• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2003 FJR 1300

2 years ago I flew to alabama, bought & road my '04 Connie home to Canada. Well I did it again. This June I sold Connie to my father inlaw & flew to San francisco. I'm now the owner of a 2003 FJR 1300.
Here is how they compare:
They both thow heat at your legs, but I like that up here. Though they are unbearable in the desert.
FJR is 70lbs lighter & has 35 more hp. It's quicker & not so top heavy.
FJR's saddle bags can both fit a full face helmet, Connie couldn't.
Connie is more comfortable & provides better wind protection. She has a softer seat & more relaxed leg position both front & back.
Connie is smooth & quiet on the highway. But the FJR is really smooth & always quiet, even around town.
I have a 29" inseam & find I am much more sure footed on the FJR.
In conclution:
Connie is a better bang for the buck & she is more comfortable.
FJR is more fun, fits me better & I love the bags.
I hope to get my wife on the FJR in the future & get myself a C14, but first I think I'm going to try a lowered V-Strom 1000.

As a side note, it was a three week trip that took me through 11 states & two provinces in 5950 miles. Saw the grand canyon, roswell, carlsbad cayons & rode lots & lots of mountains. Was great!

Yeah, the FJR's up to 2005 were known for heat, like the C10 and 08-09 C14's. But in 2006, Yamaha redesigned the FJR (like Kawasaki did in 2010). The newer FJR's do not exhibit any of the heat problems. That makes for a more comfortable ride!

Brings back memories.  I waited seven months for my '03 FJ which I picked up At Champion Cycle in Costa Mesa.  A week later it was packed on the United Van Lines rig along with my "03 TDI Golf headed for Bradenton, Florida.  Three weeks later I traded the FJ for a swimming pool resurfacing job.  I'm not sure how much money I lost but, I was in the pool today... cooling off... playing with my two Labs... had a Corona.  These are the good old days.  Those weren't.