• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bias v. Radial

Either will work fine.
#1} Ask yourself; Are you a corner curver or a long range rider.
Bias Plys last longer. Handle reasonably well. Generally a harder compound. More straight line stability.
Radials handle better. (Have a quicker/lighter feel). Softer compound. More fun in the twisties. Don't last as long.

If you go with a with a 110 front tire instead of the 120 handling improves too. (120 is actually a bit too wide for the rim)
Some use a radial/bias combination with good results.

Ride safe, Ted

+1 on all that Ted said. I've used both. Dunlops, Avons and wing size Meztler 880's that I think had some sort of rubberized rock compound in them to last so long.:) I ended up using radials for the last 10 years.

In the 1st few years of my C-10 ownership, I used the Dunlop sport touring radials. Got about 8-10K out of them with plenty of cupping. When the LD bug bit, I was looking at replacing 3 sets in 12 months. I met a Dunlop rep at Bike Week, and asked him about the differences between radials and bias. Bottom line, not much, for us mere mortals. Originally, I made the switch to Gold Wing sized Dunlops. Later I switched to Avon bias tires in as close to stock sizes as possible. Avons were/are superior in all respects, better turn-in, track straight, and don't cup. At a RWTW, I led a group on Wolf Pen Gap up to the Hole in the Wall restaurant in GA. I've never been a peg scraper, but riders told me they had trouble keeping up. The Avons are plenty sticky, are great in the rain/wet, and yield about 22-25,000 miles. Just sayin.

Larry

I agree with Larry and the miles he got, but Ted may scold you as to suspension set-up and peg scraping, the same thig happened to me on the same roads.

If you want my suspension setup, ping me back.

Ted will respect his elders..............I think.

Larry

I never scold.
(I'm among the many that go too fast, and I do enough bad things that I don't have the right to throw the first stone}.
I merely offer thoughts/comments.
ie; I try to help if I can.
If I recall, I was suggesting/commenting that peg dragging is an indication of improper suspension set up or insufficient weight transfer.

ie; At the COG Track days that we attended; We were taught to transfer weight to keep the bike more upright and assure contact on the edge of the tire, but "not" beyond the edge.
We discussed setting sag (stiffening the suspension) to keep the bike from squatting in the turns.
We also discussed setting the Damping to control the suspension.
All these things work together to reduce peg dragging and improve control.
My Elder / Mr. Buck, can explain better than I.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Ted and I have the same issue with tires, we wear them out in less then 3,000 miles. Those Arkansas twisties shred them pretty quick.
One bias ply tire I had good luck with on my C-10 were the Avon AM-26's. Great handling and decent mileage.

Shopping for tires for the winter. What are the benefits/shortcomings of radials and bias ply tires?
Shopping for tires for the winter. What are the benefits/shortcomings of radials and bias ply tires?
For the C10, I don’t think you can get a better tire than the Avon AM26 bias ply tires. I use a 110 on the front. In 2019, I did over 22,000 miles on my C10, from LA to Fairbanks, LA to Glacier NP to Maine to Georgia and back to LA. I rode on every type of road surface except frozen. Paved, gravel, dirt, combinations of all, wet and dry, and the Avons handled it all, superbly. I averaged 7-8000 miles on a rear tire, and I got over 12,000 on one front tire. I have tried radials, and a radial front with bias rear, but nothing works like the Avons. Having a matched set is nice, also. Heck, I even ran HD tires, but they didn’t corner worth a crap and were a Hundred Dollars more than any other tires.

For the C10, I don’t think you can get a better tire than the Avon AM26 bias ply tires. I use a 110 on the front. In 2019, I did over 22,000 miles on my C10, from LA to Fairbanks, LA to Glacier NP to Maine to Georgia and back to LA. I rode on every type of road surface except frozen. Paved, gravel, dirt, combinations of all, wet and dry, and the Avons handled it all, superbly. I averaged 7-8000 miles on a rear tire, and I got over 12,000 on one front tire. I have tried radials, and a radial front with bias rear, but nothing works like the Avons. Having a matched set is nice, also. Heck, I even ran HD tires, but they didn’t corner worth a crap and were a Hundred Dollars more than any other tires.
I've been telling folks about the AM-26's for several years. Those were the best tires I think I ever ran on my C-10. And they are very good in the twisties. I always told folks that the AM-26's ain't like your daddy's bias ply tires.