Author Topic: Thinking of the Metzeler-ME880. Opinions?  (Read 8061 times)

Offline GregP

• 1987 Burgandy Concours
  • Bicycle
  • New Concours owner from SW VA
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10383
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Re: Thinking of the Metzeler-ME880. Opinions?
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 01:25:14 am »
The Pirelli Speed Demons I had put on last Friday are nice!  Very smooth ride.  At highway speeds it feels like I'm riding on a rail...but much smoother.  The tires are very responsive and I have had no slippage yet.  Not even in the rain storm on the way home from getting them put on.  Obviously I can't comment on wear at this point but I will say I am very happy with the tires.  Both front an rear installed for under $400.
1st bike: 2003 Suzuki Intruder VS800
2nd bike: 1987 Kawasaki Concours

Offline mellow yellow

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 9301
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2012, 09:12:12 pm »
If you don't do your own tire installation I think you're ok. purchased a spare wheel which had this tire on it from ebay,rode it for a few hundred miles and didn't have any issues with it until I had to change it. I do my own tire changes with tire irons and THAT tire gave me the most problem trying to break the bead and removing it.
05 connie

Offline Racerchk

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 06:36:07 pm »
 >:( I'm currently searching this forum thread because I need new tires and the last ones I put on were Metz ME880, and if I wanted to spin my rear tire every stinking time I accelerated around a corner, slid through an intersection trying to make a somewhat fast stop, and tail slide through every corner, they're great!  :rotflmao: BUT I really don't like doing any of these things on the road, the track maybe, but not in traffic! While my rear has lots of tread, the front is horribly cupped, they are OUTTA HERE!

Offline Alcan Rider

• Old 'n Slow
  • Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 08:36:45 pm »
While I was never fond of the ME880's that I had on my '94 briefly, they managed to take me up the Dalton Hwy about 60 miles and back without letting loose once.  That was back when there were 50 more miles of gravel each way than there are now.  But the only time I've ever had a tank slapper on any bike was with the ME880 on the front of my Concours.  And while they might wear well on pavement, at the rate the rear rubber was going away I would have been fortunate to get 8000 miles out of it.  That might not have been the tire's fault entirely, as when I came back south on the Haul Road I found that by accelerating to 65-80 mph after exiting tight turns  :motonoises: I could get on top of the washboard and enjoy a much more comfortable ride.  ;D
CDA 0062.07 (or maybe .08?)
'94 Concours (looking to hit 200,000 miles before long)
'02 KLR685 (that the factory wouldn't recognize)
'03 GL1800 Gold Wing dualsport (We don't need no steenkin' pavement!)
'82 KZ1300 (How'd I end up with all these Kawasakis?)

Offline aircraft_electrician

• Tricycle
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2012, 01:04:52 am »
My '05 came with ME880s on her, and I've found them to be a great tire, as long as you don't need to accelerate, stop quickly or corner. They do none of these things well. The BT45 is a huge improvement.

While the tread life seemed to be quite long, the front tire cupped so badly on the sides that it howled if the bike was leaned at all, and the rear tire developed a huge knot in the tread from a broken belt.

It's also been covered here before, but I'll mention it again. They are a HUGE PAIN IN THE REAR to get off of the wheels! I've changed hundreds of tires in my life, both car and bike, and it took hours to get the rear Metzeler off of the rim. I've always been a fan of Metzeler tires in the past, but I can tell you my Connie won't ever have another one installed as long as I own her.
ALWAYS wear a helmet -- it saved my life on 1Oct2007!

Offline Bill

• Mini Bike
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2012, 10:43:26 am »
When I bought my '98 last year, it had (has) barely used 880s on it. 1st ride in the rain gave me a major pucker. Later, I tried some panic stops on dry pavement, same result. After that I was very leery of trying to pushing the bike in the twisties. After experimenting with pressures, I have found that running 30psi front and rear helps some, but I can't wait until these tires are worn out...........maybe I won't.
Once you go over the hill, you start picking up speed.

'98 Concours
'92 Honda 750 Nighthawk
'85 Honda VF500F Interceptor
'96 Honda XR400R

Offline cra-z1000

• Sport Tourer
  • Keeping it upright..
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9790
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2012, 10:25:24 pm »
The BT 45's are pretty decent but the avon roadriders are better but cost a bit more . I got my BT's at leatherup.com....less than 200 a pair .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline John

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 4157
  • Membership Level: Web Master
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2012, 01:52:26 pm »
Metzler 880, only if you are going to ride in a straight line, never changing speed, and with no other traffic anywhere.  If you value your life, get anything else.

I've run the Avons, they are good but don't wear well.  Presently I'm running Bridgestone, seems to be a good compromise on wear and handling, also the prices are much better than others. 
tcars
John
COG 4157, AMA 390409, ROK Charter Member
SE Newsletter Editor

Offline Capt. G

• Tricycle
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 11:40:18 am »
IMHO do not, I repeat do not use the ME-880. They are horrible on c-10. Run the Avon azaro rear with storm front. They stick like glue in any situation. I just put a set on my 99 connie and I am sold. They may wear faster but worth it. Metzlers do not mix with c-10's. Just my opinion, take it or leave it. Be safe and have a great ride.

Offline Racerchk

• Tricycle
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 02:19:08 pm »
My '05 came with ME880s on her, and I've found them to be a great tire, as long as you don't need to accelerate, stop quickly or corner. They do none of these things well. The BT45 is a huge improvement.

While the tread life seemed to be quite long, the front tire cupped so badly on the sides that it howled if the bike was leaned at all, and the rear tire developed a huge knot in the tread from a broken belt.

It's also been covered here before, but I'll mention it again. They are a HUGE PAIN IN THE REAR to get off of the wheels! I've changed hundreds of tires in my life, both car and bike, and it took hours to get the rear Metzeler off of the rim. I've always been a fan of Metzeler tires in the past, but I can tell you my Connie won't ever have another one installed as long as I own her.

:)) accelerate, stop quickly or corner, how succinctly put!  :))

Offline 911Boss

• Tricycle
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 03:02:29 pm »
Well, I went through a couple of sets on my C10 and they were my first choice. Had the bike not died, I would have put them on again.

Interesting they get such varied reviews. I never had a problem with traction on dry roads and ran them edge to edge. I ground the peg feelers completely off of my C10 while running 880s, and even did a track day on them without a problem.

I live in the Seattle area, and probably ride in the rain more than most. Again, never had a problem driving at safe and sane speeds for the weather and traffic conditions. The only times had them slip was on heavy paint stripes such as crosswalks and metal section dividers on elevated roads. Never caused a problem and quite predictable.

My guess is those folks who have issues have greatly different riding styles than me or the physical differences come into play. It is very rare for me to be braking and turning at the same time. Braking and turning both require traction and a tire, any tire, only has so much traction to give. When you are doing both at the same time, that traction is being split. If you ride in a manner that you done or the other, you have more available traction for the task at hand.

As to pressure- if memory serves, I ran mine at 42psi front and rear. Basically the max listed on the tire. At that pressure I didn't have any cupping or odd wear issues and was getting 18000-20000 miles on the rear and 22000 on the front. I am not an engineer, but rider weight might have something to do with the vast difference in reviews. I am a "big boy", and can't help but wonder if having them loaded more helps with traction compared to the more standard size folks.

I wanted a high mileage tire because I commute 80 miles a day and didn't want to be changing tires two or three times a year. 880s absolutely fit the bill but I never felt disadvantaged when I was riding the fun stuff either. Certainly a different feel than a nice set of radials (MeZ2/4 combo were the best ever, just didn't last) but they got the job done, just had to work a little harder on them. I was on my third set of them when the C10 hydrolocked and would have kept buying them.

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 2293
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2012, 03:39:50 pm »
Truck tires - 'nuff said.   :rotflmao:

Actually, I have to agree with Wayne, they're not bad. I put them on for my Alaska run two years ago. 36f/42r has worked well. Like Wayne noted, no adverse handling, except on wet paint stripes and metal, and on the deep gravel roads in BC and the YT, where the wider tires had a tendency to push to the outside of curves. As the rear gets squared off, handling does get a little weird as it will wander on any pavement irregularity parallel to your direction of travel. But for some reason, I never felt any problems with hot tar strips.

Some guys I know running 880's can run circles around riders on "superior" radial tires. It all comes down to how you ride.

But they are heavy truck tires.  ;D
All God's male children tend to be low-life, sleaze-ball, early apexers - Terry Earwood, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2012, 02:36:23 pm »
Interesting they get such varied reviews. I never had a problem with traction on dry roads and ran them edge to edge. I ground the peg feelers completely off of my C10 while running 880s, and even did a track day on them without a problem.

This is a very good point. I know there are many (like you) who have  lots of experience and good riding  skills. I have seen  riders also  drag pegs with these (and other poor traction) tires but these tires can get someone without these skills into a lot of trouble
The problem is that many Coggers  dont have those types of  skills and need to be aware of the differences in traction. I feel it is our responsibility  to inform and educate  that  is all. (I call it warning them).

I just came back from the Nationals and followed my friend who just bought (his girlfriend picked it up as a gift) a Harley Davidson rear tire. This thing must have weighted 50lbs  and it was hard as a rock . He slid all over the place. I about fell off my bike laughing so hard while following him.
He has what we call 'mad' skill's. I could not ride on that tire. I would be in the ditch on the first turn.  I think it is important to inform each other  so we can make wise choices based on good  information.  Sure many of us can ride circles around other riders that have vastly  superior equipment but  just because we can does not mean they can.
Get my point?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 02:39:26 pm by Daytona_Mike »
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit 100+HP  + way more torque.
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline GregP

• 1987 Burgandy Concours
  • Bicycle
  • New Concours owner from SW VA
  • COG#: 10383
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2012, 10:45:14 pm »
Ok, so....3 months later...the rear tire is BALD!!  I love acceleration but dang...3 months?
1st bike: 2003 Suzuki Intruder VS800
2nd bike: 1987 Kawasaki Concours

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2012, 10:58:19 pm »

This is a very good point. I know there are many (like you) who have  lots of experience and good riding  skills. I have seen  riders also  drag pegs with these (and other poor traction) tires but these tires can get someone without these skills into a lot of trouble
The problem is that many Coggers  dont have those types of  skills and need to be aware of the differences in traction. I feel it is our responsibility  to inform and educate  that  is all. (I call it warning them).

I just came back from the Nationals and followed my friend who just bought (his girlfriend picked it up as a gift) a Harley Davidson rear tire. This thing must have weighted 50lbs  and it was hard as a rock . He slid all over the place. I about fell off my bike laughing so hard while following him.
He has what we call 'mad' skill's. I could not ride on that tire. I would be in the ditch on the first turn.  I think it is important to inform each other  so we can make wise choices based on good  information.  Sure many of us can ride circles around other riders that have vastly  superior equipment but  just because we can does not mean they can.
Get my point?

I don't know which 880's these peg draggers were using but they were not the same tires I had. No way you drag pegs on them. Mine spun in the rain and skipped off paint lines on sunny days. They were not driveable on wet pavement. I changed to PR3's and was upset I had not done it sooner. Totally different bike with PR3's
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline Mortech

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12208
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2012, 11:33:49 pm »
Dammnn , GregP, what was the mileage total on that rear Pirelli ?
1999 Kawasaki Concours - Conrad
2006 Honda CBR600F4i - Restless
2009 Kawasaki Concours - Constanza

Offline bldoink

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 9409
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2012, 02:17:28 pm »
I'm running a Dunlop D404 on the rear now with a wore out Avon on the front(<10K). I have about 1K on the Dunlop, about half twisties (Blueridge Pky) and half super slab (I95). Oddly, the tire combination seems to handle well and although the Dunlop has a lower load and speed rating it seems to be wearing very well. The strange tire combination was a result of some road debris just N. of Lynchburg Va. ruining my rear Avon. The Dunlop was the only tire I could find in Lynchburg that would fit. At least the tire was cheap. I was concerned I would have to replace it right away due to handling issues but I think I'll wear it out now. The question is, do I put my spare brand new Avon Storm II on the front or look for a tire that might be more closely matched to the Dunlop 404?

Offline Lone-Rider

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 5502
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2012, 05:01:10 pm »
I don't know which 880's these peg draggers were using but they were not the same tires I had. No way you drag pegs on them. Mine spun in the rain and skipped off paint lines on sunny days. They were not driveable on wet pavement. I changed to PR3's and was upset I had not done it sooner. Totally different bike with PR3's

ME880 in Gold Wing sizes...I may still have a pic of the underside of my pegs, will have to see if I can find it.

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2012, 05:47:49 pm »

ME880 in Gold Wing sizes...I may still have a pic of the underside of my pegs, will have to see if I can find it.

I bought my bike used and it had the 880's on it. I put about a lot of miles on them when I ran into some light rain. I drove it home and the next day bought the PR3's. I cannot begin to tell you what a difference it was. Like driving a different bike. And I liked it before.  Maybe I got a bad set of 880's but once was enough. They might work better on other bikes. The overwhelming reviews of the PR3's for this bike should tell one it is the tire for this bike right now. Why go against the grain? 
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 6953
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2012, 07:39:17 pm »
ME880's on an '08  :-\
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2012, 09:11:20 pm »
ME880's on an '08  :-\

The previous owner put them on.

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2012, 06:17:03 pm »
Love the old Kaw (the KZ, what 550?)

Looks just like my first bike a Kaw 440LTD (but with 2 more cylinders and gobs more power - the 440 only had 2 cylinders). For being what it was, mine was a great bike. Got crashed by a left-hand-turner-in-front-of-me. Got her back form he insurance company as salvage with bent forks and a crushed gas tank. Bought a used tank, had all the color parts painted, painted the engine black, new bars, and she looked great.

Wish I had pics of her!

Offline Snarf

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8302
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2012, 07:45:07 pm »

Looks just like my first bike a Kaw 440LTD (but with 2 more cylinders and gobs more power - the 440 only had 2 cylinders). For being what it was, mine was a great bike. Got crashed by a left-hand-turner-in-front-of-me. Got her back form he insurance company as salvage with bent forks and a crushed gas tank. Bought a used tank, had all the color parts painted, painted the engine black, new bars, and she looked great.

Wish I had pics of her!
Oh yeah...I had a 440Ltd.  That thing was a blast.  It was fun while riding through town to take rpms up to about 8K in third gear, hit the kill switch and pin the throttle. Load her up real nice and turn the kill switch back on........................BLAM two foot flames out of both exhaust. :great:
Chris Lillie
02 concours (CC)
86 concours (spirit of cog)

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2012, 08:28:12 pm »

Wish I had pics of her!

Its a 76 900 that I have had for a while. I still ride it all the time. I had a 440ltd a long time ago. It was a great bike.

Offline Lone-Rider

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 5502
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2012, 12:05:12 am »

I bought my bike used and it had the 880's on it. I put about a lot of miles on them when I ran into some light rain. I drove it home and the next day bought the PR3's. I cannot begin to tell you what a difference it was. Like driving a different bike. And I liked it before.  Maybe I got a bad set of 880's but once was enough. They might work better on other bikes. The overwhelming reviews of the PR3's for this bike should tell one it is the tire for this bike right now. Why go against the grain?

For the record - my experience with them was on the C10. The OP of this thread was talking about them for a C10. If you had some on a C14, I cand understand the difference. Of course, if they come in a C14 size, and considering how much I liked them on my C10 (regardless of other peoples thoughts), I might just be willing to give them a try!