• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

$23.50 Zumo 550 Install With Photos

Poser

Big Wheel
I putted up to Whitehorse Gear today and picked up a simple RAM mount and installed my Zumo in about 30 minutes using only two hex wrenches and some zip ties. The RAM mount screws right into your clutch mount screws. Here's a link to the $12.50 mount from their web site: http://www.whitehorsegear.com/ram-mount-clutch-brake-single-ball-base Here's a picture of it mounted:
mount.jpg
Note: I had an extra ball and mounted it before doing the installation. You can spend an extra $10 and get both as seen in this link. It also shows the standard installation with RAM spacers and screws, which is slightly different from my job. I had a couple of longer hex screws and used them instead of the spacers. http://www.whitehorsegear.com/ram-mount-clutch-brake-double-ball-base Next, I removed the center piece on the top of the gas tank and the right top piece of the fairing. You may have to **** around with the plastic pin under the windshield to get top of the fairing off. My bike is brandy new and I discovered that the pin was missing. In this case, it worked out to my benefit. Under that piece you can easily find the wires for your power outlet. The plug in conveniently where you can easily get at them. I simply stripped the wire back a bit on the Zumo cable and inserted it and re-plugged the two connectors. Make sure you match the red wire from the power connector with the red wire from the cable. Here's a lousy picture, but you will get the idea.
hookup.jpg
I used some zip ties to secure the wire and get it out of the way:
wireroll.jpg
And Voila! Done!
finished.jpg
Note: I also use the short mount arm I had on hand, so my cost was $12.50, but you can buy one for $11. Here's the URL So... While I have one of those fancy rigs coming from Murph, I managed to do the whole job in less than a half hour for $12.50 plus the parts I had laying around from my last bike.

Thanks a lot for the excellent post. The info on where to pick up the power for your Zumo was especially useful. Two questions if you don't mind; First, you mention removing the "right top piece of the fairing". I assume this is a fairing piece on the headlight side of the front fairing? Seoncd, is the existing power pickup you used the one that supplies the existing cigarette lighter plug? Or, is there another connector available in there? This assumes you have a 2010 since you said the bike is 'brand new'. Again, thanks much for taking the time to post this useful info.

First, it is the piece just under the left hand grip. You have to remove the piece from the top of the gas tank as well. It has three screws and a plastic pin under the windshield. There were a ton of wires under that section, but no obvious hookups that I noticed. Since the power outlet is switched, I figured it was a good place. I use the same spot on my Electra-Glide and have had no problems in 10 years. It is a 2010 ABS model. I suspect the power outlet wiring is the same, however. I would have wired it directly to the battery, but just damn! Trying to get at anything without removing the fairing and gas tank is impossible. I considered a wiring block under the seat, but all of that space has been taken up by ABS and traction control stuff. I suspect I will be doing very much less work on this bike than I did on the 2004 Connie I used to ride or the V-Strom I just sold. I'm having a hard enough time figuring out all of the new controls. Half of the manual is in badly translated Japanese.

Another way to hook up the power: Whitehorse has a Powerlet coiled Zumo cable. You could replace the standard cigarette lighter plug with a powerlet plug and have a detachable cable. I prefer the direct connect because it leaves the power outlet available for other things.

More good info! The bike I have is also a 2010 ABS. Agree, the user's manual is hard to figure out.Good thing the bike itself is so good. The manual makes reference (I think) to extra connectors for accessories. As much sense I can make out from the manual these extra connectors are located under the seat and to the left of the instrument panel. Plus, on the left side of the instrument panel there is that 'blank' of the same size and shape of the accessory outlet on the right. However, you have been in there (the left side) and didn't see any obvious connectors. Saved me some work. I've ordered the factory service manual, maybe that will help. Right now I just am using the factory cigarette lighter.

The schematic shows two pairs of extra connectors that should be plastic covered plug-ins. I didn't look too hard for them because I knew I wouldn't have to solder any connectors using my method. The other thing I noticed is that the available schematic shows wire colors that don't match the 2010. It must be the previous models. Even thought the power socket had a red wire and a black wire, I still checked the polarity with a meter.