunday I noticed  that the shop that installed my front tire installed the front one backwards meaning the arrow does not go forward. That would have bad effects in the rain which I avoid whenever I can.

Funny, I'm on about my tenth bias rear and eighth radial front.  I don't seem to have handling issues. Put the bike on a line for a corner, it stays there. No drama. And I do drag a peg from time to time. Just don't run a 120/70 on he front, it's too big. A 110/80 fits perfectly.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 02:31:48 am by SteveJ. »
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #464 on: July 20, 2016, 01:31:55 am »
yeah Steve, but you put your tires on with the arrows going the correct direction.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :lol_hitting: :bravo_2: :pokestick: :85: :08: :a012:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #465 on: August 05, 2016, 03:19:46 am »
I have run and others too with no issues and it handles real well.  Radial in front and bias on the rear. 
There is nothing wrong with that setup.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit 100+HP  + way more torque.
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Mike

• Bicycle
« Reply #466 on: September 19, 2016, 09:02:23 pm »

120/70ZR18. Bike handles great now, even through the squiggly rubberized junk they put on roads to seal the cracks.
debugjaws,
I also put a set of Avons on in Feb 2015 and couldn't ride over 60 mph without dying from feeling like I was driving on ball bearings, the second set did the same. Thru this forum I was told the sad story of Kawasaki and Dunlop sizing a tire bigger than it actually was. 120/70 18 OEM Dunlop measures closer to a 110/80 18, Even Avon got tricked. The front wheel is 3" wide, not wide enough for a 120/70. I left the rear Avon on and replaced the front Avon with a 110/80 18 and it help a lot but something was still wrong like less ball bearings. About a thousand miles later, it happened. It was so bad I couldn't ride it at all. I put it on the centerstand and turned the rear tire. The center of the tire wiggled like a snake. It had bad belts. As for the front 110/80, it cupped so bad it felt and sounded like off road mud tires. I used to be an Avon man but have left the fold. I'm with Steve on everything he says but I still like trying to finding my own road. You don't have to change to 17" wheels, there are some good tires out there and don't be afraid of radial front and or bias on the rear.

Offline Uncle Rob

• Road Bike
  • "Knock it off with those negative waves!"
  • COG#: 11810
« Reply #467 on: September 21, 2016, 03:22:04 pm »
I have 10,300 miles on a 110 PR# front and Shinko 777 rear.  I could probably squeeze another 1000-1500 miles out of them but I am going to replace them before I head to the Barber Vintage Fest.  I have been very happy with the handling and I have never gotten 10k out of a rear tire before.  Highly recommend.
2003 C10
1999 Buell X1
Others in pieces

Rob Thomson

Offline MBrew

• Bicycle
« Reply #468 on: September 21, 2016, 03:34:02 pm »
I wound up installing the Avons with the 110 on the front. I've got about 2500 miles on them now including a trip to Arkansas. I didn't do any peg scraping, but I did lose some shoe leather a few times. I think I see a bit of what people are talking about with the ball bearing thing, but with this size front tire I don't think it's real bad. I ride with the PGR a lot and pull a large flag attached to a trailer hitch. That flag will move the bike around a little at highway speed and I think these tires feel a little like that. I'm comfortable riding the bike at speed and through corners. I will add that I don't remember the last set of Avons I had feeling that way. There is no irregular wear on them, at least not yet.

I imagine I'll put one more set of tires on this bike before I move on to something else and I might try the Shinko/Michilin combo next time. So far I've ridden the Avons, Dunlop and Metzler and I will not use the Dunlop or Metzler again if I have any choice in the matter. I would buy the Avons with a 110 front again if I needed to.
Mike Brewster
'01 Kawasaki KLR 650
'00 Suzuki DR-Z400
'95 Kawasaki Concours
Former  '82 Yamaha XJ650R Seca       '74 Kawasaki H1 500

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
« Reply #469 on: November 18, 2016, 05:44:22 pm »
Isn't there a spreadsheet someone created years ago tracking brand/performance/cost/miles, etc?

Are we not updating that anymore?

If not, I'd be willing to maintain it for a while, if anyone has a link to it. We could create a new post (maybe a sticky?/voting?) based on the fields in the sheet. Wouldn't be scientific, but could be useful long term. We could add the C14 there too.

Does the forum software support multi-item/multi-value voting? I'm thinking things like either a fill-in field for mileage, or multi-choice (1k-2k, 2k-3k, etc).

PM please if anyone has some thoughts (I get email notifications from PM's)

Offline Jerzy Rider

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #470 on: February 09, 2017, 08:39:35 pm »
Looks like noting new on C-10 tires in awhile. I see that some say a 110 80 18 in lieu of the 120 70 18 it calls for due to fitment? My 03 has Metzlers on it from previous owner. Hard as a rock and yes slippery. Also a bias ply so cant lay into it like my sport bikes. I have been looking and it seems only radial V rated I can find in a set is the Avon Storm 3 HD. Denis Kirk has them. i am about to pull the trigger but wanted some feed back if possible? I like Michelin tires> I called them to see if their new P4 was going to come out in a 16" but no call back and those on the phone were useless, so I guess not. Any issues with Avons? Dont want a blow out at 110 mpg.. Need a grippy tire for the twisty Poconos roads etc in my area. What you guys riding on ZG 1000 Concours?. The one Picked up last year is a 03. Like the bike but tires are horrible.

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
« Reply #471 on: February 09, 2017, 09:32:06 pm »
Options for tires on the C10 are limited unless one goes for the 17" rear wheel modification. I used Avon Azaros and was fairly well pleased. You give up tire mileage for grip but tires are all about compromise anyway. 
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

If you can't be a good example; be a WARNING!

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #472 on: February 09, 2017, 10:15:22 pm »
I think someone posted there is a new Radial available for the C-10.
Shinko maybe??

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
« Reply #473 on: February 09, 2017, 11:17:32 pm »
well i might have messed up, just got a set of Dulop Elite 4's, went 150/80-16 for the back and 130/70-18 for the front. guess we will find out Saturday if they fit right or not, I know the back will but now not so sure on the front. I was thinking there is not a whole lot of difference between 120 and 130 and the 130 was all that was available so I got it, if it does fit I think it will get good milage but just a little worried now.

Offline Jorge

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #474 on: February 09, 2017, 11:33:36 pm »
Avon 3D X-M. Not quite new; they came out about 2 years ago.
Very responsive tires, good grip, and should last. I would have expected 10,000 from rear, and 18,000+ from front...
Only negative is that they tend to wonder a little when new, but they settle after some miles.
Jorge