Author Topic: Tires Tires Tires  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Rastus

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12520
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Tires Tires Tires
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2019, 04:34:20 pm »
An update on the mileage on Avon AM26’s. My 110/80 front currently has about 14,000 miles on it, and has worn evenly, and appears ready for thousands of miles more. The 150/80 rear that was put on at the same time, was changed out after about 8500 miles, which included a run to Alaska and back on some bad roads. I don’t burn my rear tire on launch, although I do accelerate hard sometimes. The current rear, with around 5500 on it, appears to have a couple thousand miles more.

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into an FJR !!!
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2019, 02:23:31 am »
An update on the mileage on Avon AM26’s. My 110/80 front currently has about 14,000 miles on it, and has worn evenly, and appears ready for thousands of miles more. The 150/80 rear that was put on at the same time, was changed out after about 8500 miles, which included a run to Alaska and back on some bad roads. I don’t burn my rear tire on launch, although I do accelerate hard sometimes. The current rear, with around 5500 on it, appears to have a couple thousand miles more.
That is awesome mileage. It still baffles me that more folks have not tried these tires. They have been available in C-10 sizes for years. I ran several sets when I had my 02 Silverbullet and they were great tires with tons of grip.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline Rastus

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12520
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2019, 02:42:56 pm »
As to mileage on the Avon AM26 Roadrider tires, after 14,000 miles, my 110/80-18 front looks good and appears to have thousands more miles. The 150/80-16 rear lasted about 8500 miles till almost bald, and the second rear appears 2/3 worn out after around 5500 miles. The AM26 Roadrider tires have great grip, even under adverse weather and road conditions(think Alaska). Will continue to run these tires on my C10 as long as they make them.

Offline bajasam

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2019, 07:26:05 pm »
I've never had a set of Avons, but common sense would dictate that if its going 18000 miles its not really a grippy tire, for your level of riding it might be really grippy,but compared to a real grippy tire that wears out in 3000mi its probably as grippy as a chunk of granite.Those factory racer dudes would pay loads of money for a tire compound that was capable of doing what your claiming.

Online m in sc

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2019, 07:57:30 pm »
am26's are grippy, some of the AHRMA guys run them on the track bikes actually. (usually they run the AM22's as well). they have a deep pattern. I run them on my smaller bikes, and i ride them very aggressively. they are sticky, make no doubt.  But if oyu are relatively gentle on them, they do last quite long.

I get about 4-4.5k out of a rear on the rd's, thats it. maybe 7 on the front.  I bought a set for the concours, they work way better than expected on such a pig of a bike.

Offline Wantabeach

• Bicycle
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2019, 01:18:20 pm »
You may do what many have done and with the 110/80-18 front and the standard 150/80-16 rear. I ran Avon AM-26's in those sizes on my 02 for many years before I did the 17" wheel conversion front and rear.

:beerchug: That is the correct tire size for the front.. Agreed.   110/80-18 front   (the 120/70 will be pinched on the 3 inch front rim.. the 120 is made for a wider rim 3.5 to 4.0 - which we do not have) The 110/80 is the correct sized tire for our 3 inch wide rim
I think the Avon 3D is about the best tire option out there right now for the rear as there is not a lot left to choose from.

Why do you say that the 110/ 80 is the correct size tire for the front when Kawasaki says it should be 120/70?

Thanks

2006 Kawasaki Concours
2006 Harley Heritage (sold)

Offline bajasam

• Scooter
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2019, 03:40:02 pm »
Its just another opinion, either size will work just fine and both have been used for many years will great reviews, don't get hung up with one opposing view, now if fifty people tell you something you might want to investigate their advice.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2019, 05:31:34 pm »
Wantabeach, {as I understand it} the 120 size is a bit too wide for the OEM Rim.
The tire that came with the bike was actually an undersized 120.

The 110 is the correct size for the rim, and the different tire profile helps with turn in... (Slightly better handling}

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 09:29:13 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2019, 07:22:24 pm »
Wantabeach, {as I understand it} the 120 size is a bit too wide for the OEM Rim.
The tire that came with the bike was actually an undersized 120.

The 110 is the correct size for the rim, and the different tire profile helps with turn in... (Slightly better handling}

Ride safe, Ted

the 110/80 was the specified tire for pre '94 models, but changed....

'94 and up models specified the 120/70 tire... as that was when the rim, front brakes, and subsequently the bearings, changed.
it should be noted on the under seat sticker on the model year in question..

interesting dimensional differences that changed during the "new front setup" were minimal, but noted.
Length remained the same
Trail remained the same
Overall weight went from 265kg to 270kg
front tire curb weight went from 142kg to 144kg
rear curb weight went from 160kg to 163kg
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 07:47:21 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline bajasam

• Scooter
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2019, 02:57:44 pm »
Now we know, thats gotta be the correct reason as my 2004 C-10 A-19 manual designates only the use of 120/70 tire with no mention about anything under or oversized.

Offline works4me

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10594
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2019, 04:52:48 pm »
What hasn’t been mentioned is the bespoke Dunlop 701 front tire
supplied as OE measures only 111MM and while labeled 120/70
is designed to fit a 3” rim.
To me, this makes the 110/80 size wholly appropriate.

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into an FJR !!!
  • COG#: 7055
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2019, 06:21:11 pm »
Many of us ran the 110/80 front tire for years with no issues. And the Dunlop 700/701 OEM tires were the worst.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline Paxman

• Big Wheels
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2019, 11:36:41 pm »
I have been very happy with the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT on the front and Michelin Commander II on the rear.

With that said, I recently got a nail in the Commander II and a local dealer has a Dunlop Elite 4 bias ply 150/80-16 on sale for $140. Does anyone have experience with the Dunlop Elite 4? Thanks in advance!

Paxton
Springfield, MO

Offline bajasam

• Scooter
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2019, 11:52:27 pm »
Yer gonna scrap the commander because it had a nail??

Offline Paxman

• Big Wheels
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2019, 12:06:42 am »
The nail caused a leak and I put a screw coated with marine bellows adhesive in it to stop the leak. It's got less than half tread left anyway, and the front is nearly new, so yes I'm going to replace it.

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12507
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2019, 09:42:19 pm »
It's fascinating to read a Connie thread on tires by people who generally don't live or ride in the PNW, as tire preferences out here revolve so heavily around wet traction. When I used to ride the Seattle Bainbridge Island ferry every day, you get a massive number of motorcycles headed on and off each boat during commute hours. If it's a sport touring bike of any persuasion, they are almost certain to have PR4 GT's. I rode those for a set or two and liked them fine. Get 5-8. I'm currently using the Metzeler Sport Tec 01, and am very pleased. Unlike the siping on the front tire of the PR4, the Metzeler wears more uniformly and seems to hold grip smoother in the corners.

It's all about wet weather traction around these parts. And we generally replace our tires more frequently as you need all the depth in those rain grooves you can get.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

2008 ABS Silver with 30,000 and counting

Offline Herb

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12023
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2019, 04:00:58 pm »
Those Metzeler Sport Tec 01 tires sound nice. Unfortunately they are not available in C10 sizes.