• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2016 - SW run to the SC COG Big Bend Rally Oct. 20-22?

CaffeineMan

In the shadow of the Valley of Death
So, I was thinking of making a trip down to the South Central COG Big Bend Rally:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=62870.0

https://cog.memberize.net/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=227322&mo=10&tDate={d%20%272016-10-18%27}

Here is my tentative plan:

Pahrump to Alpine, TX on some of the really cool Arizona and New Mexico roads (4 days):

google map of trip to Alpine TX

10/17 - to Payson, AZ, stay at some decent motel.
10/18 - to Silver City, NM and stay someplace possibly interesting.  It’s a historic town.  Not sure yet.
10/19 - to Carlsbad, NM and stay at the Trinity Hotel.
10/20 - to Alpine, TX, first night of the rally.  The rally hotel is the Maverick Inn

10/21, 10/22, ride the Big Bend rally with the South Central crew.

10/23 - stay an extra day and rest at the Maverick Inn before the ride back.

Alpine, TX back to Pahrump on some different but still fun roads (3 days):

return trip google map

10/24 - to Silver City, NM, or Duncan, AZ, one or the other…
10/25 - to Prescott, AZ
10/26 - back home

Longest actual riding day is probably 400 miles.

Looking for any feedback from SWCOG people on the roads, etc. because most of these roads I've never ridden.

I may be interested in tagging along.......and can certainly provide some input on roads between Pahrump and Las Cruces.  Couple of really good routes into and out of Silver City.  Including OMonaC's wetdream, the 191 between Alpine, AZ and Clifton, AZ.

Tomlinson said:
I may be interested in tagging along.......and can certainly provide some input on roads between Pahrump and Las Cruces.  Couple of really good routes into and out of Silver City.  Including OMonaC's wetdream, the 191 between Alpine, AZ and Clifton, AZ.

Yeah, 191 is on my route (see google map link above)!!!!  I'm just sad it's no longer US-666.

Tom, are you thinking of riding to Big Bend?  Just riding for a day?  Other?

Also, know of any good places to stay in Payson?  Silver City?

Brian, I was in Silver City last July stayed at the Motel 6 less than 60.00( two queen beds) just remodeled was waiting for a friend doing T of H ride let me check in early and leave late.
Got caught in major monsoon they let me use housekeeping dryer for my gear and also park bike undercover by front door. I would stay there any time I was in the area.
We rode 180 (not that impressed with 180) to Alpine then 191 to Eager/Springerville (Trailriders great place to eat in Eager)  than 60 to Show Low and 260 to Payson, this was in the dark so can't say much for the views.
In Silver City did a side ride on highway 15 narrow, twisty, unmarked but very nice views, starts right across street from motel.
If any questions send me a PM.
IMO 191 would be better riding south to north easier on brakes and wrists.
  Scott         

Thanks for the info on US-191 Scott.  Typically I like riding downhill in mountains I've never seen just because I can enjoy the view more.  I don't go wicked fast and tend to use engine braking if possible.  But the road may be too twisty to ride that way.

I stayed at the Murray Hotel in Silver City on a recent trip.  I cannot under any circumstances recommend this hotel.  It is a long story, but it starts with the fact that you cannot control the temperature of your room.  You take what you get,

If I can work things around the dates I'd be very interested in joining up with you for this ride. I'll be coming from Sacramento.

CaffeineMan said:
So, I was thinking of making a trip down to the South Central COG Big Bend Rally:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=62870.0

https://cog.memberize.net/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=227322&mo=10&tDate={d%20%272016-10-18%27}

Here is my tentative plan:

Pahrump to Alpine, TX on some of the really cool Arizona and New Mexico roads (4 days):

google map of trip to Alpine TX

10/17 - to Payson, AZ, stay at some decent motel.
10/18 - to Silver City, NM and stay someplace possibly interesting.  It’s a historic town.  Not sure yet.
10/19 - to Carlsbad, NM and stay at the Trinity Hotel.
10/20 - to Alpine, TX, first night of the rally.  The rally hotel is the Maverick Inn

10/21, 10/22, ride the Big Bend rally with the South Central crew.

10/23 - stay an extra day and rest at the Maverick Inn before the ride back.

Alpine, TX back to Pahrump on some different but still fun roads (3 days):

return trip google map

10/24 - to Silver City, NM, or Duncan, AZ, one or the other…
10/25 - to Prescott, AZ
10/26 - back home

Longest actual riding day is probably 400 miles.

Looking for any feedback from SWCOG people on the roads, etc. because most of these roads I've never ridden.
I will try to make this ride....Never rode in that part of the country....may have others from our Sturgis group last year and our current SoCal team that will want to go. Looks like a lot of fun! Always like an adventure Brian!  :motonoises:  :great:

My friend Jeff is coming along too.

Can't believe there are so many willing to consider a 10-day 2500+ mile ride!

Should be a great time of year to ride also!  I will send it out to see what kind of interest there is! I would guess a group from SoCal would meet you in Payson or somewhere in New Mexico!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

Resurrecting this thread!  I've been planning with my friend Jeff, now that we're back

Route down, starting Sunday 10/16:

Day1 - Pahrump/Vegas to Flagstaff (300 miles)
Day2 - Flagstaff to Show Low (AZ), with a side trip to Seneca Lake (291 miles)
Day3 - to Silver City, looping through 273, then down US-191 Devil's Highway (283 miles)
Day4 - to Carlsbad, through Alamogordo, via back roads as much as possible (356 miles)
Day5 - to Alpine TX, through Pine Springs TX, Van Horn, and the Davis Mountains (233 miles)

Arriving Thursday 10/20.

:motonoises:

Four of us from the South Central Area are going to be coming back from an extended road tip to the BBRTT via Alpine, AZ.  Our tentative plan is to arrive in Alpine, AZ on Tuesday (10/18/16), spend the night and ride 191 and 180 on Wednesday (10/19/16) spend a second night in Alpine, AZ and then head to Alpine, TX on Thursday (8/20/16).

Have a back-up plan because there could be snow on 191 between Alpine and Clifton that time of year. 

C'man and Fred. Keep an eye out for a good spot for a joint SW/SC rally on that Devils Hwy. On my bucket list. Spring 2017?

fred-houston said:
Four of us from the South Central Area are going to be coming back from an extended road tip to the BBRTT via Alpine, AZ.  Our tentative plan is to arrive in Alpine, AZ on Tuesday (10/18/16), spend the night and ride 191 and 180 on Wednesday (10/19/16) spend a second night in Alpine, AZ and then head to Alpine, TX on Thursday (8/20/16).

Have a back-up plan because there could be snow on 191 between Alpine and Clifton that time of year.

Yeah, I figured that might be the case (snow).  How does 180 work as a backup plan?  Never ridden that area at all, so all suggestions welcome.

Looking forward to meeting you, Fred, and the other SC guys.

How many will be be on this trip and what type of bikes, in case I see you?  Wave if you see a Blue '01 Connie and a BMW GS1200.

:great:

Old Man on a Connie said:
C'man and Fred. Keep an eye out for a good spot for a joint SW/SC rally on that Devils Hwy. On my bucket list. Spring 2017?

You betcha, Old Man.

"Reconnnnnnnnnn!"

;D

Although now that I think of it, if snow shows up in November, it may not be gone until at least late spring.  Maybe Fall 2017 is better?

Old Man on a Connie said:
Let's call it late spring early summer  :beerchug:

How close to the National are you willing to get?  'Cause if it's like the Sierra's, Devil's Highway may not thaw out until June.  We need the AZ/NM crew to chime in on the weather...

CaffeineMan said:
fred-houston said:

Yeah, I figured that might be the case (snow).  How does 180 work as a backup plan?  Never ridden that area at all, so all suggestions welcome.

Looking forward to meeting you, Fred, and the other SC guys.

How many will be be on this trip and what type of bikes, in case I see you?  Wave if you see a Blue '01 Connie and a BMW GS1200.

:great:

If there is snow in Alpine, then most likely there will be snow on 191.  You decrease elevation taking 180 out of Alpine, where you increase elevation taking 191.  Now as you travel south on 191, you will decrease in elevation as you get closer to Clifton.  Alpine is about 8,000 feet where Clifton is about 3,400 feet.  As you head south on 191 out of Alpine, elevation will increase up to about 9,000 feet then gradually start decreasing. 

So the answer to your question is yes and no.  180 can be a backup plan, but if they get a pretty good storm in the area, then the northern part of 180, by Alpine, could also have snow.

I have ridden 191 and 180 many of many times in October.  Odds are you will be snow free, but there is always a chance, so I would check before committing.  There are a couple of motels in Alpine, one being the Sportmans Lodge.  He is a motorcyclist and a real friendly guy.  Even if you are not staying there, you could give them a call and he can tell you if 191 is clear or not.

A road to consider out of Silver City is Highway 152.  It is far more fun and scenic than the southern route.  The route from Alamogordo to Carlsbad via Cloudcroft is not bad at the beginning, but does sort of sucks as you get closer to Artesia.  Going south from Carlsbad to Alpine, TX is really uneventful except for the Guadalupe Mountains on 62 and the Davis Mountains.  Still better then trudging down I-10 from El Paso.

Take 118 through the Davis Mountains, it is a very twisty scenic ride and takes you right by the McDonald Observatory. 

There will be four of us, all COG members but only one Concours.  We will be riding a mixture of bikes, one gray Honda GL1800, one red Honda ST1300, one C-14, and me on a yellow Yamaha Super Tenere.  Sorry, but I can not remember the color of Marty's C-14, even though I have ridden with him a number of times.  I want to say it is blue, but I am probably wrong.

Brian you might want to contact AZ DOT about work being done on 260 between Payson and Show Low, we were in Show Low 2 weeks ago people were talking about long delays.
Keep me posted on you route as I might be able to join you for breakfast  in Flagstaff and part of ride on Monday.
Scott

A good barometer of Alpine, AZ is to check the snow conditions at the Sunrise Ski Resort, it is not too far from it. In the past few years snowfall has been low, but can get snowy. I have only been able to ski twice on Thanksgiving and would not expect snow prior to that day. It can get very cold, but I am a desert rat from Phoenix and my blood is thin!  ;D

I would second the opinion of the Sportsman Hotel, rooms are comfortable and the owner/operator is a fellow MC rider. He likes to share stories and give you tips of the area. I would recommend this place as a meeting place for a rally if it is big enough.

Here is my route with Jeff from Nevada to Texas, starting Sunday 10/16, with maps added:

Day1 (Sun 10/16) - Pahrump/Vegas to Flagstaff (300 miles) - Days Hotel Flagstaff

https://goo.gl/maps/fGXckxYU9Rr

Day2 (Mon 10/17) - Flagstaff to Show Low (AZ), with a side trip to Seneca Lake (291 miles) - Super 8

https://goo.gl/maps/Qf99bSdhXMM2

Day3 (Tue 10/18) - to Silver City, looping through 273, then down US-191 Devil's Highway (283 miles) - Motel 6

https://goo.gl/maps/xjQrsaXmB352

Day4 (Wed 10/19) - to Carlsbad, through Alamogordo, via back roads as much as possible (356 miles) - Days Inn

https://goo.gl/maps/FevCfQHLBfu

Day5 (Thu 10/20) - to Alpine TX, through Pine Springs TX, Van Horn, and the Davis Mountains (233 miles)

https://goo.gl/maps/sbbxExJxg332

When you head south on TX 118 from Kent, TX - you will go through a valley and then some tight and nice twisties. When you come out of the twisties you will see McDonald Observatory ahead.

Definitely worth a visit! We usually ride up there from Alpine when we do the northern Davis mountain roads.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iworxlm9rg89e1g/n1O_PzO70H

That's link to the area guide that I rode.

Looking forward to meeting you and welcome to TX.

Craig

kv5e said:
When you head south on TX 118 from Kent, TX - you will go through a valley and then some tight and nice twisties. When you come out of the twisties you will see McDonald Observatory ahead.

Definitely worth a visit! We usually ride up there from Alpine when we do the northern Davis mountain roads.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iworxlm9rg89e1g/n1O_PzO70H

That's link to the area guide that I rode.

Looking forward to meeting you and welcome to TX.

Craig

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll probably skip it on my way down, but may hit it up on one of my "rest" days while I'm there.  I'm gonna be beat down on that 5th day, I think.  Was gonna rest on Friday (maybe hit the observatory?) and target the full southern route on Saturday, then rest and laundry on Sunday before the trip back.

The Maverick provides great coffee:

http://bigbendcoffeeroasters.com/

Their roaster and facility is about 25 miles away in Marfa.

They offer tours and cuppings.

I drink the Sumatran French Roast every morning from them. I used to be a fanatical Ravens Brew guy, but they won me over,

They serve the Big Blend of Texas at the Maverick.

Craig

kv5e said:
The Maverick provides great coffee:

http://bigbendcoffeeroasters.com/

Their roaster and facility is about 25 miles away in Marfa.

They offer tours and cuppings.

I drink the Sumatran French Roast every morning from them. I used to be a fanatical Ravens Brew guy, but they won me over,

They serve the Big Blend of Texas at the Maverick.

Craig

Excellent!

I was looking at Plaine Coffee in town because it's also a laundromat.  Since my Thursday ride into town is short, I figured I'd stop there and do laundry before I checked into the Maverick.

Getting psyched for this and the long range forecast for my ride through the high elevations in AZ is looking pretty good.