• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2009 Rally and Service Truck

kevin

Training Wheels
So, with the 2009 Rally being in Fontana Dam, NC. Which, for us pacific northwest guys is about 3,000 miles-one way. A thought has occurred. My towing company has a support trailer, drop down rear door, room for tools, spare parts, etc.,probably even a couple of bikes. Is there an interest for a support vehicle to follow behind riders who are going to make this run? And if something happens, have their spare parts, and a place to work on their bikes. Or may just want a break from riding, and would be willing to trailer their bike a ways. I know, I know, a true rider would never, ever, trailer his bike,just putting the thought out there. Would be curious in what others think.

Oh, by the way, this isn't done with the thought of attracting business, but, my sweety and I like to ride, but, with her M.S., she can't ride for that long, sooooo, taking another vehicle seemed like a good idea. Just stringing some thoughts together.

1st things 1st... Don't buy that "true rider" BS about doing whatever you have to do trailerwise. 3,000 miles can be way too long under the circumstances. I think that your offer is a great one and I commend you for the offer. I wish you were heading down from here in CT instead.

Dang Kevin, I KNEW you were a good guy!! Like most of these REAL long-distance guys, I keep a trunk relatively well-stocked with spare parts & tools. But if'n you're planning on a couple of kegs & some dancing girls in that thar trailer......well......that might increase demand a bit! Personally, I have not yet decided on my attendance to the '09 National. I ABSOLUTELY want to, but we can't always get what we want. That is a long friggin haul. And I am pleased to consider you a friend, trailer man... :) Mike B / Gig Harbor, WA

I'll probably trailer myself as well (if I do go). After my encounter with the Hooved Woods Rat 6 years ago, I just can't stay on a bike that long anymore. Also, since our son lives nearby in Chattanooga, my wife will want to go just so she can see him, and she does NOT ride at all. Hell, I trailered to the Bun Cooler from Seattle - I figured I earned my stripes (3 each Three Flags, COG rallies on all coasts, north to Arctic Circle, south to Mexico, and dang near everywhere in between). The Original Rich Reed COG #7 1986 Kawasaki Ninja 1000R 1977 Yamaha XS650 Standard 2004 Little Blue Chevy "Over the hill it's five bucks. Here in Idaho it's a hundred and eighty."

Hi Kevin; I'm interested, I would love to go to the National but simply don't have the time to ride there and back on the bike (much as I would love to) and attend the whole rally. I have a good truck that could tow such a rig Chevy 2500 that has a long bed so it could even fit 2 or 3 bikes there too. I'll happy to loan the truck in exchange for a team to take my scoot down there and back (or most of the way) and a reasonable share of the gas. I would then fly down and meet up with the truck 1 or 2 days out from the National. Thoughts? Colin Colin Prior Cogmos Committee Chairman Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

At this point it is a tentative idea. Depends on how much interest I get in it. Of course the fuel prices will play a big part also. I have an F-350 dually I use for the business so truck and trailer wise, I am ok. It is just how many people are interested, and how fuel prices are, and how much time I can take off. So, far, the idea is starting to grow both here, and on the other forum. So, I will know well ahead of time if it will happen.

Colin said:
I have a good truck that could tow such a rig Chevy 2500 that has a long bed so it could even fit 2 or 3 bikes there too.
Ummm, Colin.... How the heck you gonna fit 2 Concours in the back of your truck, never mind putting 3! I'm not sure strapping them in sideways or stacking them on top of each other is going to go over too well. (now where's that ROFL smiley????) ;) Dave Muir 1980 LTD1000 - Rocket 1999 Concours - Rocket II 1997 Dyna - wife's CT-COG #3649 Merchandise Czar

Ummm, Colin.... How the heck you gonna fit 2 Concours in the back of your truck, never mind putting 3! I'm not sure strapping them in sideways or stacking them on top of each other is going to go over too well. (now where's that ROFL smiley????)
Chevy 2500, it's a big truck, he'd be able to get two in there, three's probably very optimistic unless he's going to stack them as Dave suggests. Of course, it's a Chevy so it'll likely break down twice in transit. ;p ;p

Good question Dave, What you don't realize is that a Chevy 250 longbed is like Dr. Who's Tardis (BBC America) its bigger inside than out. :) Truth is I don't know if you can... The Chevy bed is 64" wide and 8 foot long. And a Connie will fir through a 29" door. So there is a good chance even with the wheel wells you can get 2 side by side at the front. Then if you take the inside pipes off the 2 at the front and both pipes off the one at the back that faces to the rear there is a chance you can get a 3rd in. Removing the pipes is a 5 min job. Course you have to take the bags off, they sit on the floor in the spaces. Hey it's just a thought, us engineering types love a challenge. As I had 3 connines and not that bigger garage I'm used to stacking them so that's another option like you say ;-) Oh I did wonder about putting them sideways too. LoL With the front wheel out and a clamp bar through the axle holes in the fork that goes to a jig that is strapped to the bed of the truck that may work too. Come on Dave get creative LoL Cheers from Soggy Seattle Colin. PS do you still owe me some hats? :)

Of course, it's a Chevy so it'll likely break down twice in transit The above quote brings up another question; If Colin brings his CHEVY pickup, should I also bring one of my FORD tow trucks to tow his chevy?

The Chevy bed is 64" wide and 8 foot long. And a Connie will fir through a 29" door.
My utility trailer bed is 56" wide by 8 ft long. I highly doubt I would be able to get another Connie in there if it was 8" wider. A friends trailer is 80" wide... seems plenty good. Remember that the tie-downs go out on an angle. Loaded Trailer pic -- Steve Smith, #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

"Of course, it's a Chevy so it'll likely break down twice in transit"
That there's "Fightin Talk" Kevin! :) Steve says:
I highly doubt I would be able to get another Connie in there
I feel a wager coming on! :) Colin Prior Cogmos Committee Chairman Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

I feel a wager coming on!
let me clarify my statement: I highly doubt I would be able to get another intact and unaltered Connie in there and properly tied down. -- Steve Smith, #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

let me clarify my statement: I highly doubt I would be able to get another intact and unaltered Connie in there and properly tied down.
Well, that rules out the sawz-all... Mike B / Gig Harbor, WA