• Do you want to post in the COG forum? Join the club (free limited trial membership available) or upgrade/renew your membership to enjoy full posting privileges.
    For simple instructions, click here
  • Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2011 Concours 14 fuel issue

kevinbuckner

I recently purchased a 2011 Concours 14 with very low miles. The bike does not want to pull up thru the RPM range in the upper gears. It isn't missing or stumbling, but acts like it is running out of fuel. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Steve in sunny Fla

Iron Butt
Industry Vendor
One of the only common issues with the c-14 is fuel pump / fuel filter issues. Your issue sounds typical.

Word to the wise, the Quantum pumps seem like a great value, but I have seen several instances where folks had to replace the new pump 2-3 times and still have issues. In each case an OEM pump solved the problem.

Steve

2andblue

Kevin what is the current mileage of this 2011 machine, I see you note very low miles.

Any maintenance records from PO?

How many miles have you put on her - you don’t have a tankful of really old gas right?

I see long time subscriber, is this your first C-14?

IBAJIM

This has been a not uncommon problem. In many cases a new fuel sock solved the problem. Quantum sells them in a 3-pack.

How many miles on your 2011 ??

Here is a pic of my old fuel sock ( on right, of course ) next to a new Quantum fuel sock @ less than 20K miles on my 2008. The old fuel sock was coated with some build-up. I wasn't having a problem, but replaced the sock after reading about the problem on this Forum. I was doing the 20K mile service.

I don't see why you couldn't measure the flow with the old sock and then new sock. If you see a big change, the pump is probably OK.

The fuel pressure regulator could be a possibility, too. It's part of the fuel pump assembly.

Fuel Sock B.jpg

Last edited:

2andblue

Here is a pic of my old fuel sock ( on right, of course ) next to a new Quantum fuel sock @ less than 20K miles on my 2008. The old fuel sock was coated with some build-up. I wasn't having a problem, but replaced the sock after reading about the problem on this Forum.

View attachment 30716
I will preemptively change my sock soon - 17’ with mid 40’s-K miles. Not a lick of trouble here; however with more than 1,000 gallons of fuel having flowed through - undoubtedly there will be some ‘patina’.