• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

250K oil analysis results

Those are impressive numbers even if the bike had half as much mileage. The only negative thing I've heard about using Rotella is it has high zinc and phos numbers (ppm) and can leave a coating on O2 sensors, which could cause a rich condition. Still very impressive considering the mileage. Thanks for posting the Blackstone doc, I might have to try them out.

I sold my 2002 C10 with 116,000 miles on the odometer two months ago. Rotella T6 was my motor oil of choice most of those miles. Good stuff. I'm now using it on my 2009 C14.

Cliff, is the shifting as good at the end of the oil's life as it is in the beginning? I have tried T6 in 2 different bikes, and the good shifting went away just after 2000 miles. Heck, Shoodaben felt like the transmission was broken, it was so bad.
Steve

Cliff, is the shifting as good at the end of the oil's life as it is in the beginning?
Steve

Yes, the bike shifts very smooth thru the entire life span of the oil even when run past the change interval. I have always upshifted without the clutch though. Next time I ride it I'll have to try & remember to use the clutch to see how it does.

I have never once had to add a drop of oil between changes for what that's worth.

Here is my 250K oil analysis compared to my 200K results. I have been using Rotella T6 for approx. the last 225K, there are naysayers I know but it works.

But Cliff, aren't you supposed to test the oil after it has been used and not straight out of the bottle? :devilish: :ROFLMAO:

All kidding aside, this is great information and thanks for providing it. Your bike has an excellent owner that takes very good care of her. I have no doubt the 300K report will be very good as well and I see no reason why Rotella should not be used going forward.

Thanks, Jon

Be interesting to see how many miles one can get from these motors with regular servicing, good lubricants, etc. before a top end rebuild is required. Some of the GL1500 Wing/Valkyrie contingent have racked up in excess of 500k on theirs. I'd like to think both of my C14s (possibly a 15-up added to my garage at some point too) will be "rest of my life" rides, as both of my Valkyries (possibly a third there too) will.

If I put 15k a year on every bike I currently own, they'll probably outlast me - and if I hold together properly I have at least 20 more years of riding left.

This might seem odd to post, but I think it bears consideration. Cliff's bike was one of the very first - maybe THE first bike I flashed (other than testers) back in 2015. I think his bike had around 100,000 on it then. I have seen comments here on the forum about how flashes cause all kind of potential issues with fueling, longevity, etc. Now we have some objective information about whether or not a good flash impacts longevity or not.

Steve

Here is my 250K oil analysis compared to my 200K results. I have been using Rotella T6 for approx. the last 225K, there are naysayers I know but it works.
I say youā€™re correct. Iā€™ve not seen anyone do that that I know. Iā€™ve been running that in my stuff too.

Well done Cliff. Keep putting on the mikes..

Side note;
At my last oil change, I listened to others, and put Mobil 1 in, instead of the Rotella.
Immediately noticed that the shifting was worse with the Mobil 1.

Ride safe, Ted

Totally anecdotal and coincidental no doubt....
Side note;
At my last oil change, I listened to others, and put Mobil 1 in, instead of the Rotella.
Immediately noticed that the shifting was worse with the Mobil 1.

Ride safe, Ted

While we're on side notes ...and I'm sure it's just a coincidence :unsure: (and anecdotal) ...but..when I broke the tooth off of third gear @ approx 44,000 miles, my bike was full of Mobile 1 Racing 4T 10W-40. It was the one and only time that I didn't use T6 other than the oil that was in it when I bought it new and the oil that the dealer put in after they replaced the gears (3rd & 4th) . I still use Mobil 1 10w-30 in my PT Loozer (250,000+ miles) but haven't used it on the C14 since( 104,000+), just T6.
End of side note.

For what its worth, I've had Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40 in my 2013 C-13 since new, changing every ~7,500 miles year-round with no issues. I'm at 84K miles now. I also do not have any issues shifting here in north AL.

I like what I am hearing re: Rotella, but I don't believe I will risk the change since I have a good thing going ... at least w/ this current bike. :)

I think there are a couple of key things to a long engine life:
Never let it overheat
Don't run it near redline
Don't run it out of oil
Don't do any radical downshifts
When Cold let it warm up a few minutes before flogging it
IMHO
Nick
2014 C-14

Don`t run it near red line !! you must be talking about your Harley. I have been riding 4 cylinder Kawasakis for 21 years and they always see red line at times.

Just saying
But
When you run an engine up to the design max, there are tremendous stresses induced.
I personally don't see the point or the need.
But thats just my style!
Nick 2014 C-14