Author Topic: Thinking of the Metzeler-ME880. Opinions?  (Read 8076 times)

Offline mellow yellow

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9301
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Re: Thinking of the Metzeler-ME880. Opinions?
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2012, 07:16:54 pm »
Hope I'm not too late to chime in my opinion. last year had to change this tire that came with the wheel that I had purchased on ebay. rode it in all weather conditions. didn't really notice any handling problems. but breaking the bead on that suicker was a royal pia! I've done my share of tire changes, but this one had me looking in the dictionary for new expletives!
05 connie

Offline SmokinRZ

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9430
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2012, 10:08:44 pm »
I noticed a lot of the 880 haters got them on a used bike insalled by the PO.  These tires wear so well they could be several years old.  I picked up a internet deal on a Dunlop Sportmax for an FZR600 I had with an odd 18 inch rear wheel.  The tires was several years old and was by far the worst tire I have ever ridden on.  It was like riding in the rain all the time much like the 880 is described here.

I don't want to be replacing rear tires at 3-4K (time and money).  I get about 10-12K out of the stock size 880 and 8-9K out of the z6 on the front.  Most of my riding is in large blocks (multi state trips) in the warmer months with little rain (not cold and wet).  I do keep in mind that I don't have cutting edge tire technolgy and ride accordingly.  The 880 works fine for me but I might give the Michelin Commander a try next.                         

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2012, 07:49:28 am »
I noticed a lot of the 880 haters got them on a used bike insalled by the PO.  These tires wear so well they could be several years old. <snip>

OK, I could see that point. But in my particular case. My 880's were brand new when I installed them on my bike. They started out fairly decent, but headed down hill more and more as they wore. I removed mine before they were worn half way. (IIRC, less than 4,000 miles) It wasn't worth the risk to me to continue riding on them. So I scrapped them rather than continue to test fate rinding on them. (too many incidents becuase of the tires) And I must add that unless they are many, many years old, it's irrelevant to me. The tires should perform to the acceptable degree throughout their life. And that includes being two years old on a bike but only slightly worn. In my case they were probably a year old or less. But even if two years old, they were unacceptable to me.
     Don't take this wrong. But I really hate the word haters. A lot of folks on the C14 side use terms like that to label folks  when they don't prefer, like or maybe even all out hate certain things. But to me when it's used describing people, it comes across as an attempt to deflect any negative thoughts or opinions on the bike or product by labeling folks for their opinions, rather than the merits of the discussion. So I "hate" when folks use that word to label folks.
   Being someone who disliked the 880's to the point of saying that I hated them on my bike. I will say that I don't hate the tire per se. But I found them to be a terrible tire on my bike. As pointed out, they started out being a fair tire on brand new rubber. But quickly went down hill where they didn't grip well and made the bike push wide in corners. They also did not grip well in the wet. So other than when brand new (in which they were only OK at best), I found them to be a tire that did not have what I consider to be acceptable grip in pretty much all conditions. Well I guess if all you do is run straight up and down the highway. In that case they might work for me and take the wear over grip. But the way I ride forces me to corner the bike more than just ride straight on the highway.
     I prefer grip and confidence inspiration out of tire rather than how many miles can I get out of it. When I can find a tire that wears better, even though I doesn't grip quite as good as the better tire. I weight out the options and make my decision. For example: I find the Pirelli Angel ST to be a better tire for grip and confidence inspiring than the Michelin Pilot Road 3 (which wears better). But the PR3 does acceptable with grip and are actually a little better in the rain. So at this time I'm running PR3's on my FJR, even though I think the Pirelli is a better tire. It just doesn't grip quite as well.

Note to add:  I have a set of Michelin's radials on my 86 right now that are well over ten years old. They came on the bike when I grabbed it a few of years ago after being stored for about ten years. Yes I understand that they are way past their shelf life. But they have shown no signs of dry rot or anything else (other than cupping now). So I have continued to run them for the rest of this year. I do not know how many miles they had on them when I bought the bike, but they were definitely not new. But I can say those 10+ year old Michelin's with at least the additional 3,000 miles that has been ridden on them since I have had the bike, are still way better than the 880's I took off my old bike at half life or better. Not a "Hater". Just a realist.   ;)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 08:03:55 am by Cap'n Bob »

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2012, 09:13:21 am »
I noticed a lot of the 880 haters got them on a used bike insalled by the PO.  These tires wear so well they could be several years old.  I picked up a internet deal on a Dunlop Sportmax for an FZR600 I had with an odd 18 inch rear wheel.  The tires was several years old and was by far the worst tire I have ever ridden on.  It was like riding in the rain all the time much like the 880 is described here.

I don't want to be replacing rear tires at 3-4K (time and money).  I get about 10-12K out of the stock size 880 and 8-9K out of the z6 on the front.  Most of my riding is in large blocks (multi state trips) in the warmer months with little rain (not cold and wet).  I do keep in mind that I don't have cutting edge tire technolgy and ride accordingly.  The 880 works fine for me but I might give the Michelin Commander a try next.                       

What is the savings between the 880's and the PR3's? I cannot speak on the mileage as I only have 4000 miles on mine right now and they show little wear. But with tires it seems all of a sudden the tread just disappears at some point quite quickly. Had this site not told me the that the PR3s worked so well on this machine I never would have known and might still be riding on those rocks. The difference was so great it actually seemed like a different bike. Take the advice of the fellow riders here and give them a try and report back.   
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline SmokinRZ

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9430
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2012, 04:23:18 pm »
I noticed a lot of the 880 haters got them on a used bike installed by the PO.  These tires wear so well they could be several years old. <snip>

Don't take this wrong. But I really hate the word haters. A lot of folks on the C14 side use terms like that to label folks  when they don't prefer, like or maybe even all out hate certain things. But to me when it's used describing people, it comes across as an attempt to deflect any negative thoughts or opinions on the bike or product by labeling folks for their opinions, rather than the merits of the discussion. So I "hate" when folks use that word to label folks.

Sorry for using the H word, it won't happen again  :beerchug:  I just find the mixed reports on the 880 fascinating.  There are some strong opinions both ways and I can certainly appreciate preserving life and limb by removing tires that feel dangerous.  The only time I have had to do that was because of the age of the tire.  The summers in Texas can dry rot a tire stored in a hot garage in less than five years.  They won't have cracks but the rubber gets hard.  Having said that I have used tires that were several years old that I stored sealed  bags in my clothes closet.  Environment is certainly a factor in the aging process.  I can also appreciate the original poster who was disappointed with 3K miles of tire life.  For years that is what I got out of my sport bike tires and it limited my riding.  All I can offer is that I have run two 880s in stock size and they have been acceptable for me on the rear, mostly in the hot summer and in the dry.  I run the radial Z6 up front.  The chipped asphalt on the Texas back roads are murder on tires  >:(.  If I lived in a cold rainy climate I might have strong negative feeling toward this tire on this motorcycle  :))                 

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2012, 08:04:26 pm »

[/quote]

What is the savings between the 880's and the PR3's?
[/quote]

Really?  You have to ask how much money you save?
  I consider the 880's to be a huge waste of money unless you ride slow and straight all the time and never on a wet road. That's why I threw away a brand new one. I would not give one to my worst enemy.
PR3's are  well worth the money because it  handles so well on dry and wet and in hard cornering and stopping and is just plain FUN to ride on.
880 does none of those things well.
 Just be warned and ride scared (or slow) all the time  and you should be fine.

Some of you  were in Arkansas for the nationals may have seen my bike in the parking lot changing tires. I chased a few fast bikes including a Triumph Speed Tripple and scrubbed down to the canvas  till  the air leaked out   brand new Ultra Storm2 (front) and PR3 (rear) in less than 1500 miles. I was very happy with the mileage  and would do it again because it was FUN!!  700+ lb C10's dont do too well chasing 466b crotch rockets unless you have good tires.
I did not hate that 880 either.... it just scared the cr@p out of me  trying to ride on it.

How does that saying go:   ' Better to have and not need then to need and not have'.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 08:18:25 pm by Daytona_Mike »
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit 100+HP  + way more torque.
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!