• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

shock settings

dclifford652047

I bought a C10 that has a Progressive shock absorber. The shock is set at its highest setting on the screw adjustment by the previous owner and did not have an air hose. My question is; do I change the setting to a lower rate before I reinstall it? I weigh around 225 lbs. and don't normally have a passenger. I am going to make an air hose so I can adjust the pressure in the shock. Any solid advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_20220602_193301.jpg
    IMG_20220602_193301.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 101
I wasn't aware that it is air adjustable. I thought they were charged with nitrogen from the factory. I have a newer version of this shock. I set the damping to the middle. The spring setting is to adjust the ride height / sag. If you can't adjust the sag properly, a different spring might be needed. If I'm wrong, someone will come along and correct me. HTH

I wasn't aware that it is air adjustable. I thought they were charged with nitrogen from the factory. I have a newer version of this shock. I set the damping to the middle. The spring setting is to adjust the ride height / sag. If you can't adjust the sag properly, a different spring might be needed. If I'm wrong, someone will come along and correct me. HTH
so... after putting on my glasses and reading the fine print, I see that the shock is indeed nitrogen charged and not air adjustable. Thanks for the reply.

Looking at the photo, I can see that the preload is set at it's maximum.
#1 You need to do a sag test and see if the spring is correct for your weight.

You can charge the shock with air if you wish. Nitrogen is a better gas, but not absolutely necessary for normal riding.
The issue is; The air volume in the shock is tiny. So, Adjusting pressure without a proper way of setting/measuring the pressure is difficult.
ie; Just checking the pressure with a std pressure gage would greatly reduce the internal pressure (because of the tiny bit of gas that escapes)

Ride safe, Ted

Bonjour
L'air ou l'azote est le bon pour compenser la variation de volumes lorsque la tige avec le piston s'enfonce, généralement maximum 8 bar