• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

250K, I made it!

Wow, Congratulations on the impressive milestone!

That is a lot of miles but I bet even more than a million smiles!

Does anyone have Cliff beat or is this the number?

Way to go Cliff,

Wayne, Carol and Blue

Does anyone have Cliff beat or is this the number?

Wayne, Carol and Blue

I'm positive there's some out there with more miles, this cannot be the only 250K C14 around. I would like to know others experiences at this mileage.

So if you know of any let us know.

Congrats Cliff !! Can you give us a synopsis about any major problems you have had over the last 250K miles ?

And what type of oil & filter do you use and how often are they changed ?

Saw it with my own eyes!! Great to have met you Cliff, congrats on this accomplishment!!

Still think Mother Kaw should know and swap you for a new motor!!

I do appreciate all the congrats. I guess I meant to be for the bike much like the mileage award stickers, all I've done is sit on it a LOT.

Congratulations. Get some good pictures and put it on the cover of the CONCOURIER!

Nah, maybe a little write up on maintenance. Everything that has been done is recorded, right down to air filter cleanings.

Congrats Cliff !! Can you give us a synopsis about any major problems you have had over the last 250K miles ?

And what type of oil & filter do you use and how often are they changed ?

One little electrical ground glitch that caused a lighting problem while out of state, still rode it home without issue. Last month in CO I had a fuel issue, once again I rode it home. Pretty sure it was the pressure regulator, replaced regulator, pump, filter & rode to NC this past week without issue. That's the only issues I've had.

Been using Rotella T6 for the past 225,000 or so. Use mostly Wix filters with a few K&N & OEM thrown in the mix.

The TIRE industry ought to give Cliff a free set and use him in a commercial. Way to go Cliff. Great to see you this weekend and glad you got home safely.
Ron

Only 1 set Ron?

I do appreciate all the congrats. I guess I meant to be for the bike much like the mileage award stickers, all I've done is sit on it a LOT.

Nah, maybe a little write up on maintenance. Everything that has been done is recorded, right down to air filter cleanings.

One little electrical ground glitch that caused a lighting problem while out of state, still rode it home without issue. Last month in CO I had a fuel issue, once again I rode it home. Pretty sure it was the pressure regulator, replaced regulator, pump, filter & rode to NC this past week without issue. That's the only issues I've had.

Been using Rotella T6 for the past 225,000 or so. Use mostly Wix filters with a few K&N & OEM thrown in the mix.

Only 1 set Ron?
Times are tough…🤣

I'm positive there's some out there with more miles, this cannot be the only 250K C14 around. I would like to know others experiences at this mileage.

So if you know of any let us know.
I have often wondered what kind of miles on David Snell's 08. He just seems to keep rolling them up.

Congratulations to the rider and the great machine! Seems fitting that you need to fill the tank again. You have filled it up at least 1250 times to go that far!

I'm not even close. I hope to finish up this year over 140k. Most of the miles have been abusive miles, probably equivalent to pulling a big trailer behind a little truck.

I have no doubt .....and that is pretty honest . You seem to roll at will so I have always wondered. Flog that thing. Heading back to the Spyder?

Well he has flogged it a bit in the past. :devilish: I remember him riding it from AK to FL and doing the Jennings track day then ride it home. I believe this was only 2 years ago. o_O They don't go easy on the bikes at this event! Way to go Cliff. It was great seeing you and the rest of the bunch this past weekend.

SNIP .......
SNIP .......

Cliff:

What did the fuel filter ( sock ) look like ? Did it looks anything like the old one on the right :

Fuel Sock B.jpg

My 1st two filter changes looked like that or worse, this time it actually looked pretty good. Picture is of my 1st change & from what I've seen from others they typically look like yours.

Attachments

• 20160322_164141.jpeg
    20160322_164141.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 136
Holy smokes! I'm sure it sounds like a 'FNG' question, but at what mileage are those fuel socks changed? Now y'all have me wondering what frequency and whether this is due to getting gas at Buc-ee's vs Shell. LOL

And congrats to all you road warriors out there, especially Cliff as he memorializes this incredible odometer click. A bit of extrapolation and we can estimate the total cost of all those miles of smiles (and it ain't cheap), but the memories can't be quantified. Very cool!

I'm eager to see a writeup on maintenance! Thanks for sharing this with us! :^ ) AB

Theres a thread on the filters here somewhere. They arent part of 'regular ' maintence. They're actually buried within the fuel pump itself. Common symptom is bike seems to be short on power, if i remember correctly..

Theres a thread on the filters here somewhere. They arent part of 'regular ' maintence. They're actually buried within the fuel pump itself. Common symptom is bike seems to be short on power, if i remember correctly..

Thank you kind sir. I will do a search on it. Appreciate the clue on where to begin.
Hope you have excellent riding weather, and nothing on your honey-do list that keeps you from getting out for a spin this weekend!
Cheers, AB

Theres a thread on the filters here somewhere. They arent part of 'regular ' maintence…… Common symptom is bike seems to be short on power, if i remember correctly..
Ted’s machine doesn’t have a fuel filter obviously…

(Before Cliff sez it o_O) I don't have e'nuff miles on mine for a filter problem.
("and" I've found that the Nitro helps keep the filter clean)

fyi: In post #18, Cliff mentioned a Fuel Pump Regulator.
We've seen a few pump problems lately that turned out to be the Regulator.
All were confused with a dirty filter. {I didn't even know we had a regulator}

Ride safe, Ted

Last month in CO I had a fuel issue, once again I rode it home. Pretty sure it was the pressure regulator, replaced regulator, pump, filter & rode to NC this past week without issue. That's the only issues I've had.
Hey Cliff. Did you put in another quantum fuel pump or go with an different brand? Since my quantum fuel pump went out after only 1500 miles, I am still a little gun shy on the brand, but seeing as how the OEM is not available, there was no other choice. The fuel pressure regulator is tucked away inside the fuel pump housing, not easy to see even when you take the fuel pump out.

They arent part of 'regular ' maintence. They're actually buried within the fuel pump itself.

I don't think Kawasaki even list them as serviceable. Somebody just figured out how & what filter to use I believe, Fred H. maybe.

Hey Cliff. Did you put in another quantum fuel pump or go with an different brand?

Yes a Quantum. What Steve is referring to is that I replaced the pump at 212,000 as preventive maintenance because I knew the OEM would fail sooner or later.

How many valve adjustments?

3 - 1st at 66,260 & 8 tight, 2nd at 117,110 & all were tight 2 with almost zero clearance, 3rd at 194,925 & all good.

I just have miles, I'm by no means a expert on these. It's worked for me, but that doesn't mean do as I did.

I don't think Kawasaki even list them as serviceable. Somebody just figured out how & what filter to use I believe, Fred H. maybe.

Yes a Quantum. What Steve is referring to is that I replaced the pump at 212,000 as preventive maintenance because I knew the OEM would fail sooner or later.

3 - 1st at 66,260 & 8 tight, 2nd at 117,110 & all were tight 2 with almost zero clearance, 3rd at 194,925 & all good.

I just have miles, I'm by no means a expert on these. It's worked for me, but that doesn't mean do as I did.
I have been trying to talk myself out of doing it again 😁. Thinking it's a crapshoot so maybe I should peek at it this winter.

I have been trying to talk myself out of doing it again 😁. Thinking it's a crapshoot so maybe I should peek at it this winter.
I waited to 30 for my first time, mistake - all were outside specification to the tight side. No apparent damage to valve seats. After completion much better compression.

I was going to wait until 60K, but I’m curious what our new higher RPM engine use has resulted in (valve tightness?) or if after the 30K seats don’t compress further into the head…? Also I enjoyed the zen-like focus and learning.

I waited to 30 for my first time, mistake - all were outside specification to the tight side. No apparent damage to valve seats. After completion much better compression.

I was going to wait until 60K, but I’m curious what our new higher RPM engine use has resulted in (valve tightness?) or if after the 30K seats don’t compress further into the head…? Also I enjoyed the zen-like focus and learning.
I did mine at 34 or so. All but 1 were in spec but at the low end. I moved them up to the high end.
PO rode it pretty mildly , the new owner not so much.

SNIP ....
We've seen a few pump problems lately that turned out to be the Regulator.
All were confused with a dirty filter. {I didn't even know we had a regulator}

SNIP ....

BTW, any motorcycle or car with fuel injection will have a fuel pressure regulator. For motorcycles, usually inside the tank with the fuel pump or for some cars, on the fuel rail.

BTW, any motorcycle or car with fuel injection will have a fuel pressure regulator. For motorcycles, usually inside the tank with the fuel pump or for some cars, on the fuel rail.

You are correct sir. The system will not work consistently without one.