• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

1999 KLR - can you identify these pieces????

legendscar95

Tricycle
It's my buddies bike and I'm trying to help him out.    It's a '99 with some absurb amount of miles and he was changing the clutch and found this in his crankcase oil strainer.....  Bike runs ok so he's not sure when it might have occured, but he would like to identify them.

Thanks!

IMG_20120708_183255.jpg

IMG_20120708_183327.jpg

Looks like it may be the ends of the tensioner spring for the counter balancer commonly referred to as the 'doohickey' problem. The doohickey is a weldment plate that the spring attached too. Both are common failures on a pre 2008 KLR and even post KLR's the spring has limited tension travel.
So typically the ends of the spring break.
Have him join a local KLR tech/wrench session and the replacement occurs at most sessions and he can order a replacement upgrade doohickey and spring from Eagle Mfg. No need to buy the tools as there are available at the tech sessions.
Once failure occurs DO NOT adjust the balancer until repair as any release of tension may allow the chain slack to increase. Best to repair this problem asap tho many a kLR has ran with this problem for many miles.
http://eagle-m-e.com/balancer_system.htm

Dan - I can't thank you enough for the detailed response.  The folks over @ the KLRFORUM thought the exact same thing.

I can't believe COG even answers questions outside of a Concours!!!  :)

Thanks again - this helps a TON.

Hey you are welcome, some of us are multi cult members!  ;)
C10
KLR
Fairlane
Rambler

LegendsCar95 said:
Dan - I can't thank you enough for the detailed response.  The folks over @ the KLRFORUM thought the exact same thing.

I can't believe COG even answers questions outside of a Concours!!!  :)

Thanks again - this helps a TON.