• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2022 SC COG Wildflower Rally April 1-3 2022

fartymarty

SC AAD
fyi: It will be a while before COG registration will be open (December?) but for those that wish to block time for this event it will be April 1-3 2022 (no A.F. joke) at the usual location of River Inn and Conference center in Hunt Texas. Room reservations can be obtained by calling (800) 841-0501. Tell them you are with COG and that you would like a room below the dam (unless you want to be a bit standoffish in which case then above the dam). Studios and one bedrooms are $110 per night and two bedrooms (not as many available ) are $125 per night. Rooms have stoves, fridge, and utensils for cooking although some event meals will be planned. Many who attend show up on Thursday (3-31-22) if able, to get in an extra day of riding the Three Sisters and other good roads in the area. I picked the dates to miss Easter and the MotoGP at COTA but the event at COTA could get moved as it's dates are provisional at this point.

With everything that has transpired during our last orbit of the sun we are hoping to be getting out on the road more and The Wildflower ride looks like a good place to start. BUT now that Ted has announced we may have to rethink this whole thing. On second thought I actually miss you Ted!

Lovelle 4446

Crazy GoldWing Mike and I will most likely be there seeings how I had to bail out early last time. Looking forward to seeing all of you crazies again.

fyi: It will be a while before COG registration will be open (December?) but for those that wish to block time for this event it will be April 1-3 2022 (no A.F. joke) at the usual location of River Inn and Conference center in Hunt Texas. Room reservations can be obtained by calling (800) 841-0501. Tell them you are with COG and that you would like a room below the dam (unless you want to be a bit standoffish in which case then above the dam). Studios and one bedrooms are $110 per night and two bedrooms (not as many available ) are $125 per night. Rooms have stoves, fridge, and utensils for cooking although some event meals will be planned. Many who attend show up on Thursday (3-31-22) if able, to get in an extra day of riding the Three Sisters and other good roads in the area. I picked the dates to miss Easter and the MotoGP at COTA but the event at COTA could get moved as it's dates are provisional at this point.
Howdy ! I also plan to be there
Ride Safe
Marcel

fyi: It will be a while before COG registration will be open (December?) but for those that wish to block time for this event it will be April 1-3 2022 (no A.F. joke) at the usual location of River Inn and Conference center in Hunt Texas.
I didn't quite make the December opening, but the 2022 SC COG Wildflower Rally is now on the COG calendar and is open for registration.😊
Thanks to Mark Wojcik for his kind assistance in getting this on the calendar. (y) 👏

I'm working on getting this time carved off so as to minimize the aggravation of having to negotiate last-minute with the boss ladies at home. I was over there this past July when the temps were sweltering. Smoked a fairly new set of tires on that smokin' hot, very abrasive tarmac. April should be early enough in the year to minimize melting the tires off in a single trip. LOL

On the calendar.

We'll miss the Thunder in the Hill Country Rally that we were able to experience in 2021!

It's being held a week earlier in 2022.

Heck no, don't want all those Harley riders clogging up the roads like they did last year. Not to mention all the accidents from those fools not being able to ride and crashing without helmets.

Steve

Want me to reschedule? :ROFLMAO:
:p😈
I wouldn't want you to miss the Naughty Nightie contest. o_O
No need to reschedule Marty.

One 'Thunder in the Hill Country' rally may be enough for this lifetime.

Although Crazy Goldwing Mike and I had a fun time meeting the pirates last year.

Well I just joined the madness. Good news, bad news? Leslie, my better half may not be able to make it.

With only 4 of us registered as of today it might be real peaceful out there. I am not sure I like that or not. I will already be missing friends.

signing up today.
will be great to see everyone. Joshua will be carrying a pack somewhere in Camp Pendleton, Ca. Not going to make it.
Its sure going to be different without him there to argue and antagonize with.

Its sure going to be different without him there to argue and antagonize with.
Want us all to pitch in and give you some grief at the event?...we just want you to feel at home and not be sad.
Some of us could even call you "Dad", and "slow" if you'd like. Perhaps I could get some of the taller guys to call you "shorty"? :p
Obviously, to get the full benefit you'd have to fill us in on what some of his favorite things to argue about are since none of us eavesdropped. :rolleyes:

Robert, I know a certain Marine DI that I can ask; to come and "encourage" you... <evil grin>

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Just got registered. Looking forward to seeing y'all and enjoying the great roads in the area. Is anyone heading down from the DFW area on Thurs?

Hi Folks
This is a new event for me. Any GPX routes available? Places to eat lunch Friday, Saturday, and Sunday on the way back heading south and east ?

Hi Folks
This is a new event for me. Any GPX routes available? Places to eat lunch Friday, Saturday, and Sunday on the way back heading south and east ?
Friday eats I suggest Cooper's BBQ in LLano it'll be perhaps too busy on Saturday? I have never cared much for their BBQ sauce but
I think I'm in the minority on that (Yankee palate) however the rest of the food is outstanding including the Blackberry cobbler. Maybe overpriced
a bit even before the pandemic, but hey! you're on vacation!🤗;):)

I rarely eat lunch in the area so I can't really recommend anywhere since the hot dog place in Barksdale closed :cry: 😪☹️😥
Years back I've eaten dinner at Vinny's Italian in Leaky but their menus is smaller now and I've never eaten lunch there.
The last place I ate lunch was at the Alamo Springs Cafe over on the Crab Apple Loop route. Food was good but it was busy on a Saturday.
I'm sure Ted will have some suggestions.

I'm not sure about south and east on Sunday, it's never been my direction of travel.

Some old .gpx files attached

Attachments

• wildflower routes.zip
    375.6 KB · Views: 147
UPDATE: I think that covid has declined enough that we will be able to provide some meals at this year's Wildflower rally.

Here are my thoughts. Friday night: we will be having chili, chili dogs, frito pie, salad, ice cream, iced tea.
Saturday morning: English Muffin with egg and sausage pattie. Coffee
Saturday Night after group photo: sliced beef brisket & Chicken from D i c key's BBQ Pit, potato salad, beans, ice cream, iced tea

Since the registration fee doesn't cover food, donations will be accepted to cover expenses for same at the venue.

For those unfamiliar with the area, the venue is not near town and considerable deer are in the area. So even though it would be much easier on myself and my helpers to just round up everybody for a ride into town and get separate checks at a local restaurant, being tired from riding all day, driving unfamiliar roads in the dark, and a healthy deer population...it seems safer to eat at the venue. Of course you can prepare your own meal in your room, or go into town to eat but please be cautious if the latter is your choice. Then come back safe and talk to us around the outdoor fireplace. (y)

Last edited:
This year, pls make sure that everyone is on-site before taking the group photo? LOL

Also, if anyone can grab me a pair of those Mama Kawa sunglasses that’d be sweet (this means you Ted 😉).

Really wish I could join in the fun, and finally meet y’all in person! Starting a new (dare I say it?) J O B in the next two weeks or so and have another class kicking off this coming Tuesday, and daughter has a concerto coming up… so yeah, family / dad stuff.

Also, if anyone can grab me a pair of those Mama Kawa sunglasses that’d be sweet (this means you Ted 😉).

Get in line buddy, I can't find those things anywhere, I kick myself for not being greedy and only grabbing one pair at the national last year.
Must have been 50 or more pairs just sitting on the table, but do I think about the future?....I do not.... and I just grab the one pair. GRRRR DOH!

OH, by the way, Ted isn't registered yet (nudge nudge), I just checked the list. If he can't make it then I hope he sends Judi. (🤫 everybody likes her better anyway. 🤫)

Last edited:
Sounds great on the food Marty, we'll get you covered on the expenses.

Ted- what the heck, you can't have Kidney surgery right before Wildflower. Hope you heal up and doc gives you the green light. I always enjoy proving my black C-14 is faster than your red.

Steve

Blackberry Cobbler.......can't get that out of my mind ......with a big scoop of Blue Bell vanilla on top!!!!

Hello, I just registered and will tomorrow book a room "below the dam". Looking forward to this! This is my second in-person COG event - my first was a camping visit to the KOA at Cortez CO for the 2015 National Rally. There I had a great time with many folks who took me in, in particular backroadbob from AZ. (I met up with him again a few years ago in Hatch, NM - not sure if he is still active). I've been following the Forum but lurking as I've been busy with work and kids - now retired from the Army.

Next weekend! Where did the winter go? Better wake up from my hibernation. 25 peeps on the list. Yeah

Marty, thanks for doing food. It does make life better for all of us...except you. You should be able to get your money back. When I use to do it I always did donation based. Each year we got too much money put in and the next year I had to add more free food to spend it down.

Hi Folks
The apple store, bakery and cafe in Madina is a fav of mine and might be on your route.

There is construction on FM335 and in places that means it is down to one lane with flag persons or automated control lighting. These FM or RM roads are all chip and seal in this area so that means lots of stray gravel along the areas of construction. FM335 in the northern section has many roller coaster hills with rock walls next to the road with guard rails on the other side. Please be careful and the first riders to go through can give an update to those arriving later.

The new attendees who ave not ridden these roads could "buddy up" with those who know them well. If you want a more relaxed "flower sniffing" jaunt, Ted would be glad to assist!!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Yupp. I'll be happy to assist. (Unlike others whose name I won't mention 😜 )
Just had some minor surgery so I'll be cruisin' more'. (so I won't be waiting for Craig as usual)

Note that I didn't say "Craig"/kv5e.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Talked to Troy and he's gonna be there too.

There is construction on FM335 and in places that means it is down to one lane with flag persons or automated control lighting. These FM or RM roads are all chip and seal in this area so that means lots of stray gravel along the areas of construction. FM335 in the northern section has many roller coaster hills with rock walls next to the road with guard rails on the other side. Please be careful and the first riders to go through can give an update to those arriving later.

The new attendees who ave not ridden these roads could "buddy up" with those who know them well. If you want a more relaxed "flower sniffing" jaunt, Ted would be glad to assist!!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO:
Here is the link to DRIVE TEXAS, you might as well use it to plan your routes to the Rally. It appears HWY 55 will be having some repair pains as well.

I rcv’d my start date today so I’ll be trying to make a day trip over from the SW side of Houston. It’s about a 3.5 hour ride each way to and from, so I may be with the intermediate speed group. These Road 2’s I picked up yesterday got installed this morning (thx Ted!) and feel really nice compared to my worn out ContiMotion set.

I’m kinda excited to meet and eat with the crew! 🥸🤙

There has been a wildfire in rural Media county so keep the possibility of fires in the back of your mind and plan accordingly.

modez_20220328_1500_animation.gif

Rain forecast for Fri-Sat evening as forecasted in the ECMWF HiRes synoptic model. Does not look like a washout and likely not much of a problem.

GFS mostly keeps it out until Sunday afternoon during the ride.

FWIW, appears that 336 is outside the smoke and will be clear (which means more traffic).
335 appears to be mostly inside the smoke zone according to the fire map (link above from Marty), and if I remember correctly I saw someone said something about 335 having construction going on.
At least half of 337 from Camp Wood heading east to Leakey looks to be within the smoke zone as well.

Just thought I'd put it out there. If anyone is in that part of the property and can scout ahead that'd be super helpful.

Prayers for clear blue skies and low traffic! :^ )

Events for April, TX

Texas Motorcycle Events​

texas-flag-state-150x150.png

The Texas Bike Week Event list features motorcycle events and rallies. We've made it our goal to make it easy to find bike rallies in your area. Contacting event coordinators has never been simpler as we provide as much promoter information as possible.
Warning: Although the Texas Motorcycle Event List is updated daily, event information can change without notification.

April​

BMW Riders Hill Country Hideout

Apr 1 – 3, 2022
Kerrville-Schreiner Park
Kerrville, TX
View More

Texas Fandango

Apr 1 – 3, 2022
Gillespie County Fair and Festivals, Inc
Fredericksburg, TX
View More

Texas Vintage Motorcycle Fandango

Apr 1 – 3, 2022
Gillespie County Fairgrounds
Fredericksburg, TX
View More

Looks like we may have a gaggle of Beemer's roaming around the Hill Country. Much prefer them to the 1000's of Harley's we encountered last year. Weather looks nice according to the NWS.

1648503594366.png

Will not plan to ride around Medina Lake, which is where the fire it at. Hopefully they should have it contained by Thursday.

Steve

Ok Gr33nman, time to stop stacking money and spend some...go get you one....a H2 that is.
I hear tell there might be one at the Wildflower for you drool over...please use a catch cup as you approach it just in case.:D

Last edited:
I hope everyone had a good time getting down there today.
Anyone hit any road closures or wildfire smoke issues today?
“Crazy GoldWing Mike Now On A Connie 14” (his name is getting longer) and I will be leaving tomorrow morning at 8:30 sharp from a Quiktrip off I20 west in Weatherford for a spirited ride down to hill country. You’re more than welcome to join.
2001 S Bowie Dr
Weatherford, TX 76086
United States
Text me if you’re running late- 817-532-2647
Andre

Sorry fellas, momma has other ideas for my weekend. Wish I was going to be able to join y'all, but I'll be there in spirit.

Make sure to take plenty of pics and share the ride logs when time is available. TIA !!! :^ ) AB

Home/Houston around 2:00.
Rode with 2 new guys on Saturday.
It was a lot of fun seeing them experience the Hill Country and riding with COG.
{I'm sure that they'll be back!}
Had a great time!

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Joane and I got back about 3;00 pm yesterday. Thank you to Marty, Butch, Doug, and all the volunteers we had a great time.

I had a great time. Thanks to Marti and others that put on a great rally. I was about to share my wildflower pics but I figured your imagination may be better. Enjoy.

fyi: my research would indicate that the bugs we saw all over the trees in the parking lot were Box Elder Bugs. Mostly Nymphs from the coloring. I'm guessing that the trees there must be Box Elders? :unsure:

Last edited:
Those are colloquially known as stink bugs (or are grouped together with them) because they smell just as foul.

And they'll make a mess of the paint on your vehicles if you don't wash them off pretty quickly, but they're not quite as bad as the love bugs that'll pit the paint on a hot day in the sun.

BTW, y'all went riding in TX Hill Country and the only picture you brought back to share is of THESE nasty fellers? LOL

Those are colloquially known as stink bugs (or are grouped together with them) because they smell just as foul.

And they'll make a mess of the paint on your vehicles if you don't wash them off pretty quickly, but they're not quite as bad as the love bugs that'll pit the paint on a hot day in the sun.

BTW, y'all went riding in TX Hill Country and the only picture you brought back to share is of THESE nasty fellers? LOL
patience grasshopper.

I didn’t get a chance to join in this trip because the wives set up a lunch in Galveston (and in all honesty I prefer sleeping on the bed in my master rather than the couch in the TV room). LOL

Attachments

• 84AF4050-4044-4A80-9AE9-E931BD1CAB10.jpeg
    84AF4050-4044-4A80-9AE9-E931BD1CAB10.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 9F3A93BF-280D-4FB4-892A-827B2A73C8B4.jpeg
    9F3A93BF-280D-4FB4-892A-827B2A73C8B4.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 4C66E060-A527-4853-9AC8-7A6F5819CE2D.jpeg
    4C66E060-A527-4853-9AC8-7A6F5819CE2D.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 127
  • AE6CF9F1-EE7C-4DFF-9976-DE6C985F2E6D.jpeg
    AE6CF9F1-EE7C-4DFF-9976-DE6C985F2E6D.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
COGer's,

Thank you all for a great event - my second one (the first was the 2015 National Rally in Cortez, CO). I can imagine the work and effort of all involved and thank you - in particular Ted for showing me the ropes, Marty and crew for the great food, and the South Central leadership and membership for welcoming me and taking me in. And I can't forget the carrot cake - I'll be back just for that - thank you. (I can't remember who made it - too much alcohol that night, but thank you!)

The roads were great, the weather was wonderful (cooperative), the Inn was beautiful, but the people made it the best!

My return trip to El Paso included riding with Robert from Las Cruces, NM (his C14 had fuel pump issues earlier and we decided to ride together), and it turned out he saved my bacon - I caught a nail in the rear tire near Balmorhea TX. We departed before early Sunday and avoided many deer before daybreak (thank you for the heads-up on that danger). Robert comes prepared - he had all the tools, devices, and then some, and after a quick tire plug we were on our way again. Makes me rethink my current tool kit (just a battery connector screw driver). I've been lucky - thank you Robert! He made it home safely as well. Thank you all.

-Bob Church

Last edited:
Had a great time at the Wildflower Rally, even though I saw more wildflowers on the way home. Big thanks Marty and Butch and everyone else for putting this event on again. The roads were in very good condition and the traffic wasn't bad at all. We even managed to have a fire without starting a wildfire.

See y'all next time.
Jim & Rae

Sorry I missed it this year guys, it's all the wife's fault, I swear. Maybe next year.
Well we missed you too Fred, however there was one guy there with a car tire on the rear wheel of his C14 so maybe the Mrs. saved you from undesirable internal aggravation. (now just where did I put that friendly stick poking emoticon..I think maybe Ted stole it. :sneaky:)