Author Topic: Yet another suspension rebuild  (Read 581 times)

Offline batboy

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Yet another suspension rebuild
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2018, 12:03:16 am »
Murph's sent me a short and to the point message. There are no shocks in stock and the distributor does not know when they'll be available again.

I guess just to get me through fall, I'll refill the shock, and ride it that way until Thanksgiving, and then find a permanent solution over the winter.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2018, 12:18:55 am »
Murph's sent me a short and to the point message. There are no shocks in stock and the distributor does not know when they'll be available again.

I guess just to get me through fall, I'll refill the shock, and ride it that way until Thanksgiving, and then find a permanent solution over the winter.

you really don't read the stuff people hand you like I did in my last post, do you...?

you had a $250 shock and rocker assembly, I linked there...

meh... whatever... :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline batboy

• Training Wheels
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2018, 01:32:08 am »
MOB, I saw the link, thanks for posting it. I went to the link earlier and checked it out. The C-14 shock raises the bike considerably, so even with the Soucy part it will be higher than what the bike is right now. I seriously considered it, but I decided it's not the right path for me at this time.

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2018, 02:29:56 am »
MOB, I saw the link, thanks for posting it. I went to the link earlier and checked it out. The C-14 shock raises the bike considerably, so even with the Soucy part it will be higher than what the bike is right now. I seriously considered it, but I decided it's not the right path for me at this time.
  The lowering link with the C14 shock gives you stock ride height.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2018, 02:41:47 am »
Norm offers the rockers in various drop's.
I think the cost is $200 {includes new bearings}.

If you use a C-14 shock, his 1 1/2" rocker would make the bike approx. stock height.
  I have a C-14 shock and a 1 1/2" rocker on my C-10.

His 2" rocker should lower the bike approx. 1/2".
Not sure what drop's he offers.
Only he can confirm what steps he offers...
If this is of interest to anyone , contact him.
Here is his up to date info:   sanleonster@gmail.com
                                          phone# (281) 339-1156

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 02:50:18 am by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Online fred-houston

• Officer
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG Membership Officer
  • COG#: 9066
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2018, 03:18:40 pm »
Well, considering this is the first time I've worked on a motorcycle rear shock, I must honestly say I personally don't know. But, I stayed up late for a couple of evenings searching through forum discussions. People say the 465 will fit. Others say the C-14 shock and ZZR shock will not. I think there was a mention that Soucy's links works with the C-14 shock, but Soupy's don't. Those names being so similar and both made lowering links, that can't be a coincidence. So, I'm trusting COG members when they said the 465 plays nice with my lowering links. Of course, I can't find that particular post right now. However, I think most of you are very trustworthy from what I've seen, Salute!

I'll give you the straight scoop as I have had everyone of the shocks you mentioned on one of my C-10's.  Out of the box the 465 will fit, no problems.  The ZZR and the C-14 shock will fit with some very minor modifications.  I found with the C-14 shock you will probably want to go with a lowering link, and  the Soucy's link is a straight switch out.  I have not used Soupy's because I already found a Soucy's to install. 

All the above mentioned shocks are far better than stock.  To me the ZZR was too soft, the Progressive was better, but not enough for my 300 pound plus frame, I like the C-14 best out of the three.  That is my opinion, you will find other that will disagree with that.  I currently have a custom Cogent Dynamics Inc rebuilt C-14 shock that I am going to install.  I have yet to put any miles on it so I can not offer a opinion, but I am willing to bet it will be the best yet because it was built for my weight.  https://www.motocd.com/
Fred Boothe - COG Membership Officer
Missouri City, TeXaS
1999 C-10 EFI (Semi Naked)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2018, 04:23:36 pm »
Great info Fred.  I too went through several different  shocks on my C10 and you are correct about the ZZR shock - the spring is too soft even for me (230lbs)  The 465 is about as good as it gets for the money.
Cogent Dynamics (good company)  did my KLR650  suspension  (MOAB shock on  the rear-Sonics and  emulators up front) which transformed the horrible stock suspension (KLR stock suspension  was about the WORST I have ever ridden on any bike) .

Another option I never tried (a little pricey but you get a high quality fully adjustable shock) is the Wilburs
https://tinyurl.com/yamcyxzs

I bet the Cogent Dynamics rebuilt C14 shock (re-sprung for your weight I assume) will be even better or as good as it gets. What did they charge you to do that shock may I ask?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 04:37:12 pm by Daytona_Mike »
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline batboy

• Training Wheels
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2018, 12:28:45 pm »
Thanks for all the info Fred and Mike. It's good to hear a comparison from folks that have experience with all the options. The Wilburs shock from Europe looks interesting. Not sure what the exchange rate is from dollars to euros, but they look expensive and you have to deal with shipping and customs from across the pond.

I can't find a Progressive Suspensions 465-series (part # 465-1155B) shock in stock anywhere (this is what Murph's sold). I found several sites that had it listed as being in stock, but after I called or emailed them, I found out they were not available. The manufacturer probably discontinued the model that fits the C-10.

The C-14 shock from the second generation Concours seems like the next best shock for the C-10 when you rummage through the used parts bin. But, the main problem for me is that the shock is too tall for the C-10 and the Soupy lowering links interfere with the external spring. Even when you can find the Soucy link (also discontinued), the bike would still be taller than what I have now (1.5" lower than stock). Ted says the Soucy link puts the C-14 shock right at stock height, that would put me back on my tiptoes.

That leaves the ZZR1200 shock (which is what I decided to get). The ZZR1200 is readily available and cheap. While about a 1/4" taller than stock, but with lowered forks and a low profile 17" rear tire, my bike would still be about 1/2" lower than stock (without Soupy's lowering links). I have looked at as many photos as possible showing the installed ZZR1200 shock on a Concours 1000. It appears to me that my Soupy's lowering links will work with some minor tweaking. If not, once I get a lower seat, I should be back to flat-footing it again.

About the only downside to the ZZR1200 shock I've heard is the spring rate is a little light (but still better than stock). I weigh in at 190 lbs. and plan to get lighter weight mufflers and battery, so perhaps the springs will be tolerable. Again, it's still better than a working stock shock and as a reminder, my current shock leaks, so anything will be better than what I currently have now. I found a low mileage ZZR1200 shock that I ordered for $75.

SHORT VERSION: The Progressive 465-series shock is unavailable and C-14 shock is too tall. So, I bought a ZZR1200 shock instead.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2018, 01:43:22 pm »
ZZR shock is a good option. Dont worry about that extra height..the spring is so soft that it will not raise the bike. As a matter of fact the bike will sag  too much when you get on the bike so you will probably have to add all the preload you can to get the bike back up to where it should be even with your lowering links and lighter bike parts.
 Another words.. your golden and you will  really like that shock. Good choice and congrats. Let us know how you like it.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2018, 02:36:05 pm »
Yea, I run the ZZR shock, it believe it added a little height over stock maybe 1/2". It is a little mushy but way better than stock, especially your stock.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline who me?

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11932
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2018, 03:16:42 pm »
Daytona Mike, The progressive 465 series shock is what Murph's sell, right? If this OEM shock won't hold air pressure, I'm definitely getting the 465 shock. Does the replacement 465 shock use air pressure too? The C-14 shock is not an option for me, because I have Soupy's lowering links that will interfere with the spring on the C-14 shock.

Bob, thanks for the air pump info. I hear you loud and clear about not wanting to strip out the fine threads. That's what kept me from using the impact up to this point. I ate a bowl of Wheaties this morning, so I'll try using the manual method one more time before my flabby arm muscles get too tired. By golly, 20 years ago when I was younger and stronger, I could have done this one handed... mumble mumble.

EDIT: Okay, I got the first fork cap back on. I think the Wheaties helped. Now to drain the oil from the other fork and see if I can make an even bigger mess than the first fork. Maybe I'll try the Homer Simpson breakfast to give me strength on the next fork cap (i.e. donuts).
The progressive 465 is the one Murph sells No it doesnt use air Ive had mine on with the soupys lowering links with no issues for about a year
I have no idea about anything.
95 C10 The Mule
02 C10 parts are parts
08 FJR Self identifies as a C13

Offline batboy

• Training Wheels
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2018, 05:10:30 pm »
Do we all agree the ZZR1200 shock will be better than the stock 30 year old C-10 shock with zero air pressure?

I need to go back through the topics about the ZZR1200 shock. I know the shock itself is not serviceable, but I thought someone had installed a different spring?

Well, I found a thread by Daytona Mike where he was looking to install a different spring. Does not look like anything was ever done though other than to conclude the ZZR shock cannot be revalved, so thus is not the best shock to use. Oh well, the ZZR shock I ordered is on the way.

I would get a Progressive 465 series shock if there were any available. Looks like they're history. The C-14 shock is either too tall or I'm too short. Maybe a little of both. So it basically boiled down to the frugal ZZR1200 shock.

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2018, 06:17:35 pm »
You will be happy with it. Cruising the shock rides real nice. I don’t have it cranked up all the way and is very compliant in twisters and two up.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim