• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2000 C10 Not Starting

ericg73941345

Hello everyone, just got my C10 running and today I went to start it and it would not start. I checked the kickstand switch and cleaned it and tried it and nothing. I tapped the start button a few times and eventually after the 4th or 5th try it started.

Any ideas on where to look? Should I replace the kick stand switch first??

You say you "tapped the start button a few times", did / does, the engine turn over every time you use the start button?

Trouble shoot first. Don't be just a parts changer. It can be expensive. Get into the service manual so you can know all of the items in the starting system and how to test them. Short course is power comes from the battery to the key then the stop switch, start button, relay box. The start relay in the box gets its ground through the clutch switch to ground with the clutch lever pulled in and through the neutral and kick stand switch with the clutch lever out. The relay box start relay is the control for the high power start relay/solenoid

Did you try with the clutch both pulled in and let out. It is a 2 position switch. Next would be to clean the start button. They have been know to get dirty and take several pushes to make good contact. I have also have had luck by just wiggling the button as it is pushed if it is dirty. Next would be to tap on the relay box with the button pushed while is has failed to crank. The kick stand switch can get dirty and gummed up so it doesn't move. You can watch the plunger and see if that is happening. A good blast of WD 40 while you actuate it and listen for it to click. If the switch has broken it will not fix itself while you are trying to start.

It is a good idea to test your safety switches every once in a while. Start in neutral with the clutch out. Pull in the clutch and shift into 1st with the kick stand down the bike should still run. Start to let out the clutch with the stand down and the bike should stop before you move very far. Make sure you do this in a position that the bike could move forward if the stand switch had failed.

Trouble shoot first. Don't be just a parts changer. It can be expensive. Get into the service manual so you can know all of the items in the starting system and how to test them. Short course is power comes from the battery to the key then the stop switch, start button, relay box. The start relay in the box gets its ground through the clutch switch to ground with the clutch lever pulled in and through the neutral and kick stand switch with the clutch lever out. The relay box start relay is the control for the high power start relay/solenoid

Did you try with the clutch both pulled in and let out. It is a 2 position switch. Next would be to clean the start button. They have been know to get dirty and take several pushes to make good contact. I have also have had luck by just wiggling the button as it is pushed if it is dirty. Next would be to tap on the relay box with the button pushed while is has failed to crank. The kick stand switch can get dirty and gummed up so it doesn't move. You can watch the plunger and see if that is happening. A good blast of WD 40 while you actuate it and listen for it to click. If the switch has broken it will not fix itself while you are trying to start.

It is a good idea to test your safety switches every once in a while. Start in neutral with the clutch out. Pull in the clutch and shift into 1st with the kick stand down the bike should still run. Start to let out the clutch with the stand down and the bike should stop before you move very far. Make sure you do this in a position that the bike could move forward if the stand switch had failed.
I tried it in gear and in neutral with both the clutch pressed and depressed. Even in neutral with clutch pressed and even not pressed it still takes a couple trys. I have a volt meter and during the whole process the voltage stay strong

It sounds like the starter switch itself might be dirty. (The Contacts Can be cleaned)

Before you do that, go to the starter relay and jump across the hot lead and the switched lead.
That should make it turn over...
If successful, continue to troubleshoot.

Err, but first. Have you checked the wires "at" the Battery?

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
It sounds like the starter switch itself might be dirty. (The Contacts Can be cleaned)

Before you do that, go to the starter relay and jump across the hot lead and the switched lead.
That should make it turn over...
If successful, continue to troubleshoot.

Err, but first. Have you checked the wires "at" the Battery?

Ride safe, Ted
Wires at battery are good. I did have to take the throttle assy off a few times as I just put new cables. Maybe I loosed up the connector inside??

Thanks Eric