• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

17" wheel conversion project underway (with pictures)

jim snyder

Ok a little change of the thread here now that I have the wheels and all of the parts needed. Got a nice Meanstreak rear and
a ZR-7 front. Wheels are at the powder coating place getting the pretty put on them. Got two new 17" Metzlers waiting in the
shop along with new wheel bearings and 90 degree valve stems. As soon as the wheels come back from the powder coating shop
I will post pictures. This thing is about to happen !!! 

Jim Snyder said:
Ok a little change of the thread here now that I have the wheels and all of the parts needed. Got a nice Meanstreak rear and
a ZR-7 front. Wheels are at the powder coating place getting the pretty put on them. Got two new 17" Metzlers waiting in the
shop along with new wheel bearings and 90 degree valve stems. As soon as the wheels come back from the powder coating shop
I will post pictures. This thing is about to happen !!!
You are going to love this conversion. ZX6 sppedo drive will correct the speedometer error. 90-93 ZX6 front fender is a bolt on.

Ok just got the wheels back from the powder coating place and they look amazing. The color is Anthracite Metallic with clear coat.
Now the work begins (as soon as I get a day off). Stay tuned.

Attachments

• 20170117_115137_resized_1.jpg
    20170117_115137_resized_1.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 20170117_115148_resized_1.jpg
    20170117_115148_resized_1.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 0172017124313_resized_1.jpg
    0172017124313_resized_1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 143
Sport Rider said:
Very nice Jim!  Better shine up the rest of the bike to match!  ;D
Uh.. Er..  The wheels do look schweet. But shine the bike?  :rotflmao:

Ok the conversion project is complete. Everything went pretty much without a hitch except for the front brakes. The larger ZX-10 calipers would not got onto the rotors without bumping the wheel. Had to unbolt them and lean them out to get them on and reinstall. But no biggie. The color on these wheels is awesome. I have an old ZX6 front fender coming so it will look more in scale. Can't wait to get it out on the road for a test drive. Thanks to all who gave me input along the way. 

Attachments

• thumbnail_20170126_174357_resized[1].jpg
    thumbnail_20170126_174357_resized[1].jpg
    39 KB · Views: 167
  • thumbnail_20170201_165246_resized[1].jpg
    thumbnail_20170201_165246_resized[1].jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 165
  • thumbnail_20170201_165304_resized[1].jpg
    thumbnail_20170201_165304_resized[1].jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 169
  • thumbnail_20170202_172520_resized[1].jpg
    thumbnail_20170202_172520_resized[1].jpg
    39 KB · Views: 169
Pbfoot said:
Looks great! Nice job, Jim. What bike did the rear caliper come off of?

A Vulcan 900. You have to add a small tab to the original bracket but it bolts right up to the stock Connie
brake holder. I have also modded several C-10 front calipers to fit the rear like this. As a matter of fact that
was the first two pot brake caliper I had on the rear before I did the Vulcan one. 

Jim, why the rear caliper swap?  given that my 2 piston rear locks up the wheel too easy, I can't imagine what a 4 piston would do.  :eek:

Jim built one of these for my C-10. (on mine, we used a front C-10 caliper)
I had the same concerns as you, {I already lock the rear brake too easily}.

But his 2 Pot Caliper mod,,, doesn't lock the rear wheel as quickly as stock..  :??:
  I think this is because the 2 pots require more brake fluid to move.
  So, it takes slightly more pedal movement and gives you more control.

I'm anxiously waiting for his ride report too.
  I ride with him quite a bit and I can confirm what Steve said. He can make his C-10 dance..

{Don't tell Jim I sed that}.

Ride safe, Ted

Sport Rider said:
Jim, why the rear caliper swap?  given that my 2 piston rear locks up the wheel too easy, I can't imagine what a 4 piston would do.  :eek:

The stock C-10 rear brake is a one piston not two. The one I have on the rear now is a two pot not a four. The stock one pot was very easy to lock up.
The two pot gives more braking with less input. And just as important is the fact that it looks cool !!! 

ok, so a point of learning and clarification.  I've always referred to "pot" as the number of pairs of pistons, but when talking "pistons", there's one on each side of the "pot", so to me, I have a 3 pot ZRX caliper on the front which is a 6 piston caliper.

how do you experts refer to them?  this is very important and I'm not going to sleep until I know.  :-[

BTW....Ted volunteered that you are going to make one of these for me to fit to my C10 that'll be running a sidecar.  >:D

Sport Rider said:
BTW....Ted volunteered that you are going to make one of these for me to fit to my C10 that'll be running a sidecar.  >:D

You bet ya. When you get ready send me an old front C-10 caliper and I will fix you up.

Jim Snyder said:
Sport Rider said:

You bet ya. When you get ready send me an old front C-10 caliper and I will fix you up.

you need a left hand one, correct?  that way it's swapped around on the right rear?

Sport Rider said:
ok, so a point of learning and clarification.  I've always referred to "pot" as the number of pairs of pistons, but when talking "pistons", there's one on each side of the "pot", so to me, I have a 3 pot ZRX caliper on the front which is a 6 piston caliper.

how do you experts refer to them?  this is very important and I'm not going to sleep until I know.  :-[

When they refer to pistons or pots it refers to how many pistons are present to push on the brake pads. A stock C-10 rear caliper only has one
large piston pushing from the outside. The inside of the stock rear caliper is nothing more than a brace for the inner pad and does not move but
merely holds the inner pad against the rotor while the outer pad is pushed against the rotor. The two piston I have on the rear works exactly the
same. The two outer pistons are pushing inward but the inner pad is being held against the rotor. An actual 4 pot caliper has 4 pistons two pushing
from each side of the rotor. A six pot caliper is the same, it gas three pistons on each side. So your six pot calipers have 12 pots total. Hope that
explains it.         

Sport Rider said:
Jim Snyder said:
Sport Rider said:

you need a left hand one, correct?  that way it's swapped around on the right rear?

It will be the one pictured. With the large piston on the left and the little tab behind the banjo bolt hole.

Attachments

• C-10 front brake caliper.jpg
    C-10 front brake caliper.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 264
Jim Snyder said:
Sport Rider said:
Jim Snyder said:
Sport Rider said:

It will be the one pictured. With the large piston on the left and the little tab behind the banjo bolt hole.

can you post that pic bigger?  I can't make out the detail.

See Rev, I knowed whut I was talkin' about!!
  Read the posts... Ptttttttt!!!  :p

OOps, I forgot I wuz talking to the Prez...

Changing the subject;
  Jim, don't forget, we're easily confused.

Changing the subject again;
  Eeee'nuff about the rear brake.
        Did you do a test ride???

Ride safe, Ted

I stand corrected.  I went out to the garage to work on the bikes last night and realized I may have been *gulp* wrong.  :-\

I didn't have a chance to get back on here to double check.

I feel so bad.  :(

but not as bad as Jim who hasn't even TEST RIDDEN his bike yet.  ;)

Never admit to being wrong!!
The problem wuz, Jim described it wrong and Rev confused us...  :19:

I agree, Jim must feel terrible.
    I guess he feels so bad it made him use that awful word. {w__k}  arghhhhhhhhhhh !!

Ride safe, Ted

Just guessing but the answer to that question is, "BWAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH! NO WAY IN HECK YOU TWIT!" That's, of course, just my guess but ... . :rotflmao:

Ok got the ZX-6 front fender back from the paint shop and got it installed. A note to any future users of the 90-93 ZX-6 fender.
The bolt pattern is slightly shorter (center to center) than the stock Connie fender. But a little dremel tool work fixed that problem. Made a new fender extender out of a plastic car mud flap and got it installed. Had to re-shim the brake caliper mounting brackets but got that done and ready to install the plastic tomorrow. Due to the shorter front tire/wheel I had to put
the forks back down through the triple tree back to the stock position. But barring any more rain I should have it rolled out of the shop tomorrow. 

Attachments

• thumbnail_20170220_162702_resized[1].jpg
    thumbnail_20170220_162702_resized[1].jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 120