• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Devil's Cut 2020

Charby

It's that time of year again for the Devil's Cut in Springerville, Az. Weekend of September 18 - 20. Ride the old 666 Devil's Highway. Lots of curves with very little traffic. Meet in Springerville on Friday evening and plan rides for Saturday. Saturday night have pizza and share the days stories and there are always plenty. Sunday morning have a donut and head home.
Hotel info - Reed's Motor Lodge  514 E Main Springerville, AZ 85938  928-333-4323
Rooms range from $59 - $89.
For those coming in from the left coast, we are planning on meeting in Prescott on Thursday evening and ride to Springerville on Friday.
Hope you can make it. Dan

We're in too!  Looking forward to another awesome Meet and Greet!! There likely will be some prizes handed out!! And you cannot miss the morning donuts!  Thank you for organizing it again this year Dan! Will be a hoot!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

Kept hearing how great this areas roads are from previous attendees so I booked a room. Now where to spend the night on Thursday in Prescott?

DGOLD said:
Kept hearing how great this areas roads are from previous attendees so I booked a room. Now where to spend the night on Thursday in Prescott?

Hi David, We usually stay at the Days Inn 1290 White Spar Road. Prescott, AZ. Nice place to stay after a great run up the hill!  ;)

I was not able to get to the event from the calendar, But if you go to the events box at the top
right of the forum page, click on more events until you see the event and it will open from there.

Doug Meister

Rusty
Thanks for the info. on the Days Inn in Prescott
If I am not mistaken didn't we stay there for a regional rally?
Booked it!

DGOLD said:
Rusty
Thanks for the info. on the Days Inn in Prescott
If I am not mistaken didn't we stay there for a regional rally?
Booked it!

Yes we did!! It was the Comfort Inn then!  :)

Hopefully we will go through Payson and Show Low for altitude and scenery.
A friend from Prescott that shows some interest in the ride has suggested the reverse loop for the 191 as he feels uphill is better due to the cantor of the road and doing the lower elevations first would be better for the heat.
As that I have never done this ride I am in no position to advise our organizers and will stay with the group thought  I should this mention this opinion from a seasoned rider that I respect.
Can't wait!

DGOLD said:
Hopefully we will go through Payson and Show Low for altitude and scenery.
A friend from Prescott that shows some interest in the ride has suggested the reverse loop for the 191 as he feels uphill is better due to the cantor of the road and doing the lower elevations first would be better for the heat.
As that I have never done this ride I am in no position to advise our organizers and will stay with the group thought to I should this mention this opinion from a seasoned rider that I respect.
Can't wait!

Hi David...yes we go through Show Low and Payson on the way to Springerville! Also the last two years our route on the Devil's Highway is always South to North or lower elevations to higher elevations! We do a run through New Mexico south then cross over to Clifton and Morenci and work our way back north on Highway 191back to Springerville! Just a great ride!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

I personally like North to South down 191, but I am optimizing scenic viewing over speed.  I’ve been down it half a dozen times and i still love the view.

I'm hearing of 2 different places to stay?  I'm waiting on a few parts from ma Kaw hope there here in time.

Stubby said:
I'm hearing of 2 different places to stay?  I'm waiting on a few parts from ma Kaw hope there here in time.

Days Inn in Prescott
Reeds Motor Lodge in Springerville 

Just got home from 666 ride.
First time there.
Pretty hot in the lower climes, and lots of hot tar Snakes at the southern end.
No construction. Some "deer"..
Other wise... Wow!!!

Ride safe, Ted

Nottacop said:
Great right? I’m so excited. Gonna leave the DFW area early Friday and go through Deming then Silverton up 180 to Springerville. Always wanted to do 180 for a change. Should be a 900 mile day. Rock on! 😎👍🏼
900 - that’s a great day! 

Just had the valves checked, spark plugs changed, coolant and oil changed and readjusted the throttle.
I think I am over excited about this trip!

We are going to get to Prescott in the afternoon, check in and take a ride out to the Yarnell Hotshots Memorial about an hour away. Great road riding out to it and a must stop if you're nearby.

We are going to get to Prescott in the afternoon, check in and take a ride out to the Yarnell Hotshots Memorial about an hour away. Great road riding out to it and a must stop if you're nearby.
I’m planning on leaving as soon as I get off work at 3:30pm on Thursday from Surprise, AZ. It’s about an hour ish from Yarnell and 2 from Prescott. Hopefully can coordinate with those that are riding to Yarnell and ride back up to Prescott in a group?

I’m planning on leaving as soon as I get off work at 3:30pm on Thursday from Surprise, AZ. It’s about an hour ish from Yarnell and 2 from Prescott. Hopefully can coordinate with those that are riding to Yarnell and ride back up to Prescott in a group?
Here's my number. You can me me a call when your heading up. 520-490-3608

I‘m assuming we are at the Days Inn in Prescott. Is this right? When I called them they didn‘t know about a COG group.

I just booked the Days Inn on my own. How much more could it be? The way the tourist trade is hurting I don't feel bad letting the establishment make an extra $20 or so.
See you all in Prescott then off to Springerville!

I just booked the Days Inn on my own. How much more could it be? The way the tourist trade is hurting I don't feel bad letting the establishment make an extra $20 or so.
See you all in Prescott then off to Springerville!
Days Inn told me they would only discount 10% for the group and they gave that to me anyway. I was just making sure a last minute change of location had not been made. :)

Days Inn told me they would only discount 10% for the group and they gave that to me anyway. I was just making sure a last minute change of location had not been made. :)
Yes it is still Days Inn. Same thing they told me. 10% discount for a group but still would still give it to anyone who asked.

The Flash and Flash's wife will not be able to go to the Devil's Cut this year.. I hope you all have a great time and I look forward to hearing some cool stories and seeing some fantastic pictures! :):cool:

We are almost ready to head towards Prescott for the night. Got to get through Phoenix:confused:, onto Wickenburg and 93, and then to 89 and the home stretch into the Days Inn parking lot. Woot!

Stewing in my jealousy 👿

But.... you all have a safe, amazing ride and meet & greet. You all deserve it.

(there does not appear to be a smack-your-booty emjoi)

I had a blast. you're the man Dan!!!!
just one request. we need to call the people who do road maintenance before we get there next time and have them mow the weeds on the side of the road. .
I have been having this issue of getting into the weeds in some turns.
I got most out of the fairing...
It's been great to see everyone again and that ya'll stayed safe ....

Ted

Attachments

• IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 149
Excellent event, Jami and I had a great time. If Jami tells you she did not like the roads or my speed on said roads she is full of it, she had a good time. We even had a kick @$$ ride home down through the Salt River Canyon.

COG was well represented at this ride, we had our AZ crew, a CA crew, a NV crew, a NM crew, a TX crew, and Mike Brown showed up from VA. 👍

Thanks Dan and Kathy, even if y'all failed on the group photo.📷 🤓

I had a great time and I’m looking forward to next year. After a two hour delay leaving on Sunday and looking toward a 12 hour ride good ol’ Ted led me on a “very spirited ride” back toward Albuquerque where I saved 30 minutes at least. LOL. For those of you who don’t know; when I woke up Sunday morning and went to unlock the disc rotor lock on the bike, it wouldn’t unlock. The pin was simply spinning in place. I got some help from a local guy named Ed who brought out his sawzall and between the two of us and 25 minutes we finally were able to get the lock off. As normal with this caring group, many people were hovering around the bike offering their help anyway they could. I friggin love y’all and appreciate the concern. Until next year, Cheers!

Attachments

• B42FFABD-BEE5-4859-9301-732CC999B921.jpeg
    B42FFABD-BEE5-4859-9301-732CC999B921.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 145
Had a great time. Was able to catch-up with some old friends and made some new friends also.
Really enjoyed meeting everyone. Hope to do it again next year. Thanks Dan & Kathy Ya'll are the best.

C'ya down the road!
Doug Meister

Blew a corner there Ted. 😋😋😋
😁

Nice video Andre. It was great to see you guys.

Last edited:
Took me awhile to realize that the Ted you mentioned was Kuzin' Ted..
I enjoy riding with him too.
So, I'm gonna try to be there next time.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I am ridding with you guys next year!!!
the more the better :) I'm cleaning up my videos and after Andre uploaded his , will post link here. This road just gets to me. still day dreaming every day and sampling a video here and there. i don't now if that helps or makes it worse :)