• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Best month for Sierra Sidewinder weekend in 2022

If you were to join us for the Sierra Sidewinder passes ride in 2022, what month would be best?

• June -- yeah, it may conflict with the nationals and the passes my still be closed, but let's do it!

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • July -- I don't mind if it's a little warm, we'll be at altitude, right?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • August -- warmer still, but summers in SW are boring

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • September -- cooler and who cares if this is the month everyone schedules events

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • October -- weather? I live for dodging storms

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

santacruzrider

The past two Sierra passes rides have been scheduled in early or mid-October and we have been playing with the weather gods, with each ride coming less than a week after the first snows closed some passes and they were temporarily reopened, and just days before the passes were all permanently closed for the year.

This has me thinking that maybe I might challenge conventional wisdom that no SW events get scheduled in the summer months. Would you brave some heat to ride the mountains, while avoiding potential snow cancellation?

Late August through Sept for me. But hey what do I know I'm the guy spending all winter fixing his bike. 🤣
I would like to come back but that dodging snow storms would have me thinking in the future. Thanks Dan.

I would ride em' anytime...but maybe sometime after Labor Day would work when it comes to traffic and getting reservations for places to stay. Thanks Dan. :) (y)

Late August through Sept for me. But hey what do I know I'm the guy spending all winter fixing his bike. 🤣
I would like to come back but that dodging snow storms would have me thinking in the future. Thanks Dan.
Hey Stubby, That‘s good to know. You will definitely factor into next year’s plan.

BTW: Never had time to chat about your avatar, but I think we may be housing that dog’s cousin. He’s a beast my wife affectionately refers to as the worst state-dog-in-the-world, but after a year with us he has stopped biting me, so now we are buds. Only has 3 teeth, so the difference is minimal. ;)13BA07AE-0F86-42CF-A6EA-FC6218DF3755.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey Stubby, That‘s good to know. You will definitely factor into next year’s plan.

BTW: Never had time to chat about your avatar, but I think we may be housing that dog’s cousin. He’s a beast my wife affectionately refers to as the worst state-dog-in-the-world, but after a year with us he has stopped biting me, so now we are buds. Only has 3 teeth, so the difference is minimal. ;)View attachment 30757
Haha Dan yes my pic is of a dog named Roost ( yes the roost from a dirt bike ) he is the dog that turned me in to a little dog person. There have been many to follow but only one Roost. Long live the Herd!

Attachments

• DSCN1922 op.jpg
    DSCN1922 op.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 127
Well, I’ve been owned by Dobermans, Rhodesian ridgebacks, German shorts-haired pointers, Pomeranians, Dachshunds, poodles, German Shepards, and Papillons and they have all been both wonderful and amazing. Cheers to you and your pack!

Yes I have information up to minute David. John came home 3 days ago and is doing better. Still in a lot of pain and needs prescription medicine to be comfortable. Looking into having therapy done at his home but nothing has been scheduled yet. His bike is still with Keith in Merced and will be picked up in the next month. His injuries were mainly on his left side. I talk or text him every day and will probably see him at home this coming week. He has told me that he appreciates everyone's good wishes and he plans on riding again after he fully recovers which will take some time.

Yes I have information up to minute David. John came home 3 days ago and is doing better. Still in a lot of pain and needs prescription medicine to be comfortable. Looking into having therapy done at his home but nothing has been scheduled yet. His bike is still with Keith in Merced and will be picked up in the next month. His injuries were mainly on his left side. I talk or text him every day and will probably see him at home this coming week. He has told me that he appreciates everyone's good wishes and he plans on riding again after he fully recovers which will take some time.
Glad to hear he is on the mend.

An update about our rider John that was in the accident. I visited him at his home today and he is progressing well. Finally has seen a few doctors near where he lives and is getting treatment that is helping him. He is still in pain but for the most part it is manageable daily and is much better now than when he first came home. Tomorrow it will have been 5 weeks from when the accident happened. Today I brought him an In and Out burger and a shake ( of course I enjoyed some too) and we roasted some Panama/ Kenya coffee beans for use later this week and next. I think I tired him pretty well. He thanks everyone and I will continue to text/call him and stop by in the future. Keep him in your prayers and keep those positive thoughts coming. :) 🙏👍

An update about our rider John that was in the accident. I visited him at his home today and he is progressing well. Finally has seen a few doctors near where he lives and is getting treatment that is helping him. He is still in pain but for the most part it is manageable daily and is much better now than when he first came home. Tomorrow it will have been 5 weeks from when the accident happened. Today I brought him an In and Out burger and a shake ( of course I enjoyed some too) and we roasted some Panama/ Kenya coffee beans for use later this week and next. I think I tired him pretty well. He thanks everyone and I will continue to text/call him and stop by in the future. Keep him in your prayers and keep those positive thoughts coming. :) 🙏👍
Thanks for the update.

Welp, December wasn’t much on the list — but thanks for the intel! (y) Sierrasjust got a TON of snow, so I’m pulling out my crystal ball and sayin that May is out, and up ‘til mid-June is sketchy. Hmmm, lots to consider over this winter hibernation.

Last edited:
The past two Sierra passes rides have been scheduled in early or mid-October and we have been playing with the weather gods, with each ride coming less than a week after the first snows closed some passes and they were temporarily reopened, and just days before the passes were all permanently closed for the year.

This has me thinking that maybe I might challenge conventional wisdom that no SW events get scheduled in the summer months. Would you brave some heat to ride the mountains, while avoiding potential snow cancellation?
I live by Tahoe and the best Sierra ride time is May, June depending on how much snow pack there is.

Thanks for the feedback. Would love to do May or June, but those are tough months from a planning standpoint.

May is tough because you never know when the passes will open and May is really uncertain. Our first year planning this I called it the Sierra Opener and had an early June date. Then we had to keep delaying it while snow plows worked through May and June and Tioga didn't open until July 1 (unusually late). We had to go with Plan B that year, described it as the Sierra Closer and did the ride in mid-September.
June would be good, but I hate to set a ride like this in conflict with the Nationals.

I'd love to do the ride earlier rather than later in the season. Last year's ride was a bit dodgy with a snow storm on our heels and some riders racing the storm fronts to get home. Maybe that's part of the fun???

Too much in the summer and the ride to the staging area is brutal. Also more traffic in the mountains.