• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2012 Spider

Tony K

The dates for the 2012 Spider will be Sept. 20 thru 23 at Huzzah Valley, Steelville,Mo.  More info later on.

Saaaaweeeet, already have it penciled in for vacation. Thanks for the quick heads-up Tony

I am planning on it, but I will most likely leaving Thurs after work and staying with a buddy in Columbia.

I'm going for sure, but what I don't know for sure yet is departure...Thurs afternoon or Fri morning.  Gonna try real hard for Thurs, but there's a lot of water going under my bridge between now & then.

Sent off my registration today!  Signed up with the on-line calendar.  Hope to see everyone there!

Headed your way after my SECOG Fall Rally/Natchez Trace Pkwy ride. I noticed registration is slow, which is likely due to the heat everyone is suffering through. Riders, please do a favor to the rally planners and register up. There isn't an event fee associated with this ride, and you'll let the organizers breath better if there's activity rewarding their efforts.
I travel with high end Bourbon & cigars for the night fire. Anxious to see how ya'll compare to my very hard party types in the SE. This is my second stop on a month long COG rally tour. Stop by in Honenwald, TN and see us if you have the time Sept. 14-16        Al

HEY AL, glad to hear  you are coming to the Spider. I'm going to try to make it to your Trace rally. We do not register On Line for the Spider
but there is a link to our registration form on the COG calender. Early registration is preferred but not mandatory. We usually draw
35 to 50 from 10 or 11 states. You will enjoy.

Tony

Got it Tony. Sent out the form & check to you a few days ago. The camping thing alluded to a pavilion that was a little confusing, as there's actually no camping IN the pavilion. Guess we're all around and near that area. Anyway, I'll ask when I land there to pay the fee. I seem to be able to bumble through a lot of traveling adventures, so suspect I'll get through this one also.  Al

Al,  we have the grassy area on the north side of the pavilion #1  for tent camping. There are RV sites adjacent to the east. If just sleeping in your truck use
your best judgement. Pay for your camping at the office on arrival. Tell them you are with COG and the pretty girls will help you.

Tony

Tony, when you went in and modified the registration page, you lost the ability to see who has registered. You might need to check the RSVP section again.
Anyway, I'm coming to meet new NC members and make new friends, so hope you get a big crowd to show up.
Looking forward to see you all soon. I'm tent camping.        Al

Alright, vacation has been  approved :great:  I will see ya all Thurs evening.
As many of you you know my father rides a Wing; last year I was able to talk him into riding my other C-10. He had a great time but just doesn't like the saddle time; he is kinda spoiled from riding that big ol road sofa.  I think I am going to try something different this year.  I am thinking about bringing my wing  ::) I havent 100% committed to that though.  Sometimes it is fun to muscle those big pigs through the corners. 
Please dont shun us LOL we will still be on two wheels :beerchug:

I thought that I had read somewhere that there were some of the routes for GPS available. I may have been mistaken..it happens often

Time off work: check.
Leaving for Huzzah: Thurs approx. 1300.
Grinning: the entire time.

:beerchug:

Great! Looking forward to seeing you again Tom.
btw  We have 26 signed up already, so it looks to be a good turn out.

Tony

Good number Tony. That's the number we have today for the SECOG Fall Rally. Likely another 5 or 6 that are on the fence or just plain slow.
Looking forward to seeing all you North Central riders. Ain't COG great?  Al

At this point I'm 98% sure I'll be there. Should be alot of fun making back to back COG events!

Cliff  :beerchug:

Snarf said:
I thought that I had read somewhere that there were some of the routes for GPS available. I may have been mistaken..it happens often

Here are some of the rides I have I take no responsibility for accuracy

Attachments

• Spider ride.zip
    232.9 KB · Views: 108
Tony, This is David from Ohio. My son and I will be there by Thursday evening. I'm not too sure about the Chicago guys. We will sign up and pay when we get there. Thanks for putting this on again, its one of my favorites.

Hey Cliff, let's make it a three pete and hit the one in the NE the next weekend. We could really spread our charm around that way.      Al

Hmmmm, Steelville to Davis 601 miles. Could turn a day ride into a 4 day ride by way of? Damn it Al, now you've got me to thinking!

RECALCULATING..............  Did poorly on that one. I was thinking MA in NE (Massachusetts in New England). Jeez, even more miles.    Al

Are there hotels nearby?  I might try if my bother from Chicago wants to come but he's not a camper. He has a very nice Hurricane 1000 which should be a blast in those roads.
Jorge

Jorge said:
Are there hotels nearby?  I might try if I can get brother from Chicago to come but he's not a camper. He has a very nice Hurricane 1000 which should be a blast in those roads.
Jorge
I believe there are a few hotels/motels/lodges in or near Steelville Mo.  A quick Google search should help you out.  I hope you can make it.

Jorge:

There are also Cabins at the Huzzah Valley Resort...http://www.huzzahvalley.com/
not cleansheets and maid service, but it would avoid the sleeping on the ground in a tent thing.  And they are walking distance from the pavilion (where all the lies are told, and the walnuts are launched from the campfire like mortars)

That would have been my choice, if I had my counsin come along on his Victory.  Sadly he couldn't get off of work, and I enjoy sleeping on the ground in a tent  ;D  Also looking forward to breaking out the recently acquired Kermit Chair!

Looks like things are coming together.            30 now registered plus more promises.
David.......Looking forward to seeing you again.
Jorge........What Mizzu Mike said !  I think you will Enjoy the Spider more if you stay at the Huzzah. Much safer if you don't have to ride at night.
Mike.......We have a hollow log for each night to launch nut mortors.
Cliff.........See Ya !

Thanks for the info! Cabins might work and you are 100% right about safety. Since we'd both be riding solo, there would be room for pillows sheets etc. Thanks for tips. We'll see happens...

It's official I'll be there & will be arriving on Thurs. Now I just have to get registered & make reservations. Also I will be bringing another rider.

Tony,

Still no decision (wife) as to whether or not "WE" are going to FL. or not. If things go as usual, she'll get PO'd, at something other than me (LOL), and I'll get to come to the Spider after all. She sure is getting predictable!!!

Anyway, if need be, can I just pay you , the $30.00,  when I get there Thursday afternoon?

Pencil me in as a maybe. I'll be camping.

Thanks....John/Sourkraut

I am thinking of bringing my new to me DRZ 400. Anybody else thinking of doing a little off road riding?

On our way to the Spider currently at Mississippi Palisades State Park. We are going to spend a few days exploring around here and then head for Huzzah. If anyone is in the area feel free to send a PM and we can try to hook up.

Tony,
The decision has been made....Barring something unforseen.....I'm coming.
I'll be camping....Looking forward to my first Spider.
Thanks...John

Tony, laying over a few days near Nashville on the way to your event. We sure dodged a bullet with the weather for the SECOG Fall Rally. Raining all around here now, but looks like we will have good weather for your ride. Still planning to land sometime Wednesday to set up camp. Might get distracted by something and make it on Thursday instead.
Still too warm for me to want to head back to Florida, so I might stay on the road for another couple of weeks.
Good seeing you last weekend.        Al

It looks like there will be at least 5 or 6 of us there Wednesday.  I plan to get there around 5pm and go to town for dinner.  BBQ sounds good to me... :)

Leaving from KC (Downtown) around 11am Thursday (9/20) and stopping in JeffCity to pick up a buddy if anyone is intersted in riding along send me an email.  Most likely going to take the boring US-50 from KC to JC, but after that, who knows.

mspickelmier2004 "at" yahoo.com

Mike

I walking out the door to head that way. My route to get there contains a 275 mi. stretch of non stop twisties. AR. 16 to 9 & on to MO. 19. Damn the luck!

Sounds like a great weekend.  Y'all have fun now and look after Al !! :motonoises: :motonoises:

This is gonna be a busy weekend for me between a cross country meet in Rolla tonight, football game tomorrow night, and my youngest daughter's birthday party on Saturday.  Anybody gonna be riding on Sunday?  I would love to come down and ride with ya'll and maybe get a bite to eat at the Bixby General Store (great sammiches).  :great:

MizzouMike said:
Leaving from KC (Downtown) around 11am Thursday (9/20) and stopping in JeffCity to pick up a buddy if anyone is intersted in riding along send me an email.  Most likely going to take the boring US-50 from KC to JC, but after that, who knows.

mspickelmier2004 "at" yahoo.com

Mike

Mike - I'll be about 2 hours behind you.  Just finished up WorkSux for the day...heading home to gear up & head out.  See you all by dark...

Got home safe and sound this evening.  Had a great time at the Spider again this year.  Hope you guys stay warm out there tonigh.

Here are my photos from the rally.
https://picasaweb.google.com/117964629823874914239/SpiderRide2012

:'( I'm about home, sadly with bike in tow, a broken scapula, fractured vertebrae, and very badly bruised hip and ego. Pics and story at a later date.
I had an awesome time right up to my get-off. :mad:

Great job Tony, you have my seal of approval! Met many good folks & had a great time. I recommend this ride to anyone that hasn't been.

wish I could have made it, but I had a family commitment and a set of squared off down to the wear bars tires to deal with, (that are now fixed, where to next weekend?) I haven't been to the new venue, the last one I had time to make was at alley springs.

I want to give a big thank-you to Leo for driving me to the hospital and the folks that gave up their time to bring my busted up pig-wing back to the campground.
I'm feeling 100 times better today (Mon). Bruises are starting to show up in very strange places. It was still a great ride. I can't wait to do it next year; only with different end results.

Chris, happy to do it and glad you are feeling better if more colorful.

Did you see the photos? the link is a few posts further up. On one of the photos I took out your being centerpunched.

Leo Weisman

Snarf said:
I want to give a big thank-you to Leo for driving me to the hospital and the folks that gave up their time to bring my busted up pig-wing back to the campground.
I'm feeling 100 times better today (Mon). Bruises are starting to show up in very strange places. It was still a great ride. I can't wait to do it next year; only with different end results.

You where missed around the fire.  I wish I would have gotten a photo of you  :) and you giving me the thumbs up sign when you got back to camp fridaynight after your get off.

Chris - glad to hear you're feeling better and your spirits are good.  Looking forward to seeing you again next year.  Take care buddy.
Jeff

Was good to see old friends and make new friends. SPIDER#17 was another success. Here is the final tally.
48 riders from 12 states representing 4 COG regions.
MO 17  IL 10  KS 4    Mn 4    IA 3  WI 3  AR 2    KY 1  FL 1  UT 1  TN 1  OH 1
Thanks to everyone for a great weekend !

Thanks again Tony for another great September weekend in Missouri!  I'd mention all the others that contribute to the success of it, but I don't want to risk leaving anyone out... Thank-you all!!!    :You_Rock_Emoticon:
I've said it before, it's one of our favorites, which is why it's an automatic for the calender each year.   

It was fun to see the photos and relive all of the weekend again. Being with my friend Tony for back to back weekend rallies was a real treat, and seeing old friends and making new ones is what it's all about for me. Thanks for all of your hospitality, and for some great memories. I found myself missing not being on my thumper, but that's the bike I'll take back if I can squeeze this ride in an all too ambitious ride schedule next year. With so many KLR's, we could have a day of two or single track riding, which would be a nice addition to this already great venue.
Thanks to everyone who made this possible and lent Tony a hand with the details. Having done this many times myself, I appreciate the work involved with pulling something off like this.
Hope some of you can make our SE Run With the Wolf in April 2013. And for all of you beer drinkers, I get a keg of Killians Red for the event. Not that a keg would influence your attendance (sic).    Al

Snarf said:
:'( I'm about home, sadly with bike in tow, a broken scapula, fractured vertebrae, and very badly bruised hip and ego. Pics and story at a later date.
I had an awesome time right up to my get-off. :mad:

Was there a turkey vulture involved???  :-[

Glad to hear you're ok! Traci and I are planning a get together in Kentucky so heal up!