• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2012 Rally~ Heading out from Lansing MI

trenchfighter

Road Bike
Im headed to the rally this year...is anyone else heading from or passing by Mi?

let me know if you want to meet up!

Thanks,
TF

I'll be going. Since I'am in Traverse City I will be going over top top thru the UP. Stan from Flushing, Randy from Clio and Curt from Mattawan
have been to the last few rallies. They try to attend the the ride-ins in Michigan.
See ya there.
Richard

Are you guys meeting up and riding over? Id be up for the UP if you are considering a group ride. I'm about 3 1/2 hrs South of you in Lansing...and Im way to familiar with the 127 and M-22!! If not Im thinking about soloing it and trying to complete one of the Iron Butt rides, but this will probably turn out to be my first long ride on the Concours after doing a bunch of work...so needless to say, Im weary!

Hi Ted, 

I've seen your handle on the forum lately, but didn't know you were local.

Glad to hear we have another Connie rider in the state, and one with the fastest C10 color to boot.  Is that a 2000 in your sig pic?

I'll be going to the National.  Have our room reserved and registation in.  Will be leaving several days early, probably Wednesday 6/6/2012.  I'll be meeting my wife in south Arkansas who will have already been there a week at her folks.  Will spend a few days there and ride up on Monday 6/11 to join with the forces in Eureka Springs for the duration.

Its only about 800 miles from Lansing to National, so you'll have to wander a bit to get your full IBK.  Its not hard to s-t-r-e-t-c-h the trip out.  I've managed to convert the 1,000 or so mile trip from Flint area to southern Arkansas into 1,400, but never in one day.

I really like the southern half of Indiana starting around Columbus, IN.  If you take the road through Nashville (IN) you'll be glad you did.  Teal nice roads and scenery in that area.  Its also an interesting ride if you follow the Ohio river (either side) and meander SW for a while towards northern Ark.  It will slow you down on the IB attempt though.  IMO, that area is worth the price of boring 'ole I-69 and an extra motel stay.

Its my favorite way to travel: find squiggly backroads on the map and keep heading in the general direction of your destination.

Stan (Stasch)

I will most likely go early as I usually help out. At this time I have not set the plan. Randy and Stan usually ride together. Curt being from south of you will
most likely take the south way around the lake. Will do more planning later on. Give these guys a PM, there in the dirrectory or the membership listing.
In fact there's that Stan guy right now.
Richard

Stasch I forgot to mention that mine is a 90, which is about one bolt from being a basket case...dont be suprised if I need to host a Tech day (official terminology for a cry for help) to get it back together! You are also in Flint which is 30 mins from me, I actually live in Perry.

To extend my route I was going to drop down into Nashville TN, if I did that it takes me to 1,047 if I remember correctly, but I would have to time it to get around rush hour. I dont know if Ill be able to head out too early, I was going to try and make it a 7 day event for me, which means I will have to leave the rally a little bit early....Im still thinking on it. But my limited time is part of the reason I wanted to try out an IBA ride, kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak.

I just picked up a membership this morning so I will have to start figuring out where all the new bells and whistles are now...especially the membership directory!

Well hey, you're just a half hour from me.  Was just over near there on Coleman road in Haslett to pickup a garage door opener last weekend.

I've been toying with hosting a tech day this spring or so, now that I've got a workshop.

What does your bike need done?

where do I start?

1) I just took out the carbs and have them draining to send to SISF in the next few days...hes giving them the full treatment.
2) Then I have to drop the forks and rebuild them, parts in hand just need to get the fluid.
3) Next I have to get the new tires on
4) Fix some nasty horn wiring that someone hacked together with duct tape
5) drain and replace all fluids
6) Repair some crazy fairing repairs that were done by the PO

I think thats about it for now....oh and Id like to paint it and do some farkles before the riding season starts.....but thats all!!

Will be coming in from Ontario, about three hrs from Lansing. Would probably leave on Sunday as Saturday I'm scheduled to work. Wouldn't mind maybe hookin up with you guys for the ride down. Possibly Simon would meet up with me and then catch up with you guys. Majority of guys from my chapter are from NY and would be cutting through the mid southern states. Still a ways off but still in the planning process.

C14,

That would work out well as I am most likely leaving on Sunday too, maybe we can plan it so you and I meet up, and then head straight south to meet up with the New Yorkers, depending on what type of riding you want to do. But in our case it look slike mostly slab riding anyway due to time constraints.

TF, That sounds good, there will be lots of good roads in Arkansas I'm sure of, so the slab is temporary means to an end. Simon wants to be there Monday as he volunteered to greet the newbies to the rally. The NY's guys are planning this over 3-4 days of travelling to get there so far. Will keep in touch.

Did you want to try to get there by Sun night? Or were you planning on riding Sunday and staying somewhere then showing up late on Mon?

I was thinking of leaving Sun morning and getting there Sun night, I know its alot of miles in one day but I thought that I would just relax and be a newbie and meet people on Monday, for a day of rest if you can call it that!

Did 800 miles plus a few times, not fun. I have nearly 200 miles more than you to do so I'll probably rest Sunday night and join the festivities on Monday. The other alternative is taking Saturday off from work and leaving then and be there by Sunday.

Doesn't matter really, but day time for the better visibility. Only problem at night possibly would be critters and LEO's. Each has its pros and cons. :)

c14painkiller said:
Only problem at night possibly would be critters and LEO's. Each has its pros and cons. :)
LEOs don't generally wander out onto the road in front of your bike!

Critters don't generally pull you over for a citation!

TrenchFighter said:
yeah, I dont want to run over any LEO's thats for sure......"On the next episode of Good Rides Gone Bad.........."

Well I guess he couldn't give you a ticket then. Of course all the other LEO's may be looking for you after that  :-\