• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2018 KAW Z900RS

jdsco

Certainly excited to see a Z900RS on the road.
Honda's CB1100 attempt to revive the CB750 Four was short-lived.
Found my pictures of my first two motorcycles, a 76 KZ900 that I bought new and a 75 Z1B demo that I bought one year later.
I was now financed to the max, thank goodness I had a job. I have no pictures of the 75 for some reason. Probably because it wasn't my "first bike but it was the bike I dreamed about when I was 16. To me, the Z1 started my motorcycle interest. It wasn't the Honda CB750, the Suzuki GT, the Yamaha RD or the Kaw Mach III triple. It was the Z900!

Attachments

• KZ1.jpg
    KZ1.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 153
  • KZ2.jpg
    KZ2.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 160
  • KZ3.jpg
    KZ3.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 138
It did not take long to lose the guard, the rack and the chrome exhaust. Opted for, what would be known as farkle, paint, Kerker, K&N's, rear shocks and frame gusset kits. Forgot to mention that 70's invention known as Armor-All.

Those were good times!

Attachments

• KZ4.jpg
    KZ4.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 148
  • KZ5.jpg
    KZ5.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 157
+1 Something like these were what I had in mind when I wound up with a C-10. Just think of what I'd have missed... :))

Those are some great pictures. I was 10 when the CB750 came out and I was smitten. Man, I can still see those beauties rolling down the street in Abilene, Texas circa '68-'69. When the Z1 came out I remember thinking how can a motorcycle ever be more perfect than this.

My cousin had an H1 and his buddy had an H2 when I was a teen, and I loved those things.  Later when the Z1 came out I forgot about those because the z1 was perfect.  I was in a dirt bike stage at that point so I didn't get one for myself.  A friend of mine bought one though and because he had more money than brains he added a cam and carb job before he even brought it home.  One hot summer day he asked me to ride it to see what the top end was.  He had tried and backed off at 110mph.  The road out of town was newly paved with asphalt and was hot and sticky.  I got it to 135 before I started thinking of what could go wrong at that speed.  It had plenty left, so I have no idea what the top end was.  It took some time to stop the shakes when I got off. 

One of my brothers had a '73 Z1. He is already in love with the new Z900RS and will probably have one in the garage as soon as they are available. He's waiting for them to hit the stealership floor.

Wow the darn thing does look like a Z1. They even have a retro looking rear passenger grab bar as an accessory.  If they really want to go retro someone should come out with a sissy bar.  ;)

My second motorcycle was a 74 Z1.  Loved that bike and it took me from Fla to AZ.

The first motorcycle was a Kawasaki S3 350 triple. That little bike had some snort and would run circles around a 750 4. The main problem and the reason I had it only a year before getting the 900 was it was a  chore to ride the thing any distance. I was done for the day at 200 miles. It was like riding with a weed eater in both hands. A H2 was pretty smooth compared to that 350. Actually a H2 wasn't all that much different from a Z1 vibration wise.

I wish I had a barn full of H2's though. 

This was my 3rd street bike, a direct descendant of the Z900.

Setup similar to a C10 which could explain how I ended up with a red 2000 C10 some 20+ years later.

Had matching Vetter lowers for colder weather.

Great memories of the Z1. I traded my dirt bike for  a '75 red Z1B after riding shotgun on a friend's.
Scared to death after seeing the cartoons of the body flailing behind, arms just hanging on.
Two weeks later we're at the dragstrip. That was just the beginning...

gpd323 said:
I picked up my RS last week. Its a cool little bike.

Greg, show us some pictures if you can. I think Kawasaki is going to sell the heck out of the 900RS.

Aren't all the in line 4's double over head cam motorcycles  a direct descendant of the Z1 900? Suzuki was nothing more than a copy. 

After reading this thread I went and looked online a the Z900 RS, it does look mighty fine. I had a 500 triple back in the mid-70s. Just never could come up with the cash for a Z1 or a KZ1000. The 500 triple was a wheelie beast with a top end of around 110-115 mph. But it handled poorly. So when I grew up(at age 53 or so) I purchased a 1984 ZN 1100, a shaft driven Z-motor. Bike is nearly 100% original with minor upgrades. The 1100 Z engine has more low end torque than the C10 for sure. I tried to attach a photo of it. If the photo does not attach correctly, just google "Kawasaki ZN 1100" you will see the  Z1 influence. I do agree with everyone else, I think Kawaski will sell a few of the Z900 RS.

Attachments

• BACK LEFT QUARTER.jpg
    BACK LEFT QUARTER.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 140
Greg, congratulations. I really like that bike. I hope they have one at the motorcycle show that's in town this weekend.

gpd323 said:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1IHVJSDbFLugdoPC2

mine
Nice!

The mid 70's Honda CB750 was SOHC not DOHC

Jim you are correct.  ;)

Trouble is Honda was the only one with a single cam inline 4 back then. A 350 Kawasaki triple could run circles  around that 750.

TimR said:

Aren't all the in line 4's double over head cam motorcycles  a direct descendant of the Z1 900? Suzuki was nothing more than a copy.

I agree with your point but that pic was of my 79 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK II - same engine as the Z900.

Kaw put out 4 versions of the KZ 1000 then.  The MK II, a café racer style, a shaftie and a 'custom'.

I saw the z900 today..
Pretty cool bike.
I've had several KZ's in the 70's. My first car was a KZ 650.
Had my first flashback seeing that 900.
To the guy that bought one.. how does it feel? Post some pics.

Hi Darin, Greg posted a link to his new 900. Scroll up a few replies and you will see it. I saw the 900 at the motorcycle show this weekend. I would be proud to own it.

I also seen the Z900 at the Motorcycle Show at the IX Center in Cleveland.  Kawasaki did a wonderful job on this retro bike.  It was nice to see the chrome pipes including from the exhaust headers all the way back, the muffler is also very compact.  The rear portion under the seat doesn't quite look retro but I'm sure it was because of the single shock swingarm which I would rather have instead of the dual shock setup.  I'm 57 so I grew up in the 70s and really liked the 900 when it came out but never did own one.  I liked the Kawasaki 900 but was never a fan of the 1000.  I remember back in those days I would look at the quarter mile times first when I received my Cycle magazine in the mail.  I bought a 74 Yamaha RD350, 77 Suzuki GS750 and Suzuki 80 GS1100E instead around that period.  I would like to own the new 900 but I already have 2 motorcycles and don't need anymore or want to get rid of what I have. 

I have seen six of those 900s , reminds me of when I could t afford a fast bike.  Saw a 2018 wing today ,it sure looked nice , but not a bike I would buy.

didn't see this post before I posted

I am in love (don't tell my wife).. as someone who rode 76 900 and a 78 KZ1000 this bike brings back so many memories. Was at the dealer today and sat on it, man it felt nice and didn't feel near as heavy as my 78....

Ah if money was no object :(

I often toyed with idea of buying and old 75-78 900 or 1000 but why do all that work to restore when you can get one of these

currently working with a dealer on getting one, im shopping him as i need to trade another in to fit it (currently have 12 bikes tagged and titled). best deal ive gotten is about 1k under msrp, but they need to work on my trade in value a bit more.  :nananana: they def don't want to come off the price much in general, but i may have one soon enough.  Might wait until next year when the general public is less excited about them.

Found brown/orange 1 at Kawasaki City in Irving Tx.

Out the Door price (out of state;tax/title to be paid in your state) for $10,509
                            (In state w/tax/title) $11,337

Good/bad price?

Ride safe, Ted

well the msrp for 10,900 and low volume dealers pay 9,700 for them. (ive seen the invoices). however... depends on dealer incentives from mfg, local tax rates, etc. etc.