• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2017 Regional????

danodemotoman said:
REGISTERED !!!  :great: :motonoises:

Tigger said:
Tigger said:
I need your registration none the less, so let me know if you still are planning to be there and I will get you registered.

Dan -- Are you going to register, or did you need me to do it for you?

THANKS!  See you this weekend! :)

OK, good to have another COGger camping. Have not heard of anyone else.

Charlie_Gary_AAD said:
Dan, I'll be camping as well.  Gonna spend my hotel money on stuff like this.

https://cog.memberize.net/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=243773&mo=8&tDate=%7Bd%20%272017-08-12%27%7D

Just about ready to register as I find out how August is sorting out. Am seriously thinking about camping out with the dog and the other brave souls.  Sounds like fun.

Harry Martin said:
Room for one more, possibly two riders?

Thinking about registering and camping out.

I don't know, Harry.  Are you sure you want to lower your standards that far?  ;)

Charlie_Gary_AAD said:
Harry Martin said:
Room for one more, possibly two riders?

Thinking about registering and camping out.

I don't know, Harry.  Are you sure you want to lower your standards that far?  ;)

With no inseam, I can't get much lower.
Checking the calendar, it's looking good so far.
Gotta check with the MRS (base commander) for any conflicts. Her latest schedule knocked out the National plans. :(

I wonder if I can make it back before the total eclipse on the 21st?
Ya, I should be able to...a C14 is faster than the moon's shadow.  :motonoises:
Anyone heading back my way can stop at my house to avoid the crowds.

I'm going to plan to be at the Regional.

TSE2017_Wyoming

But then again...I look at the calendar, and I see it's my wedding anniversary on the 18th... :-[
I can't win for losing.  :41:

OK Harry. Thanks for the invite.
I am planning on riding to your place after the regional for the eclipse!  :great:

danodemotoman said:
OK Harry. Thanks for the invite.
I am planning on riding to your place after the regional for the eclipse!  :great:

Dan, If you want to camp, we got acres of space.

Wife says she don't mind if I leave her behind during anniversary.  :)

OK will be packing camp gear riding from the regional.
Wow, what a woman you have.  :great:

[/quote]
Dan, If you want to camp, we got acres of space.
Wife says she don't mind if I leave her behind during anniversary.  :)
[/quote]

I just called the Hotel tonight to check on room availability -- [size=12pt]there are only 3 rooms left in the block that I reserved for our rally![/size]  There was one other room available at the time I called, but not in the same block. 

There are other hotels in town, but I have no idea if/how many rooms are available. 

There is camping available at the Fairgrounds nearby - Dan knows more about that than I do!  I didn't realize the campground that I notated in the registration was about 25 minutes away - sorry!

:eek: :-\ :-[ Get your room and register if you're coming - and we hope you are!

Anybody else to camp at Harry's after the regional to view the Aug 21 solar eclipse as the Casper area is near dead center on the path ?

Harry Martin said:

TSE2017_Wyoming

But then again...I look at the calendar, and I see it's my wedding anniversary on the 18th... :-[

My house is located about 14 miles south west of the center of the path. I'm located at the intersection of 220/487.

I'm just glad that the moon is not a magnifying glass.

kid-burning-ants.jpeg

Talked to Lori, they have electricity pedestals out in tent land. So I'll be staying there.

They want us out Sunday morning because some big group is coming in. Shouldn't be a problem.

I'll be rolling in a day or two early, but have to leave Saturday morning (early) in order to get to Kentucky by the 24th.

Probably pack the trailer up Friday and use the tent cot to sleep.

Nope, arriving early, leaving on Sunday with everyone else. Will give me plenty of time to get to Run With The Wolf.

ONLY 2 ROOMS LEFT!!!!! 

If you haven't already made your reservation - do it today! 

If you haven't yet signed up for the rally - do it today - and snag one of the remaining rooms!

Bruce just rode through that area last weekend -- he said they are is pretty good shape ~ Let's Ride!  :motonoises:

Only open from 6 to 9 am and 4 to 8 pm, one way expect 20 min. delays with single lane
Still a month out it could be open all the way by then
I had to go around it last weekend adds 35 min. to trip

wasabi said:
Only open from 6 to 9 am and 4 to 8 pm, one way expect 20 min. delays with single lane
Still a month out it could be open all the way by then
I had to go around it last weekend adds 35 min. to trip

Update: Sr-20 is open to one lane traffic at the washouts. Should be open enough for the regional.   

And you didn't stop and say Hi? Going around the closure via 153 to SR97 is not a bad ride either. I understand pictures don't do the wash outs justice either. Must see in person. Tim

Gonna miss out on this one unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances.  :'(  May try to do the Volcano Run at least, so we can stay closer to the homestead.

Wow, now ....thinking... it is 14 hrs ride from Colville and a little more than one day to ride so that isn't going to work for me.
Thanks for the open invite tho!

danodemotoman said:
Anybody else to camp at Harry's after the regional to view the Aug 21 solar eclipse as the Casper area is near dead center on the path ?

Harry Martin said:

TSE2017_Wyoming

Actually Dan even though it would be grand to run to WY, you would not have to go too far south from your house. It seems OR gets the view first because the eclipse hits the west first. OR is expecting lots of traffic so maybe WY would be better. Tim

Leaving Florida on Wednesday, should be camped at Laguna Seca County Park near Monterey by August 5th.

Leaving Monterey on 14th to fast camp up to fairgrounds.

HELLO HELLO HELLO!

We are looking forward to seeing everyone in 2 weeks. 
  • I just called the hotel and there is still one room left in our block -- and they will not turn anyone away if you miss out on this particular block of rooms.
  • Finalizing the meal and shirt orders!
  • Maps are printed and Bruce has checked out most of the routes -- we are READY!

If you still haven't registered but are planning to come - PLEASE DO SO SOON!!!

~Kari

Called Lori at Colville fairgrounds to double check tent and rv camping. No reservation needed as it a week before the fair.
All tent systems  GO !
Weather out look : 85-88 F

Hey All -- If you haven't registered yet, it isn't too late!  Registrations will also be available AT the event. 

The weather is supposed to cool off a little and hopefully the weatherman IS right and we actually DO get a little rain on Tuesday and Wednesday -- the dry forests could use it and it might make some of the smoke go away.!

Ride Safe all and we will see you next weekend! See you there all!

Kari

Harry Martin said:
Looking forward to the ride and meeting new folks.
Am I the only one from Wyoming?!

Yes you are the only one coming from Wyoming  :( .

See you in a week!

As of Monday, the Colville weather forecast is very good with highs of 83-88F, sunny, no rain for the weekend.

After two weeks of heavy smoke here, the normal wind pattern reasserted itself on Sunday
and we are beautiful now where I live - no smoke drifting down 400 miles from BC. 
... betting it'll be the same in Colville for the meet. 

After two weeks of heavy smoke here, the normal wind pattern reasserted itself on Sunday

I'm north of you and south of Colville....no smoke around my house today at all. Just sunny and hot.

danodemotoman said:
OK, good to have another COGger camping. Have not heard of anyone else.

Charlie_Gary_AAD said:
Dan, I'll be camping as well.  Gonna spend my hotel money on stuff like this.

https://cog.memberize.net/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=243773&mo=8&tDate=%7Bd%20%272017-08-12%27%7D

I just spent Saturday night in my tent in central WA, and I woke up feeling like I'd slept on the ground.  Funny how that works.  I also had to play games with myself to keep from falling asleep while riding curvy mountain roads to get home, and I figured I better not try that two days in a row with a longer ride home than I had yesterday.  Cecil posted a last-minute room sharing opportunity, and I took it and the bed that comes with it.
  I am interested to know which way you're going over and/or back.  Yesterday I tried U.S. 2 and I 90 before setting my sights on Canyon Road down to 410 and home.  I didn't want to go as far north as 20 just to find out it also developed a miles-long west-bound back-up, but east bound on Friday is different.  Looking for someone to follow/follow you over to Colville?

Thursday 85  Friday 88 Saturday 85 Sunday 86

Max chance of rain is 2% on Friday and Saturday, 1% on Sunday

Should be an awesome weekend for riding.  Hope Bruce is able to get the water pump changed on his bike that sh*t out on him yesterday morning  :mad:  :'(

Ride safe all  :motonoises: and we will see you on Friday (or earlier for some  :great:)  ~ Kari

Ha Ha Ha --  This is the first time is has ever broken down -- I has over 135000 miles on it.  Not bad I'd say!

Charlie,

Did not want to spend much time on the I-90 slab.
Will leave I-90 and take US 97 north to Tonasket and WA 20 to Colville.
Mileage about 370 from Graham. 7 hrs riding time. arrive 9 hrs at approx 4 PM?
Can meet you in Cle Elum? I expect to leave about 6:30 AM Fri and arrive Cle Elum 8:30. Coffee and gas.
Anybody else welcome to join on the route. Tim?

I just spent Saturday night in my tent in central WA, and I woke up feeling like I'd slept on the ground.  Funny how that works.  I also had to play games with myself to keep from falling asleep while riding curvy mountain roads to get home, and I figured I better not try that two days in a row with a longer ride home than I had yesterday.  Cecil posted a last-minute room sharing opportunity, and I took it and the bed that comes with it.
  I am interested to know which way you're going over and/or back.  Yesterday I tried U.S. 2 and I 90 before setting my sights on Canyon Road down to 410 and home.  I didn't want to go as far north as 20 just to find out it also developed a miles-long west-bound back-up, but east bound on Friday is different.  Looking for someone to follow/follow you over to Colville?
[/quote]

Will leave I-90 and take US 97 north to Tonasket and WA 20 to Colville.

Dan, probably the best and fastest route. That would take you through my town but Cecil and I are going on Thursday a day early.

The Route Cecil and I were planning to take has now changed and we are going 97 North to 20 at Tonasket. Then continue onto Colville.

We were thing of taking 21 but the Reservation has shut down some roads due to fire hazard. As of today 8/16 21 is subject to closure due to smoke and little visibility. I think the prevailing west wind will blow the smoke west and below Colville. My hope anyways. 

Any of you Washintonians see any issues with this route to Colevile? I'm going to leave early tomorrow morning.

Map

Gumby said:
Any of you Washintonians see any issues with this route to Colevile? I'm going to leave early tomorrow morning.

Map

Looks OK from what I know.  The only closure I know of is SR410 between Yakima and Chinook Pass, but you're not going that way.  I don't know everything though, so something else may have restrictions.

Gumby said:

Only observation is  that at the end, riding along the lake (Columbia River) is pretty and lightly traveled - you could just ride up to Kettle Falls along the lake and then circle back 8 miles to Colville.

So Tim and I arrived Thurs at 7PM.

And drove right by the motel even tho we were both looking for it. 
So watch for the motel sign labelled the Colville Inn - not Benny's.

Anyone who is camping, set up behind my tent. If you need electric I have a long outdoor extension cord.

$5 / night and host has forms or I have a couple they gave me.

Made it home. 900 miles, 16 hours later. Saw 3 wrecks and had to shake one drunk who latched onto my tail light.
80 to 90 MPH all the way home. C14 averaged 50 MPG with the helpful tail wind. AWESOME bike!

I was very touched by everybody's concern on my later arrival, so I will just let all know I made it home safe and bug splattered. ;)

Had a good time meeting up with everyone and being able to put a face to a name that I have seen on the forum.

Took the scenic route home.. ferry then....Coulee dam and Dry falls...   
                                            hopefully will be on my bike next time we meet up

Took WA 25 south along the lake and then WA 28 to Wenatchee. US 97
Made it home by 5 PM after detouring one to avoid the I-90 backup heading to Snoqualmie Pass.
So went E on I-90 to Ellensburg then Yakima Canyon/Yakima and US 12 where the reader said WA 410 was still closed somewhere inside Mt Rainier Park.
Detoured again continuing on US 12, just takes another hr to go around the mountain.
Dispatched many, many, many slow vehicles on US 12.

WHAT A FABULOUS WEEKEND!!! 

Thank you one and all for your friendship and kind words!

'Til we meet again ~ Ride safely! ~~ Kari

ZXtasy said:
I was very touched by everybody's concern on my later arrival, so I will just let all know I made it home safe and bug splattered. ;)

There was some concern when we heard there was a motorcycle crash. Wayne and I saw a Sheriff's Ambulance heading out of town. I have never seen a Sheriff's Ambulance before.

One of out fabulous ladies asked the gal at the motel desk if she could find out anything. She could and had an in with the Sheriff's office. We found out it was indeed a fatal with a Harley Davidson involved. We were saddened to hear it was fatal but relieved it wasn't a C14.

It was nice finally meeting you. I hope you found the group good people. You did miss the evening sitting around the picnic table cause that happened Friday night.

and what Kari said.  Tim   

Nice regional rally.

Organization good.  Location surprisingly good.
Riding options.  Route descriptions provided, too!

Restaurant next door to motel opened at 6AM, nice breakfasts!  And a couple bucks less than my home-town.
Can you spell: eggs-benedictqtat?  Or scrambled eggs w/ jalepenoes and cheese, ooh, so hot!  Bacon waffles were also on the menu...

Posting some photos -

Group photo:
IMG_1428%20crop%20smaller%20-%20Copy_zps7jiugwhn.jpg

Mingling
IMG_1424%20smaller%20-%20Copy_zpsfb2rshih.jpg

Out for a ride, with support vehicle
IMG_1400%20crop%20smaller%20-%20Copy_zps7ft7ocbt.jpg

Stopping for a break, with scenery
IMG_1407%20crop%20smaller_zpsdxhotizc.jpg

Charlie discovers the only place to eat in Chesaw, WA
IMG_1408%20crop%20smaller%20-%20Copy_zpssy5ekn4t.jpg

Those responsible ... ! 
IMG_1426%20crop%20smaller%20-%20Copy_zpscrjid2rx.jpg

Kari, Tom and Bruce.

Rally central:
IMG_1439%20crop%20smaller_zps482wpmbr.jpg

Restaurant, next door
IMG_1441_zpsxvlxn5im.jpg

Thanks for posting these Cecil!  I was just trying to do the same thing and it kept kicking me off!  Now I know why! LOL!  Thank you for taking the group photo.

Huge thanks to all who put in the hard work of pulling this off. So glad to meet new peeps, far and wide. Maybe some day Moses Lake will host a rally...who knows.

ZXtasy said:
Huge thanks to all who put in the hard work of pulling this off. So glad to meet new peeps, far and wide. Maybe some day Moses Lake will host a rally...who knows.

The hardest part of hosting a rally is deciding to do it.  ;)

If you're serious about wanting to see an event centered in Moses Lake, let an AAD or AD know, and one of us will help you pull off a motorcycling miracle.  :motonoises:

danodemotoman said:
  Took WA 25 south along the lake and then WA 28 to Wenatchee. US 97
Made it home by 5 PM after detouring one to avoid the I-90 backup heading to Snoqualmie Pass.
So went E on I-90 to Ellensburg then Yakima Canyon/Yakima and US 12 where the reader said WA 410 was still closed somewhere inside Mt Rainier Park.
Detoured again continuing on US 12, just takes another hr to go around the mountain.
Dispatched many, many, many slow vehicles on US 12.

How many deer did you see on 25?  I counted at least 8 on my way down to U.S. 2.  There were enough to make me think the speed limit was too high, and the state patrol guy got me dead to rights doing about 53 mph in a 55 zone.  I took 2 to Wa 174 and headed up to Grand Coulee so I could ride Wa 155 down the east side of Banks Lake, followed by going south on Wa 17 past Soap Lake and into Ephrata.  From there I went down Wa 28 & 283 to George, where I got on I90 to cross the Columbia and head up the hill to Canyon Road, where I went south to Yakima and picked up U.S. 12 to go west over White Pass like you did, with about the same circumstances.  I also dispatched a number of slow vehicles on both Wa 123 & 410 west of Chinook Pass.  It was a very pleasant 412 mile ride across the great state of Washington.

Charlie,

I had 4 as I left town at 6 AM.
Then another dozen as I was entering Casper, WY around 10 PM.  :-[

Damn scary.

I made great time rolling west. Headed out about 6:15 and arrived home 318 miles later at 11:45. Only saw one forest rat a bit west of Republic. Few cars on the road, once I cleared Collvile/Kettle falls only came up on 4 until I hit Tonasket.

As for the po-po, one Sheriff west of Washington Pass on Hwy 20, and a group of 6 WSP motors near Marblemount heading east. They were all riding 2x2 so I am guessing were doing training.

Hate to say it, but this trip kind of reinforced my thoughts of selling my C14. It certainly has the edge performance wise over the Mustang, but the Mustang is hands down more comfortable and has about 80% of the C14's fun factor when it comes to throttle and curves.

At this point I'd like to think there will be a shorter/lighter bike in my future, but as little as I have been riding the past few years, it is kind of hard to justify.

4 forest rats on WA 25 going south. One dead fawn on road side.

Charlie_Gary_AAD said:
How many deer did you see on 25?  I counted at least 8 on my way down to U.S. 2.  There were enough to make me think the speed limit was too high, and the state patrol guy got me dead to rights doing about 53 mph in a 55 zone.  I took 2 to Wa 174 and headed up to Grand Coulee so I could ride Wa 155 down the east side of Banks Lake, followed by going south on Wa 17 past Soap Lake and into Ephrata.  From there I went down Wa 28 & 283 to George, where I got on I90 to cross the Columbia and head up the hill to Canyon Road, where I went south to Yakima and picked up U.S. 12 to go west over White Pass like you did, with about the same circumstances.  I also dispatched a number of slow vehicles on both Wa 123 & 410 west of Chinook Pass.  It was a very pleasant 412 mile ride across the great state of Washington.

Lone-Rider said:
I made great time rolling west. Headed out about 6:15 and arrived home 318 miles later at 11:45. Only saw one forest rat a bit west of Republic. Few cars on the road, once I cleared Collvile/Kettle falls only came up on 4 until I hit Tonasket.

As for the po-po, one Sheriff west of Washington Pass on Hwy 20, and a group of 6 WSP motors near Marblemount heading east. They were all riding 2x2 so I am guessing were doing training.

Hate to say it, but this trip kind of reinforced my thoughts of selling my C14. It certainly has the edge performance wise over the Mustang, but the Mustang is hands down more comfortable and has about 80% of the C14's fun factor when it comes to throttle and curves.

At this point I'd like to think there will be a shorter/lighter bike in my future, but as little as I have been riding the past few years, it is kind of hard to justify.

You can exemplify "Join for the bike, stay for the people".  It's not like we get to talk when we're riding anyway, so how you get around while spending a day or few with fellow COGers isn't really relevant.

You can exemplify "Join for the bike, stay for the people".  It's not like we get to talk when we're riding anyway, so how you get around while spending a day or few with fellow COGers isn't really relevant.

Indeed! It was nice to see and visit with Wayne! I am sure a shorter lighter bike would equate to more riding.

Couple of photos forwarded to me by Island Bob for posting...

Attachments

• 5E445A2D-5E18-48F5-A830-F7E8DC565D4D.jpeg
    5E445A2D-5E18-48F5-A830-F7E8DC565D4D.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 139
  • D3880E1F-336E-411F-9D14-2787E90CDD1D.jpeg
    D3880E1F-336E-411F-9D14-2787E90CDD1D.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 133
In the above top photo, The Mustang Grill...we stopped there for lunch.
I ordered the Blue Cheese Burger. Man, that was awesome.
Never had one before, but it was spot-on-perfection with a side of potato salad.

Nice ride Wayne!

How about an HD? They are way lower to the ground. My sister in law is 5 foot nothing and rides one. Well, maybe 5'4"....maybe....